• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remembering good times

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pic might be from around 2004. the old -5- crew, lol and some donkies, those dudes were nuts.

Attachments

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice pic! My favorite saying used to be: "I played on siege when Good Guy was actually a good guy" lol
I died to 4 of those guys...**** happens

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pic might be from around 2004. the old -5- crew, lol and some donkies, those dudes were nuts.
Bring back your old crew! We're trying to establish nightly PvP fun at Eodon moongate for everyone. We won't loot and encourage others not to loot as well. So far it's working out.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If no one loots, we might as well have insurance on Siege! LOOT THAT ****!!! :twak:
The diff is, there is still a risk, that someone will loot. we can loot, but we can also choose not to loot. The reason we do not loot is we want more players stay and accept the fight and share the fun.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The diff is, there is still a risk, that someone will loot. we can loot, but we can also choose not to loot. The reason we do not loot is we want more players stay and accept the fight and share the fun.
Well DUHHHHHHH! That is one of the SAME EXACT REASONS some of us want insurance on siege!

There will ALWAYS be a risk on Siege, insurance or not. Try looking a little past the end of your own nose for a change!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I had been here far longer than you Kat, you first started on Siege after AoS and the item madness ruined the game. Siege was doing great in the past without Item Insurance.
The problem we have now is, items are way more expensive and a pain to put together to a suit. If you lose one piece, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just buy a new piece.
Why do we need 5 kind of resist now? We could start adding more basis resist to loot as well as crafted stuff, it would be easier to get 5x70 resist. Now with +1000 luck on Siege, the monster loot would be useful again.
Getting looted was not a big problem in the past, you did not have to run far to find a vendor with a new PvP or PvM suit to a price all could pay.
Now it take me a lot of time to stock my vendor with suits because I need to get this stupid resist right before I add other mods and the suit will end up costing 100-500k so I can't stock many on my vendor and still make money, my vendors will eat up the profit.
More drop of gems and other imbuing resources would make it cheaper and more resist on the pieces would allow me to sell you a new hat if you lose your old one, some for mages and some for warriors.
It would also make it rasier for PvM'ers to put loot pieces together to a suit.

Item Insurance is not the solution for Siege, it would hurt a lot

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had been here far longer than you Kat, you first started on Siege after AoS and the item madness ruined the game. Siege was doing great in the past without Item Insurance.
The problem we have now is, items are way more expensive and a pain to put together to a suit. If you lose one piece, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just buy a new piece.
Why do we need 5 kind of resist now? We could start adding more basis resist to loot as well as crafted stuff, it would be easier to get 5x70 resist. Now with +1000 luck on Siege, the monster loot would be useful again.
Getting looted was not a big problem in the past, you did not have to run far to find a vendor with a new PvP or PvM suit to a price all could pay.
Now it take me a lot of time to stock my vendor with suits because I need to get this stupid resist right before I add other mods and the suit will end up costing 100-500k so I can't stock many on my vendor and still make money, my vendors will eat up the profit.
More drop of gems and other imbuing resources would make it cheaper and more resist on the pieces would allow me to sell you a new hat if you lose your old one, some for mages and some for warriors.
It would also make it rasier for PvM'ers to put loot pieces together to a suit.

Item Insurance is not the solution for Siege, it would hurt a lot
Freja, judging by what you just typed, I have to believe that you have never EVER read any of my posts in support of insurance on Siege. You just cited the EXACT reason I am in favor of it!

I do not care how much longer you have been here than I have. That is a pretty lame comment, in the first place and in the second, most of your time was spent helping newbies and not fully understanding the problems PvPer's had with their gear and replacing it. Now that you are a little more active in some pvp battles, I think you are at least somewhat understanding, yet you are against Siege insurance. It doesn't make sense.

You said:

"The problem we have now is, items are way more expensive and a pain to put together to a suit. If you lose one piece, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just buy a new piece."

This is the problem and having the ability to Siege bless all worn and equipped items is the solution.

PvPer's do not want to craft new suits. It is too difficult to get all the items required. It is impossible to craft up just 1 or 2 pieces of looted equipment and get back into PvP/PvM fun in a reasonable amount of time, much less an entire suit. When players got looted, they got frustrated if they couldn't buy their gear back or easily replace it so they could get back to having fun. The result was they left for shards where that didn't happen! What is it going to take for you to see that this is the reason a large number of players left?? I may not have been here for AoS, but I was here for the mass exodus!

The shard is broken. I know full well that AoS is the expansion that originally caused all the problems. The answer is a Siege Bless type of Insurance if you want to see an active Siege Perilous again.

