• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returnee Template Question

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all! As some of you might have seen in other posts already, I have returned to Britannia after several years of absence.

One of the things I struggle with is how I should create my new template.
(Yes, yes I know there might be better Stratics forums for that but I do trust my fellow Europa shard'ers a lot...)

I am an Alchemist & Mage.
I am foremost a crafter & explorer and I only like to hunt every now and then.
My skillcap is 720

My current (old) template looks like this:
Alchemy 100
Magery 110
Ev Int 110
Meditation 110
Resist Spells 87
Poisoning 50
Hiding 100

Crafting:
I want to keep Alchemy 100 and perhaps get another crafting skill up.
I like tailoring a lot but can I use that as a single skill or do I need to combine it with another skill to get good stats and such on cloth/leather? (So many things have changed since my last visit in Britannia)

Adventuring:
I want to remain a Mage (pvm) but question is what skills should I keep and what should I get rid of? Perhaps I need to add a new skill?
I've read that Resist Spells is not really needed anymore?
The poisoning part I got when I was working towards becomming a Nox Mage but that is really not necessary.

Please advice a confused returnee. :)

C

cheerful

Hiya, what type of PvM you doing? sounds a bit RP, *adventuring mage battles monsters to source regs to use in her potions*

Although I could be wrong..I often am

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am horrible in making decisions on templates, I run with a mage that is also a tailor with arms lore.. So, not really the one to give advice here -but what do you want to do with this character? Is this a crafter, a hunter, or a bit of both?

In addition to Arms Lore and Tailoring I also have GM Inscription on my mage. Maybe that could work for you as well since it`s sorta a "real" mage skill. You could stone alchemy to another character perhaps. I also see many put wrestling on a mage, for reasons I do not understand.

Yes, you do need arms lore at GM to make anything armour/weapon related.

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiya, what type of PvM you doing? sounds a bit RP, *adventuring mage battles monsters to source regs to use in her potions*

Although I could be wrong..I often am
I am a casual (read lazy) RP:er I guess. I try to do it now and then but most often find myself back to "normal" again. :D

I will only do PvM now and then for fun. I am foremost a crafter. :)

L

Law of Hell

the wrestling is for some defence chance, if you have none you will get hit PHYSICALLY ( im not talking about mage spells now ) every time.

if you put wrestling you will have some percentage of defense chance.

Now if you dont want to waste 120 skill points you can also use a -mage wep and it will work just the same

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could stone alchemy to another character perhaps. I also see many put wrestling on a mage, for reasons I do not understand.
Nope never. Milena is an alchemist. :D

Wrestling used to be so that you didn't get interrupted by monsters when casting spells if I remember correct. Not sure if it is viable like that these days though...

I will try out a few different things. She will be an alchemist that does a little hunting now and then. Thanks for help :)

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now if you dont want to waste 120 skill points you can also use a -mage wep and it will work just the same
Ah thanks. I will read up on this mage weapon thingie. Sounds interesting. :)

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Meditation
120 Resist
100 Scribe
100 Alchemy

With the above templete you could use a Staff of the magi, Swords of prosparity or Staff of pyros.
Probbly your best bet since you want to keep Alchemy as a crafting profession(you wont be able to drink pots though).
On top of that you allso get Inscription as another crafting skill & 100 inscription allso give you 10 SDI.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks ZidjiN!

Interesting template!
One question though. I read that Magic Resist is not needed anymore for PvM.
What do you think? Is it still good? :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Milena, hop into guild chat this evening and catch the template wizards in the guild :)

My apologies for the 'guild and run' - the last few days have been mad here. I'm actually looking forward to the winter, when it's all nice and peaceful in rl here!

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you do need arms lore at GM to make anything armour/weapon related.
You don't really...it's nice to have it on a dedicated crafter but only gives +5% damage to weapons and +5 resists to armour, which are low compared to runic and exceptional bonuses.

Personally I'd recommend inscription to back up your magery, but if you want to sell to other players then smithy or tailoring would probably serve you better. Wrestling is unnecessary (Protection spell stops casting from being disrupted) and as a combat skill is currently near useless imo - much better to get a mage weapon.

G

Goodoljoe

I would hardly consider protection as a valid substitute of wrestle/weaponskill.Protection allows you to cast without being interrupted but if you find yourself taking too much damage youl cast too slow to survive even not geting interrupted..imo its much better to get 2/6 and learn to use spells properly with their apropiate timings

Also disarm has 2 very useful special moves..

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't really...it's nice to have it on a dedicated crafter but only gives +5% damage to weapons and +5 resists to armour, which are low compared to runic and exceptional bonuses.
You might want to reconsider that :)

Remember, it`s +5 pr piece for exceptionally crafted armour, that means 6*5=30 resist points on a 6 piece set. The bonus also stacks with runic tools.

I doubt anyone do any crafting without Arms Lore these days.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm.. Since i just returned, i was thinking about using this thread for advice too...

Going to use my Main char and Tamer, for all around PvE , Doom, champ spawns etc etc etc.. Everything :)

As of now, i got :

Magery
Mediation
Eval Int
Lore
Taming
Vet

So, the question is... Is this 'still' useful, even viable, or anything i should change?

