• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remove traps

G

Gellor

I'm working on a faction thief... to that end, I want remove traps.

I've got two questions:
1) The recommended method I read was:
30-50 remove trap, use 50 skill tinkerer boxes
50-80 remove trap, use 80 skill tinkerer boxes
80-GM remove trap, use GM skill tinkerer boxes
Does this sounds right? I got the impression that I should put tinkerer on the remove trapper and work them at the same time and I should hit close to GM on both at the same time.
2) Do I gain on fails? Or is it only when I remove a trap successfully?

G

Gellor

To answer my own questions a week later.

The skill gain method I listed worked. However, after about 70ish remove trap, tinkering didn't gain past 65. So I was forced to raise tinkering separately.

One does NOT gain on fails:sad4:

And one thing not mentioned, you can gain on the same box that gets retrapped over and over:scholar:

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am planning on working this skill and I have some questions if anyone can help.

I assume that the aboved mentioned method would include trapping a box with a dart trap, use remove trap on said box and repeat... correct?

What would be the prefered method of healing for this kind of training? I guess either bandages or magery?

What kind of damage will the character be taking once they are using gm trapped boxes? Does a high physical resist suit help?

What is the gain rate like for remove trap? I found some skills gain super fast (like resist) and some are painfully slow (like poisoning)

Thanks in advance for helping me GM one more skill in my quest to complete every skill ingame :)

G

Gellor

Yes, when I worked remove trap, I had one box that I set a trap on then removed trap on... over and over and over.

When I worked it, I used chiv to heal... wasted about 20k in gold on tithing points. It was cheaper/faster that route than bandaids(2-6 seconds per heal attempt) or destroying an lrc suit:hahaha: I also wore a bracelet of health.

The high physical suit would help... but the damage was like 50hp with no armor on... I think. But the quick heals with chiv made it not worth the effort of making and destroying a suit.

The gain rate was medium hard. It just took a LOT of doing the same thing. Basically boring as heck. Not quite as bad as poisoning.

My UOAssist macro looked something like:
Use item (tinker kit)
Last menu choice
Target crate
Use skill (remove trap)
Target crate
Cast heal
Target self
Cast heal
Target self

Assigned to the F (aka this skill is F'd) and plugged away while watching movies on my laptop:hahaha:

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the info, I plan on killing 2 birds with on stone and keeping some of the chests I will make and trap to use later when I do detect hidden.

Also while I am raising tinkering, I will be keeping another set of boxes (and lockpicking them) to work forensic eval... so many useless skills... so little time :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
go have a look over in the "Faction" forum.
there is a big stickied thread on how to make a faction trap remover, with up to date and current gaining and the such.

rule of thumb for working remove trap.
keep tinkering 10 points ahead of your remove trap.