• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reluctant to put this on my new laptop...

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UO seems to take a lot of resources and I'm not confident there isn't some "Memory Leak" or some such that could harm my laptop. I'm thinking a "Memory Leak" is where RAM Loads and never removes the loaded computation memory so it bogs the computer down?

What exactly is a Memory Leak? I just don't feel confident with the program anymore and don't know THAT much about computers.

I also don't want to have to run a Defrag every week to play UO.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Depending what you and others do with your computer you could defrag more than once a week or once a month.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Memory leak as you say is when a program will accumulate memory consumed without releasing an equal amount, that said. EC is 32 bit client which means that if memory exceeds around 2.3gb of memory consumed, since that is the maximum a 32 bit client can handle, the game client and game client alone will crash, without any other affect to your pcs hardware or software, and you can launch it again and continue.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO seems to take a lot of resources and I'm not confident there isn't some "Memory Leak" or some such that could harm my laptop. I'm thinking a "Memory Leak" is where RAM Loads and never removes the loaded computation memory so it bogs the computer down?

What exactly is a Memory Leak? I just don't feel confident with the program anymore and don't know THAT much about computers.

You don't defrag main system memory. You defrag a hard drive. To reallocate main system memory you have to restart your computer. Main system memory is RAM, which are the resources which a memory leak primarily affects. To my knowledge UO hasn't had a memory leak issue in well over a decade (I know I have zero memory problems with this game on my desktop and my laptop).

If your main system memory is continually being used up because you don't have enough to support what you are trying to do or all of the programs you have running in the background then the virtual memory file (pagefile.sys) could be getting quite large. This file is stored by default on whichever hard drive you OS is installed on. If this is the case then I would suggest finding any other programs on your computer which may be memory hogs and don't let them run in the background or buy more RAM. DDR3 is relatively inexpensive these days. (Hard drives, SSDs and RAM are some the most inexpensive upgrades you can make to a computer.)

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO is an almost 20 year old piece of software, not heavy lifting by any stretch for even low end modern computers. I run it on an 11in Macbook Air through Wine/X11 without any issue. The only problems are that the login screen runs on a busy cycle eating up more CPU than it should and lag at events which I blame on server-side lag caused by the swarms of cross shard multibox gargoyles.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've no trouble with the CC and UOAssist combo. I run a mix of WIN95 to XP software on WIN10 as well as newer stuff and programs have eventually stopped working well as Windows changes and updates happen and start making Windows quirky with the old software. I've currently got a WIN98 art program thats started occasionally showing the pull down menus in white boxes instead of the normal black boxes and is likely on the way into the ancient software box. Try uninstalling old software and see if the problem goes away.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Sounds like you need a new computer, I found you a good listing on a flyer. This should still run UO lol :p

PS: Check the stats, price seems reasonable hehe :D

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO won't damage your computer, don't worry about installing it.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
UO is a lightweight program now for any half-decent machine of the last 5 years. Defrag and other things have nothing to do with it. My laptop's temperature barely goes up running it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can run three UO clients as well as three ArcheAge clients on my two year old laptop, you'll be fine

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The bugs in UO eat memory, you will have to replace your memory chips every 6 months or so.

Also replace the air in your tires, as it gets tired and your car won't go as fast.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can run it through a Wii with a hard drive connected to it

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The bugs in UO eat memory, you will have to replace your memory chips every 6 months or so.

Also replace the air in your tires, as it gets tired and your car won't go as fast.
It's the blinker fluid and muffler bearings that really get you.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyway, I suppose this has been answered sufficiently by now, but in a nutshell:
Memory leak means a program with bad memory management for that program - it all clears away when you quit the program

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
for real, don't go to sleep with your client running. as long as you don't do that, you will have no issues.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Never had an issue with the CC client and I've been using it on some very old computers. Heck, for the longest time I was still running it on Windows 95 and 98 machines. The login screen, however, is a different story. For some reason that seems to bleed memory if you don't login within a decent amount of time.