• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions from a veteran newb

MadSeven

Visitor
Hi All,

After attending two meetings at Brit Bank and being received warmly, I still have dozens of questions...some no doubt I can google, some are opinion and "gut feeling" questions. Please reply if you have info or an opinion!
.I will expand over the next week's to compile A Returning Veteran Newb Compendium....

Is Europa still active enough?
Not sure. I have checked Atlantic as well, which is rumoured to be most active. The difference seemed small.

Can I get a house right away?
Yes, plenty of space. If you have a few 100k gold, you are set.

Are my old templates still OK?
Not so much. Your 110 Provo needs 120, your mage might need to drop eval for ...another skill...

Where is my gold?
What was in bank is still in bank, but no longer as checks. Check the balance total though.

Are my runes still good?
Some are OK, some will be blocked. Mining has changed a lot, I will test those books next week.

Can I handle the same monsters?
Probably not. Your macros are gone, you have aged and they are stronger.

Are the lands the same?
No, there are more. I have not seen them yet.

New Questions;
Can crafters make money? How?

Do vendors still sell?? What should I craft for them?

Do I need imbuing as a skill?

What is brittle, antique?

What happened to valorite armors? Do mages still wear leather? Studded?

How do I resort my bags in enhanced client? The classic client window is too small..

EC or CC+assist? What about the tiny game window?

How can I have my stuff (armor, rares, collectibles) appraised?

Keep or 18x18?

What does a UO day look like? I used to mine or gather leather, craft and then go Doom or Harrower. I don't know where to start now....my chars and gear are outdated, do I start mining and see from there?

That's all for today; I'll be back with more :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hi All,

Is Europa still active enough? Not sure, I play Atlantic, but think Europa is still fairly active. Atl is the most active as far as I know.

Can I get a house right away? On Europa most likely.

Are my old templates still OK? Depends on how long you have been gone really. Should be ok but may need some tweaking due to just being out of date.

Where is my gold?
What was in bank is still in bank, but no longer as checks. Check the balance total though.

Are my runes still good?
Some are OK, some will be blocked. Mining has changed a lot, I will test those books next week. Last I knew mining spots were all random. No more dedicated Gold or Val spots etc. Same goes for lumberjacking.

A blanket no on this one. Most old dungeon critters got a revamp are are powerful.

Are the lands the same?
Nah, lots of changes.

New Questions;
Can crafters make money? How? Yes. As always high end armor and some can make money with peerless keys etc.

Do vendors still sell?? What should I craft for them? To start with I would do exceptional dragon barding deeds (sampires tear through them), bone machettes.

Do I need imbuing as a skill? imo yepp. Mandatory.

What is brittle, antique? As far as I know it causes durability to wear out faster.

What happened to valorite armors? Do mages still wear leather? Studded? Went the way of the Dodo bird... yeeah, mages still typically wear leather. Studded gives a LMC boost but from what I hear is still not a good option for mages.

How do I resort my bags in enhanced client? The classic client window is too small.. imo? Use the CC.. EC sux. lol (get used to those debates ;) )

EC or CC+assist? What about the tiny game window? See above :) Opinions vary GREATLY and folks are VERY passionate about it on both sides.. political debates in RL have absolutely nothing on EC/CC debates around here lol

How can I have my stuff (armor, rares, collectibles) appraised? Find a bored vet and ask them to come take a look at them.

Keep or 18x18? 18x18. Personal choice though. I don't like premade floor plans.

What does a UO day look like? I used to mine or gather leather, craft and then go Doom or Harrower. I don't know where to start now....my chars and gear are outdated, do I start mining and see from there? Basic day? Get a focus, key and kill Lady Mel, try so sell some stuff in Gen Chat, give up because the kiddies are pvp trash talking in Gen Chat too much, go key Trav, kill Trav, try to sell some stuff in Gen Chat... once again give up because the kiddies are doing too much pvp trash talking in Gen Chat for anyone to see anything else.... petition Devs with a stratics message to block folks from talking in Gen Chat while they are in stat.. lol..

Seriously though, the sandbox is still the sandbox.. I hate to sound like a cliche' but the possibilities are still endless :) WB and Have Fun!!

That's all for today; I'll be back with more :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes! the meet at the bank should show that.

Can I get a house right away?
Yes, but probably not a castle :D.

Where is my gold?
Money – Ultima Online

Are my runes still good?

some, yes, others no. Some dungeons have been re-vamped

Are the lands the same?
World – Ultima Online

New Questions;
Can crafters make money? How?
Yes, visit RAA guild shop to see how. Teleporter to there available from Europa New Player House which is on the river bank one screen south of Trinsic moonate

Do vendors still sell?? What should I craft for them?

Yes, see answer above, also Vendor search means the location is far less important than it once was.

