• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pvp mage temps

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have been inactive for far to long. There has been so many changes to spellcasting in pvp I don't know where to beging. If anyone has time to go in depth on some viable pvp mage templates these days I would appreciate it. Like I guess some templates can go over the 15% sdi cap? I am not really sure where to start.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a so called Focused Mage you have a sdi cap of 30 in pvp. Focused Mage means you are not allowed to have more than 30 Skill points in a different spell live or Animal Taming. That means if you got 120 (or at least over 30 Magery) you are not allowed to have more than 30 points in Necro, Mysticism, Focus, Taming, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Chivalry, and Spellweaving (I hope I didnt forget any Skill). Very common mage templates these days are Parry/Mages to give you more protection against the dexxers. Its may look like:

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Parry
120 Wrestling
120 Medi
120 Resisting Spells

Mine actually looks like this:

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Parry (10 from Hephaestus shield)
100 Anatomy
50 Medi
120 Resisting Spells
100 Poisoning

100 Anatomy/120 Eval give you the same Defense as 120 Wrestling. You can swap Poisoning for Inscription for some for SDI. 50 Medi isnt that much, but just enough for pvp fights if they dont last too long ;-)

If you dont wanna go Parry/Mage you can try using a mage weapon for defense instead of wrestling or anatomy/eval. Then you can be disarmed and are quite helpless against dexxers for the time being disarmed, but got more skill points to use for offense, like:

Magery 120 (if you have a -15 mage weapon you need +15 on the jewels to get back to 120, there is a new artifact from the shadowguard encounter tho with -0)
Eval Int 120
Resisting Spells 120
Inscription 100
Poisoning 100
Meditation 120
Alchemy or Focus 40

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't bother with poisoning, it's no more than a nuisance anymore. Between petals, 4/6 chivalry, healing stone, cure pots, and just plain 'cure poison', most of the time even lethal poison just gets removed. On top of that you have to be almost right next to the guy to apply deadly or lethal.

Scribe is a better bet for the SDI and spell reflect bonus. 15/30 max SDI is only for items, that doesn't count the bonuses you get for stats or skills (inscription, int, eval, or magery). A non-focused Mage with scribe should be almost (-5 %) as good as a focused Mage without.

Of course there's nothing more fun than a Necro Mage that really knows magery inside and out. The curses more than make up for the 15% SDI deficiency. Consider a 6 X 120 Necro Mage (eval, magery, spirit speak, Necro, resist, meditation) if you haven't yet.

I've also seen people drop the resist in that template for petals, apples, and trap boxes, then add spell weaving or inscription. Weaving (pixies, essence of wind, attunement, and the heal over time) is actually not bad, especially when paired with the mana shield mastery.

Last edited:

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
thats good info. what about hci on a parry mage. do you need it?
I'm going to say no, since you're not using a weapon?

What you need is 80 Dex, or you'll never parry anything. And that's the kicker for a cockroach Mage. 80 Dex takes off a lot of strength and int to achieve (mana and hit points). Your suit will need to make up for it, and that leaves off other really useful mods. So people I know who run this use potions to increase all of their stats to make up for it. So you'll need 'enhance potions' of 50% on your suit to pull that off. And you'll go through a lot of them (strength, Dex, int).

Use the calculator here:
UO Stratics - Parrying