• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about transporting gold when farming

W

Wilde1

Coming back to UO after a few yrs off (LS shard) and need to farm some gold to fund my re-startup. One change I noticed is that bags of sending can use multiple translocation powders per item sent, depending on what something weighs. When I last played, you could send a 10k pile of gold from your pack to the bank with one charge of powder. Some of my favorite spots to farm are in ilshenar, which stinks because you cant mark a spot in a dungeon and recall to the bank and back, which makes farming impractical. Even in more traditional spots, recalling to the bank and back means losing control of the pop in the dungeon (for me, I die most when getting it under control than when farming re-popped mobs).

The only solution Ive thought of so far is to get a blue beetle for every farming character (archer, peace tamer, prov bard) and storing the gold in the beetle so I can go longer between trips to the bank.

Anyone have any better ideas about how to get gold from the corpse to the bank?

N

Nenime

It is even worse when you go on Shank's pony trying to push your Greater Dragon through all the lesser spawn on your way to the spot.

Taking along a beetle is one option. Earn tons of translocation powder another - naa, forget that, I tried that - not very recommendable. The Virtue Dungeons are more frequented now because you can mark runes there and you get a chance of an Arti drop on top of that. But there are indeed not so many good locations especially not in the mid-range. Destard or deep Hythloth are still gold fountains though. Or you try places which are at least near a markable spot like Painted Caves or Fan Dancer Dojo. These two were among those which were camped by gold farmer bots recently - so they must be lucrative :p

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The blue beetle seems to be the best option if you plan on farming gold and don't want to run to the bank every 3 minutes. At least with the beetle you can sit on top of it and keep it safe until you need it. Personally, I just started shortening up my hunting trips. When I was close to my weight limit, I would head to the bank and make a deposit, then head on to another activity.

[Edit]
PS- if you're starting from scratch and want a change, come on over to cats. I can keep you in the gold if you don't mind gathering up feathers and hides. I'm always looking for suppliers for feathers, and I'm currently stocking up on hides in hopes of taking my tailor up to 120 soon.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Annnnnd, that's a good point on getting cash. I was the supplier (upon my return) to several tailors and fletchers. Even with casual play I was able to get 500K easy enough to plop down a custom plot.

With the latest round of bans, some resource sources may be affected, making resource gatherers pretty handy folks to have around.

W

Wilde1

Hey gang, thanks for the responses and ideas! A couple updates...

The giant beetle as gold storage doesn't work for my tamer, because I can't have a beetle and a rune beetle/dragon out at the same time (says it takes too many slots).

Also, I am not starting totally from scratch. I have a few mill in the bank from when I last played, and was lucky enough to be roaming for house spots right when a lg tower fell (literally within 15 minutes of my coming across it), so I placed a lg tower for 136k. Before I left, farming for me was paragons with the tamer and peerless mobs with the archer. Now I can add in the antivirtue dungeons (along with figuring out where this melissa character is hiding out, lol).

My original question was more about how to get gold back to the bank than how to make it in the first place. 10 blood eles and I'm full, which means more walking than farming. Would it be correct to infer people aren't keeping the gold when they farm, and are farming more for high end loot to sell on vendors? It would feel weird to leave the gold on the corpses.

At this point, I'm also wondering whether I need to make my prov bard my main farmer (the peace tamer is more fun to me tho) and give up on farming with my tamer. Any other ideas?

N

Nenime

Would it be correct to infer people aren't keeping the gold when they farm, and are farming more for high end loot to sell on vendors? It would feel weird to leave the gold on the corpses.
This is excatly what's happening in Champion- and Peerless Areas. Heaps of gold just lying around. The same thing in Melissa's place - but she's gone now, sorry.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm considering bringing my bags of sending out of retiremet - but only because I picked up (literally) thousands of Zoogi at a near-empty house fall that no one looted.

B

Banner

What the fork is {gold} farming? Am i missing out on makeing some quick gold and not even knowing about it?????

S

Salty Pete

What the fork is {gold} farming? Am i missing out on makeing some quick gold and not even knowing about it?????
You have to find the right kind of soil and seeds.... But yes, farming for gold is very lucrative.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But seriously...

"Gold Farming" is a type of hunting where bringing in the most gold possible for the time spent is the objective.

For example, if one can hold 16000 gold before having to stop to drop your gold, if it takes 12 minutes to get 16k gold, then 3 minutes to drop it off and return to your hunt site, you would average 64k gold per hour.

The same place, back before they nerfed the Bags of Sending (and toughened up some of the mobs), would have not needed the 3 minutes turn-around, only requiring a second to use the bag, and would have given out 80k an hour.