I would recommend it if you plan to craft armour weapons

What is brittle, antique?
Magic Item Properties – Ultima Online

What happened to valorite armors? Do mages still wear leather? Studded?

How do I resort my bags in enhanced client? The classic client window is too small..
Technical – Ultima Online

I use EC - without Pinco's UI. I like it, other's don't. Personal choice.

How can I have my stuff (armor, rares, collectibles) appraised?

Keep or 18x18?

What does a UO day look like? I used to mine or gather leather, craft and then go Doom or Harrower. I don't know where to start now....my chars and gear are outdated, do I start mining and see from there?

For resources, both buying and selling the New Magincia Bazaar might interest you

I've provided several links to the new UO wiki, I would suggest you explore those, and other pages in the same categories.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO day: Depends on my mood tbh. Usually starts with checking my aquarium. Most of the rewards go for cleanup points, but I do get MIBs sometimes.
Next thing is stocking my pet stall. This is a daily job since it sells things like giant beetles, fire beetles, swamp dragons etc.
Today I'm digging treasure maps. Sometimes my other characters are getting the maps instead. My tamer's dragon turtle likes the taste of Labyrinth scorpion particularly.
Sometimes if it's quiet my archer will tackle a champ spawn somewhere. Lately my bard has been working the shadowguard rooms and with the help of my swordswoman, the Eodon quests.
Saturday the bard did some town trader quests and the archer went to shoot mages in Blackthorn's dungeon. Yesterday my lumberjack was chopping trees in Ter Mur, collecting wood to make arrow shafts and hoping for crystal fragments. My UO days are busy, busy

Last edited:

MadSeven

Visitor
New question; my returning provo-mage has 630 points allocated, yet I am sure he was capped when I left. Was a skill removed?
I came back to;
Inscript, Eval, Magery, Med, Music, Provo.

MadSeven

Visitor
"Can I get a house right away?
Yes, but probably not a castle :D."

Why not? :) No Room to place? Money?
I remember your name btw...

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keeps are fairly easy to find room for if you have the patience. Just have a wander around. Castles crop up once in a while but mostly there is no room for a new placement (unless you get really lucky).
Welcome back

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes mostly because castles have always been what everyone wants so spots are still at a premium. It is still just possible to find a spot if you are exceptionally lucky but don't hold your breath. Plus of course Castles are not placeable in Malas and other places so the possible areas are restricted.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
New question; my returning provo-mage has 630 points allocated, yet I am sure he was capped when I left. Was a skill removed?
I came back to;
Inscript, Eval, Magery, Med, Music, Provo.
Nothing's really been removed since Enticement became Discordance - did you put anything on a soulstone before you left last time?

MadSeven

Visitor
Nothing's really been removed since Enticement became Discordance - did you put anything on a soulstone before you left last time?
very odd....well, it gives me some points to play with :)
Where to go from here? Provo, Mage and music to 120?

Insc 100
Eval 110
Magery 111.6
Med 103.8
Music 100
Provo 100

MadSeven

Visitor
Yes mostly because castles have always been what everyone wants so spots are still at a premium. It is still just possible to find a spot if you are exceptionally lucky but don't hold your breath. Plus of course Castles are not placeable in Malas and other places so the possible areas are restricted.
too tempting now....must...find....:D

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC the only allowed add on is UO Assist, for EC custom ui's are allowed, at first several people tried to make them, but they all were outdone by Pinco so most people using a custom UI use his. There's a thread on what his can do in the Enhanced Client forum.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We feel, yes. The moments we do get to log in we keep bumping into others, whether we get a daily gain in the Wind mountains on Solen Infiltrators, visit a Mini-Champ in the Stygian Abyss, or just hang around in Delucia. And although we have never been there ourselves, we assume many people will go to the new lands as well?

Are my old templates still OK?
Agree Provo needs 120, as well as 120 Music or it won't be very useful at all. Add to that, that provo'd monsters break out of it when hitting it yourself now, so it has become less useful for our Provo-Fencer. As a mage you won't have that problem we think.
your mage might need to drop eval for ...another skill...
Dropping Eval feels like clipping your mages wings, it is vital for the efficiency of most spells.

Are my runes still good?
Some are OK, some will be blocked. Mining has changed a lot, I will test those books next week.
Mining randomnization means spots can be Iron one moment, and 20 mins later it could be Valorite (or any other color of course). But the spots can also remain the same for weeks, it indeed seems completely random. So runes for mining make no sense anymore. We hated the randomnization when that came out (ruining our handdrawn area maps!), but are used to it now, having resigned to the fact lol.

