• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player - Questions!

K

Kuroyama

Hello,

I played from start up to 2008. Recently, I had the nostalgia itch, so I'm back! Many of the new changes look interesting, and I was particularly happy to see gargoyles as a PC race. Ultima VI was my favorite, so that should come as no surprise. ;)

Questions!

1. Is Luna still the primary hangout on most shards? My established characters are on Legends, but there was only a few quiet people there.

2. What happened to the Kingdom Reborn artwork? I thought it looked really nice, at least from the screenshots.

3. Can someone please help me with *starting* attributes and skills for a 'traditional' gargoyle? I guess that would mean throwing and mysticism emphasized. For better or worse mechanically, I am a role-player to the end. ;)

4. Is the gargoyle city a good place to start, or should I stick to New Haven? I experimentally started a new guy in Ter Mur, but wasn't finding many quests -- and a monster outside town about handed me my butt.

Thanks for the help!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
1. Is Luna still the primary hangout on most shards? My established characters are on Legends, but there was only a few quiet people there.
First, WB!! Always good to see returning players. Sadly imo yes the main hangout is Luna. But with the addition of gen chat you can still see what is being spammed at the bank for sell etc.

2. What happened to the Kingdom Reborn artwork? I thought it looked really nice.
It's still around. Kingdom Reborn became the EC you hear folks talking about.

3. Can someone please help me with *starting* attributes and skills for a 'traditional' gargoyle? I guess that would mean throwing and mysticism emphasized. For better or worse mechanically, I am a role-player to the end.

Honestly I am not sure. But you can probably find good templetes here: UO Warrior | Stratics Forums

4. Is the gargoyle city a good place to start, or should I stick to New Haven? I experimentally started a new guy in Ter Mur, but wasn't finding many quests -- and a monster outside town about handed me my butt.

Yeah, stick to New Haven and some of the older dungeons. Avoid Shame, Wrong and Covetous tho, they have been revamped and can be rough, especially for new or in training chars. Most of the critters in Ter Mur are nothing compared to some/most of the critters in those dungeons now.

Vivacia

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back! Tis always a pleasure to see a wanderer return. If Legends is too lonely, hop over to Catskill's.

K

Kuroyama

Hello!

Thanks for the replies. I did forget one other question ...

I happened to notice that my account was only showing as having existed for 10 months. Obviously, as someone who played from the start, that is incorrect (and I imagine it's impacting my vet rewards). Is there something I should do?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They only count the months paid on the account. There was a problem not too long ago with the account age not updating correctly not too long ago. Take a look back at how long you think you actually paid on the account and if 10 months seems inaccurate give the GM's a shout and see what's up.

K

Kuroyama

Thank you again for the help! I know with certainty that I've paid for more than 10 months over the years, so maybe that's it.

I do wish that I could switch to another shard, but I've invested so much into Legends. If I could afford an advanced character token, I'd give a more active shard a try, but disability means ... slow pacing, insofar as spending on fun stuff. :)

K

Kuroyama

Hello again,

I've been enjoying my time, and since I managed to scrape together some extra money, I am going to buy an advanced character token for my new shard. Problem is, I need advice! I've been a fan of the gargoyles since Ultima 6 (my favorite of them all), so I know I'd like one, and I want it to be a mystic. Should I use the Mystic Artificer template, or the Driven Mystic? The only difference between them is that one has Imbuing, the other has Focus. Thoughts? Also, does the template leave room to max one's primary abilities (mysticism, in this case) and still squeeze in some manner of Recall?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are only 5 skills listed, so yes there's room for some magery for recall - 700 skill points total if your account is less than a year old.
I'm not entirely sure why the template includes inscription, to the best of my knowledge inscription only affects the potency of magery spells.
Imbuing or focus? Well that's really a decision only you can make, depending on how you want to play the character. If you plan on having a crafter and making some of your own armour, then imbuing may be useful, but if you're wanting to play a pure hunter, the regenerative effects of focus will be very necessary.

K

Kuroyama

There are only 5 skills listed, so yes there's room for some magery for recall - 700 skill points total if your account is less than a year old.
I'm not entirely sure why the template includes inscription, to the best of my knowledge inscription only affects the potency of magery spells.
Imbuing or focus? Well that's really a decision only you can make, depending on how you want to play the character. If you plan on having a crafter and making some of your own armour, then imbuing may be useful, but if you're wanting to play a pure hunter, the regenerative effects of focus will be very necessary.
Hi there,

Thank you for the advice. I know the cap on something was boosted as a 10 month+ reward on my acct. Believe it was skills! How can I tell what my collective cap there is?

As for the templates, well, I would like to hunt. Imbuing is also very nice, though, and far more of a pain to raise than Focus. If there were enough room, I'd take the Mystic Artificer template and train up Focus, adding in enough magery for Recall.

K

Kuroyama

I think you'll find the answers you need here

UO Stratics *New* | Skill & Stat Management
Hi,

Thanks for the link. I was actually just about to edit my last post. :) I did a little math after finding my skill cap, and it looks like I cold come out with a pretty reasonable template, this being after both the token and my own work ...

120 Mysticism
120 Imbuing
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Focus
85 Resist Spells
70 Inscription

Comes out to 695, putting me just under the cap of 705.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
70 Inscription won't give you any sort of bonuses, unless you just want to make 4th and 5th circle scrolls. Similarly Resist Spells isn't much use until you have it at GM (100).

K

Kuroyama

70 Inscription won't give you any sort of bonuses, unless you just want to make 4th and 5th circle scrolls. Similarly Resist Spells isn't much use until you have it at GM (100).
Hi there,

I ended up not using a token (confusing, I know). I am working my way up from the bottom. Fortunately, a generous soul gave me a very nice 100% LRC suit, so that will make training much easier. As I'm starting from scratch, I am thinking ...

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Spells

... and from there, I'm not sure. It leaves 155 points unused. Maybe I could do Imbuing after all, I dunno. :)

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about Evaluating Intelligence to give your Magery spells some punch? You should raise your Magery to at least 110 also, since it will give you a 100% chance of successfully casting 7th circle spells. Imbuing is primarily a crafting skill, so theres not much point raising it on a PvM character (especially since Focus does the same job and gives you mana/stamina regeneration bonuses to boot). Good to hear you didn't use a token in the end, your chosen skills so far are all relatively easy to train and don't justify the cost of the token.

K

Kuroyama

Well, I'm still working my way along, but I'm beginning to see the appeal of the advanced token. ;)
Focus and Meditation have been a breeze to raise. It's everything else that isn't, particularly Mysticism. By the time I hit 60, everything went to a crawl regardless of which guide I followed, and I've not even seen the worst yet. Only halfway to the end! Pressing that spell key over and over and over drives one nuts. Heh!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Darn, I just saw this now.
I play at Legends as well, and can help you with anything you many need.
Give a shout for Zath in the general chat or at Luna bank and I will likely hear word from you. I might have a few blues that can help speed up your training and will be able to suit your toons up if you need. :)