• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

REPO MAN!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Otherwise this will just be a bunch of crazed players .......

[/ QUOTE ]
"Otherwise"??????? LOL

M

MissGameGirl

Ok, after a good nights sleep, I am back. My questions are honestly and sincerely to get help in resolving the problem that others have laid at my door step, (No laid in my house).

1.) When I bought the items they all had information about the uploader, now they only say "Very Expensive Chair" 4 x $1200 "Not Authorized" and "Not Authorized boxes. If I am expected to get a store or player to give me my money back then can EA at least send proof to me, so I can provide proof to the uploader/store that they sold me this? (They aren't fessing up only hiding behind the "Not me"?

2.) I purchased these items from a store on the top 100 list that stated on the property BIO they had exclusive rights and were selling legit pieces of "so and so" work. That store is still in buisness today, less the property bio info, why?

3.) I have never played this game, 5+years on and off, as a buyer beware of store sales, previously it was buyers beware of anyone not a store, of an item is not clearly marked for sale to the public then beware, now what, now who do I trust?

4.) Lastly, EA I know you are doing the best you can, many glitched changes, many bumps in the road but many days of smooth sailing and many days of pure enjoyment but on this issue I feel you are handling the stores who stole property, CC rights with kid gloves, you say you will not name the stores or ppl responsible but that in game we will know who they are, sorry but knowing who they are and seeing their stores still open and on the top 100 list turns my stomach. Is this a warning shot only for the stores and in the future will their be higher consequences? If so, why did I the consumer take the hit for their misdeeds?

Ok, now I am all done with this non sense, lesson learned: Do not use the ATM

I

imported_Gracie Nito

According to the Terms of Service agreement, only the uploader of stolen objects is in violation. If there is proof of such violations, I am sure actions are being taken against those specific accounts. There is nothing that prevents a "store" or other accounts from selling stolen merchandise as only the uploader is held responsible for these violations.

When shopping for CC, I will investigate the name of the uploader..how old is this sim? Is the uploader an actual roomie or owner of the store I am shopping in? Honest custom content creators will want their name on objects as well as listed as the uploader of the object. Their reputation and name is everything when it comes to future sales of their objects. Stores that have a multitude of objects uploaded by variouis new accounts are the ones that have weighed the risks and choose to attempt to deceive and are more than likely to be thieves. If there are custom creators out there that are using other accounts to upload their objects, this is something you may want to take into consideration. Shoppers are going to become more cautious when shopping and your name will mean everything.

P

Paula778

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmm Bitter. Okay 1st Off, 2 Of Those 3 Arnt Mine. And There Is No Copyright On The Images And Are Free To Use. Others That Are Going To Sim Download Sites, 99% Of Them Have Terms About Using There Content And Not Allowed To Use Em To Call It Their Own. I Can Bet Anything Ill Email Anyone That Took A Picture And I Ask Em If I Can Use It And Edit It For My Own Use They Could Careless. If They Posted The Pic Without Some Kinda Warning About Using It Then I Doubt They Care Its Being Used. You Go To That Site And People Take Another Pic And Edit It And Then RePost It. ITS A STUPID PICTURE! Ive Taken Pics Myself And Using Them To Make CC. My Guess Is That You Yerself Used The Sims Download Sites And Is Mad RepoMans Gonna Take Yer Stolen Stuff So You Wanna Find A Reason To Make Everyone Look Bad.

BTW Thank You For Visiting My Store

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the mentioned ones have Copyright all written over it, if the website you get em from reminds you of that or not.
I think it's just plain hypocritical to yell out, turn around and sell a Winnie-the-Pooh character CC (or any one out of those 3 from your store mentioned earlier).. someone sat down more than a hundred years ago to create it...

This goes out to all you CC - hypocrites! Stop complaining if you're nooo better.

(Oh not really involved but reading this bothers me..)

