• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Quick Question on Legends history

U

UOKaiser

Is this the same shard that was called I beleive aol legends?. The shard was only accessible to aol members I think it was so long ago. If so do anybody remmember how long it stood that way? Or is my memory fading me and am confusing things?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it was (long before I showed up) - and still shows up in some lists (eg: uo.com guilds page)

(I don't know when it opened - there are some folk around from the ye olden days who may be able to help)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AOL Legends was born in the spring of 2001 after the destruction of Legends of Kesmai, and you're not confused. The shard was created by OSI for the people of Kesmai, which was only available to AOL customers and on GameStorm. To be honest, I don't recall how long it remained a 'closed' shard, but I do remember a lot of hollering about it when it opened to everyone.... I'm thinking that we only had to ourselves for about a year.

A

Annienox

Well.....I got with Lethal Injection in 2000 and we were playin in Baja and I think we took our break in like 2002 but we had moved to AOLegends by then. At that point we had to get some sort of AOL something or other but didnt have to go thru AOL server (or prices thank god!). Thats about as close as I can come for ya.

U

UOKaiser

Great. I remmember I had a old account somewhere on aol legends when it opened. As I had aol back then it seemed logical. Chances that the account has being wiped or even if I remmeber my old info are very high. I used to play on this shard then for a little time before it was available to everyone

I wonder if I have true rares or aol legend history items on that account probably will never know. But it was a nice little shard back then kinda felt special that only a specific group of people where allowed even though im not proud being part of the aol wall garden back then argg :). Not sure how things changed afterwards but brings back memories.

Anybody knows what was the reason Aol legends became Legends and available for everyone? I can assume many things but was there a official reason? When it happen was there a exodus from the shard or large immigration to it?

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it was because Origin only had an agreement with AOL for so long. Im sure it also had something to do with Origin going belly up and being gobbeld up by EA...And exclusive shard for AOL members didnt make to much sence I guess. But I was there the week it opened...Those were probably the best UO days I had since I started in late 99.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you remember the email attached to your account, the credit card attached to it, the account name, anything like that, might be worth the call to EA just to see if anything is left

L

Lord Urza

I played for a year when the shard was still AOL Legends, on my first UO account. I was pretty young, a freshmen or younger. I only had one character named "Urza" He was a dexxer.
I remember there were EM events with EMs playing characters such as Lord British, Lord Blackthorn. I spent 99% of my time in britania, or in the outlying areas......expecially the graveyard, Where im pretty sure a lich spawned on a timer or something.
As far as I know I was the first person i know personally to play an MMO because of getting into ultima way back then.
Being so young and not having an income i had to let the account close as my parents werent willing to pay for it.
Some of my fondest memorys as far as gaming goes.

some months before starting I read an ad for UO that said something like " Be a knight, Be a murderer, the choice is yours" not literly what it said...but that was the jist. I was like OMG! And soon after ordered a free uo disk.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, it's like Dev said :)

I created my "aol olita" character here the first day of shard creation. Was taking a breal from laggy overpopulated LS shard and as a lark, made a tribe of Amazons here! Never went back - except to import some chars & wares & rares:)

The reason it became "open" is pragmatic economics, which I am all in favor of - it keeps UO's electricity bills paid:) The shard was too small to stay open as long as it was exclusive to aol members only ...

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was a great time with alot of great folks. I miss alot of them greatly :sad3: And then there are some, not so much lol ;)

U

UOKaiser

Thank you all. Sure brought back some memories in this shard for me. I'll see if maybe one day I can get some of the old info used to open that account. I know one thing for certain it was a aol email address :) Though I have my main shards now... I will keep this shard in my thoughts and the close community it once had during the special years.

S

Sorna

I think it was aol legends for about 2 yrs when we lost our exclusivity.