• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on different taming methods

Coals McSteel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As I understand it

Paralyze = Bad
Disco = OK
Honor = Great

Question is. Why exactly does Disco help you tame and is it worth the effort?

Lexx Merlin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a disco tamer, but I only use disco for killing other monsters with my pet. I strictly honor tame all my GD's. It's the easiest way in my opinion.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco is basically going to reduce the skills of the creature you target with it. So when you're taming something and it's pelting you with spells and melee damage, the discordance is going to leave that beastie with less skill to use against you. It basically means the beast won't hurt you quite as much.

I mostly just lead tame, no honor or anything else. Beat the creature down to a sliver of health and then tame when it's slow and doing a bit less damage. Then try to invis myself as much as possible while I'm taming. The problem that arose with this tactic more recently came when creatures started healing themselves up again. Where you could beat a dragon up and it was going to stay low in health for a few minutes, now it's usually healing as you fight it. So in that situation you might want to use disco to pull a greater dragon down a bit before you tame it. But I wouldn't put disco on a template just to tame creatures easily, because you really can tame anything with just a straight lead tame. It's just something you can do if you happen to have a tamer bard at your disposal when you're taming a greater dragon.

The reason I added disco to my tamer was for PvM when I was wanting to hunt larger game with my smaller pets. I rarely use a greater dragon so disco helps me take on creatures that are quite strong for my smaller pets to handle. It does help you as a tamer as I explained above, and you can disco a pet while you're training some skills so they train more quickly. The obvious one being discording a cu sidhe so you can finish training the healing by simply casting on the pup while it's in disco. Rather than spending an unhealthy period of time among rotting corpses. So it has value for tamers specifically, but you need to consider its use in PvM as well as taming to see the real benefits of it.

I use disco along with provoke on a really cramped tamer template, so I have target and crowd control and a pet or two at my disposal. That's when I find it gets really crazy and fun, but a straight disco tamer is great to have too. But yeah, it's mostly about the PvM.

Wenchy

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The tamer I use to actually tame critters is a peace tamer. I just lead-tame like Wenchy said, and use peace if I need to get myself out of a jam. For cu sidhes, I spam my tame macro until I get an attempt off, and then walk a few steps ahead and invis. (FC helps here). That breaks the aggro, and I can wait out the attempt to see if it failed or succeeded. For greater dragons, I also lead tame, and use area peace to break the aggro when I need to bust ahead and get a heal off. For rune beetles, I use direct peace on them, and then tame them while they're calm (lead taming if they happen to break the peace while the tame attempt is in progress).

The tamers I fight with are disco or disco/provo tamers. Occasionally I will use my provo tamer to work greater dragons, but I still prefer to just lure them to a quiet spot and lead tame with peace. I've never bothered to use honor taming.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paralyze DOES NOT HURT as long as the pets your taming do NOT go above GM in any skill. I para tame cu's, because I can bang them out faster than hell, at no cost to stats/skills. I don't do that with hiyrus, or critters that can max skill above GM so I don't take a hit on their skills. For hiryus and rune beetles, I'll lead tame on my usual mage tamer reconfigured for hiding/stealth. For greater drags, I'll honor tame them. To each their own, lol, gotta love UO.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ethereal Voyage works very good as well.

I never thought about that. I know spell weaving is popular among tamers, I might have to give it a try. Does the dragon see you after you do a tame attempt?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, you can make it angry all you want... it's pretty sweet. Used in combination with Honor you can really sit there for a bit and try to tame.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never thought about that. I know spell weaving is popular among tamers, I might have to give it a try. Does the dragon see you after you do a tame attempt?

Pretty sure it is obvious, but it works with any pet that you can make angry or that will attack you.