C

Camile

This idea of copyright is intresting, I can "claim" a copyright on an object, but its not legally binding. There is free content out there, most of if from long defunct sites, that do not carry any disclamer that objects may not be used. Most of the flower arrangements I see in the game came from just such sites.

I am, of course, in agreement with using cc from sites, where the owner has made a statement that their items are not to be used. Even tying to ask for their permission is moot, as their e-mails and no longer vaiable.

I wonder if TSO is checking each and every one of these sites, or just making a blanket wipe of any custom content that they feel has been used without permission.

I was hacked 2 weeks ago, and tso got all my items back. Included were about 10 new tso kitchen items. I put them in inventory, went to TSO store 2 and returned them to the clerk who happened to be present. I dont want anything that is not legally mine.

P

pfmonaco

<blockquote><hr>

PAYPAL: If you and your seller are unable to work out an issue, you can go to PayPal's Resolution Center to open a dispute within 45 days of payment. If you're still unable to resolve the problem, you can escalate the dispute to a claim. A dispute can be escalated to a claim any time within 20 days of the date the dispute was opened. By escalating to a claim, you are asking PayPal to review the case and decide the outcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh.. it's not too late!!! For once using the ATM wasn't a bad idea.

P

Paula778

was it ebay, paypal or both that didn't offer insurance for digital items...?

H

Happy Simmer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Paypal dont refund for digital purchases (downloads, web access etc).

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

To the whole thread:

The <font color="blue">Stratics Rules of Conduct</font>, does not allow anyone to be accused by name on these boards. That goes for their stores and business in the game, as well.

C. Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

Because Stratics can not verify the accurracy of accusations made against players (or their businesses) in the game, they do not allow such accusations to be made on our message boards.

I have pulled all threads mentioning a store name, and any that were attached to them went as well.

Feel free to discuss the issue, but please do not name names on these boards or in Stratics Private Messages.

Thank you

~*Gilly

[/ QUOTE ]

Gilly I know you are just trying to do your job as a Moderator. But I believe by now everyone in EAland knows which stores it is. You go over to tso-e and the owner of the store even posted himself about what is going on. So if anything word is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the 'word is out', then there is absolutely no need to name names, here.

......because it would still be against the RoC, however commonly it is done elsewhere.

P

pfmonaco

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't expect to get a refund hands down but if it rattles cages and annoys financial folks at EA maybe we'll see some improvements. The mass repo efforts once items were "approved" by staff is why I'm getting so fired up by this. It's not the one or two obscure items the slipped thru.

A few folks have suggested that the buyers need to investigate what they are purchaseing. Now sure, this is true when your at a flea market or garage sale, but we're talking a purchase thru a legitabate store.. and by store I am not referring to the "store lot" but EA is the true "store". Actaully the store-lot people are just as much a victom as the CC buyers. With EA doing the approvals of CC, there is no reason for anyone to question the legitimacy of any in-game object that is available for sale.

I have a few store lots myself and not being artistically inclined I've purchased CC from designers for resale. The designers were able to upload the times thru the craft tables and passes the approval process. I have no further obligation.

It's too bad. I can see this as turning into the last straw that may close down the game.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

It's too bad. I can see this as turning into the last straw that may close down the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be a major factor. No doubt about it.

The problem could have been avoided by postings some of us made ages ago. In typical EA fashion they didn't even respond, and convinced themselves they had no problem other than to do a quick viewing to determine if it was appropriate content.

They tried so hard to wish away the easily anticipated chaos that would result by letting blatantly obvious stolen content into the game. It appears somebody is finally making them meet their legal obligations, and you storeowners and customers are the ones who get to pay the price.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem could have been avoided by postings some of us made ages ago. In typical EA fashion they didn't even respond, and convinced themselves they had no problem other than to do a quick viewing to determine if it was appropriate content.

They tried so hard to wish away the easily anticipated chaos that would result by letting blatantly obvious stolen content into the game. It appears somebody is finally making them meet their legal obligations, and you storeowners and customers are the ones who get to pay the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really believe EA was blind to this happening at all. The game is still in developement and they have to actually create the tools to remove illegal content as well as establish procedures for verifying authenticity. We are entering new territories every day. I have little doubt that the processes by which we will be governed in the future are complete by any means.

