• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about Custom Content, bitmaps and copyrights.....

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have uploaded CC but everything I uploaded was of either my family or of a picture that I made myself. Someone did give me a picture of a flag with Mickey Mouse on it that she saw at a store and bought to give it to me as a gift since I have a growning displace for supporting our troops. <u>Looks like to be on the safe side I will have to get rid of that CC.</u>

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right - get rid of it.
As Dali pointed out, the chances that Disney would come after you for this are extremely remote, but even at one-in-a-million - there's still a chance.

G

If you read the copyright, technically, I can make 1,000,000 copies and use them all. Providing they are all for personal use.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

If you read the copyright, technically, I can make 1,000,000 copies and use them all. Providing they are all for personal use.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Personal use" as long as the material stays on your home computer. Uploading that material to a website, for viewing by others, or for use in custom content, falls outside the definition of "personal use."

In addition, if you do not own rights to the material, uploading them to EA is a breach of EA's user contract.

Don't believe me. Ask EA's legal department. Their contact posted on their website is:

Designated Agent to Receive Notifications of Claimed Copyright Infringement, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512(c):

Steve Bené, Esq.
VP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Electronic Arts Inc.
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
phone: 650-628-1500
fax: 650-628-1422
email: [email protected]

This agent is authorized to receive notifications sent to Electronic Arts Inc. and all of its subsidiaries and divisions, including but not limited to: Maxis, Origin, Westwood, EA.com, Pogo Corporation, Black Box Games and Electronic Arts Europe.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

"Personal use" as long as the material stays on your home computer. Uploading that material to a website, for viewing by others, or for use in custom content, falls outside the definition of "personal use."

In addition, if you do not own rights to the material, uploading them to EA is a breach of EA's user contract.

Don't believe me. Ask EA's legal department. Their contact posted on their website is:

Designated Agent to Receive Notifications of Claimed Copyright Infringement, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512(c):

Steve Bené, Esq.
VP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Electronic Arts Inc.
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
phone: 650-628-1500
fax: 650-628-1422
email: [email protected]

This agent is authorized to receive notifications sent to Electronic Arts Inc. and all of its subsidiaries and divisions, including but not limited to: Maxis, Origin, Westwood, EA.com, Pogo Corporation, Black Box Games and Electronic Arts Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

IDK where Ronin mentioned uploading as being personal use but you sure showed him he was wrong

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Then again, copyright stuff is easy to get around. You can copy and give something away all you want, you just can't make a profit off of it. So I could make 1500 dumbo's and give them out for free or even sell them for simoleans as long as said simoleans(in tc3 anyway)can't be turned into real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in the past decade in the USA, <u>commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies</u> and value over $2500 was made a felony. The good news is that you would at least have the protection of criminal law, whereas being prosecuted for copyright infringements for less than 10 copies and a value under $2500 would leave you in civil court, where you can, and will be, expected to testify against your own interests.

And, again, copyright infringement is not just when you make a profit. The owner of the copyright can say your use diminished his/her work, and put a pricetag on that damage when they sue you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in my post does it say uploading? Oh, and in my new post, it contradicts you 10 copies. My million is legal. Thnx

G

I own an internet radio station, and I do not pay royalties to RIAA as of yet. There is an issue right now, but it has been tabled since so many across the USA wrote their senators to vote this down. (there is still an on going petition too). So if a radio station is asking for donations to pay this cost Hummmmm. and its not for every record, its for every listener per song the RIAA is trying to pass a bill for. We do however pay a fee to our server provider for the rite to broadcast, legal fees (optional) and I am sure there is some kind of royality fee in it, but right now I as a owner don't pay the RIAA.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Where in my post does it say uploading? Oh, and in my new post, it contradicts you 10 copies. My million is legal. Thnx

[/ QUOTE ]

Mucho apologies. I was being an ignorant jerk. I mistakenly thought this thread was discussing copyright infringement as it related to custom content in TSO/EA Land. My bad.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Mucho apologies. I was being an ignorant jerk. I mistakenly thought this thread was discussing copyright infringement as it related to custom content in TSO/EA Land. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to discuss a general topic when you quote someone.

<blockquote><hr>

I own an internet radio station, and I do not pay royalties to RIAA as of yet. There is an issue right now, but it has been tabled since so many across the USA wrote their senators to vote this down. (there is still an on going petition too). So if a radio station is asking for donations to pay this cost Hummmmm. and its not for every record, its for every listener per song the RIAA is trying to pass a bill for. We do however pay a fee to our server provider for the rite to broadcast, legal fees (optional) and I am sure there is some kind of royality fee in it, but right now I as a owner don't pay the RIAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. However you broadcasting copyrighted songs to multiple listeners throughout any country is not personal use. Dali can back me up on this.

G

Sorry, the 2 sided point I should have made is first the post that said we paid RIAA is wrong, at the moment we do not pay RIAA (although its only been tabled for the time being). The second point is, even though I bought all my cd's, therefore I own them but, the RIAA is still trying to get royalties just because I allow people to listen to my songs by putting them on the station. (and there is no profit to me nor charge to others for that) just the gift of music. So I guess even though we don't sell music nor charge others to listen, its still in debate of the law.. I guess buying the cd RIAA is saying don't give the right to play it free for others to listen to and enjoy. So I would guess the same rule goes for copyright items (even if your not charging for them)

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If your post is not relative to the context of the thread.... what's the point?
You want everyone to know that you can DL a million copies of War &amp; Peace for your own personal use, just because you may want to???
Okay - fine. Go ahead, knock yerself out.
But, if or when you find yourself reading page 867 for the 345,868th time, and your mind drifts to thots of uploading for other people's use, just remember what was said about that, ok?