Requesting a Pirate Expansion

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Sad to see someone turn this thread into a mini, baby flame war (flame skirmish?). The idea of a pirate expansion has long been popular and I've long considered it intriguing. I pointed out that technical issues had prevented it in the past, and that for my part I'd like to see this if those issues could be overcome.

And then the skirmish began....And then we have the nerve to wonder why, say, Marc Jacobs doesn't come here.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
Scotland
Rideable sea cucumbers! Rideable alage ! Rideable trout!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Sad to see someone turn this thread into a mini, baby flame war (flame skirmish?).
Because pirates are paragons of etiquette towards each other?

But, that said, I'll accept the criticism.

And then we have the nerve to wonder why, say, Marc Jacobs doesn't come here.
He strikes me as the sort of person who has to avoid forums for his own sanity (and time management) - based on what I've read of his blogs, I think a part of him wold really like to mix it up on every debate.

But back on topic ...

Personally, I would just like to see the "boat" mechanics made a little cleaner and adaptable ... It's a piece of the game toolkit that would open up lots of design possibilities (wagons, multi-player mounts, etc), but it seems like it needs some work.

Swimming, treasure hunting, shipping trade, ocean encounters, whirlpool dungeon, ... all sorts of possibilities (it's too bad the old ideas forum seems gone ... there were some great compilations of ideas there ... although after all these years I'm sure there's an overflowing folder somewhere in the developers' archives)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 1, 2008
Luna Atl
Sad to see someone turn this thread into a mini, baby flame war (flame skirmish?). The idea of a pirate expansion has long been popular and I've long considered it intriguing. I pointed out that technical issues had prevented it in the past, and that for my part I'd like to see this if those issues could be overcome.

And then the skirmish began....And then we have the nerve to wonder why, say, Marc Jacobs doesn't come here.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player
You know...I apologize for my part in it. However dont put Mark Jacobs BS on me...if you checked your sources you would see that is because he is spending ALL his time with Warhammer...he doesnt have time for UO.

For the record I am all for a pirate expansion. I just feel its rediculous to even ask for it considering the devs are currently working on an expansion other than that as we speak. I also feel an expansion based on our waterways in UO at this time is pointless. People complain enough now about the lack of anyone being anywhere...so dividing the people we have left amongst the lands AND the waters is pointless and counterproductive.

C

Connor_Graham

Just don't be forgettin' the rum or the girl gets it!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Europe
For the record I am all for a pirate expansion. I just feel its rediculous to even ask for it considering the devs are currently working on an expansion other than that as we speak. I also feel an expansion based on our waterways in UO at this time is pointless. People complain enough now about the lack of anyone being anywhere...so dividing the people we have left amongst the lands AND the waters is pointless and counterproductive.
Well, each expansion brings new landmasses. People just go to the places which are challenging and new. And as long as UO doesn't get new players and grow, the problem of emptiness will always remain the same. Then I'd rather have the old landmasses updated with new content, instead of creating new ones.

Of course, the Pirate Expansion Request was meant as something that should come next, after SA.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Id think any dev or programmer here would agree, the day there is a 3d Ultima Online. we will get the most intensely awesome expansion ever, in history. I can only imagine how horrible the 2d code for boats and moving all those tiles together must be.

but as for the pirate expansion idea, we totally need to be able to get stuck in maelstroms that take us tot he under water caves.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I for one am all for a Pirate Expansion!...... That would be sooo much more awesome for me than SA.... but perhaps next time..... *crosses fingers hopefully*

Please click my egg/hatchling and help it grow. Bel'la Dos (thank You)

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
May 12, 2008
www.thefcb.com
Some of us been asking for this for about 6 years....here we go again :)
*crosses fingers*

S

SDragor

as a passionate fisherman and treasure hunter I only can say, make the seas more fun! I never understood why the boats have been so neglected for such a long time.

L

laurlo

certainly for any expansion that builds on what is already there.