P

Paulina

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't expect to get a refund hands down but if it rattles cages and annoys financial folks at EA maybe we'll see some improvements. The mass repo efforts once items were "approved" by staff is why I'm getting so fired up by this. It's not the one or two obscure items the slipped thru.

A few folks have suggested that the buyers need to investigate what they are purchaseing. Now sure, this is true when your at a flea market or garage sale, but we're talking a purchase thru a legitabate store.. and by store I am not referring to the "store lot" but EA is the true "store". Actaully the store-lot people are just as much a victom as the CC buyers. With EA doing the approvals of CC, there is no reason for anyone to question the legitimacy of any in-game object that is available for sale.

I have a few store lots myself and not being artistically inclined I've purchased CC from designers for resale. The designers were able to upload the times thru the craft tables and passes the approval process. I have no further obligation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not close down the game, but do something different in regards of approving CC. And maybe just maybe give the people that are affected by this massive repo some kind of restitution. Especially the people that have used the ATM to purchase some of the items that now have been deemed " Not approved".
I don't think I ever will see any of my money back from EA or from the Store owners. But it sure would be nice.
If EA is questioning the various people of having actually purchased items from the store, please feel free to stop at my lot this evening and take a look around to see all the nice brown boxes I have , or the chairs that got skinned or the blue statues sitting at my lot. Honestly I am not even looking forward to going there tonight, because I think I will just cry. The hours I spend at the factory and at the money houses, to make money to get those things is high. Just to see it all gone in one instant. And for me I can't do the easy come, easy go attitute just because it is a game. I work hard for the things I have in real life and I applied the same to the game. And it was fun and I enjoyed it. And I was like a little kid in the candy store going to all the shops and picking out things that I wanted and then making the money to get them. But this just put a damper on the whole game play for me.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I really am sorry for all of those that have lost their purchases. However, I have been involved in every discussion about custom content since it's conception and was fully aware of the risks involved in purchasing content from others. This is the first time illegal content is being removed from game and I can assure you it will not be the last. There will always be someone attempting to skirt the law.

As a community we must become more aware and help police agaisnt the lawbreakers. If someone blatantly tells you they downloaded it from a website as they sell it to you....then report them! You will help save many innocent shoppers from your fate in the future. Buyers beware.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on the button, very well said.
This is exactly what is getting many of us so frustrated. A huge amount of the problems we are all having to deal with in this game were anticipated. They were presented in these forums and brought up in EA lots to devs, where in most cases the presenter was made a joke out of.
The botting issue was made very important by us well before they opened EAL but the devs put little impotents on it.
Same with the imports from the old cities, the effect that the buyback will have on payouts and a pile of smaller issues.
There is also more to come in things like allowing all to use all of our sims simultaneously from one account.
The truth is the devs do not listen to us when it comes to something where they have to divert away from their original plan.
They insist on letting their own ideas play out even when it becomes so obvious to all of us that it is not working and is causing huge problems.
Sure they pay the price in loss of profits, but that comes well after we pay the price in frustration and wasted time. How many times are we going to be expected to change our game play and take losses like the one we are all experiencing now.
Sure the players who broke the rules should not have done so, more than that though is the fact that EA should not have let it go on so long.

K

Kellyn

<blockquote><hr>

When shopping for CC, I will investigate the name of the uploader..how old is this sim? Is the uploader an actual roomie or owner of the store I am shopping in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of the uploaders of the stolen CC I got stuck with were TOS founders.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I really am sorry for all of those that have lost their purchases. However, I have been involved in every discussion about custom content since it's conception and was fully aware of the risks involved in purchasing content from others. This is the first time illegal content is being removed from game and I can assure you it will not be the last. There will always be someone attempting to skirt the law.

