• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS QA about to begin

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Storm perhaps you can give Bonnie the questions and requests that didint get asked so perhaps when she puts out a producers letter next time she can adress them.. or perhaps a answer through Petra.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Storm perhaps you can give Bonnie the questions and requests that didint get asked so perhaps when she puts out a producers letter next time she can adress them.. or perhaps a answer through Petra.
we are going to work on something..maybe these will be added to questions sent in ? I will get with petra ...this Is why the thread was locked so we can preserve it!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
is anyone going to sum up what was said. i saw the Q&A but missed the first part
this is going to take a few days we have to get a copy of the live feed first and then we are going to get it transcribed...or at least what is audible ..Thanks Tia;-)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I will be copying all the questions down and handing over to petra to send in..

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont need a transcription, just a quick gloss over the high points. i heard the part about the castle grass being able to be customized and the land and snow tiles which sounded way cool.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont need a transcription, just a quick gloss over the high points. i heard the part about the castle grass being able to be customized and the land and snow tiles which sounded way cool.
Well it was an awful lot to take in, so I wouldn't expect clear answers for a while... but my understanding of the Castle issue was that it's separate from the Tiles. They just planned to make the grass accept Lock Downs rather than be customizable. Someone earlier did pitch an idea for Castle/Tower customization that they really liked but the sound was too bad for me to be certain of the details. The Snow and Grass tiles sounded like either an add on to house customization or drops like the Lava Tiles instead...

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Can anyone summarize the big points? I've got visitors and could not listen to any of the stream. What did they announce???

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The things that got answered were all across the board, so it's not really something that can just be summarised easily :(
My attention was between the in-game party, keeping the stream running, watching the town hall stream and keeping up with the chatter. But a few things that stuck in my mind are:

They liked the idea of costumes having their own slot in the inventory, rather than being held as a weapon.
City invasions get old, so they're not really into the idea of having them as anything but organised events.
Mesanna wants to know what sort of wearables you'd like to see in-game.
The high-res art is happening, example slides were shown, people ooh'd, they're coming to the internet.
They're brainstorming tinkering having wider uses, like having footplates open doors, etc. (like minecraft with redstone).
Some love for pets, but apparently not colour-wise.

Edit:
More sea creatures.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/qktBt.jpg
Image: http://i.imgur.com/WPghU.jpg
Image: http://i.imgur.com/fArDU.jpg
Starting on either the 1st, 2nd or 6th of October (I have too many numbers in my head) the Halloween event will start. Something about dying in a graveyard turning you into a skeleton, and then if you kill the skeleton you can keep your bones.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Was there any big announcement? At the last town hall High Seas was announced. Anything on that order of magnitude or close?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
At the last town hall High Seas was announced. Anything on that order of magnitude or close?
Depends on your perspective. imo.. nah, nothing like that. Biggest thing to me is that the Bug fix publish is only 2 publishes away :)

W

Woodsman

Was there any big announcement? At the last town hall High Seas was announced. Anything on that order of magnitude or close?
They were showing off high resolution art, which looked quite nice. The bird lamp was amazing. Outside of a few wall tiles several publishes ago, this was the first time we got to see some high resolution stuff.

I hope proper videos are put up, the stream was cutting out on me a lot.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Does the high resolution art work apply to the legacy 2D client or only the SA client?

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the high resolution art work apply to the legacy 2D client or only the SA client?
Honestly?
The CC is so vintage, that they even can't increase the size of the game area (800x600) or put in some zoom. So what's the point of upgrading the art in CC?

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Storm for such excelent work on this... glad to hear the dev will look at what was given in question.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly?
The CC is so vintage, that they even can't increase the size of the game area (800x600) or put in some zoom. So what's the point of upgrading the art in CC?
Yeah, why upgrade the art for the client a VAST MAJORITY of UO players use...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, why upgrade the art for the client a VAST MAJORITY of UO players use...
You don't get it. That's not my opinion you quoted. That's what the devs said. They would have to rewrite the entire client to get that working. Now guess what? The completely rewritten client is called EC!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Thank you Storm for such excelent work on this... glad to hear the dev will look at what was given in question.
Thank you,I dont think most people understand how much work this takes. we fielded 100's of questions from in game (this means people actually playing ) from the boards and from the feed itself, we had to sort these ,look for dups,pull it all together make it look good and hope they looked at it..a lot of people think we can just call messana up and tell em what we think...not so..we worked hard on this. all of the staff . in the following days we will pull what we can together and make the best we can out of it . and get the questions you asked submitted but this will take us a few days so please give us a little time.
Storm

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
time this is a huge task be patient
No worries, I know it will not be an easy task so I'm not expecting it anytime soon, I'm just looking forward to it. I'm in no huge rush to read it as I got my own stuff to work on in the meantime. :)

