• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Report] Luring the Crimson Dragons into Yew (Friday 23rd)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What an evening! I barely got back alive, Infact.. I did die quite a few times so I guess that phrase doesn't work here.

Nathan Hawke arrived at the Crypts to a collection of guardsmen and fighters ready to defend Yew from whatever this Dragon creature was.

Nathan suggested we find a nice open area and began to lay down meat, chicken, gold and dead pack horses kindly, yet disturbingly, donated by some Yew guardsmen.

We gathered in a line and Nathan Hawke began barking the orders.

Nathan Hawke: "We are expecting an incoming very large dragon, possibly more than one. You will be expected to kill it, These are Queen Dawns orders."
Nathan uttered his, Quite famous by now remark. "This isn't a tea party." and sooner said small pink dragons began swirling above our heads.

The small dragons died quickly and Nathan ordered us to reline up, He began talking about a large dragon named George, What he was on about is anybodies guess...

Nathan Hawke: "The rangers were sent here to investigate something, possibly hints of some dragon, But this does seem strange at how badly prepared for a battle they were."

Unusual and somewhat odd, Nathan Hawke then suggested we hide, Everyone ran around and hid behind trees, bushes and anywhere they could find.

Suddenly a huge Crimson Dragon swooped down into the pile of gold, The fight was on, But sadly not for me, As my client crashed! :(

A change of client later, I was back, But dead.

The fight continued as several more huge Crimson Dragons came down from the evening sky.

When the last dragon had been slain EM Emile Layne appeared with a moongate and requested everyone enter.

After a little introduction by EM Emile Layne, We had gifts to collect!

Emile Layne: "I have come to commemorate this special day with you, St. Georges Day."

Nathan Hawke: "And you have gifts for them?"

Emile Layne: "Indeed I do!"

The gift everyone received in the Star Room was a 'Firefighters Helmet'

Across the Crimson Dragons were 2 full sets of 'St. Georges Day' armour, 5 pieces per set for those lucky few who managed to grab a piece.

Happy St. Georges Day!

I

Irvyn

Thanks Mapper :)

And big thanks to the EMs for marking St George's Day - that was a really nice surprise :thumbsup:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'Twas a sad day for the Sosaria Red Cross... and many more besides it seems! Using only the most up to date healing methods, and requested by Nathan Hawke himself to set up a healing waypoint, we discovered too late that 'tis a known side effect of fighting Crimson Dragons that they cause fatal Blue Screens Of Death in enhanced clients...

But the day began so well! We gathered at Yew Crypts, and Nathan directed us to scatter gold and meat around to lure out the dragons.

He then requested we line up to allow the Dragons to believe it were safe to come out... and I set up the requested healing spot next to a dead Ettin who wandered by trying to get free health care; Not in Britannia my friend! However, for a Britannian, Nathan Hawke is curiously unappreciative of Tea!

It turned out that our first adversaries would be Lesser Crimson Dragons; Here I am sending my Mare and Rune Beetle in after them, after which I then withdrew and started resurrecting people at the red cross again; I believe I returned to life about 5 people myself, and others were holding the line for me, or joining in the healing...

Some Skeletal Dragons appeared, but also were despatched pretty quickly... So far, so good! Nathan then asked us to line up a second time, and revealed to us that the Rangers had come seeking "hints of dragon" in the Crypts... a fact somewhat now obvious due to his being surrounded by dragon corpses!

Perhaps the stress of constant weekly combat, and being sent to his death by Queen Dawn over and over again is getting to him though; he proceeded to shout at myself and a few other people still visible as we cast An Lor Xen onto those who couldn't cast it themselves... methinks he needs to treat St George Day as a holiday himself?

And then things started going badly, badly wrong; Catastrophically so. The next spawn arrived, and it turned out to be full Crimson Dragons. Bunnie would say in event chat later that it's been a known bug since they were patched in that their particle effects cause fatal BSODs in the Enhanced client. As soon as they arrived, I pressed Print Screen but crashed... so I lost the screen shot.

I logged in again, and found myself in Britain alive, but both my pets were dead. I resurrected them and ran back to Yew... only to find the Crimson Dragons were now right on top of the healing station, and there were about 7 ghosts stood on the cross waiting for saving... or maybe they'd crashed too?

I then tried to move a healing spawn to by the nearest wall and away from the dragon, but I was still too close; I managed to resurrect a few more ghosts at this spot until the particle effects caused a second BSOD;

I log in again, and move much further south this time; 2 more resurrections here I think, and I managed to get down a second cloth-marker to direct more for healing... but I got BSOD again, and lost the screen shots I tried to take... or any further ability to help at that spot.

Needless to say, I didn't loot any of the armour parts either, although one of my guild members got the leggings.

I log back in just in time to see the gate to the Star Room; a few people did not, including Acantha sadly, so they missed out on the reward, the "Fire Helmet"... here is the shots I got of the conversation that then ensued; We were summoned onto the podium and then given a helmet... Once more Nathan seemed to get confused; As I bowed to the crowd and wished them all well, my Rune Beetle teleported up too, and Nathan seemed to ask whose it was as I was passing into the gate...

This is the Fire Helmet in Enhanced; the glow around it is not an artifact of the cloak on the vendor; I took it off and put the helmet back on by itself to be sure...

(Also modelling the Leprechaun Shirt, the Last Man Standing Finalist sash, the Lamp of Spirituality and the humility cloak...)

So then... highly frustrating to be honest. The event might have been gloriously fun, and I don't mind not getting a shot at loot when trying to heal people, but fatal crashes? That really shouldn't occur on WinXP in this day and age. Shoddy programming Mythic, and I hope the EMs take the time to explore issues with both clients before choosing spawn next time :(

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for posting screenshots, unfortunately i left in a fit of rage on the 4th crash of my client due to the crazy lag and lockups.

I dont want to start using 2d again, but alas the EC has really got my goat up tonight.

Grates to all who took part and collected their gifts.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice report, sadly missed it, well someone had to still be at work. glad alot of you made it and had some fun, talk about being slow I only just realised its st georges day hence a dragon event, silly me.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well how about this for ironic timing

my archer was there at the start, helped kill the lesser dragons

get a fire call, had to go (rl Firefighter)

come back, too late, you guys are getting the gifts

A Firefighter's Helmet

FFS

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

A Firefighter's Helmet

FFS
Sorry but lol :D You saved alot of insurance gold though :)

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

A Firefighter's Helmet
sorry Jack but that made me lol

it would have been cool you having a firefighters helmet in uo though

G

Guardsmen Militia

A Firefighter's Helmet

FFS
Haha, awww that's funny.

You're more than welcome to collect mine (free) if you want it :) Just let me know how to contact you.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you very much for the kind offer

i have just been given one so it will be bad to take advantage!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I aint gonna moan....

oh sod it... iam gonna moan....why wasnt it posted on the em website ..i checked it yestrday afternoon and saw there was nothing happening so i didnt bother with UO..

dissapointed yet again......pfffff

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if they posted Fridays event on the site :( I know they posted Thursday's and we learnt about the Friday event then, So I posted on here about it right away.

Also in the EM Interview I did they hinted at keeping St Georges Day 'free', It's hard to get the word out, Not sure what else to suggest. :(

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone get any saint georges day armour from the dragons? Curious as to what it looks like.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone get any saint georges day armour from the dragons? Curious as to what it looks like.
I didn't manage to loot any, but I saw some characters wearing it after the event. It looks like crimson-hued dragon scale armor.