• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

replacing desktop with laptop?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was thinking of getting a latest laptop and replace my older desktop with it.
1) would like to connect my 2 monitors up to laptop.
2) this way it is more versital in that i can take laptop on vacations and use it in my tv room (stream my screen to my tv)
3) it would need to be able to play at min batman, stwor, etc

would a laptop be able to handle 2 monitors outside its own screen?

lorddog

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
If you use a docking station its possible, without you can only plug one monitor to the hdmi or vga port and use it together withe laptop screen

you can also buy a matrox external solution and plug it by hdmi to the laptop and can plug yor 2 monitors to the matrox solution.

if you plan to use the laptop alot on the road make sure you take one with mximum 14in because of the weight

it all.comes.down to the budget you plan for the laptop - may i ask for this?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if i decide to do this then i can spend 1000-1500 or so.
i already have my monitors.
when using 2 external monitors i would not need to use laptop screen.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Yes but to be able to connect 2 Monitors to a laptop you will still need a docking-station or a Matrox DualHead2go, check the link out:

Multiple Monitors for Laptops | Multi-monitors

The problem is, most if not all Laptops that you get a docking station for are Professional Ones which will not give you the possiblities for gaming since they have weaker graphics because used for work.

So you better get a 15.6 Powerhouse plus get you a Matrox DualHead2Go - if it comes to gaming with Laptops you should check Asus for ROG Laptops or go cheaper ways with possible Alienware if you like Dell (i prefer Asus) or check out Books with Intel Ci7 and some decent graphics not for high end gaming but still possible to play most of todays games in medium resolutions..

For UO you can use any mainstream cheapo Laptop even Netbooks..

You should concentrate on not to heave gear because you want to travel with it BUT it should have possibilities for gaming - make sure to get Minimum 4GB Ram (better 8) and 750GB Harddisk (better 1TB+128GB SSD) and an Intel Ci7 (or highest Ci5 2nd Generation) plus Graphiks in Range of Nvidia GTX460 or better- dont save Momney on the Graphiks, better first on RAM and Harddisk-Space and/or CPU (dont underestimate ci5 to ci7 the difference isnt that high if you have to cut on graphiks for a Ci7 its even worse than if you choose Ci5 + decent graphics)

Not sure about Dell Solutions if you happen to live in the US, i am from Central Europe we dont do much with Dell here - our main brands on serious laptops are Asus, HP, Acer and maybe Samsung..