Would say mostly yes, but some dungeons have very different monsters now, some very powerful. Would also recommend to try out the new Despise (with someone else), we found it a lot of fun. Read more about that at:
Despise Dungeon Re-vamp – A Guided Tour - Old Stratics

Seems rather important if you don't want to depend on others, but loot you find could outdo anything you can imbue. Rare finds, but can be a lot better then.

Also avid fans of CC here, never noticed the window is small tbh? Guess it depends on what one is used to?

Keep or 18x18?
Keep has more lockdowns, but an impractical layout. If you enjoy deco-ing we'd say 18x18, but if you are a pack-rat like us, has to be Keep hehe.

What does a UO day look like?
We wish we still had UO days... An hour here or there is more like the current reality sadly. Sometimes we felt UO was 90% sorting and 10% playing, but that is partly due to our packrat mentality heh. Our activities are too various to mention really, our wishlist is sooooo long! But if we have to pick one thing we would mention the mini-Champs in the Abyss, we did those quite a lot.
And a big welcome back from us as well!

MadSeven

Visitor
Thanks Tabby and thanks Petra :)

New question; my tailor would use a runic kit to craft a piece of armor out of horned or barbed to create something "cool". Now, that has all changed. Can someone give me a recap? I don't see yet how reforging, imbueing and runic kits go together in the new setup, but apparently I cannot simply craft an armor piece with a runic kit anymore?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can still craft with runic kits, they still produce the same kind of items as they always did.
Runic kits can also be used by a character with imbuing skill to reforge items that have properties not otherwise possible
Personally I like imbuing, it may not be as powerful, but you have more control over exactly what properties the finished piece will have.

It is possible to combine the two by reforging with a low-mid hammer/kit and then imbue up to the item weight limit.

MadSeven

Visitor
Hi Petra,

I dont understand; when I try to craft a leather tunic, with a runic kit, it tells me I cannot reimbue, it will revert to "classical reforge" then nothing happens....I must be missing something....:-( I will post a screenie later...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make sure you are not standing near a soulforge.
You should then get the message 'You must be near a Soul Forge to re-forge items. Using standard Runic Crafting instead.'

Which is exactly what you want to do, use standard runic crafting.

Last edited:

MadSeven

Visitor
no luck....using the runic kit, standing nowhere hear a soulforge. It brings up the dialog, I select what I want to make, then it tells me I have NO tailoring tools. If I add a normal tailor tool to my backpack, it uses that instead of the runic it...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very strange. I was able to use a runic kit no problem. I'm stumped I'm afraid.

MadSeven

Visitor
maybe I forgot something else. I have a runic kit (spined), using normal leather OR horned leather, trying to craft a leather chest OR Gargoyle chest. My tailor is at 103 or so. I am far from the soulforge. Anyone see the problem?

MadSeven

Visitor
Is this correct? "I was under the mistaken impression that you still needed to be able to cast a spell in order to make the spell scroll using the Inscription skill. It is my understanding that this is no longer the case; you simply need the spell in your spellbook and sufficient Inscription skill to make the desired scroll. "

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is correct, you need the spell to copy and sufficient inscription skill, however you do need to have Magery if you want to write spell books with properties. Likewise to write Necromancy books with properties you need Necromancy skill and Mysticism books need Mysticism skill.

Inscription as a skill has developed considerably in the number of items it can produce.
take a look here: Inscription – Ultima Online and here: Inscription Craftables – Ultima Online

MadSeven

Visitor
wow....ok, I can soulstone my inscript then and move it of my main....yay :)
With magery/med/eval/music/provo left on him, I need a new future ;-) Hm...what to take...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, you could soulstone inscription - but if you do you'll lose the sdi bonus and casting focus you get from it. (the section of the inscription page headed 'Inscriptionn in Battle')

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
My advise if you want to make cash quickly and start enjoying the game and the high end items, Its to make a Sampire, a Tamer, A Mystic/Spellwever and a Crafter,
You can mostly kill anything you need with them builds, plus make money on the side crafting stuff.
Sampire will allow you to solo most champs and bosses, the tamer is just a tank for hard hitting monsters and the mystic/spellweaver for your mage skills, The spellweave will give you word of death, so you can do 600+ DMG if you all 120s and have nice SDI on the suit. The Mystic will gove you nice summon like the collosus which can hit hard and tank a little too.
Scribe mages/Poison mages/Alchy mages are now more of a PVP template than a practical PVM template, as Mysticism and Spellweaving have made it a bit outdated.
Dont know much about necromancers, I have one fully trained but rarely use it, dont find where it is beneficial for me.

As someone mentioned before, if you want cash flow and quick, Dragon barding deeds and Bone machetes are big sellers and always people need them.

Reason why the ores are random now was to stop scripters making huge amounts of cash by just having scripts mine all day long for a specific ore, leaving no places for other people to mine in.
But if you are after gold ore, which is a nice ore as people want it, only place I can think where it will only be gold ore, is killing the elementals in Blackthorns dungeon, apart from that you will also get blackrock which is very useful for making keys and other stuff.

