• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

R.I.P, VvV

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say that for the first time in a while, PvP has been alot of fun and entertaining. I think the devs did a great job with the new system. I disagree with the total removal of factions, I mean, it wasn't hurting anything, but that was their decision and we have to live with it. I digress so soon! Anyway, nice rewards, not too hard of a grind to obtain, lots of fighting, stealing, and in some cases all out murder! And all sanctioned by the dev team, wow! So much fun.

As of today, however, its all gone. Poof! Cities are empty. Sigils remain unstolen. I go to a city, I am all alone. No chaos, no poison fields and rising colossuses roaming the streets. Just me and my trusty ethereal beetle. And why is that, what could have caused this? There is no reward points any longer. Well, ok, there is 20 points (down from 400) that you earn from "winning" the battle. so, to obtain a top tier reward, you only have to occupy 500 towns!!! OK now we have the return of the grind!!! At a minimum of 5 min per towns, thats 2500 minutes for a banner! ALRIGHT NOW WE'RE TALKING! THAT is what i want to do with my UO time! *cheers*

Why did they do this to us? Because people were hiding in the towns by the bank? Well if you were doing that with say 5 accounts on my shard, and I picked you up on tracking, then you just scored me 5 kill points!! Fine with me. I mean, it really wasnt a big deal. So what if people were getting points sitting there? Find them, kill them; rinse, wash, repeat.

It baffles me that the devs would dedicate almost a YEAR to finish this system up, and do such a marvelous job, (my opinion) only to ruin it in 2 weeks. OF COURSE there were going to be people taking advantage of the reward points, this is UO, right? But really what harm were they doing? Now those of us who were really enjoying the fighting away from the yew gate for a change, are left holding a handful of silver points and no one to kill. Such a shame to destroy this once fine system. R.I.P., VvV

-Blitz of Catskills

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh perhaps they are in Doom since it is limited time, yeah the points killing was a BAD idea but, go kill them at doom :)

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thank god it's over - got old real fast

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't see many people on Chessy for one single day in the middle of the week and suddenly it's all doomed?

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"DOOM"D hehe. No i dont think it is in trouble because people are getting lanterns in Doom, I think it is going to be hurting because now they have turned VvV into yet another grind. Grind, grind, grind. Oh, and then after that, GRIND. Why not this: If you are actively stealing sigils and/or capturing altars, let the points accrue as before. If you are hidden, afk or whatever, and you do NOTHING, then, you get NOTHING. That would solve the problem and keep it going for a long while to come. Seems to make sense to me at least.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Changes to VvV were great... outside of silver points getting reduced. The sky is not falling and nothing in VvV is broken.

When changes hit there will always be some balance issues that have to be addressed. In this case they removed occupation silver, made sigils and altars equal, and lowered prices on some items. Through playing people are universally saying "Silver gains are now to slow" and they have to be modified" and I agree.

Buts its not a huge deal, just a simple fix of restoring Silver gains to "normal".

Lore's Player

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if VvV is dead, which it isn't so much on Atlantic.. It still gave an increase to PvP. Now people aren't stuck to a faction team and can fight w/ guilds instead. I enjoyed VvV, I never really cared about the rewards. Its a PvP system first, not a reward system. Being able to flag others without having to worry about them being in your "Faction" is to the benefit to me.

Nirot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally agree with Blitzkrieg. They spoiled VvV by changing the Silver grinding to this level.

I am a Trammelbee and i do not go often to Felucca. - But I liked here to play my little thief. - Even that i died often by PVPs.
But with changing the silver rewards to this level, its truely no fun anymore to work on that. And i stopped directly after i noticed how the Devs broke the system. :(

@DEVs: Please consider to change it back to the level before pub 87. - Otherwise VvV will be a still born child like Refinement.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re-Posted from a similar thread in the VvV Forum that should put everyone's mind at ease.