For example, one of the classic means of gold farming was Destard. On a good day, the above was about the return in Destard, prior to the BoS nerf and the introduction of the greater dragons. One would have also gotten about 84-105 scales, 96-120 gems and 240-330 barbed leather per trip, which would weigh as much as the gold, which is why many of the pre-greater-dragon Destard farmers would go in parties of two, one looting gold & gems, the other scales & hides (and this also gave flexibility in killing the drakes & wyverns for horned and a few extra scales as well). Without the greater dragons, this would have still been viable (the leather/scale gatherer could have used a giant beetle, friended to the other person, and that person would do bank runs while the other kept farming).

Other types of gold farming still in regular use (but severely hampered by the bag nerf, as the hunter can only stay 5-12 minutes before having to make a bank run, and many of the highest-gold places you can't recall to, only out of - if that) are killing blood elementals or balrons in the blood dungeon, Ice fiends in Ice, or troglodytes in the Painted Caves (with the last two favored by many of the illegal scripter types who can no longer advertise selling their gold for RL money on Stratics as if this week :) )

E

Eslake

Personally I don't have much use for gold. Some for insurance and regs for potions sure, but beyond that is excess. The few things I would buy all have the risk of being duped so I simply don't.

But when I'm hunting something specific.. a nice bokuto in Yamotsu or crystals in exodus, etc. I just pile the gold somewhere it won't be noticed.
Afterwards I come back with a blue beetle to haul it to the bank.

I think the change to Bags of sending was just poorly planned. They could have accomplished the same "fix" without destroying their usefulness by having them only work on the goods they intended them for in the first place.. Leather/hides woods and ingots.
Their 'fix' made them useless for 2 out of 3 of their intended uses.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the time i just leave my gold on the ground. When i'm done hunting we get the character with the blue beetle and pick up the gold with him.
I just hunt in places where very rarely anyone else comes. :)

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Wow this is crazy... I just started up a few months ago on a new shard. I can't believe people leave cash on the ground! I've been working so hard just to start building my coffers so I can buy power scrolls to build the characters. It's been sucking me dry. I've been doing Earth Elementals for the most part, but I need to find something that pays a little faster. Even with 90 strength, I'm filling my character's backpack every 15 minutes. So I'm only making about 40K gold an hour... and that is after looting what seems like billions of corpses. All those clicks make the hunting very tedious. I can only go about an hour straight before I have to take a break.

Are there good intermediate gold spots... something above Earth Elementals and less than the other ideas mentioned by Basara (like Blood Elementals and Balrons)? The Painted Caves may be what I'm seeking, but I've never set foot in there. My stats are a little better than what are shown below, but you can see the basic Samurai emerging.

-OBSIDIAN-

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like to go to Hytloth and kill Daemons or go to despise level 2 to fight Titans and Cyclopses.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obsidian, the Painted Caves may be your answer then.
You cannot recall out of there, but actually have to leave the cave first, but it is a small cave.

Grab a Soul Seeker or fast blade and go slow. The Trogs are generally in the first two cul-de-sac's upon entering. They drop about 400 gold, loot and bandies. Whirlwind if ya got it when more than one approach you. You can always walk out to heal if they overwhelm you at first.

Your biggest danger in there is Lurg or his little pet bear Grobu. They spawn at the back of the cave and venture forward if someone wanders back and gets targeted by them.

You may find that you can even take Grobu once he gets to the entrance. Whack away at him for awhile. If your health gets low step out of the cave, heal up and go back at him.

If Lurg should show up wait for another player or two and then tag team him, cross healing all the way.

If you have chiv Enemy of One works very well on the Trogs.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, Rachel. That was the info I was seeking. I didn't know I couldn't recall/sacred journey out of there. I will keep that in mind.

I heard Grobu gives you negative karma when you kill him. That scares me a little as chivalry is a key component of my character. Should I be concerned, or will killing the multitude of Trogs more than offset the negative karma from killing the bear.

I was also thinking about trying the Arctic Ogre Lord spawn in ice. I found a cheap Ice Slayer tailsman. I thought that might work out well if I could find an Ornate Axe with high fire damage. What do you think?

Again, my only goal at this point is carting out gold so I can buy power scrolls and build my character. I guess a Beetle would be helpful as I can load him up with gold and then ride him out via Sacred Journey.

-OBSIDIAN-

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm..not sure on the negative karma with killing Grobu.
I didn't notice a message the times I killed him, but I might have missed it too.
I will pay more attention next we dance.
But the Trogs will more than make up for it.
You can go all the way to Glorious Lord killing Trogs.

The Arctic Ogre Lords drop about 600ish for gold. And they spawn a bit slow.
The Trogs will spawn almost as fast as you can loot them. With a Repond Slayer you will slice your way through them easier than an Ogre Lord..Arctic or otherwise.
Outside the Painted Cave is safe as well. So you could park your beetle there and load him up instead of journeying back and forth to the bank. Course now that I say that a rogue Giant Serpent will build a nest there...lol

So if gold pieces and karma/fame are what your after these guys will take you there.