A

AesSedai

Okay, leaving aside the technical issues pointed out by one previous poster, as well as the fact that the devs are already working on a different expansion, I too would love to see a major pirate expansion for UO. Imagine trading in our tiny boats for carracks, caravels, or galleons, capable of carrying an entire guild of pirates into battle against deep-sea leviathans and other epic creatures. I love the idea of undersea cities, and of course would love to see water-breathing added as both a mage spell and potion type.

Oh! Does anyone else remember the Dragon Turtle from one of the old Ultima games? It was massive. I'd LOVE to see a battle between a pirate galleon and a magic-wielding Dragon Turtle!
- Aye, that would be a great expansion :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, leaving aside the technical issues pointed out by one previous poster, as well as the fact that the devs are already working on a different expansion, I too would love to see a major pirate expansion for UO. Imagine trading in our tiny boats for carracks, caravels, or galleons, capable of carrying an entire guild of pirates into battle against deep-sea leviathans and other epic creatures. I love the idea of undersea cities, and of course would love to see water-breathing added as both a mage spell and potion type.

Oh! Does anyone else remember the Dragon Turtle from one of the old Ultima games? It was massive. I'd LOVE to see a battle between a pirate galleon and a magic-wielding Dragon Turtle!
You are not talking about the sea serpents in U9 are you? Come to think of it, in U9 you could also use your cannons to kill the sea serpent!

As to the reason/excuse for not re-writing the code - it's just the law of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". At the moment, they don't have a reason to look into this. However, if they get a reason to, a company can always get the expertise it wants.

So to give them a reason, I want to add my voice in the support of a pirate expansion! I want wandering NPC pirates coming close to the shores that I can battle and steal ships from! I want cannons! I want to "U"se item -> "Wheel of HMS Cape" and buff my ship! New spells to change the wind direction to boost sailing speed (ie even faster than the current ship speed) and perhaps breath/move underwater!

Erm, is the ability to customize my ship like a house a bit too much to ask? Or craft it into a submersible? No gaudy colours I promise! But leave it the ability to shrink back into a little 1 stone model I can put in my backpack.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Customizing a ship would be neat, wood ,rope and cloth. I could see dying the sails "painting the wood sections", possibly adding crafted figureheads to the prow. A selection, something like crafting trophy's. I am all for it.:)

I would like to see the coast lines touched up too, add some boat only access areas.
They could spruce up treasure hunting and a whole range of other skills as well.

A

Angus MacGregor

Anything to enhance the sea, fishing, or boats is something I'd love to see.

N

Nestorius

Lying to EA staff so that they'll use GM powers to circumvent the Siege no-recall rule is totally legit gameplay! Really!
Why would a original owner have any more right for a GM teleport then Rico stealing a key? Doesn't he own the boat now? Oh, I'm sorry thieves are an illegitimate gamestyle. And you guys want a Pirate Expansion?!!! Sounds really exciting.:(

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Europe
Why would a original owner have any more right for a GM teleport then Rico stealing a key? Doesn't he own the boat now? Oh, I'm sorry thieves are an illegitimate gamestyle. And you guys want a Pirate Expansion?!!! Sounds really exciting.:(
Please, stick to the topic!

N

Nestorius

The topic is a Pirate Expansion. I see a big sidetrack on the thread that seems like some people would rather a Fisherman Expansion.

N

Nestorius

Sorry for being negative. Its an excellent idea, Hawkeye, and thank you for the thoughtful post.

W

Warrior of Time

certainly for any expansion that builds on what is already there.

I think that KR is helping that right now. A lot of things that went on in beta happened.

One thing was when they put the surf in they also had added another layer to all of UO. Adding a layer caused a few side effects that needed to be worked on. That added layer made it so ships could not be placed into the water, healers small animals was seen on the water. Items went through a ship that was on the water. Most have no idea what had to be worked out. KR was the start of many new things that can Come About. The water is indeed a tough problem.

UO:KR is helpig much more than most know.