As a community we must become more aware and help police agaisnt the lawbreakers. If someone blatantly tells you they downloaded it from a website as they sell it to you....then report them! You will help save many innocent shoppers from your fate in the future. Buyers beware.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gracie - I luv ya. I believe you are probably the best thing this game has seen in quite awhile.
But, I have to take great exception to your statement.
The starting point for preventing illegal content into the game is the approval process itself. If it is flawed, or it's application is less than strict, then great stress is put, not only on the players, but the game itself.
There is CC in the game that ANYBODY at EA would know is not legal - or would anybody have me believe that Disney and Warner Bros. would allow people to copy and use/sell their product without compensation? Yeah, right. If Disney could get away with charging us for *saying* "Mickey Mouse", they would.
The point is - if the approval process were so cavalier as to allow the obvious violations, then it's just a shrug of the shoulders to allow the more questionable ones. EA, by "approving" content, and allowing it to be included in the game for potential sale to players, has given tacit legality to it that the rest of the population has every right to depend on. "EA says it's ok, so it *must* be ok."
At the very least, each upload should be accompanied by a legally binding statement to the fact that the material in question is solely the property of the uploader - or the uploader has the permission of the original creator, and has the documentation to prove it. (And I'm NOT talking about the stupid "User's agreement" - I mean something specific in regard to CC.)

To try to sluff off EA's responsibility in this mess as if it never existed is just wrong.
It's the height of [ ...something really unjust...] for EA to rail about someone else "skirting the law" while denying their *own* involvement.

G

TTL

God I am afraid to log in tonight. I have spent so much money on CC that I have a feeling most of it will be gone. Going back to a store with a blue statue saying "I bought this from you" will not prove anything. I hope there are some honest people out there, but good luck on that one. It sickens me that they say the Repo Man is coming yet nothing is being said about those who bought this content thinking it was legal. Now, we are all out massive amounts of hard earned money either through the ATM or many hours at our jobs.

Many of you are right. This may drive many people away depending on how this is finally taken care of. Either that or no one will be buying CC anymore. I know I won't buy anything CC for a long time.

G

I was excited about the devs plans for custom content and was much to do with my return to the game.
I am one that knows how to create 3D objects from scratch, the programs required to do so and how to use them.
Watching what was happening with the custom content coming into the game I could see that it was not worth going to the work involved in creating it from scratch.
It involves a huge amount of time to create the 3D meshes and the artwork required.
To spend that amount of time and end up competing against people that have just acquired their content from where ever they could is just not worth it.
So even though it was my aim to get heavily involved in producing CC for the game, I chose not to get involved at all.
So to add to the problems that have been caused by all this copying, it has also in a large part stopped real creations from being made.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was excited about the devs plans for custom content and was much to do with my return to the game.
I am one that knows how to create 3D objects from scratch, the programs required to do so and how to use them.
Watching what was happening with the custom content coming into the game I could see that it was not worth going to the work involved in creating it from scratch.
It involves a huge amount of time to create the 3D meshes and the artwork required.
To spend that amount of time and end up competing against people that have just acquired their content from where ever they could is just not worth it.
So even though it was my aim to get heavily involved in producing CC for the game, I chose not to get involved at all.
So to add to the problems that have been caused by all this copying, it has also in a large part stopped real creations from being made.

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering that anything you create ultimately becomes the property of EA anyhow, why would anybody want to start from scratch instead of using a sims1 base?
Just askin' - cuz I don't know nothin' about cc.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering that anything you create ultimately becomes the property of EA anyhow, why would anybody want to start from scratch instead of using a sims1 base?
Just askin' - cuz I don't know nothin' about cc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to Lee about it a long time ago, well before EAL opened.
The idea I thought they had was to allow people with the capabilities of doing so to create content for the game and be able to gain returns through the buyback system.
I believed the idea behind it all was to have outside developers creating "new" content for the game so a constant flow could be achieved.
I know they still plan to allow scripting content to be added and there may be possibilities there, as not every man and his dog would not be able to do that.
As for sculptures and furniture and the likes, the way they have gone about it leaves no room for anyone to set up a rl business to make "real" custom content.

