• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP Skill Set

P

Papadom

I reciently got back into UO... I quit after 2002. I logged into my PvP Account and selected my best guy for pvp ( had this char since 1998).

He's a 7 x GM:

Healing
Anatomy
Fencing
Swords
Lumberjack
Resist
Tactics

Now I remember this layout used to be the Sh*T back in the day, but I'm not sure he's up to par for UO in 2008.

My question is what should I, or what would you do with this char? I have tons of soulstones, so I can transfer any skill in or out of this char.

What would you do?

S

Sir Kenga

Choose 1 weapon skill, raise it to 120. Drop lumberjack. Get some chivalry 55-75. Add parry.

G

GFY

Drop Lumberjacking unless you want to chop trees.

The Bushido, or Ninja skills, and chivalry more then make up for the damage bonus from lumberjacking. I played back in the day when you could 1 hit kill almost anyone with a lumberjack. Doesn't happen any more.

The name of the game, especially in pvp is about speed now not power. Max out your dex and hit your opponents quickly and often, use special moves at the right times, and heal as needed.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reciently got back into UO... I quit after 2002. I logged into my PvP Account and selected my best guy for pvp ( had this char since 1998).

He's a 7 x GM:

Healing
Anatomy
Fencing
Swords
Lumberjack
Resist
Tactics

Now I remember this layout used to be the Sh*T back in the day, but I'm not sure he's up to par for UO in 2008.

My question is what should I, or what would you do with this char? I have tons of soulstones, so I can transfer any skill in or out of this char.

What would you do?
Lumberjacking still works for Axe fighters only. But the damage bonus is minimal and not worth the 100 skill points. You get more valuable damage or defense boni by adding other skills.

Two weapon skills make no sense at all. Think about adding one or more of the skills like Parrying, Bushido, Chivalry, Ninjitsu etc.

P

Papadom

I read this at UOGuide
"A character with Bushido as well as the Parrying skill will be able to block with a sword, though their defense chance with an actual Shield is lowered as they progress as a Samurai."

When they say block with a sword do they mean actual swords, or do they mean weapons classified as in the sword family? Also would that apply to a Kryss, even though it is in the fencing family? Does the weapon need to be one handed or two handed to bet the bush/parry bonus?

G

GFY

I read this at UOGuide
"A character with Bushido as well as the Parrying skill will be able to block with a sword, though their defense chance with an actual Shield is lowered as they progress as a Samurai."

When they say block with a sword do they mean actual swords, or do they mean weapons classified as in the sword family? Also would that apply to a Kryss, even though it is in the fencing family? Does the weapon need to be one handed or two handed to bet the bush/parry bonus?
What they really mean is weapon. Bushido gives you the parry ability without having to carry a shield. You get a 40% chance to parry with a 2 handed weapon and a 35% chance to parry with a 1 handed weapon.

You will lose the ability to parry with a shield however. You'll more then make up for the loss of any pluses on the shield by having the Bushido special moves.

P

Papadom

I think I will make him:

7 x GM

Healing
Anatomy
Resist
Fencing
Tactics
Bushido
Parry

Does anyone have any comments, (Good or Bad) on this template for PvP?

G

GFY

It probably would have been good back in the day, but now... not so much.

GM anything is pretty mediocre now. You need 120 in at least your weapon skill to have any chance in PVP. Some players run around with 6 X 120's on their template and 7 X GM just doesn't keep up.

That being said a lot of players are getting by with some skills in the 80-90 range with as many 120's as they can fit. This would be a better template:

Healing - 90 use enhanced band aids ant it's almost as good as 100
Anatomy - 100 for the damage bonus
Resist - you'd be shocked how many good pvpers don't have resist! I like mine as close to 120 as possible. (I've been paralyze killed too often)
Fencing - 120 or you won't be able to hit anyone in pvp.
Tactics - 90 at least for both weapon special moves.
Bushido - 120 for best chance ar perfection and damage bonuses
Parry - 120 for best chance to block all those pvpers with 120 weapon skill.

You can drop resist and carry orange petals, to help resist poison, and a trapped box to break paralyze.

You could drop healing for chivalry and cast spells to heal and cure.

My best advise would be to read the boards and find a template that fits your play style. You have really good ninjas, necromancers, archers, and magicians to chose from as well.

P

Papadom

When you open a trapped box to break paralyze does it cause you damage? If so how much?

And how well do the orange pedals work?

I think I'll go 6 x GM

120 Healing
120 Anatomy
120 Fencing
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
120 Parry

G

GFY

When you open a trapped box to break paralyze does it cause you damage? If so how much?

And how well do the orange pedals work?
Make a needle trapped box it should only do a little damage.

Petals work against lower level poisons. If you get deadly poisoned or worse you'll still be poisoned.

P

Papadom

Can I just buy one box and use it over and over, or does it need to be re-trapped by a tinker?

How do the petals work? Do they last for a period of time or do I need to eat more after every time I am poisoned?

P

Papadom

How about this template?

120 Fencing
120 Bushido
100 Tactics
100 Parry
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
80 Resist

G

GFY

How about this template?

120 Fencing
120 Bushido
100 Tactics
100 Parry
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
80 Resist
I would try dropping healing for chivalry. You can do really well with about 80. You get a bunch of buffs for your attacks, (they stack nicely with bushido) you can travel with the scared journey spell, (Paladin's recall) and you can heal and cure with chiv spells.

I would also push parry to 120 for maximum effect. Without healing you could drop anatomy so you can make up points if you want 120 resist. (IMHO resist is all or nothing. In between is a waist of points.)

P

Papadom

Can you cast heal and cure with chivalry while your swinging a weapon? or do you have to disarm first?

Also

What bonus do you get for having:

GM Fencing vs 120 Fencing

and

GM Bushido vs 120 Bushido

Can I just buy one box and use it over and over, or does it need to be re-trapped by a tinker?

How do the petals work? Do they last for a period of time or do I need to eat more after every time I am poisoned?

Thanks

S

Sir Kenga

Can you cast heal and cure with chivalry while your swinging a weapon? or do you have to disarm first?
U don't have to disarm.

What bonus do you get for having:

GM Fencing vs 120 Fencing
Huge difference, GM is nothing now.

GM Bushido vs 120 Bushido
Huge difference, i wouldn't advice any lower than 110.

Yes u can buy one box and use it over and over.

They last for some period of time, i'm not sure how long it is, let's say 5 minutes.