You might as well stop resisting this. Nothing any of you people came up with has worked to bring the shard back to life! Changing RoT timers didn't work, removing the daily caps didn't work, the advanced character crap didn't work, the additional housing didn't work. Sure, some of these changes were appreciated, but you have already lost the ESSENCE of what Siege was supposed to be with these changes. Insurance in the form I have suggested wouldn't hurt it any more than it is and players would still be able to loot all non wearable/equippable items that are in the pack. Siege Bless insurance is a reasonable and easy solution to this shards biggest problem.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Kat I just do not agree with you, Item Insurance or more Siege bless is not the solution, it's a band-aid.
I do read your posts, I do still not agree. Siege is not only about PvP. You say "PvPer's do not want to craft new suits". That's why we do have crafters and farmers in the community.
We had more blessed PvP gear in the past, it become a mega problem and we had to beg the devs to remove that blessing.
Adding more Siege bless will only kill the last crafters we have and the farmers too. You may believe we only need PvP'ers but you are wrong. If you only want to PvP and do not need any of the other parts of UO, I believe Atlantic Fel will fill your need.

I do not care how much longer you have been here than I have. That is a pretty lame comment, in the first place and in the second, most of your time was spent helping newbies and not fully understanding the problems PvPer's had with their gear and replacing it. Now that you are a little more active in some pvp battles, I think you are at least somewhat understanding, yet you are against Siege insurance. It doesn't make sense.
You know very little about me it seem. When you joined NEW 2005?, I had been red since the start of Siege 1999. Mostly as TDO but I was also UDL until they left the server for other games. I was also J-D for a while. I was way more active in PvP in the past. We had fights at player towns everyday. I try to see the game as whole and not just the PvP part of the game. The strength of the Siege community is, we are a lot more than just PvP.

We need to learn from the past and not do the same mistakes twice. When you started Siege, the shard was already dying. We need to fix the problems, that killed Siege, band-aids is not the solution.

I always liked you Kat but I fear you have forgot what Siege is about. I too want Siege back to life.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well since that will never happen, what's next?...la
I don't much like the idea, but Siege Bless insurance [or some other form of insurance] is, in my opinion, the only real solution at this point. I'd rather have full loot, but in this extremely costly, item based game, there hasn't been a better idea tossed into the ring that is doable.

Not only will the removal of AoS ever happen, it simply cannot be removed. I believe it was Wilki who addressed that with one of the head devs and relayed that to us.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure there is anything that the developers can do. Adding insurance will pretty much eliminate the uniqueness of Siege.

I played on Atlantic for the last two weeks to see what the production shards are like (at least the ones with other people). I can assure you, Siege will never be able to get many of the production shard players to move. People love their stuff. They love all of the shiny things they've acquired over the years. They like being able to jump from shard to shard to get more stuff.

It was nice seeing a lot of people in towns, but again, unless they bring Trammel to Siege, many of the production server players won't move.

They like having 7 character slots, they like insurance, they like trammel, they like...

The only way for Siege to grow would be if someone at Broadsword took the initiative to re-code Siege to be to be a T2A server or pre-pub 16 server. IMHO, that will never happen...la

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Getting the Devs to remove the Act of Stupidity known as AoS from Siege would be the cure.
Well since that will never happen, what's next?...la
Hasn't this been discussed a number of times pre-Broadsword? Mythic was trying to push into mobile games/the future. I'm not really sure how Bonnie feels about it, but Rob's business model is all about selling nostalgia. Maybe he'd support the right pitch, if someone scheduled an appointment and got Bonnie on board. I think one of the hangups in the past was that pre-AoS had tons of bugs/exploits and super dated code, so it would require a huge development investment. But maybe they'd consider that as an "expansion" vice releasing new content. Not sure.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Lets see, what they comes up with, when they start working with PvP and VvV.
We can't get rid of AoS but we can make it less complicated. If they upgrade all the artifacts we already have so they are useful or let the crafters improve them, it would be a big help. Maybe a few more useful craftable ones, where the mods are not a pain to get.
And fix that basis resist so we get closer to 50 resist a looted or crafted piece before imbuing.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets see, what they comes up with, when they start working with PvP and VvV.
We can't get rid of AoS but we can make it less complicated. If they upgrade all the artifacts we already have so they are useful or let the crafters improve them, it would be a big help. Maybe a few more useful craftable ones, where the mods are not a pain to get.
And fix that basis resist so we get closer to 50 resist a looted or crafted piece before imbuing.
start working on pvp? less complicated. upgrade arties?? make **** more powerful??
Bo has told boself that bo wouldnt respond to anymore of your threads bout this subject, but you just wont stop.
PVP is as balanced right now as it has ever been...... you are talking bout a time of over 10 years ago.. holy **** let it go. 10 years ago that time aint ever coming back. Look at what Rico said he went to another shard and what did he see, people loving on there shiny things. Bo has said it over and over again, "more people have left this shard because they got tired of replacing gear." People love there gear, they dont want to lose it. How would Bo know this?? Bo has taken more gear from people than anyone in siege history. Bo has gotten more crap bout lootin people. Bo started pvp again, making it no loots, and guess what people want to do it. WHY??? is it that hard for you put 1+1 together to get 2???? CAUSE THEY DIDNT LOSE THERE GEAR! I am not for full insurance but what kat and some others had said bout maybe making it 5 items or so. This will allow people to use more of the gear they love, instead of only wearing on special occasions, or when they have 10 guildies on.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just feel it will end up real bad. We had before seen really nasty people on the shard. If you can't kill and loot them, how do you then stop them, calling a GM?

