• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Religion Revisited?

G

<blockquote><hr>

In my opinion human nature is evidence of something and in my opinion it is evidence of Deity.

<hr></blockquote>
Human nature is self-absorbtion, intolerance, and the destruction of ourselves. Amen.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hehe, thats all too true Jango. er, and that proves evil DOES exist! :p

<hr></blockquote> hehe
I knew it to be true Shai'tan!

G

<blockquote><hr>

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

<hr></blockquote>
And when the hell did he do that??

G

<blockquote><hr>

"If Christ were here there is one thing he would not be--a Christian." - Mark Twain.

<hr></blockquote>
I FULLY agree. Jesus was against organized religion, and was very much a loner, combatting the 'powers that be'.

Again, the temple of god resides within each of us, it's not made out of brick and stone and mortar and stuff where bolts do reside. (Okay, that's a quote from me....)

G

<font color=red>"And when the hell did he do that??"</font color=red>
Just when you wrote that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

if Evil is not an inanimate object then I would say that evil is clearly not subject to the discussion of 'presence' or 'absence' in a purely time-based continuum kind of scenario. Unfortunately we are forced to use terms that cause us to think strictly in a time-based continuum kind of sense simply because they are most appropriate if ineffective/

<hr></blockquote>
What? Hey, feel free to explain yourself in a way wherein people can understand you and you can get gouged.
Time-based continuum? How could we think another way, and would you care to explain how?
I denounce the laticular argument you've expressed demeaning much countering which would therein quantify an articulate rebellion of words and effective retorts..

Or maybe I'm just dumb....

G

<blockquote><hr>

How is God not vain, he lords over humans as a Human does animals. He demands worship or suffer the pain of hell. That is not the work of a creature that is supposed to love you. That is no better than me taking my son who turns out to be a teen malcontent and setting him on fire as punishment for not obeying me. Granted I simplified it alot but I am sure you understand the what I am trying to say.

<hr></blockquote>
I second that, and think it's a great simplification that holds all aspects of the argument true!

G

<blockquote><hr>

The knowledge of early church history by some of the self-proclaimed Christians on this forum is absolutely appalling at times.

<hr></blockquote>
Tell me the percentage of believers that you think have made the effort to objectively pursue the history of their belief?
You're wrong in caling Cyne a troll IMO, it's completely true, and a great point. With "faith", and "belief", you don't need much of anything more, right? Let alone historical facts, and *coughs* you going out of your way to find them.

The religion was built out of hand-me-down information wherein trying to come to your own concusion was considered an act that would disway your "faith", and nobody wants to even consider the other possibility, lest it do so!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've just got one thing to say this time...

Who are we to question God?

<hr></blockquote>
Creatures that have evolved into having the knowledge wherein they have every right to, based on new, assimilated information. A species that wants to survive, and thinks more of their ancestors then of their own, personal demise. A species that cares about their fellow man enough not to bomb the $hit out of them in the hopes they'll personally have a better after-life.

An animal that isn't so damn selfish. That's who we are to question "God".

G

Jermosh, I love your sig, but who are you to promote his existance? You're an impedence to our own survival as a species, your kind will be our downfall IMO.

You believe whatever you want so you can face death selfishly, but hopefully the more intelligent of us will do our best to free our kind from it's self-destruction, which Religion only serves to promote.

How can you not see that?? Have you never considered the possibility of there being no god?? Tell me true!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Tell me the percentage of believers that you think have made the effort to objectively pursue the history of their belief?
You're wrong in caling Cyne a troll IMO, it's completely true, and a great point. With "faith", and "belief", you don't need much of anything more, right? Let alone historical facts, and *coughs* you going out of your way to find them.

<hr></blockquote>
I made a mistake and confused Paul for Peter, it was nothin more then a typo. It was late at night and grammer is not byfar a strong point of mine. I was trying to make a point and the Point was made regardless of the names were right or wrong.

I agree with the pursueing of History, but it is not the easiest thing to study when raiseing a Family. But it does not deminish my Belief anymore, but could make it stronger or weaker.

<blockquote><hr>

The religion was built out of hand-me-down information wherein trying to come to your own concusion was considered an act that would disway your "faith", and nobody wants to even consider the other possibility, lest it do so!

<hr></blockquote>

If you have ever thought that any Christians has not Questioned their Faith you are ill informed, and if they said they have not they are lieing. You also seem to think that I am Cradle Christian, I am not and have been a Free-Thinking Christian for along time and have finally found the Truth for myself. I have often thought like you, I questioned the Church, I have really Questioned the Catholic Church. But one day I found that none of that matters, all that matters is Me and God and nothin else for beliefs.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"And when the hell did he do that??"
Just when you wrote that.

<hr></blockquote>
No, an accumulation of trying to garner information throughout my life 'wrote' that. The devil sure didn't.

Don't project the 'devil' on a mind that has done it's dues in exploring whatever fallacies might exist in religion. I must have spent three years in constantly thinking about and exploring the subject. Honesty, now, I've come to the conclusion that the people who believe in god are those that deny reality and only seem to exist in their own bubble of self-preservation.

It's a let-down for me, but even a more pathetic course for those that I see indulge themselves in it.
True, I might not be "savied", but to me, being "saved" means lying to myself that everything I've learned in life is balderdash and that I've just got to 'believe'!

I believe that I've done my best to objectively observe, learn and understand. Those that were raised by Christians were never given that chance. Sorry for that and stuff, but don't try and change an objective mind that would rather believe in a god then not....