Z

Zhoie Zeneau

Okay I'm pissed. I haven't been pissed in this game so far the entire time I've been playing it but now I am. I am not taking away from how hard the maxis team works because I know they do work very hard and I appreciate everything they have done but this stolen custom content issue has gotten totally out of hand.

Some people are finding their content as stolen and appearing as boxes and statues that are NOT approved...okay lets really confuse people...guess what..if you don't clear your maxis custom content folder on your pc when it gets full the same thing appears. Now how confusing is that. Some people are running around and have really lost their items due repo man while others just havent cleared their cashe and it appears the EXACT same way. I own a store called "Custom by Zeneau Fezzlin" I have to clear my cashe all the time because I view cc a lot, when my folder is full it ALWAYS shows my items as boxes and statues that are NOT APPROVED. Once i clear my cashe I'm fine. Does this not confuse people totally...let me tell you what happened in my store yesterday and I am sorry in advance for the length of this post...

I have been disapointed in people who steal their content for quite some time. I always write for permissions to use others works and save the emails once I get them, always credit their works by naming the object as they have and listing their website or name on the description. However, I have seen many times those who do not do this.

After Parizad's message yesterday I've been hearing about all this concern about stolen custom content. I had a lady show up in my store yesterday basically accusing me of having it because some of the things she bought at my store showed up as boxes and statues. I explained to her she had to clear her custom content cashe, but I had to defend myself for almost 20 minutes. Finally the only way she believed me was when another customer came in and I asked the complaining lady if she saw any boxes or statues in my store at that moment. She said yes she did. I told her that I DID NOT so that tells me it was an issue on her end and not with the object itself, as well the other customer told her she saw no boxes or statues either.

Can the people in charge of relaying information to the players please try to help customers understand the difference so that store owners do not have to defend themselves if they have not done anything wrong simply because someones folder needs to be cleared?

Here is the folder that needs to be cleared once and a while...

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache\objects\ea_land

Sometimes you have to do it 2x I've even had to do it 3x in one shot. TSO has to be closed when you do it as well. Then you have to sign into sims and wait for stuff to load on your property, if it doesnt happen to all objects, do it again. Trust me I've been doing this for months.

Reason I'm so pissed off...i play this game for fun and in two days I've done nothign but defend myself and my store which has NEVER had any stolen content and I have not lost one object from "repo man"

Can it get any more confusing to have objects that appear as boxes and statues that are NOT approved because they are stolen OR because the cashe is full?This is causing a HUGE amount of panic and confusion.

BTW: my store usually does mega sales on friday nights, last night..was pathetic in comparison due to this big scare.

Sorry everyone, and sorry to Maxis for my complaining, its the first time I've ever done it and I needed to get this out..

Zhoie Zeneau-Fezzlin

G

I have been to your store many times and like your stuff very much.
The pieces that I bought are still on my lot just as they were when I bought them.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I completely agree that something needs to be done about the cache system. I still run into players in game every day that have no clue why they see cardboard boxes or black statues everywhere they go.

Supposedly this only affects people that login using tsoclient.exe at login. Even though EA does not support the use of this method of logging into the game they are not blind when it comes to this community and are fully aware that it is used by many. I would hope they have plans to implement a login feature works better that will allow people to achieve multiple account logins without having to use unapproved methods.

In order to not confuse people further, I believe objects being removed from game due to illegal content should have been replaced with an EA image and information stating why this is item is no longer available. While I applaud the removal of illegal content frome the game, I believe the process in which it was done could stand to be improved.

G

Zhoie, I understand you're upset and all, but you pasted the same post in 3 places in these forums (2 threads in Custom Content and 1 here) or maybe more places that I haven't seen. That seems like a bit unnecessary spamming to me. I think we get the point already

G

<blockquote><hr>

I completely agree that something needs to be done about the cache system. I still run into players in game every day that have no clue why they see cardboard boxes or black statues everywhere they go.

