• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player from Way Back

Hello all!
I am just jumping back in to UO after being away since about two years after launch (with a couple brief returns). I am wondering: are the character builds that I see posted necessary for someone who has an hour or two a day to spend exploring around the world and fighting monsters, or are they geared toward some specific high level content that I might not be aware of? For example, would I be setting myself up for a really bad trip by trying to play a sort of classic Assassin, focusing on something like:

Fencing
Poisoning
Hiding
Stealth
Anatomy

Strictly from a PvM perspective, are builds like that fun and playable, even if they are not technically optimal?

Thanks so much for any feedback; I'm looking forward to spending time with UO again!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
depends on what you like for "fun"... since the advent of Trammel you aren't going to find many assassin type roles..

For PvM some of the good templates are Tamers... or ABC archers

Which is an archer with healing, Bushido and Chivalry. IF you go with Styngian Abyss you could also do a gargoyle thrower but I still prefer the ABC archer.

Tamers always are good though a lot of folk do a sampire... which is usually either swords or macing.

Skills aren't that hard to work up anymore with the way things are and you can always buy a mythic token from Origin which allows you to pick 5 skills at 90 ... and 225 stats.