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you have ever thought that any Christians has not Questioned their Faith you are ill informed, and if they said they have not they are lieing. You also seem to think that I am Cradle Christian, I am not and have been a Free-Thinking Christian for along time and have finally found the Truth for myself. I have often thought like you, I questioned the Church, I have really Questioned the Catholic Church. But one day I found that none of that matters, all that matters is Me and God and nothin else for beliefs.

<hr></blockquote>
But there was NOTHING in your belief system to actually question your core belief. I mean, c'mon...
You can't now, in all honesty, tell us that you have EVER questioned your belief in a 'god', or that you've ever even considered it.

Your non-consideration is grounds for dismissal IMO. I mean, us non-believers WANT to consider a 'god', ya know? How crappy is it for us not to? Shoot, we're worm food?
You'd have us believe your way, and I can't help but ask you to consider it our way. At least consider it.

But Christianity is so inbred that it'd never happen. You've got your mind made up and all...

I'll just say that I would LOVE to be you. I would love it, but I can't accept it. I'd be lying to myself.
Want to trade lives??
Christ man, who do you think would want to take an opposing position to you other then one who'd spent a LOT of time doing their own thinking?

Do you thnk much for yourself? Without partiality?

I doubt it. You were raised the way you were, and no matter how articulate you are, you'll always be biased. No offense..

G

Just a FYI my post has nothin to do with my Religuos Beliefs I had this post along time before I refound Christ.

C

chippac

Cynewulf quoted "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matt. 27:46, Mark 15:34) which sums my feeling of it all pretty well (maybe what they said about Jesus is true ...;) )...And ya I agree that one's notion of 'god' is and should be a quiet and subjective personal thing.

L

Lonegamer

Um, that WAS answering your question.... You want to butt at each other, so I agreed! Discussion isn't just stating your opinions, it is also discussing your take on others or other thing like that. Discussion is interactive. You need to discuss to have a discussion. I seem to have thought this was a simple concept.

G

Did you actually read my post? Please do again sober this time. I have answered your questions already.

G

Jango, I need a honest answer. What do you think it is like being a Christian and our viewpoint of the world? I think you have a far off deranged view of it form either personal experiances or the Media.

Also some of the most Famous and Strongest Christians were not cradle Christians. Apostles come to mind as some.

A

Ampmonster

re: jango
history is just the history of others interpretation of religeon.
edit: wrong re

R

Roscoe

<font color=blue>Faith IS BLINDLY accepting! What the hell??
Too contradictory of a post IMO, and extremely bass-akwards... </font color=blue>

It's contradictory to your worldview - that I can agree with. But in my theistic worldview where God is more real than the world around me I find your ideas completely bass-ackwards. The notion that Faith is blind acceptance of anything is ludicrous. Name one thing you do by faith and I'll show you something you do based upon some prior knowledge, experience or observation.

<font color=blue>Please say you're joking! Our humanistic endeavour to establish some type of religion throughout our history provides evidence that there MUST be some sorty of diety?
You have to be kidding! This argument you present only serves to refute itself in that humans are creatures that NEED the belief in some sort of diety! </font color=blue>

I'm not joking. It's that very NEED that you're speaking of which tells me God is there.

<font color=blue>What the hell is moral about us that we need a diety to maintain it?? Wow... </font color=blue>

I'm not saying that humanity is the paragon of moral behavior. I'd say the exact opposite in fact. It's our ability to recognize moral behavior or strive for a utopian notion of society and behavior that reveals something that is just beyond our grasp. A moral standard is there - even in the most corrupt societies. And even our most moral cultures are not exempt from immoral behavior by their own standards. I'd say assistance from deity should be very welcome by society at large - but obviously it's not.

<font color=blue>I'd call this need "Immoral", as we can only be good to eachother with the belief in an afterlife that is based on how good we were to eachother. This belief in an afterlfe has only proven that we will kill eachother for whatever righteous reason our belief structure has provided our simple minds... </font color=blue>

Our ability to kill one another while embracing a belief in an afterlife is not an example of the shortcoming of God - it is an example of the condition of man and his desperate need for God. It is also an example of how easy it is for man to pervert God's intent and corrupt it to the point that it becomes ultimately destructive. In any specific situation each of us as individuals every day face the opportunity to follow God's way or to choose our own. You're right in saying that human nature is self absorbed which inevitably leads us to choose our own way. In an age of individual rights and looking out for number one it doesn't surprise me that it's so hard for people to stomach a system of accountability. But what always cracks me up is when people blame God for our own decisions. Choose wisely every day.

<font color=blue>Human nature is self-absorbtion, intolerance, and the destruction of ourselves. Amen. </font color=blue>

The fact that you can recognize that tells me you have within your mind a moral standard by which to render that judgement.

D

Devin MacGregor

So what is the score right now? Any side ahead? Did half time come and go? Damn.

Tomorrow is the start. 8am to 340pm every Saturday for the next seven weeks. I sure hope this is not the sign of things to come. I may have to point anyone who cant shut up to this forum so they can get some in depth totally life changing discussion and keep the class to studying the different beliefs as they stand and not the right/wrong of it all that turn into fruitless endless debates.

I

imported_snoopy

So did I...your flower analogy doesn't seem to support that though. I am not clear on how you differentiate a discussion from a debate. If I discuss my take on others opinions and we agree, then it is a discussion but if we disagree it is a debate?

I

imported_snoopy

Glad to know we are providing a pedestal for you to sit on. I have a hunch (maybe wishfull thinking..we will see) that the discussions won't be much different than those here. You will sit there and pull your hair out because they are pointless and beneath you and at the end, most of the class will have left thinking the class was fun and you will have wasted your money because dreams of intellectual grandeur will have robbed you of anything positive that you might have gotten out of the class. I could be totally out to lunch too...wouldn't be the first time.

