• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raising Stats Before Advanced Training

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it make any difference if you work up a pet to get their low stats to the 125 cap before hitting the button to start advanced training, or if you do that work up afterward?

My concerns are either: 1) starting advanced training will stop normal stat gains from combat, leaving me to spend training points on stats I could have gotten for free, or 2) that training up all the stats/skills before starting advanced training might make a 3 slot pet jump a level because it's gotten stronger than some unknown threshold.

Specifically, this is for a fresh 3 slot bane. I've trained up other pets without this concern, but for this pet I'm paranoid that I may mess something up. Thanks!

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have not trained a bane. But I’m thinking you’ll be ok with either option. So long as you get the stats to 125 before you spend the points. Given I have not trained a bane, I have trained current spawning 2 slot mares that had an intensity rating over 100% and they did not slot jump after getting the stats to 125 and hit the training button.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pets aren't supposed to slot jump once tamed. On current patch - I have seen najas slot jump from 2 to 3slot while I was taming them when they were very close. Gaining just one Dex/stam caused them to jump. But not after tamed.

I'd still recommend at least hitting the blue gem to prevent the slot jump if you are going to train up basic stats to 125 before increasing beyond that. You never know how Broadsword changes the system.

On other hand it could also break a pet, some banes were stuck at 4 slot cause people hit the gem and then something changed in training system which made banes go 3 slots but not those with the gem clicked. (even recommendation of releasing and retaming didn't work)

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Mordha and Lex. It seemed to work fine after hitting the blue button. I was just being paranoid.
I have an old 3-slot pre-patch dragon in the stables that I know will jump to 5 slot once I hit the button, so I wasn't confident that I couldn't mess something up.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Thanks Mordha and Lex. It seemed to work fine after hitting the blue button. I was just being paranoid.
I have an old 3-slot pre-patch dragon in the stables that I know will jump to 5 slot once I hit the button, so I wasn't confident that I couldn't mess something up.
Copy the Char with the Dragon over to TC and see what happens.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They jump to 4 not 5.

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They jump to 4 not 5.
You're right, it jumps one slot to 4. I've only done it on TC once long ago and just remembered thinking "well, this is not good"... It's a legacy dragon with 823 STR, but seems like at 4 slots isn't trainable to be comparable to other pets.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're right, it jumps one slot to 4. I've only done it on TC once long ago and just remembered thinking "well, this is not good"... It's a legacy dragon with 823 STR, but seems like at 4 slots isn't trainable to be comparable to other pets.
At that point, basically better off with a Stygian Drake than a Dragon. They too go up to 825 STR, and don't waste a special on Dragon Breath. Still very tight on points though if you go for 120 Chiv+AI build.
The Dragon Wolf can also spawn with very high STR (785-915), can be 3 or 4 slots, but they have Dragon Breath and can't learn Chiv. They're best off with Wrest Mastery or just AI.

The Strongest of them all though is the Shadow Wyrm. 900-1,030 STR, and even 29-35 Base Damage. They always spawn as 5 slots though. There are a few Shadow Wyrms that were bugged down to 4 slots though and given Chiv+AI, and those things hit so hard as to make Sosaria tremble and the heavens weep blood.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
At that point, basically better off with a Stygian Drake than a Dragon. They too go up to 825 STR, and don't waste a special on Dragon Breath. Still very tight on points though if you go for 120 Chiv+AI build.
The Dragon Wolf can also spawn with very high STR (785-915), can be 3 or 4 slots, but they have Dragon Breath and can't learn Chiv. They're best off with Wrest Mastery or just AI.

The Strongest of them all though is the Shadow Wyrm. 900-1,030 STR, and even 29-35 Base Damage. They always spawn as 5 slots though. There are a few Shadow Wyrms that were bugged down to 4 slots though and given Chiv+AI, and those things hit so hard as to make Sosaria tremble and the heavens weep blood.
I really like Stygian Drake and hope one day to find party of tamers with those drakes to go hunt something together. They have pack instinct if not trained. Pity they loose it with training. So this drakes are more a vanity pet for me.

And you broke my hope to one day find and tame 4 slot Shadow. Damn, I killed so many of them searching for that 4-slotter.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really like Stygian Drake and hope one day to find party of tamers with those drakes to go hunt something together. They have pack instinct if not trained. Pity they loose it with training. So this drakes are more a vanity pet for me.

And you broke my hope to one day find and tame 4 slot Shadow. Damn, I killed so many of them searching for that 4-slotter.
Pack Instincts only function for the same Tamer. If one Tamer has a Stygian Drake, and another Tamer also has a Stygian Drake, even if the Stygian Drakes are attacking the same target, they don't benefit from Pack Instincts. Since Stygian Drakes start as 4 slots, and there are no 1 slot Drakes with Pack Instinct, the Pack Instinct on a Stygian Drake is completely useless.

4 Slot Shadow Wyrms were only briefly possible on TC when Pub 97 was first being tested there. Shadow Wyrms would have their max Health halved upon tame, for 280-300 max Health, which made a 4 slot Shadow Wyrm possible. People complained about the very low Health though, and so they were allowed to retain full Health after tame, which made 4 slots impossible normally.
Then there was a period of time where you could stat-exploit a pet, and raise or lower it's HP/Stam/Mana. A few people were using the stat exploit to drop a Shadow Wyrm's health ridiculously low, which would change it to a 4 slot, then begin the slot level process, and use the stat exploit to bump it's health back up once it had been leveled. This is the only reason that there are some Shadow Wyrms with Chiv+AI on Atlantic.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Hmm, bad news for me then. I never tried that instinct, just had hope it is done on purpose and can be used.
Also as magery and mage mastery are so bugged, it is pity Ter Mur (and SA) has no useful pets at all.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A 4 slot dragon turtle hatchling, trained to 5, can be fun. Mostly what you do is give it stats, regens, and resists, and maybe a couple of low-end scrolls. However, most of them hatch as 5s.