Admittedly, we did misstep in the most recent change to how match points were awarded thusly effecting how silver points were awarded. Prior to removing the gain of silver points for occupation, an uncontested occupation would net approximately 400 silver points, assuming no other methods of match points were awarded ala sigils, altars, or kills. Now that occupation points only count towards winning the match, we did not redistribute the expected silver gained from occupation into the other VvV scoring opportunities. We ran through a variety of tweaks to these scoring dials today and hope to balance this out soon as we can. Thanks again for the feedback!
Maybe I'm butt kissing to much lately but I am super impressed with how the Dev's (Kryonix) is implementing the VvV system. Started with a great concept top to bottom. Let it hit test, tweaked it, let it play out on Origin, tweaked it, let it play out on the rest of the production shards and has continued to incorporate player feedback to adjust it.

Kudos to the players as well. I know sometimes things change and we don't always embrace it and sometimes our ideas on how things "should" be, do not end up the way they are....

Yet even in those cases I see players doing a fantastic job of not just giving feedback but constructive feedback. Much less of the "This is terrible I am closing my X accounts type stuff".

With this type of collaborative approach I am very excited both for the future of VvV and even more surprisingly the future of UO.

This ends my butt kissing post,

-Lore's Player

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go check Doom, it is a limited time Event so, chances are that most UO players are spending most of their time there rather than VvVing.....

When the Doom thing will be over VvV will come back, supposedly..........

Nirot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@popps: This has nothing to do with doom. Just when the doom event finishes more People will moan about that bloody change. Keep the doom event out of this discussion about the rewards.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i couldnt give a jack **** about vvv...but if they have cut the points after a week of high points then that is ludicrous...what do we have a test shard for ??? then a second prod test shard.....wtf....

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re-Posted from a similar thread in the VvV Forum that should put everyone's mind at ease.

Maybe I'm butt kissing to much lately but I am super impressed with how the Dev's (Kryonix) is implementing the VvV system. Started with a great concept top to bottom. Let it hit test, tweaked it, let it play out on Origin, tweaked it, let it play out on the rest of the production shards and has continued to incorporate player feedback to adjust it.

Kudos to the players as well. I know sometimes things change and we don't always embrace it and sometimes our ideas on how things "should" be, do not end up the way they are....

Yet even in those cases I see players doing a fantastic job of not just giving feedback but constructive feedback. Much less of the "This is terrible I am closing my X accounts type stuff".

With this type of collaborative approach I am very excited both for the future of VvV and even more surprisingly the future of UO.

This ends my butt kissing post,

-Lore's Player
Quoted, because...Yes! And thanks to @Kyronix for putting some of his attention in this direction. :party:
Okay, now I'm done kissing tuckus also. :pie:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree , hey @Kyronix put back the normal occupying gain of silver points or put a reward of 200 silver to each winner of the 'town battle'' or something cause now VvV battles are ghosts and worthless

Glenny glenn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well from what its sounding like with reduction of points was in error and the occupation silver will be distributed to other activities such as killing people. Good news is VvV will be worth playing again after they tweak it

Robin_of_Moxy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As of today, however, its all gone. Poof! Cities are empty. Sigils remain unstolen. I go to a city, I am all alone. No chaos, no poison fields and rising colossuses roaming the streets. Just me and my trusty ethereal beetle. And why is that, what could have caused this? There is no reward points any longer. Well, ok, there is 20 points (down from 400) that you earn from "winning" the battle. so, to obtain a top tier reward, you only have to occupy 500 towns!!! OK now we have the return of the grind!!! At a minimum of 5 min per towns, thats 2500 minutes for a banner! ALRIGHT NOW WE'RE TALKING! THAT is what i want to do with my UO time! *cheers*

-Blitz of Catskills[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I was having alot of fun. The rewards you could win brought people out to fight at all hours of the day. As it stands now getting 20-40 points when unoccupied and maybe 120 when your fighting others has ruined the system. The Devs designed a great system! Then they nerfed it and destroyed the appeal! I played 5 games today opposed and earned maybe 500 points taking an hour and 40 mins. At that rate I would have to play 33 hours of games when the city is unoccupied to earn just one banner. Most games now seem to be unopposed due to the new changes. That means a 20 to 40 points per game at 5 mins I would have to play 20-40 hours to earn just a single reward! Man I hope the devs are reading this! The gme of VvV is now broken. None in my guild even want to play it anymore. PLEASE FIX IT!