I

imported_snoopy

Hmm...learlier this week you were a redneck...now you are an opressed minority from a ghetto...how many personalities are we talking about? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

Name me a fruitful discussion on these forums, Devin, or one which has as much potential to be. Nah, actually, don't say anything at all, because I've spent five minutes already trying to figure out why you'd try and kill the discussion, and can only surmise as Snoopy did. Ya kinda seem a little on the pathetic side, like maybe you've been left out or something, and are bitter about it.

This is a topic that genuinely interests those that are posting here, otherwise they wouldn't be posting. Who cares whether you think that anything "fruitful" could come of it.
Who cares what you'd consider "fruitful" other then yourself? Go post your same crap on those countless other repub vs demos threads, and if you're just simply tired of seeing the same thread on the first page, well then...too bad bruthah!

In the meantime, I'd like to answer Jermosh, and would ask that you do your best to realize that your angst is your own and that I'm sure you're old enough and have been through enough therapy to get over your egocentricity that you can deal with it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Jango, I need a honest answer. What do you think it is like being a Christian and our viewpoint of the world? I think you have a far off deranged view of it form either personal experiances or the Media.

<hr></blockquote>
Honestly, I think Christians don't have much to worry about. They know that there is someone watching over them and that they have not only a personal friend, but someone that is going to save our species by whisking us off a planet before it's torn apart in war, or drained of natural resources.

I don't know that Christian viewpoint of the world, but would assume it to be one of pity. Pity for those that don't believe the way they do and will surely be condemned to hell in the afterlife. Pity for the ignorance that drives these people's lives that believe in Mohammed or Allah, or what have you, and intolerance that these infidels would destroy the world trade centers. I think that the terrorists that did this were just as fervent in their belief that they were doing what was right, as we are in our belief that god will bless America.

In many ways, I think their views are very similiar to mine in that I feel bad for the ignorance that religion, in general, has bestowed upon our entire population. But I don't have the luxury of believing in an after-life, and my knowledge of the bleakness of my reality is disconcerting. It furthers my anger towards those who seemingly live their life in cheery bliss believing that essentialy, everything is going to be OOOOKAAAAAY....

No, everything is NOT going to be okay, and this belief that it is only furthers that it won't be!

I don't like religious people.
I believe that for the most part, they're selfish in that they think they can live their lives however they want and as long as they believe in god, or go to church on Sundays, they have salvation.

If you're going to be Christian (the religion I know best), you can't swear and then just go to confession, or pray for forgiveness.
You can't lust, masturbate, think unholy thoughts, etc, you have to live as Jesus taught, and that is that the sin is commited once the mind thinks it. You can't even have impure thoughts...
But not only do most Christians seem to judge and condemn, they themselves hold their religion like an umbrella above their head so that none of their own bull$hit touches them.

I remember while doing home-remodeling work, I walked into this multi-million dollar house and was in complete awe of the amount of money that must have been spent on it's decoration.

Right there in the foyer, the centerpiece of it's entranceway, was this marble pedestal, atop of which was a large, illustrated bible, opened up to reveal the beautiful artwork. The damn thing must have cost a grand.

But I couldn't stop thinking. Jesus had NOTHING (historians say different, but most Christians don't know this). And if you TRULY believed in a god, why would you indulge yourself in such lush surroundings? And why would you make sure to place a bible RIGHT in your home's entryway?
A prayer said should be a prayer said alone. Your relationship with god, as was stated before, should be a purely personal one, not something that you make sure and put in your foyer so everyone would know that you have one.

Yeah, this one had me thinking for awhile. I just think that if I truly believed in Jesus' teachings that I'd be spending my money on adopting children from third-world countries, so I could save them, not on refurbishing hardwood floors for my own self-indulgence.

That, and my Cousin's death. That hardened me to religion, and made me start to want to pummel Christians.

But the biggest thing was when I was in High School, and I took on one of the hardest classes, Anthropology, and I chose to trace the history of religion as my report for my final.

Then, about five years ago I was flipping through the channels and came across the Religion channel. I thought I'd take a look for a bit, and found the lady with caked-on make-up and big-ass hair-do a little amusing. Then they suddenly cut to Paul Berkowitz (The Son of Sam killer) in jail, touting that he'd found Jesus, and preaching about how wonderful he felt for knowing that he was forgiven.

The camera cut back to the super-do, make-up queen, dabbing her doey eyes and exclaiming that if Jesus could forgive Paul, then surely he could you!

Boy, I dialed that 800 namber countless times trying to get through. How the hell could they do that? Imagine if the families of his victims were watching that show and seeing them allowing this monster a frickin' pulpit, and preaching the word of god for the purpose of this show's profits. How the would that make them feel??
I didn't get through on the line and gave up after about ten minutes, but I was just thinking that it was VERY, VERY wrong, and the station should have been taken off the air for allowing him to preach.

So there's your answer, Jermosh. A little media, a lot of personal experience.

I was also in catholic school in CA, was a member of a prodistant church as a child, then moved to Utah when I was 15 only to be shunned by kids because their parents wouldn't allow them to hang out with me because I wasn't mormon.

What's your viewpoint of the world, Jermosh? And you talk about questioning your faith, what part did you question? Certainly not the belief in god I'm sure...

G

<blockquote><hr>

But in my theistic worldview where God is more real than the world around me I find your ideas completely bass-ackwards.

<hr></blockquote>
I just don't understand how something that isn't proven is more real then that which has been. I understand your viewpoint, but you must have had some serious personal proof of god.
Okay, can you say without equivocation that you deny that having 'faith' in something doesn't alter your own perceptions? Like having preconceived notions and then only allowing posirive reinforcement because of this preconceived notion?