Shadefox

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@OP
My adventuring crafter got

100 magery
100 eval
100 scribe
100 achemy
100 fishing
100 cooking
100 meditation

its tsill alot of fun situations to bring him into, both sea and land!

if you want to fight nastier stuff, go for 120 mage/eval at least then again, that the two most expensive scrolls, but 115 should get you far!

nice thing with the all gm template, si its easy to substitue the crafter skills with something else if you get tired from it (soulstoning)
and now ofcourse, to make full use of em all, you need 120 in those (smith/tailor comes to mind) with support skills.
but it fworks well for me and is pretty fun for what I wnna do

@PvM mage/tamer
I prefer archer/tamer
Just made one myself with chivlary aswell, and it works wonders!

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the wrestling is for some defence chance, if you have none you will get hit PHYSICALLY ( im not talking about mage spells now ) every time.

if you put wrestling you will have some percentage of defense chance.

Hey,

Iam also a recently returned player and my mage also has wrestling... can I just stone this skill of him and take something else?
What do you mean by using a mage weapon? Will that have the same effect as having 100 in wrestling?

My current template on my mage is:

- Wrestling 103,6/115
- Inscription 100/100
- Eval int 110/110
- Magery 110/110
- Resist spell 70,2/100
- Meditation 115/115
- Hiding 99,5/100
- Focus 11,7 (Going down)

I use the "Tome of Lost Knowlegde" as my "weapon" for the SDi and LMc (Dont need the +15 magery till I get a 120 PS)

To lose wrestling, do I need to stop using the Tome and use a weapon instead? Any suggestions on a good one?

If wrestling and Resist are obsolute, which skills should I get instead?
If you can draft up a template based on my skills, that will do good in PvM (Doom and simular) that would be nice!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would hardly consider protection as a valid substitute of wrestle/weaponskill.Protection allows you to cast without being interrupted but if you find yourself taking too much damage youl cast too slow to survive even not geting interrupted..imo its much better to get 2/6 and learn to use spells properly with their apropiate timings

Also disarm has 2 very useful special moves..
I probably didn't express myself very well - Protection isn't a substitute for combat skill, but a mage weapon is. Unless you plan to cast at melee distance, the only attacks that should hit you are spells and arrows, so I figure spending skill points on wrestling is a bit of a waste, unless you want to go for PvP in which case it's harder to keep your distance from aggressors. Disarm is useless in PvM and paralyze limited.

Serafi - as I originally said, it's worth having GM arms lore on a dedicated crafter and I do on mine, but again it seems less useful to a character who is part crafter, part adventurer ;)

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zayin666 - Mage weapons treat your magery skill as a combat skill for the purposes of attack and defence (not special moves). They all reduce mage skill - which affects your casting as well - but this can be compensated for using jewellery, also some artifacts are "mage weapon -0" i.e. no reduction. Not all mage weapons are spell channelling so be aware of that if you're looking for one.

Your skills are similar to mine, except instead of wrestling and hiding I have spellweaving and some focus. Spellweaving I find is a great complement to magery in PvM, but be warned it really gobbles up mana. Resist spells is not obsolete, especially in somewhere like Doom, and I find it useful on a mage who generally keeps his distance from the enemy but can be targetted by casters. Hope that helps :)

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zayin666 - Mage weapons treat your magery skill as a combat skill for the purposes of attack and defence (not special moves). They all reduce mage skill - which affects your casting as well - but this can be compensated for using jewellery, also some artifacts are "mage weapon -0" i.e. no reduction. Not all mage weapons are spell channelling so be aware of that if you're looking for one.

Your skills are similar to mine, except instead of wrestling and hiding I have spellweaving and some focus. Spellweaving I find is a great complement to magery in PvM, but be warned it really gobbles up mana. Resist spells is not obsolete, especially in somewhere like Doom, and I find it useful on a mage who generally keeps his distance from the enemy but can be targetted by casters. Hope that helps :)
Ok.. thanks.. I think I will try and stone of wrestling and have a look at spellweaving... I like hiding too much to drop it :)
Iam always getting interrupted while playing, so being able to hide and stay hidden is a great way of going AFK even in dangerous places.

How about that new Imbuer skill of SA... will that be a crafter skill only or also give some advantages to fighting chars?

Thanks

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Have to disagree with the 'all reduce skill' bit there. There are mage weapons that don't - swords of prosperity, staff of pyros etc :)

K

Krou`z Harrison

Im looking to return to Uo too soon, anychance of joining an older seasoned guild for help bringing me up to speed?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im looking to return to Uo too soon, anychance of joining an older seasoned guild for help bringing me up to speed?

Give me a shout here, you can come and catch insanity Saor style :) We have a mix of old, new, and returned players, who are all mildly insane, but very friendly and a good laugh. Do all sorts of dungeons as well as peerless etc too. If you're interested, PM me :)

Cail

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me a shout here, you can come and catch insanity Saor style :) We have a mix of old, new, and returned players, who are all mildly insane, but very friendly and a good laugh. Do all sorts of dungeons as well as peerless etc too. If you're interested, PM me :)

Cail
Can recommend this! Been with Saor since I returned and they have all been very friendly, helfull and yes... insane :)
They helped me get a pottet tree that fell thru the floor, dragged me thru champions and peerless... so all in all a very friendly bunch :)