• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player - Help picking a shard

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Hello greater Ultima community.

I am looking to make a return to the wonderful world of Ultima. I need a little help picking a community oriented shard. I love all aspects of the game, the player versus environment arena, the player versus player aspect, the role play portion and just generally interacting with others. I would probably fit better into a tight-nit community versus a huge community where you don't necessarily know everyone. I have varying degrees of times I can play, usually later in the evening by the eastern skies.

I haven't remade a character yet so I am looking for a little input before I get started.

Please note: I am not looking for handouts of any sort. I value people more than pixels and I enjoy starting from scratch and seeing how I can do.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am grouchy, it is what happens when you get old.

T

Tazar

The choice of shard depends somewhat on what you are looking for.

For a large player-base with lots of interaction (some good - some bad) you'll probably want to try Atlantic.
For a smaller player-base with a more old-school feel to it, I'd recommend Siege Perilous.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi Oscar, welcome back. east coast shards are
Atlantic, Catskills, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Superior, Legends, Siege Perilous
Though Siege is pretty much international.
All but Atlantic are relatively quiet, though I believe all have active communities.

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOOoooooOOOOO Hello Oscar the Grouch Welcoem back! Guess I better start a new deathrobe collection :) Atlantic is great if you like pvp but its more Player verses Players now but still fun! Every shard has its small pvp group to keep the shard spawners busy tho :) Welcome back tho Good Luck !

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome back! Although I live on Atlantic, I'd say Chesapeake and Siege Perilous have the most tight knit communities.
Atlantic is good to, as long as you don't mind tons of pvp'ers, just not as close knit.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Welcome back. One consideration for choosing a shard is lag. You might make a alt on the shards that interest you. Run around to check to see how bad or good it is. Saying hi in chat could will help find people, but if chat is quiet, that doesn't mean the shard is empty. On lake Austin it usually means people are hunting, crafting, working on skills. Most people will be popping in and out in Luna. If you see some one, wave and most of use will stop and chat. We always love new friends. Lake Austin has been growing. We have had a number of people returning, transfering, and just beginning. We have players from all time zones, so it is easier to join activities. We seem to be busiest in the middle of the week and weekend. There is a weekly hunt every Friday, either an EM event or hunt on Saturdays.