<blockquote><hr>

The notion that Faith is blind acceptance of anything is ludicrous.

<hr></blockquote>Faith is believing without proof, right? It's not blind acceptance of anything. In this instance, I believe that it's indulging in a singular, carnal need while denying all other evidence. It's not "anything" man, it's THE thing.

<blockquote><hr>

I'm not joking. It's that very NEED that you're speaking of which tells me God is there.

<hr></blockquote>
How does this make sense? I mean, we're the only creatures that are aware of their imminent demise. Isn't the NEED for every being on this Earth to believe in some sort of diety that would provide them with an afterlife kind of suspect? Every one of us "needs" to believe, I think this is purely a human condition and completely contradictory to any argument put forth for the existance of a god based on this fact.

I won't quote anymore, but would just say that the recognition of moral behavior does not mean that we've needed a god to define those morals for us. We know right from wrong just because we're not stupid, and can realize the impact of our transgressions on our fellow person.

D

Devin MacGregor

<blockquote><hr>

Name me a fruitful discussion on these forums, Devin, or one which has as much potential to be. Nah, actually, don't say anything at all, because I've spent five minutes already trying to figure out why you'd try and kill the discussion, and can only surmise as Snoopy did. Ya kinda seem a little on the pathetic side, like maybe you've been left out or something, and are bitter about it.

<hr></blockquote>

LOL, No it couldnt be Jango Fett of close to 5 years of the same topic with the same type of people who begin a thread as if they are going to change the world.

And how did I try to kill a discussion? I have no ability to do so. I have not quite reached the 5th circle of telekinesis and telepathy at the moment. I am working on it. After you finish this next brew take a gander over to the left. You will see no shield attached to my name.

Many here can attest that I am not a simply go with the crowd person and typically does his own thing even if I am the only one voicing that opinion. I often go out on that limb to inject another viewpoint. I am not here to win a popularity contest but thanks for the personal psychoanalysis.

You, an Athiest started this thread with what intent? Certainly NOT to learn about the culture of differnent people but to belittle and for what? I will get to that in your last paragraph.

<blockquote><hr>

This is a topic that genuinely interests those that are posting here, otherwise they wouldn't be posting. Who cares whether you think that anything "fruitful" could come of it.
Who cares what you'd consider "fruitful" other then yourself? Go post your same crap on those countless other repub vs demos threads, and if you're just simply tired of seeing the same thread on the first page, well then...too bad bruthah!

<hr></blockquote>

Was that a sober response? How many did ya down to come up with this? Hmmm, it seems you care to make a reply to me to tell me you dont care. It is a topic of interest but your intent was not to learn but to belittle. People post to defend their belief system as well. They can interpret this as an attack upon who and what they believe in and certainly not a position of they come here to get enlightened. This is why it is a topic of interest.

Politics ebbs and flows. I certainly do not post with the belief that I am going to change minds. It is why I find links to be fruitless since they will be dismissed anyway. Peoples minds are already made up. This is a forum created by a gaming host who created this so we could come here and blither as if we are important and stay off the forums that were intended for game discussion. I know I know that is just me being bitter at not being important and certainly not insight to the truth of it all that NONE of us are actually changing anything NOR actually part of anything that has the ability to change anything and in the end our discussions here dont mount to ****. The only thing that matters is any bond that is created between posters which is happening outside of the discussion arena.

I do not have Xians or any other group come knocking on my door. At least not for a very very long time. Do you? Is this why such a need to start a religion thread? Those of "faith" can be annoying but so can those who claim "no faith."

<blockquote><hr>

In the meantime, I'd like to answer Jermosh, and would ask that you do your best to realize that your angst is your own and that I'm sure you're old enough and have been through enough therapy to get over your egocentricity that you can deal with it.

<hr></blockquote>

Again, how many beers is that? You are the one who started this thread and again for what purpose? Certainly not to objectively learn of others cultures but where you could spout off your superior intellect to all "the little monkeys who still play with idols." You are far more evolved for that kind of BLINDNESS. Again ask YOURSELF as an athiest why are you so bent on disproving them? Perhaps it is therapy that YOU need to seek to answer those deep inner problems you have. It goes beyond a religion's disbelief in modern medicine. If you were ****d by some priest as a child or an adult then you have my deepest apologies.

I know I know you never started this thread because you wanted to be important nor yourself have feelings of not being important and powerless to change the world from this wrongful thinking of diety. Nope not you. I am simply bitter because nobody loves me. *sniff sniff*

As for snoop doggy dog he is waaaaaay off base. This is an informal arena. There is no grade here. Topics meander back and forth. In a classroom environment they should be structured. This class that starts tomorrow is about World Religions. It is their understanding of them. How they came to be, how they developed, and in what form are they today. It IS NOT a forum for the disproving of any of them. It is not an arena to say which is right and which is wrong. It is not some pulpit to promote any form of dogma whether from the "faith" or "no faith" side. Problem is that two sides of coin simply cannot shut the up for a minute. Now since I was there perhaps I actually know what happened and neither of you do. Scientifically there just might be a probability of that. Both classes were dropped not only because of classroom discussions that turning into pulpits for people to NOT discuss but to support their own belief system and that includes the "no faith" group but dropped due to the fact I was on call all the time. My workload changed at the time. Working fulltime means can only take a certain payload. This is a different job and I have the "hot potato" every 7th week. I look at the subject from a historical aspect. Religion has been with Man since well probably since we fell out of a tree. I am not here to convert nor am I here to unconvert others but then to unconvert would be to convert them to my belief system, would it not. A rhetorical question since most Athiests spin and will blither they dont have one, most that I have encountered.