Robin_of_Moxy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Go check Doom, it is a limited time Event so, chances are that most UO players are spending most of their time there rather than VvVing.....

When the Doom thing will be over VvV will come back, supposedly..........
Doom has nothing to do with it.. It is having to play 30 to 40 hours to earn a single reward. THe system has been destroyed

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love VvV too man but refuse to even do it now because of the hiding and stealth skills. Until they make a serious attempt to get rid of people who only play templates with hiding im pretty much done. They need to either make it so that the hiding skill, smoke bombs, giant turkey feathers, invis pots are unusable in VvV regions or change the delay timers while in the regions or even make players who are in VvV regions 100% trackable from any distance. I understand that by changing all of the above that more trammel players will stop doing VvV tho so its a catch 22.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ill be doing vvv again after id had my fill of the doom stuff. i dont even care about the points, just need enough to buy pots. its mainly just nice cause you dont have to go red.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ill be doing vvv again after id had my fill of the doom stuff. i dont even care about the points, just need enough to buy pots. its mainly just nice cause you dont have to go red.
It can be really fun with how they have it set up red or blue. The one thing that takes from VvV the most tho is people who hide. I personally do it for the pvp and dont believe theres any value in the items. When I'm fighting against people who are scared to fight me tho who stay on stealthers I just roll my eyes alot until I log onto another game.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i cant help but see all of the "it was really fun while i was trying to get town banners, but now its empty" posts and wonder.. what did you think might happen? if you are doing VvV for the abnners, and you get the banners, is that system then done for you?

Having this system hand out collectible deco is a weird one.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep theres alot of people that only pvp when u get items bro. That is likely what is going on too. Right now Doom outweighs VvV

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love VvV too man but refuse to even do it now because of the hiding and stealth skills. Until they make a serious attempt to get rid of people who only play templates with hiding im pretty much done. They need to either make it so that the hiding skill, smoke bombs, giant turkey feathers, invis pots are unusable in VvV regions or change the delay timers while in the regions or even make players who are in VvV regions 100% trackable from any distance. I understand that by changing all of the above that more trammel players will stop doing VvV tho so its a catch 22.
Ironically I think thieves are not playing as much because many feel the changes to hiding and stealthing were to drastic (no longer count towards occupation while hidden, mana spike reveals entire area for 1 min, etc) and on the flipside people think stealthers still have it to easy.

Personally I think its a good balance. It now takes more skill to be effective in VvV as a stealther and it still requires some effort for the standard pvper to hunt down and kill a stealther.

-Lore's Player

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep theres alot of people that only pvp when u get items bro. That is likely what is going on too. Right now Doom outweighs VvV

Personally, I think that a PvP system which tries to attract players just with items is bound to fail.

It is not possible to keep adding items over items over items, endlessly. It's too much work to keep following up and since the items cannot be unbalancing ones in fights, they would need to just be deco.

But adding deco items over and over and over and over some more, eventually will have so many of them around that their value or desire to have would be flooded by their number.
Pretty much what is happening with EM Events items which were high value initially, when they were not many, but which are now so many but so many, that they are no longer as desirable as they were.

So, pairing up a PvP system with items I do not see it as good for the player-player fighting. The reason to PvP should be in other things, like a title for example, which goes up with more kills, but also goes down with more deaths.....

The prowness in PvP should be showed by someone's title, not through getting items, IMHO, and PvP titles should be the one incentive in PvPing for those who want challenge through fighting other players in their game playing.
Of course, it would need to be well-thought out and implemented to avoid abuse (like players letting their friends kill them a go-go or having a second account to let one's own other account characters get killed a go-go just to earn PvP titles, easy....)

Titles, I think, can keep PvPers interested in fighting other players to work up their titles, longer and with much less developers' work as that of needing to add items over items over items as prizes, endlessly, to keep players interested in PvP ......

That's at least as I see it.