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just feel it will end up real bad. We had before seen really nasty people on the shard. If you can't kill and loot them, how do you then stop them, calling a GM?
the easiest way to get rid of really nasty people is simple, you dont interact with them. That is what separates Siege from other shards, 1 character per account, makes it really hard for scumbags to hide.
and btw your entire reasoning for not liking some form of insurance is you have a bad feeling cause you got ripped off by someone who you knew was a scammer...

Reactions: Kat

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No, but I have posted my reasons over and over.
A PK with all his gear blessed could make a nice business killing PvM chars or a crafter, who will have a lot not blessed loot in his backpack. If the PK die, he will only loose a few potions if anything.
Sure we would see more PvP'ers but how many of the non PvP community will we lose because they will give up playing the shard.

IMO we should never have more blessed/insured stuff on Siege as it will hurt the community badly.
I guess we will never agree and I know something need to be done to help the shard but there are other ways.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like when UO was dying from loss of players due to ashat's running PKers before Tram was created, the Pkers would drive out all their sheep and so Siege would become boring, then they would leave as they did back in the 90's. Siege will still be here for us.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'd leave seige tomorrow if insurance was instituted.

we did a spawn last week and my guildies chest piece broke. she looted a mob until she found something that worked in a pinch. this is my allure to seige. the ability to adapt.

a lack of players has nothing to do with seige having insurance but more that we happen to love a retro game that has seen its better days. It's a game with a high entry point of learning and having the gold to become competitive backed by a large publicly traded company that lends it a zero advertising budget.

Stryder-SP

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello all just popping in to give my 2 cents,

Siege Perilous died when the game became item based. If you want to see a real influx of a player base you need to roll back to anytime from 1999 to 2002.

Your friendly neighborhood PK who refuses to play non-emulated UO.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
We can't live in the past, we have to move on and find a solution that will work with the game we have now.
As we do not have and most of us do not want Item Insurance, we need to make Devs understand, items need to be easier to replace and easier to put together to a suit, no matter if the items comes from loot drop or crafting.
It's not the risk of losing items, the fear from getting looting or for some, the joy of killing for the loot, that is a problem. That should always be a part of Siege Perilous.

It's the pain of replacing your lost suit, that is a problem and that's what we need solved!
We do have Vendor Search now, so if the items was to find on the vendors, to a much lower price than now, it would not be so hard.
If monster drop had better resist, it would be much easier to replace a hat or a chest and still have 5x70 resists. If we got the luck bonus and the 2x resources Fel get on other shards, the mods would be better too.
If we remove or at least lower player vendor fee, drop 3 x NPC prices and gives 2x drop of imbuing resources too, it will be much easier for crafters, gatheres and farmers to stock the vendors with armor and weapons.

We can live with all the new mods, we just need better access to good gear so we can afford losing it in PvP.

I do not want to go back to before AoS, I want to move forward

Stryder-SP

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah Freja I understand your point and always will but, you will never see a solid player base ever again because there are too many new games with the same functionality today. In order to compete you need to understand how many players exist out there who would quit other games to come back. In a game development scenario there is no reason to not listen to the players who do not play the game. They are the ones you want back playing because the ones who will always play already are.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a game development scenario there is no reason to not listen to the players who do not play the game. They are the ones you want back playing because the ones who will always play already are.
In this particular game, you are a hundred percent correct. There aren't going to be many, if any new players coming to play UO. This is a very old game, but it's also a niche game and devs need to be focused on how to get older players back. In my experience, they are looking for what Ultima Online used to be, but the question is how to please the majority.

A lot of players would probably like almost anything post publish 16 and pre - AoS. I could be somewhat happy with that, but there are a number of things I would miss and I suspect there are others who feel the same.

I would like to see the game as it was the night before AoS rolled out, plus some other things I enjoy. LRC suits, Necro, Pally, Samurai, Ninjitsu and Paladin skills, etc. I enjoy playing several versions of those templates. I wouldn't want to lose custom housing and various deco items and some of the vet rewards. I'd like to keep soul stones, as well.

What would be really cool would be if the devs would give us 3 or 4 new shards with various versions of the game we enjoy.

I know it isn't likely to happen. Just dreaming out loud. :)

Stryder-SP

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
And Kat that is why I have been working on a Siege Perilous ruleset Publish 16 shard for the last 2 weeks. I have about 95% of everything done just need damage balancing. Pays to go to school for game design, stuff that takes the average person years to do , someone who knows how to modify code can roll out in a weekend if they care.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And Kat that is why I have been working on a Siege Perilous ruleset Publish 16 shard for the last 2 weeks. I have about 95% of everything done just need damage balancing. Pays to go to school for game design, stuff that takes the average person years to do , someone who knows how to modify code can roll out in a weekend if they care.

Stryder, if you can give me something like I described above in a Siege Perilous rule set, with at least a semi healthy player base, I would pack up and leave here for good!