No in both those classes discussions turned into someone of one belief not approaching with an open mind and stating the wrongness of that particular religion and when we get to J/C/I which is typically the tail end we now have the athiest piping in. We then have the two groups combatting heads. Again what was the scope of the class? It was to discuss the meaning of that religion etc not to dismiss it. Do I hold both Instructors accountable for not having better control? Yes, but we have a limited time for lecture and since the discussions are not but two sides trying to convert one another what the lecture was about is lost. I pay to have the class. I dont pay here. If I pay I want better service. That is my right as a paying customer. This is no different than any other class I have had where some Egghead feels the need to throw out his intellect to impress the rest of the class and talk outside the scope of the current topic. Gee, lets talk about javascript completely outside the scope of the class when the current lecture is on inserting an image and again the class is to never get into javascript. It is a waste of the rest of the paying customers time. In a non paying environment fine, but not in a paying environment. If the class is beneath their current knowledge then they either dont take the class or do as the rest of us do, they pretend that this topic is new to them and stay within the scope because they need the class to complete which ever program they are following. I have taken many classes that were beneath my then current knowledge because it was part of the needed curriculum. I have sat next to people who were lot younger, had no job, still lived at home, and viewed things conceptually because they had little to no practical knowledge of that profession. Did I tell them that? No, they had no clue. I listened to them as if everything was new.

Now I dont care for organized religion as well. People take offense to that because they believe I am saying their belief system is wrong. NO I am against the Jerry Falwell's of the world who have conned little old ladies in sending their last dollar to them thinking that Jerry would get them that Hope when according to their own belief system they dont need Jerry and could be eating something more than cat food. I am not against the local churches who do go out and make a difference in the community. In that I mean instilling that people need to look out for their fellow neighbors, going out and cleaning up neighborhoods, feeding the homeless, etc. I am completely against the guilt trip that many attempt employ to get you to join their "club."

Can I get off the couch now? Are we done.

W

Wisty

&gt; Why can't you folks figure out that your country did not go to war for humanitarian reasons.

Wrong. I am my country (born here, from a fairly long line on one side, albeit one person = me), I was for the war, and for HUMANITARIAN reasons (to get Saddam out of there, for the sake of the Iraqi's AND the whole world AND because NO country should have to live under tyranny and despostism). I'm not the only person who was in favor of the war for HUMANITARIAN reasons -- my whole family was in favor for the same reasons I was, and other people I talked to were likewise.

&gt; there are countries that would be far higher on the list.

Such as which ones? And are they being run by blood-thirsty, insane, human-torturing/murdering tyrants? And are they in a position where they CAN be brought down without starting WWIII?

If U.S. hadn't gotten rid of Saddam, he would have gone on mutiliating and torturing and murdering the country -- far far more would have died than any who did when toppling Saddam. In situations like this nothing is ever perfect, people can be harmed or killed while trying to save them or others, and so can our soldiers be harmed or killed. Had my own country not gone to war (many harmed, killed) who knows what kind of crappy government we'd be living under now, if at all. Ditto to your country since there isn't a free country which hasn't had to undergo war and emancipation including death of innocents and soldiers in order to attain it. Perhaps you should look back over your own country's history -- did it have to go to war in order to have the freedom it now enjoys -- what if it didn't go to war, what if they couldn't defend themselves and or no one would go to defend them; or what if other countries simply stepped in and freed them from whatever tyranny was in power at the time? How would that be different than Iraq? It wouldn't be different. I don't care if you don't like what if's -- sometimes it's the only way to get valid points across.

Meanwhile, another what if. What if the whole U.N. was in favor of going in to get Saddam, and so they all did, in the same way U.S./U.K. did, with the same results, would you still complain about any casualities and that it was wrong?

W

Wisty

&gt; If a christian assumes that the devil exists, then they're polytheistic.(IMO) Unless of course, they wish to admit that god is the devil, and vice versa.

Wrong. There is one God. God created everything and gave animals free will, to whatever degree their respective intelligences could hold. That included creating the angels, of which satan reportedly is one. satan however was not happy where he was, he was jealous of God, and so on and so on. You know the story. Because he rebelled against God with the same free will that God grants everyone, doesn't make satan a god himself (except to satanists and those who choose to worship him -- then yes, those people, if they also worship God, would be polytheistic.) I don't worship satan. It would go totally against my nature -- it would feel totally icky -- there would be no joy, no logic, nothing good in it. I do worship the Christian God. I don't know that I believe there is a satan or devils, but that's my hangup I guess. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Anyhow, point is, even if I did believe satan exists, would not make me polytheistic at all because I would not worship satan nor accept him as a god or God -- I would continue to accept only the one Christian God.

So how did you come by your conclusion that if people believe in satan they suddenly negate Christianity by voiding the "One God Only" basis for the religion? You must be confusing Christians with satanists, right?

W

Wisty

&gt; The story of "Noah" is from a sumerian story born far earlier than the bible.

I'm going to have to pass on one part of this reply for now, only because I can't remember at the moment what I read and studied about "borrowed" stories. However I will reply with this part, which is, have you never repeated a story or incident from history (yours or someone else's or the world at large) to teach someone something very important, especially for their sake? We are constantly in the process of repeating things that have taken place and taken place many times. Not everything is new; few things are. We are continually borrowing on history. If, for example, a very important event took place before a particular biblical prophet's time, and so he borrowed it and included it in his writings to further his point; or for that matter, the things Jesus borrowed from history (which he did borrow, either to fortify, emphacize, clarify, re-emphacize, or needfully alter it) to use as an educational piece, so? Does this make it any less valid? Besides which, there are many parables in the bible, and stories intended not for earthly factual bits and instead as symbols and teaching aids. Such as Adam and Eve. Knowing which stories are borrowed from factual events or parables, and which are new facts or parables, is a problem I have because I tend not to believe everything I'm told nor everything I read. Also, the bible was written by humans, inspired by God and Jesus, but written by humans -- the potential for confusion and flaws is there, imo -- but the real meat, the real truth, especially in Jesus's words, is very blatant.