Personally If I was you, Id get a veteran player and redo all your chars to modern templates which work in game, some will say it will make you lose the essense of the game as some templates are just very powerfull and make farming/champing very easy, which can lead to you getting bored unless you are after drops which will keep you busy then.
You will be able to handle some monsters, but some you thought were weak when you left will just kill you in a couple hits now

Castle spots are rare to find as people still hunt for them to sell em, you can find them from aywhere 50-300m depending on the person, also if you nice to certain people they migt give u one for free, seen it done many times. But if you can be holding items, try to go for a max capacity house 18x18, 17x18 and such, in the long run it will help.

For yor client choice, go for EC standard or EC with Pinco UI, its 2016, not the year 2000, times change and so does technology, very big discussion here with many people but my opinion is EC alll the way, woudlnt go back to CC even if they paid me.

Imbue skill very needed, make sure you do it on a Garg char for extra power in the imbues

Hope it helps

MadSeven

Visitor
Thanks for taking the time to write all that!
I will indeed rebuilt my toons, but there are quite a few that need.....guidance :)
It will help me write down what I am doing, to see what I am doing, there is too much new stuff! I made some mistakes (imbue on humanoid) and had some oddities (my main woke up missing 100 skill points), but....there is progress :)
Starting at ...the start ...I list the skills in a line, because this post would take 5 pages if I didnt :)

MadSeven (cap 720), my allround ProvoMage, used (in the past) to make runebooks, spellbooks, and farm at Destard ;

Magery 115 / Eval 110 / Med 105 / Music 100 / Provo 115 / Inscr 100
Will be;
Magery 115 / Eval 110 / Med 100 / Music 100 / Provo 120 / Inscr 100 / SpellW 75 ??

Glen Morangie (cap 720), out of a job currently :)
Anat 110 / Fence 115 / Focus 85 / Heal 95 / Parry 110 / Tac 115 / Chiv 95

Pain (cap 720), used to be a Doom Archer type
Anat 115 / Archer 120 / Heal 100 / Tac 115 / Med 90 / Hide 100 / Chiv 80

Dark Fibre (cap 720), unemployed
Focus 40 / Swords 90 / Eval Int 110 / Mage 110 / Resist 87 / Med 62 / Necro 110 / SS 110

Vouis (cap 720), new char, the only Garg. Must be imbuer. Probably;
120 Magery / 120 Eval / 120 Med / 120 Mysticism / 120 Imbuing / ???

Emat; PeaceTamer, retraining to Peace 120

AnLore 100 / Tame 110 / Vet 100 / Focus 90 / Mage 100 / Music 100 / Peace 120

Lindsey (unemployed, ex's toon), another archer.
Anat 110 / Archer 115 / Focus 100 / Heal 80 / Tac 115 / Chiv 80 / Magery 15 (??) / Hide 95

AnimalUpdate (another Peacetamer, my ex's);

Focus 100 / Mage 95 / AnLore 120 / Tame 110 / Vet 100 / Music 100 / Peace 100

Livingstone , outdated t-hunter?

Focus 30 / Carto 100 / Mage 103 / Med 101 / Hide 95 / Lockpick 100 / Music 102 / Provo 82

Joshua, good toon, but currently out of a job
Anat 120 / Focus 70 / Heal 96 / Parry 120 / Swords 115 / Tac 120 / Chiv 74

One of the warriors should be rebuilt to Sampire I suppose, but not sure which one, and which template...(shoot!). I don't PvP really. Farming for drops is more my thing.

As for crafters; I have GM's tailor, tinker, fishing, mining, carpenters, fletchers, cooks, but no idea what to make yet. I'd happily stock some vendors with furni, deco and such, but also aim for higher end crafted gear. Still struggling with that bit. I suppose I will make dragon barding (woot??? really??)

Question; is it preferable to 1) create a mystic/mage/imbuer Gargoyle and use my current 120bs/tailor crafters to make the basic stock or 2) make the Gargoyle also a 120 bs/tailor? Pro's and cons? I understand I will need to craft with CharA then reimbue with CharB....but is that a problem?

As for housing; I went back to my last spot at the road between Luna and Umbra and put down 18x18s. It's quiet, very quiet. If anyone wants to visit, it's next to the inn... I also put down a 8x9 or something in Luna for vendors, coming later..

Pft...sorry for the long post, but I am a bit lost. I also like hunting together, but ...well...let's say I am looking for buddies ;-)

Last edited:

MadSeven

Visitor
No, sorry, I deleted that years ago...I am curious how difficult it is to run without pots, I hate using em ;-)