• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) Remembering KRAKEN, king of the Recall scrolls.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“KRAKEN”, real name Porter Thomson, the original owner of the Yew Gate Mini Mall of the Red & Purple… a friend I knew since I began playing… maybe 9 or 10 years ago… died Monday from leukemia.

If you didn’t know the man, you may know the reputation… if you are an older veteran player of Atlantic. For many years, from the birth of Tram… KRAKEN opened a classic sandstone vendor mall in the remote woods of eastern Yew, not too far away from the grand water fall, where he sold recall scrolls by the vendor full. He then relocated to a Small Marble Shop near the Yew Crypts, where the spawn was a little safer for his trade. KRAKEN was KING of the Recall Scrolls! Night and day… he made them. Night and day… people bought them. August 2004, we managed to find the large house near the public moongate of Yew, until his game retirement and then the eventual handing-off of the mall to myself and another friend, Hellfire. We have been keeping the place up and running ever since.

It may be true that KRAKEN quit UO a few short years ago to concentrate on other endeavors, he always kept in trouble with friends with cheerful and humorous emails. The odd personal letter. Never down on life or hating the world. I will always remember him as the man who would eat my fishing nets faster then I could possibly collect them. I will remember him as one of my closest friends, that I’ve ever had, while playing our game. This news comes as a sudden and totally unexpected blow to me personally. I will miss him and remember him… as my own personal history of life in UO would never be complete without mentioning HIS name.

Those who fall should always be remembered… no matter what world they roam.

Porter (KRAKEN) is survived by his wife Aimee and a son and daughter.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sincerest Condolences you and to his friends and family. The loss of an Atlantic citizen, friend, husband and father is a sad day for us all.

P

Phineas le Monge

I remember the stone workshop - I bought gm tinker items and recalls from there many moons ago. It is sad to know another UO vet is gone. Thats what will eventually end UO - all the true vets will quit or pass on. Good travels Kraken, wherever the path has taken thee...

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Evil, so sorry and sad about porter. Ive benefited a lot from red and purple.
Thanks for all you've done and sorry for the loss.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you… to all that have posted and messaged me in regards to Kraken. It's helped warm the sad feelings that this horrible news has brought me. As soon as I can build up some nerve… I’m going to send a letter to his widow. Share what is going on here, in game, and let her know that we remember him.

I don’t know if this will help… but I did have the idea to post his old guild name if that will help anyone remember.

It was “B=D”… “Order of the Blood Dragon”.
Charter: Honor throughout the Realm.

The guild list is cleaned out, so I have no idea who was in the guild. Just thought it may be helpful.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recall that mall from my early days on Atlantic...I'm sorry to hear of this :(

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did not know of this man.. but i have owned numerous houses around yew tram gate & always bought recalls & runebooks from his house and sent others there for I knew it would always be stocked. I have the Honor of liveing behind his house of history. May yur memories of him brighten yur day & battle back the tears of loss. For if those that are lost are in our hearts & minds they are truly not lost, just unseen!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For UNKNOWN of Atlantic...

Thank you. :) His were the recalls... mine were, and still are, the runebooks. hehe.

See? thats the thing. Easily, I would say Kraken made over a million recalls, starting 11 years ago. A year or so before Tram opened. I kind of wish I had pics of the 2 other houses he sold from to give people a better idea... but unfort... I dont. Collecting regs, moving regs before we had the com-deed boxes. lol. I did a lot of that for him too, back in the day.

Everyone....

A marble statue deed was collected this morning. News of the memorial at Goodmans should be out soon. I PMed Mesanna last week about a memorial stone to be placed either near the Yew Tram moongate or at the Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood. I also emailed our only EM last night. Hopefuly someone will answer and I'll post the news when it comes.

L

LionUWF

Just heard about this from evil pixie works, So sorry to hear hes passed away. I met him a few times and he was a very nice bloke.

If there anything i can do towards the memorial please let me know.

This is such a huge loss to the uo, not just another vet UOer gone but one so nice and helpful.

Well miss ya Kraken

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Evil, I remember Kraken's Sandstone from before Renaissance. After he moved I lost track of him but by then my wife (girlfriend at the time) was making and selling recalls and arrows at our Villas near Covetous.

Hell of a guy as I remember. As a regular customer (Kane Steel) he used to give me free scrolls occasionally when I would show up to buy some.

Sorry he's gone. The world's a worse place for it.

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so sorry.
After 11 years of playing this game--some of the friends I have made in UO, whom I have never met in RL, are as close and dear to me as my close friends and family. I am sorry for your loss and extend my condolences to his family.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again... I thank all of you for your comments and wishes. :) It means a lot.

Retrorider... I think the villa you speak off may have been Lord Rags’s… who’s back faces the water. He still owns the house in place, however it's been modified to fit within the later space between 2 big custom houses. Kraken did manufacture recalls from a single container in Rags’s house a year before I came along. Rags also remembers Kraken as his first friend in game.

Some news to offer… please check it out. Kraken now has a memorial stone!

http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-atlantic/233779-lord-kraken-yew-memorial-now-located-r-pmm-town.html#post1899995

More news will come.

S

SLACK

I unfortunately did not know him but I still offer sincere condolences. I have had to witness first hand what it's like to suffer through a similar situation and I can say only this: Cancer sucks!
Remember this man as he was in his best cheer and do everyhing you can to stamp out this killer!
I hope he is well remembered by all.