Also, because an event maybe did occur prior to the birth of the bible, doesn't mean it couldn't have occurred a second time.

Anyhow, so much for a vague defense. Nevertheless! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif *grumbles about times like this wishing to be a scholarly bible-thumper as much as she dislikes that kind of personality, specially those who leave no room for anything but the precise literal meaning, when in fact some things cannot be taken literally*

R

Roscoe

<font color=blue>I just don't understand how something that isn't proven is more real then that which has been. I understand your viewpoint, but you must have had some serious personal proof of god. </font color=blue>

In some ways yes, I have had some serious personal proof. And by many accounts my 'proof' is very mild. I have certianly struggled in my faith and there are times I just don't get why things are happening the way they are. But it's the ability to do more than just cope through trying times that helps me to see the reality of my faith - it's the ability to overcome during trying times that really makes a difference. Beyond that it's those moment of present reality when I am accutely aware of the presence of God in my life. And those are sweetest because they come at the most mundane times.

<font color=blue>Okay, can you say without equivocation that you deny that having 'faith' in something doesn't alter your own perceptions? Like having preconceived notions and then only allowing posirive reinforcement because of this preconceived notion? </font color=blue>

People can convince themselves of anything - including that there is no God. I guess we both have to answer that question for ourselves. I am confident, however, that my zeal has certainly lead me down paths in the past that have been corrected over time. I am sure that this process will continue to happen in the future. But I am most confident that it is Faith which has opened my eyes to a larger reality.

<font color=blue>Faith is believing without proof, right? It's not blind acceptance of anything. In this instance, I believe that it's indulging in a singular, carnal need while denying all other evidence. It's not "anything" man, it's THE thing. </font color=blue>

Faith is not believing without proof - faith is the mechanism which gives us proof. It completes the fullness of reality by opening our eyes to the spiritual dimension. I believe that Faith is indulging in a fundamental spiritual need for the created to be in connection with the creator.

<font color=blue>How does this make sense? I mean, we're the only creatures that are aware of their imminent demise. Isn't the NEED for every being on this Earth to believe in some sort of diety that would provide them with an afterlife kind of suspect? Every one of us "needs" to believe, I think this is purely a human condition and completely contradictory to any argument put forth for the existance of a god based on this fact. </font color=blue>

It is the awareness or this ability to know combined with our moral sense and our personal nature that all combines to ask some very large questions about who we are. What I am simply saying is that I cannot find a suitable and logical explanation for the evolution of such traits to explain those needs. So unless I have arbitrarily excluded the possibility of deity as an explanation of those traits then I must, if I'm to be honest, explore the possibilities of deity being responsible for their being a part of our existence. I have done this and I am satisfied that the existance of Deity is a logical conclusion.

<font color=blue>I won't quote anymore, but would just say that the recognition of moral behavior does not mean that we've needed a god to define those morals for us. We know right from wrong just because we're not stupid, and can realize the impact of our transgressions on our fellow person. </font color=blue>

Knowledge, morality and personal nature - funny that you would use those three things in your assertion and so I must ask how it is that we can know anything much less that these 'transgressions' are really transgressions and why the need to relate personally with our fellow man? Why are we not simply like a dog or a tiger roaming the forest - looking for our next bit of food, defending our territory and going through our mating rituals. Oh - for those that say we are doing exactly that - let me know when dogs serve notice and start ruling the earth.

W

Wisty

P.S. And to whomever it was that mocked my "You cannot blame God." Was it Snoops or LC? I'm too tired to try to find it. I just want to add, that if you want to blame God (or would blame God if you could believe He existed) go ahead, that's your call, your free will. And, I admit, there were years I bounced in and out of anger at God and blaming him and even shaking my fist at the ceiling, demanding to know why I have such a difficult journey and have wasted so much of my life/time. But then I realized I had choices, I could have made better ones, I could have remained closer to God, studying the bible, staying with a church, doing things more God's way instead of so much MY way. Also, I'm very(!) headstrong -- want to do it MY way(!) -- and or too chicken to do it ANY way, just let things ride, see if Tomorrow will do all the things that *I* need to do. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif It wasn't God. And even if it was, there are things I badly needed to learn(!!) And I learned them, the hard (my!) way(!!) /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif So, perhaps I didn't waste my life/time because I learned some extremely difficult, valuable lessons -- though I did waste a lot of my "fun" years/time, for sure.

In any event, I don't blame God. And I never will. For anything. What happens, happens. What is, is. We are here for reasons. We learn what we learn on earth; and then we learn even more, after we die.

Likewise, I used to blame my parents, specially my mother, for everythign that went wrong in my life; and then blamed my ex-. I don't do that now. True, they did things they shouldn't have, specially(!) my ex-. But I could have done things better, too. I forgave my parents, but I can never forgive my ex-. There is no excuse, no reasoning to remedy that -- especially my having to live with all this every second of my (sometimes in agony) life. Had I listened to God, I would not have married my ex-. I would have done a lot of things differently/better had I listened to God, who was cautioning me, the wisdom was there, but I just couldn't/wouldn't hear it. Hindsight now.

Anyhow, I repeat, it's not God's fault. He has His reasons, and He explains them to us, not for His sake, but for ours. But, to each his/her own way of thinking about this.

W

Wisty

P.S. x 2 - to anyone who has seen the movie and might have some answers for me. The movie I mean, is Cage's/Ryan's "City of Angels" where angel Cage "falls to earth" because he "fell in love with mortal Ryan." Originally I found the movie to be very romantic, spiritual, uplifting. And then I equated it with the biblical story where angels went against God and came to earth because they lusted for the beautiful mortal women and they took up with them. Is that movie in any way related to "that" kind of "fallen" angel? Or what? Any of you spiritual-minded or Christians have some insight into that? I love that movie. Just as I love "The Family Man." I tend to take movies like that at a superficial ("Oh how sweet") level, when perhaps there is really more to it. Which is why I'm asking here. Anyone? Please??

G

Oh, so if a guy walks by this other guy thats taken these 2 little girls to molest them, the first guy has a gun and is way bigger than the guy thats wants to molest the little girls, but instead of stopping him, he just shrugs and walks on.

You meet him a month later and you read that the two little girls was molested for weeks and then was hacked apart while they were still alive...he tells you the story and that he is sorry for the two little girls, but didn't want to interfere...would you tell him that he's very kind, loving person and not blame him whatsoever?

G

<blockquote><hr>

And, I admit, there were years I bounced in and out of anger at God and blaming him and even shaking my fist at the ceiling, demanding to know why I have such a difficult journey and have wasted so much of my life/time.

<hr></blockquote>
You know when I lost my little Jimmy, the best thing I did was get angry at God, I was infurios with Him. I think He wants us to be angry at him because He can take it. But if I turned that anger at myself or my Wife, her or me would have never been able to take it and would never healed our hearts, it would have turned into bitterness and destroy me and my family. But the anger of Him turned into Forgiveness for him, then understanding, then a more strong Love of God that I never felt before.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And then I equated it with the biblical story where angels went against God and came to earth because they lusted for the beautiful mortal women and they took up with them.

<hr></blockquote>

I do not think so, the ones in early Genisis are about Sons of God. So I am not sure if they were truely Angels. This is where we got allot of Mytholegy beings of the old. The offspring of them was Nephilim heros of the Old, and the Palistines Giant Race was suppose to be be related some how to them. I would love to learn more of this part but do not have the time to study.

Plus also I think the key factor was they Lusted after the daughters of Man, lust is a big differance then Love. Unless you are Budner of course /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I

imported_JagdWulfe

Okay why is it christians say we have free will but anything we want that they don't like they want banned?

C

chippac

Just to keep the spiciness of it fresh. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

W

Wisty

Please explain what you're talking about, and quote from me what you're referring to -- otherwise I've no clue what you're getting at. Doesn't sound like anything I posted.

However, I'll take this last post of yours literally, and reply it back to you to make sure I understood it correctly, and see where we go from here.

You said, a big strong guy with a gun was walking down the street and saw a man with 2 little girls. Now, you didn't explain how the 1st guy knew the 2nd guy was molesting the little girls. How would the 1st guy know? He might just assume they were the 2nd guy's kids. Assuming he thought they were the 2nd guy's kids, there would be no reason for him to draw his gun and shoot the 2nd guy.

However, assuming the 2nd guy made it very clear (though WHY would he?) that he was molesting these 2 little girls, the 1st guy should indeed do something, whether acting immediately by himself or following the guy and calling police.

But, IF the 1st guy KNEW the 2nd guy was molesting the 2 little girls, yet the 1st guy did nothing and didn't care, and if it was proven that the 1st guy could have done something but didn't, I suppose he could be prosecuted on some grounds -- or if not, for the rest of his life he has to live with the knowledge that his not caring to do anything helped bring about the girls' demise.

Meanwhile, if I knew the whole story, and knew it to be true, and knew the guy didn't care to help, I wouldn't be telling him he is a kind, loving person and not to be blamed whatsoever, unless his reason for NOT helping was very valid. Maybe he was afraid, maybe he didn't put two and two together (fully) until later (when the 2nd guy/kids vanished), who knows. But if he was agonizing for not having helped, something he really wanted to do but for whatever reason couldn't, I would find it hard to blame him or make him suffer worse. We can't all be heros or even know how to be or at the critical moment we need to be.

Nothing is black or white. There are so many subtle or otherwise hues in between, out and beyond and all around the edges of most scenarios.

And whether someone helped or not, the MAIN BLAME is on the sicko who molested and murdered the 2 little girls.

Now, if you are going to reply to this, please quote and tie it in with why you asked this in the first place, ok? Otherwise we're just a bunch of words veering off in all directions, not reaching each other, useless attempts and a waste of our time, ok?

W

Wisty

&gt; Okay why is it christians say we have free will but anything we want that they don't like they want banned?

You've got a point there; and you've sorta not got a point there. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Some Christians take things way over the lines (as do some religions and non-religions). Not all do. So don't blame "all" since "all" do not think like "all." And even if Christians (or whatever group) did ban everything you liked and (as you said) took away your free will, they can't, you still have free will to the day you die, you can boycott, rebel, ban together with others like yourself to change things, go to war, or not and instead find things within the restricted life to be happy about. About the only time your free will would be totally curtailed would be if you were captured, imprisoned, tied up, muted, blind-folded, tube-fed (or starved). You would still have the use of your mind until they tortured you enough to prevent you from being able to think. Sadly things that severe have happened to pow's and to civilians throughout history. However, except for those extreme cases, you will always have your free will -- even if it's just the expanse of your mind (for now, until science takes that over, too.)

And to further disprove your statement, I am Christian and in what way have I taken away even one tiny bit of your free will aside from what doesn't fit inside the RoC, and even then many times I let RoC breaches slide (I almost typed breeches slide eek!) because it doesn't interest me enough to hit the mod button -- we all get moody, angry, touchy, say things, etc. Me included. I hit the RoC only when it's an ongoing personal attack that disrupts the flow of the threads -- even if it's just MY thread it disrupts. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

R

Roscoe

<font color=blue>Okay why is it christians say we have free will but anything we want that they don't like they want banned? </font color=blue>

<font color=green>Wistaria's response: you've got a point there...</font color=blue>

That's no point, morality is the underpinning of freedom. Freedom without morality is corruption and, well, immorality.

G

Oh, this isn't a waste of time, believe me.

<blockquote><hr>

Now, you didn't explain how the 1st guy knew the 2nd guy was molesting the little girls.

<hr></blockquote>

Lets just for the sake of the story say that the other gay was hauling the girls half undressed and screaming for help into a van, noone else are around.

The guy does not call the police and the guy does not interfere and it is clear from the situation (and the strength of the guy) that there would be very close to zero risk to him for intervening.

And lets just say that he explains himself by saying that he would never interfere with what anyone else is doing, no matter how easy he could do it or how horrible it is...as an example he says that if a guy came over while you two were talking and hit you, he would not interfere...even if the guy tried to **** you, he would not interfere.

Now, the question still stands, is the man a good man, would you say he has a bad philosphy?

I

imported_snoopy

<blockquote><hr>

&gt; Why can't you folks figure out that your country did not go to war for humanitarian reasons.

Wrong. I am my country (born here, from a fairly long line on one side, albeit one person = me), I was for the war, and for HUMANITARIAN reasons (to get Saddam out of there,

<hr></blockquote>
Do you have a reading disability? Your response in this and another thread leads me to believe you do. I could care less about why you think invading Iraq was a good idea...I am talking about the reasons your country went to war. I am talking about the hysteria your government generated over WMD's and imminent threat. I am talking about what your government said as it was pressuring other governments to join it in it's little crusade. This has nothing to do with you and your family and everything to do with a war undertaken by your nation.

<blockquote><hr>

&gt; there are countries that would be far higher on the list.

Such as which ones? And are they being run by blood-thirsty, insane, human-torturing/murdering tyrants?

<hr></blockquote>
Are you truly this ignorant of world affairs or is this a troll?

<blockquote><hr>

If U.S. hadn't gotten rid of Saddam, he would have gone on mutiliating and torturing and murdering the country -- far far more would have died than any who did when toppling Saddam.

<hr></blockquote>
This is based on exatly what? How many thousands a year was he killing? IN the end this has nothing to do with anything because this is not the reason your government (please read that again...this is not the reason your government...I could care less about your bizarre world view) went to war. Revisionist history is a propeganda tool of your government and the only reason it works is because there are plenty of clueless sheep who are more than willing to toe the line.

<blockquote><hr>

Perhaps you should look back over your own country's history -- did it have to go to war in order to have the freedom it now enjoys

<hr></blockquote>
Yes it did...it had to go to war with you. Going to war with Iraq has nothing to do with your freedom though.

<blockquote><hr>

I don't care if you don't like what if's -- sometimes it's the only way to get valid points across.

<hr></blockquote>
If your point is so weak that you have to make up stuff to get it across it is hardly valid.

<blockquote><hr>

What if the whole U.N. was in favor of going in to get Saddam,

<hr></blockquote>
What if unicorns were real? What if JFK hit the button during the bay of pigs? What if grass were blue? What if I had unlimited power?

The fact is that the UN was not in favour of getting rid of Saddam so your what if is meaningless.

I

imported_snoopy

The man is a scum sucking piece of slime who is every bit as bad as the pedophile...maybe worse because we assume that the man knows better and knows how the child is being victimized.

P

Phantame

I definitely believe in God and Jesus, but more than that I dont know about.... cant even say why i believe in them.

i have alot of problems with the bible and frankly i hate large parts of it. supposedly the most important thing is to love God... well i just couldnt do that if He's sending most of my friends and family to hell. so i'm kinda left in this limbo where i dunno what the hecks going on. My cousin is gay, and I can't see shes doing anything wrong but the church would have it shes the worst thing since Hitler.

I guess in the end i believe the bible gives the rough idea but it was written by people who were making things up as they went along, and a whole lot of stuff got where it shouldnt be.

its pointless to argue about it but i can never help but get involved for soem reason, heh

I

imported_JagdWulfe

"Some Christians take things way over the lines (as do some religions and non-religions). Not all do. So don't blame "all" since "all" do not think like "all." And even if Christians (or whatever group) did ban everything you liked and (as you said) took away your free will, they can't, you still have free will to the day you die, you can boycott, rebel, ban together with others like yourself to change things, go to war, or not and instead find things within the restricted life to be happy about. "

I'd probably start bombing churches of the groups that want the bans. I'd beat them at their own game and make their lives a living hell. I would do things that would make Hitler and Stalin vomit. Bad enough there is a movement to make America a Christian state &lt;Hopefully that day never comes&gt;. Thing is Wistaria you have to understand alot of Christians are nothing more than mere sheep and will do whatever they are instructed by their respective church leaders. They do not have minds of their own and in fact free will is wasted on them due to their sheeplike nature of accepting whatever drivel comes out of the pope or other religious figure.

I

imported_JagdWulfe

"That's no point, morality is the underpinning of freedom. Freedom without morality is corruption and, well, immorality. "

And whose morality do we use? Remember in 18th century Japan it was morally acceptable to have sex with boys. In china at one point cannibalism was acceptable. In Africa it is acceptable to mutilate the genetalia of young women. So do we use Western morality or someone elses?