Supposedly this only affects people that login using tsoclient.exe at login. Even though EA does not support the use of this method of logging into the game they are not blind when it comes to this community and are fully aware that it is used by many. I would hope they have plans to implement a login feature works better that will allow people to achieve multiple account logins without having to use unapproved methods.

In order to not confuse people further, I believe objects being removed from game due to illegal content should have been replaced with an EA image and information stating why this is item is no longer available. While I applaud the removal of illegal content frome the game, I believe the process in which it was done could stand to be improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or why couldn't the objects just *POOF* all together with a popup when you log into the lot that says "The following items have been removed from your lot due to custom content thievery:" with a list that is similar to the ones that you get when you load your lot as a roomie or owner and items cannot be loaded?

G

Hi all,

Only to understand, i visiting today many stores and this stores has Customs Content stolen come from a web site, they sell again it now because anybody repport them... but why repport only a few stores who copy CC come from a web site and not all stores and this CC are same, because you know like me, when we visite the stores we remember the CC we see, and i saw today stores with same CC than a stores which had a problem with that, and this stores are again this CC stolen to sell, (removed in other stores), so the question is why,? the jealous persons want make problem only a specific stores because dont repport the others stores with same CC...

so now i saw this game with others eyes....maybe only make a trouble with a specific stores and sims and not same justice with all. And because that make so many problems at all players, and because that many accounts can be banned, you imagine, I think too about Upload CC, all informations about that was not clear, you upload it, ealand approved it, many sims tinkings all was ok because they received an approbation from ea land...anybody is perfect and with a bad informations we can make an error....and after receive a good information let a chance to this people to correct all, and please stop to say to all, YOU ARE THIEFT...maybe You accuse without knowing if these persons had understood well all, dont remember this eaLand approved first this CC and this can make confusion if all is ok or not...for me the approved is ok... and for you?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hi all,

Only to understand, i visiting today many stores and this stores has Customs Content stolen come from a web site, they sell again it now because anybody repport them... but why repport only a few stores who copy CC come from a web site and not all stores and this CC are same, because you know like me, when we visite the stores we remember the CC we see, and i saw today stores with same CC than a stores which had a problem with that, and this stores are again this CC stolen to sell, (removed in other stores), so the question is why,? the jealous persons want make problem only a specific stores because dont repport the others stores with same CC...

so now i saw this game with others eyes....maybe only make a trouble with a specific stores and sims and not same justice with all. And because that make so many problems at all players, and because that many accounts can be banned, you imagine, I think too about Upload CC, all informations about that was not clear, you upload it, ealand approved it, many sims tinkings all was ok because they received an approbation from ea land...anybody is perfect and with a bad informations we can make an error....and after receive a good information let a chance to this people to correct all, and please stop to say to all, YOU ARE THIEFT...maybe You accuse without knowing if these persons had understood well all, dont remember this eaLand approved first this CC and this can make confusion if all is ok or not...for me the approved is ok... and for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I think what I understand you to say is that you don't think it's right for store A and store B to both sell stolen custom content and it is removed only from store A and not store B. On that, I do agree with you. My advice would be that if you see a store that has 'fallen through the cracks' and is still selling stolen CC, IM Parizad or Lee in game and call it to their attention, or e-mail them through the dev e-mail address, or report the house using the "?" button in-game. Chances are the latter won't really do anything to get these people removed from the game, but doing either of the first two might. You can do a search in EA Land for both of them, they both have sims who have the same name as their dev name (Lee, Parizad and Luc).

Z

Zhoie Zeneau

There is a very simple answer to your question..... I see the stuff I offer at my store at others stores sometimes too. If you look at what I offer that someone else has made, you will see I have listed the object as they have (meaning I used their codes) and listed their name or website as they have requested...here is the BIG difference hun... I wrote to them and asked for their approval, received approval..and saved the email. The other stores, which I have seen for myself, do not do this and some..omg..some even name the object after themselves! Now THAT is stolen. If someone writes me back saying they don't want me to use their stuff, I don't. For instance..a place called "Around the Sims" wrote me back and said straight out NO. So I never used a single one of their objects..I am sure that can't be said for all stores. I hope I have shed some light on this. If the owner/creator of these objects grants me permission, then of course I can use their things.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There is a very simple answer to your question..... I see the stuff I offer at my store at others stores sometimes too. If you look at what I offer that someone else has made, you will see I have listed the object as they have (meaning I used their codes) and listed their name or website as they have requested...here is the BIG difference hun... I wrote to them and asked for their approval, received approval..and saved the email. The other stores, which I have seen for myself, do not do this and some..omg..some even name the object after themselves! Now THAT is stolen. If someone writes me back saying they don't want me to use their stuff, I don't. For instance..a place called "Around the Sims" wrote me back and said straight out NO. So I never used a single one of their objects..I am sure that can't be said for all stores. I hope I have shed some light on this. If the owner/creator of these objects grants me permission, then of course I can use their things.

[/ QUOTE ]

But purely playing devil's advocate, most of these stores are gonna say that they did exactly what you say you do, and all there is to go on is people's words. I'd rather see EA err on the side of caution and delete things that are suspect at least temporarily until proof can be provided to them (which if you did save the e-mails you'd be able to do) or at least request copies of those e-mails from anybody that falls under suspicion. The 'honor system' just doesn't work in the game......they've tried operating under that premise and have been overwrought with theives and scammers because of it. They've got to keep a tighter lid on things than they have in the past and this thing with the repo man is I hope a good start to it.

Either that or they just need to say if you don't get it off the TS1 files then you just can't upload it.......period, and that would dispense with the whole nonsense of having to believe people who say they got permission or having to collect that proof and review it to make a determination. Players will not take responsibility for themselves and accept the consequences when they screw up, they STILL try to put it off on EA and say 'well then why did you approve it?!?!?!' pffffft. This is a good reason CC never should have been brought into the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you look at what I offer that someone else has made, you will see I have listed the object as they have (meaning I used their codes) and listed their name or website as they have requested...here is the BIG difference hun... I wrote to them and asked for their approval, received approval..and saved the email.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might sound naive, but why would anyone really want to sell objects that someone else has made?
Unless you have some sort of "reseller" contract with them, and part of your earnings goes to the website who is offering them.

It seems like it's only because of cash.

People want great looking objects, and it takes a year or more to become a really good creator of objects - learning 3D programs and meticulous work coloring objects pixel by pixel to make them look perfect. Correcting them, remaking them, fixing them endlessly when you find a small flaw. To make a really good object with no flaws, takes a whole day, or more.

I suppose those who want to make a quick buck, will just "ask for permission" and stuff it in their store.

Myself I want to make items that are personal, that reflect me as a person.
So unless I make some kind of deal with a big commercial website I'll never sell anyone elses items.

Even if permission has been asked, have you informed them that you will be selling their items for cash, and that you can later transform that into real life dollars and collect a pay check based on their work?

If there is an email that gives you rights to sell their items for cash, then that's the deal you have with the person that makes the items, and you should be fine. Providing ofc that EA investigates the allegations of stolen content and gives the seller a chance to show their evidence.

If you have this sort of contract with the creators, why not state on your house bio that your store is an authorized reseller of that site?

P

Paulina

Duncan, I hope you did not find your lot half full with boxes and statues. It is gut wrenching I tell you.

P

Paulina

I can attest to the fact that none of Zhoes CC has been affected by this repo. I have bought things from her, with 2 of my Sims and neither one have lost anything that came from her.

P

Paulina

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

If you look at what I offer that someone else has made, you will see I have listed the object as they have (meaning I used their codes) and listed their name or website as they have requested...here is the BIG difference hun... I wrote to them and asked for their approval, received approval..and saved the email.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might sound naive, but why would anyone really want to sell objects that someone else has made?
Unless you have some sort of "reseller" contract with them, and part of your earnings goes to the website who is offering them.

It seems like it's only because of cash.

People want great looking objects, and it takes a year or more to become a really good creator of objects - learning 3D programs and meticulous work coloring objects pixel by pixel to make them look perfect. Correcting them, remaking them, fixing them endlessly when you find a small flaw. To make a really good object with no flaws, takes a whole day, or more.

I suppose those who want to make a quick buck, will just "ask for permission" and stuff it in their store.

Myself I want to make items that are personal, that reflect me as a person.
So unless I make some kind of deal with a big commercial website I'll never sell anyone elses items.

Even if permission has been asked, have you informed them that you will be selling their items for cash, and that you can later transform that into real life dollars and collect a pay check based on their work?

If there is an email that gives you rights to sell their items for cash, then that's the deal you have with the person that makes the items, and you should be fine. Providing ofc that EA investigates the allegations of stolen content and gives the seller a chance to show their evidence.

If you have this sort of contract with the creators, why not state on your house bio that your store is an authorized reseller of that site?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe she said that in her post, that she does have letters stating she is authorized to sell the items. So why are you questioning her? If EA wants the proof and she can provide it, then everything is on the up and up.
I will say it once again, the problem lies with EA's approval process of CC. It was brought up a long time ago to EA from posters on this board, that with all the sites out there that have created CC for the offline games this could lead to a massive copyright infringement. Did EA listen? No. Did EA as a fact go and say to the people when they tried to upload the items, do you have authority to sell these items? No.
Should it solely be one person that approves CC? No. The whole process needs to be revamped. Because now you are looking at people that have lost a lot of money because of the repo, and the fact that some people used the ATM to purchase the items that they thought were legit could bring a lot of legal problems to EA.
Would it be great for EA to admit to their mistake and say, ok guys we messed up we need to change this and we learned our lesson, so let us help you get your money back? Especially when there is REAL MONEY involved? Yea it would be, and it would show that EA does care about their player base. But as I see it, it is falling on deaf ears, just like all the other post that warned them about that this would happen.

On another note, I have contacted the store and left 3 IM's with itemized lists on what I bought from them and what the total amount was, and still have not heard anything from them as in regards of getting my money back. I doubt that I will see it. But I am certain that EA could go and confiscate any money that they do have and make restitution to people. If they can restore a money exploit, they certainly can go in to 1 store and claim the money and have it disbursed amongst the people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So why are you questioning her?

[/ QUOTE ]

My intent was not to question her. I simply chose to quote her text since it said something I could reply to. My post is meant to be a generalization.

I was pondering why people want to sell other people's items if they are not an authorized reseller - and if they are an authorized reseller, the best way to avoid getting reported or questioned is to clearly state that on the bio, in big capital letters and with the store's name having that site's name in it.
So there can be no confusion.

Selling other people's items and collecting a monthly pay check for it (when cashout gets enabled) seems fishy to me, unless you have an agreement with them. If you have an agreement and you are an authorized reseller, you should have nothing to hide, so write it in big capital letters.
Right?

Most of the big sites have people in EA Land monitoring the situation, or have friends who do that for them. So big signs about being a reseller would be hard to fake in the long run.

If someone sells other people's items just to make personal cash on other people's work, without being an authorized reseller, I wouldn't personally shop there until I know for a fact that my furniture won't poof next time the repo man comes along, or they offer me some sort of "poof warranty".

I value my hard earned cash too much for that.

This is meant as a response to all stores who sell other people's creations without being a reseller. Not anyone in particular.

P

pfmonaco

<blockquote><hr>

This is meant as a response to all stores who sell other people's creations without being a reseller. Not anyone in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has already been established that ANY store can sell ANY legal goods. No store is guaranteed exclusivity.

That aside, what's Corporate saying about refunds here. It was emplyee NEGLEGENCE that allowed illegal content to get approved. Not the buyers of the items.