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't get it. That's not my opinion you quoted. That's what the devs said. They would have to rewrite the entire client to get that working. Now guess what? The completely rewritten client is called EC!
I quoted you saying whats the point of upgrading the CC art IN RESPONSE to you replying to a guy asking about ART not PLAY WINDOW SIZE. Upgraded art and play window size are 2 completely different issues.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to transcript something once...
Thanks for those that do that for me now.. and take your time.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I quoted you saying whats the point of upgrading the CC art IN RESPONSE to you replying to a guy asking about ART not PLAY WINDOW SIZE. Upgraded art and play window size are 2 completely different issues.
Ok, if you do not increase the game area size or implement a zoom feature, then what's the point of using art with higher resolution? The CC art is already as crispy and detailed as it can get...o_O

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, if you do not increase the game area size or implement a zoom feature, then what's the point of using art with higher resolution? The CC art is already as crispy and detailed as it can get...o_O
Dude some people refuse to use electricity because it goes against their beliefs.. That is totally cool.. your beliefs are your own.. BUT. I have to agree with Thrakkar here.. if you choose to stay with the CC you choose to do without zoom, macros, advanced chat, etc... Oh, and Hi Res art....

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Image resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Game area size and pixel resolution are 2 completely different things. Game window size is like looking through a porthole in a ship or a sliding glass door. Resolution is someone with coke bottle glasses looking at a screen with the glasses on or off. From the question you are referring to "There are draw issues associated with the world building when increasing the size of the client window in the 2D/Classic client." speaks to the game window size.
The armored boura, Exodus model and the sheep all look higher res, not sure if they actually are though.

To answer the original question though Grimm stated that there was no high rez art update for the CC after the high rez sheep that bled over from the EC many months ago.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Storm Take your time and do a good job is all I ask. I'd perfer accuracy rather then speed. My esteemed fellow players will just have to put a hand on their tush and hold on.
Patience is a virtue.... For the Gods of UO sake please try to be virtueous so Storm can do it right the first time. (Aimed at others who are inclined to rant)

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was a die hard cc client guy until a few weeks ago. Forced myself to use the EC with Pinco's ui...

Besides the Zoom, Targeting, looting, map, party tracking on the map, bag organization, and looks damm cooler...the dress feature is irreplaceable. My Mage now has 3 suits...resists suit, super mana regen suit, and high SDI suit, which changes out in a second. Give it 2 weeks, and you will never look back.

CC is only good for scripters, and the sooner it's gone the sooner rail miners go away:eek:

The only downside so far, is that it is a pancake on laptops(where I do most of my play)....Temp sometimes gets screaming which slows down the graphics...Laptop cooler is on it's way so we will see if it helps.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was a die hard cc client guy until a few weeks ago. Forced myself to use the EC with Pinco's ui...

Besides the Zoom, Targeting, looting, map, party tracking on the map, bag organization, and looks damm cooler...the dress feature is irreplaceable. My Mage now has 3 suits...resists suit, super mana regen suit, and high SDI suit, which changes out in a second. Give it 2 weeks, and you will never look back.

CC is only good for scripters, and the sooner it's gone the sooner rail miners go away:eek:

The only downside so far, is that it is a pancake on laptops(where I do most of my play)....Temp sometimes gets screaming which slows down the graphics...Laptop cooler is on it's way so we will see if it helps.
Agree with above. It does grow on you...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Storm Take your time and do a good job is all I ask. I'd perfer accuracy rather then speed. My esteemed fellow players will just have to put a hand on their tush and hold on.
Patience is a virtue.... For the Gods of UO sake please try to be virtueous so Storm can do it right the first time. (Aimed at others who are inclined to rant)
storm is not doing the transcript :) someone else is..

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Image resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Game area size and pixel resolution are 2 completely different things. Game window size is like looking through a porthole in a ship or a sliding glass door. Resolution is someone with coke bottle glasses looking at a screen with the glasses on or off. From the question you are referring to "There are draw issues associated with the world building when increasing the size of the client window in the 2D/Classic client." speaks to the game window size.
The armored boura, Exodus model and the sheep all look higher res, not sure if they actually are though.
No matter, what you are trying to tell me, but the maximum resolution of the game area/window is 800x600. There is no arguing over that.

Get InsideUO, take a look at the art. Every pixel in such a image is displayed. Not stretched, not shrinked. 1:1 on your screen. Why? Because the original art has been developed for exactly that resolution.
Now if they would add some high-res art, there wouldn't be enough pixels to display, because i.e. floor tiles would be too big. So they would have to scale it, to display it properly. So what's the point of putting in higher-res art, if you would have to downsize it again? (Besides it probably would look crappier, when rendered down on the fly).

Yes, the armoured boura or the Exodus look different, but that's just because another artist has created these images. That these might look more high res is just individual perception. Again, take a look at InsideUO, you'll find that there too exactly one pixel of the image occupies exactly one pixel on your screen.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am an EC-only user, but find this statement a bit short-sighted... You don't think the EC can be scripted? It's not scripted for the same reason Mac's don't have a lot of viruses...

Besides, if they wanted to, EA could borrow some brilliant anti-scripting measures that freeshards have used that have been surprisingly effective.. They just choose not to.

In any event, looking forward to the transcripts or any videos of the celebration that can be put up!

Last edited: