• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP / Faction Questions, what works and dont?

C

Coragin

Does area peace stop pvp battles in the way you have to re-target (double click in war mode)?

Does direct peace work on players like the dryads do?

Can you kill an opposing faction member without a murder count? (I think this is yes and probably covered in factions 101)

Whats a better pet for pvp as a tamer and why?
Greater Dragon
Rune Beetle/Bake
Rune Beetle/Mare
Two Bakes/Ethy
Cu/Ethy
Two Mares/Ethy
5 Hellhounds
5 Hellcats
Reptalon (HAH)
5 Frenzied

I would really appreciate some different tactics with the above pet combos. Never did taming pvp template except champ spawns, which was always funny to stand there with my bakes invised on top of me and see some jerkoff attack me and the bakes own him.

Any other suggestions would be wonderful since I dont know anything about pvp anymore, like what to look out for, how to defend (minus trapped boxes).

Final questions

Orange petals negate poison except the highest level right? What is the reuse on them if any?

What are trinsic petals good for?

Can a weapon poisoned by a GM poisoner be used by someone without poisoning?

E

Eyes of Origin

Area peace I believe will effect warriors and they need to retarget, but direct peace does not work on players, just their pets.

The most popular right now pet wise is the Dread mares. They have a fire breath that will whoop your butt in no time, I get hit for about 50-60 on my mage =/ Bakes are also good cause they cast small spells and disrupt mages. Some people have the mare and nightmare just for extra spell casting, plus you can ride both of them.
Great Dragons will still make people scatter, cause of fire breath, which also does a great deal of damage, but the mare will def. make them run.

Orange petals are only good for one use and I believe that it only works on lesser poisons, not sure about greater, but def not for deadly or lethal.
Trinsic petals had to your str for a short time, Grapes will add to your damage for a short time, fruit baskets add to your str, dex and intel for a short time.. Apples will get rid of strangle, evil omen, mortal, etc. so always good to have those on you.

Watch out for para ganks, if you are alone with any number of mages, I'm sure they will try, no matter what guild they are in. So resist spells and a box is the best way to try to avoid it, but even then with 3 or 4 paraing you, you will more than likely go down.

I could be wrong on some of this so anyone else feel free to set me straight or fix what I said.

M

morgawr68

if you want to be a lame a$$ pvper then sure use a pet. why dont you become a real pvper and not use a pet? the choice of course is yours. be real or be a wanna be.

C

Coragin

if you want to be a lame a$$ pvper then sure use a pet. why dont you become a real pvper and not use a pet? the choice of course is yours. be real or be a wanna be.
Oh you mean conform? Run off screen and back castin para explosion and ebolt? And then run off screen again if someone else comes, cast a spell run back and target, then run back off screen?

So basicly be real by running back and forth on and off screen?

Or better yet....get 6 friends together to take out one person? All of us castin para on the poor sap who dont stand a chance?

To me, it seems like being a pvp'r isint anything more than a lot of running on and off screen or para, doublestrike/FS/Corp Por, para, repeat. If I get attacked or damaged even a little run off screen. Yes, thats the pvp I have been seeing. OR its 4 or more on one.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, I will leave my pets at home so it can be six on one, with the little cowards running off screen so they dont break a nail!

I will let you in on a couple important things about me.

1. I will pvp to SURVIVE, not to fit into what you think I should be so Im easier to gank while the pathetic little gang with their para hotkeys run on and off screen so they cant get hit.

2. I will play within the game mechanics and rules to keep up with all the rampant cheating and speed hacks. If that means having pets, so be it.

3. Protection is always up on me, I have no problem fleeing so I dont get gang banged by a bunch of kids who cant fight without UOAssist macros setup to do a one keystroke kill.

But your right, maybe I should just paint a bullseye on my back leave my pets at home and allow myself to be ganked all the time right?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those who don't speak Newbian I've translated this for all of you.

"I'd love to play a mage or even a dexer, but my fingers are so fat that whenever I try to push one key I set off multiple macros.

To counter this, I've made 7 all kill macros and 4 recall macros that target my runebook to my house. These keys are all directly next to each other to limit the possibility of any error.

This works surprisingly well, because when I have my greater dragon with me I can just rake my face on my keyboard from right to left while screaming 'WIN' at the top of my lungs. If my awesome dragon doesn't get the kill at least I will get away.

That's what real PvP is."

C

Coragin

that was actually pretty funny.

Maybe they should make it so if you are in combat with another player, you cannot move off screen? Similar to the recalling after you steal limitation.

Lynk, I will bet you could not kill me with a single bake or mare, hell even a fire steed as my pet. Try this in an 18x18 house, both on screen and cant run away. Seems to me like my above comment hit a nerve with you. Must be because you saw yourself in my comments. Cant take someoen one on one without running off screen? Ohhhh I get it, you need you and your para gank squad right?

Stick with the triforce Link. Obviously insults are not what you are best at.

E

Eyes of Origin

Almost sounds like this needs to be moved to the smack talk thread

Either way, I dont know who Lynx is, but give Coragin a break already.
Hes a returning player and asking about templates. He didnt ask to be **** talked nor should anyone be **** talking him for asking a damn question.

C

Coragin

Thank you Morgaine,

I dont like having a flame thread, but as you can see, I got think skin and wont back down if I am attacked for no reason. Bordering on trolling here, but its all good, the people that are being kind, considerate and helpful, very much outweigh the few trolls.

But thank you for the intervening before it could have gotten out of control. And I hope we dont move this to smack talk, I would like more input on my original post if anyone can. :)

:next:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your use of improper spelling, utter abuse of commas, and false sense of being better than mediocre at UO is more of a troll than anything I could post.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk, in the last week you have posted to nearly half the shard forums for one reason or another.

On GL, where you appear to be most active, you do offer constructive conversation and helpful advice.

I'm curious as to whether you are logging in and playing on the shard or if your tour de force of the boards is caused by something not to be found in the game.

C

Coragin

Your use of improper spelling, utter abuse of commas, and false sense of being better than mediocre at UO is more of a troll than anything I could post.
Ahh, attacks on grammar and spelling, the last attempt of a desperate man and a true internet superman. I was figuring that would happen sooner or later.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk, in the last week you have posted to nearly half the shard forums for one reason or another.
It is nice to know that I'm being watched so closely.

On GL, where you appear to be most active, you do offer constructive conversation and helpful advice.
We must be reading different forums.

I'm curious as to whether you are logging in and playing on the shard or if your tour de force of the boards is caused by something not to be found in the game.
I don't like to limit myself by fake boundaries such as "shards" or "forums". I need to spread my positive outlook and influence to everyone, regardless of shard.

Multani

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does area peace stop pvp battles in the way you have to re-target (double click in war mode)?

Does direct peace work on players like the dryads do?

Can you kill an opposing faction member without a murder count? (I think this is yes and probably covered in factions 101)

Whats a better pet for pvp as a tamer and why?
Greater Dragon
Rune Beetle/Bake
Rune Beetle/Mare
Two Bakes/Ethy
Cu/Ethy
Two Mares/Ethy
5 Hellhounds
5 Hellcats
Reptalon (HAH)
5 Frenzied

I would really appreciate some different tactics with the above pet combos. Never did taming pvp template except champ spawns, which was always funny to stand there with my bakes invised on top of me and see some jerkoff attack me and the bakes own him.

Any other suggestions would be wonderful since I dont know anything about pvp anymore, like what to look out for, how to defend (minus trapped boxes).

Final questions

Orange petals negate poison except the highest level right? What is the reuse on them if any?

What are trinsic petals good for?

Can a weapon poisoned by a GM poisoner be used by someone without poisoning?
Don't take this the wrong way but if your fighting heavily outnumbered all the time, I would not recommend a tamer for PvP.

You just don't seem good enough to handle a gank, and you sound way way way to reliant on the pet to get the kill.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like to limit myself by fake boundaries such as "shards" or "forums". I need to spread my positive outlook and influence to everyone, regardless of shard.
Yeah, its that neediness.

My own compulsion to understand the inexplicable of humanities darker drives is almost stimulated into action. :wall:

Careful the spell you cast, not just on children...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, its that neediness.

My own compulsion to understand the inexplicable of humanities darker drives is almost stimulated into action. :wall:

Careful the spell you cast, not just on children...
Did you get that from a fortune cookie? If so, creepy.

C

Coragin

Don't take this the wrong way but if your fighting heavily outnumbered all the time, I would not recommend a tamer for PvP.

You just don't seem good enough to handle a gank, and you sound way way way to reliant on the pet to get the kill.
I havent decided if I am going to use one of my tamers, my dexxer or my mage. This is why I am asking questions about how pvp works with taming. Its been a few years since I have played, things have changed, tactics, new stuff ect. I dont know what works with pvp and what dont anymore. Its not that I cannot pvp or stop ganks, its that I do not know anythign about how bardic or taming skills work within pvp cause I only used bakes before and only for champ spawns.

M

Michael Wolf

Not that I PvP at all, but isn't the reason everyone supposedly likes Fel rule-set is because it's the original UO rule-set? Now I've been playing this game since it opened and I distinctly remember tamers being part of that original rule-set...

Just seems a little strange to me that everyone is always complaining that not enough people go to Fel to fight but yet if you do you're pet is not welcome...

C

Coragin

Not that I PvP at all, but isn't the reason everyone supposedly likes Fel rule-set is because it's the original UO rule-set? Now I've been playing this game since it opened and I distinctly remember tamers being part of that original rule-set...

Just seems a little strange to me that everyone is always complaining that not enough people go to Fel to fight but yet if you do you're pet is not welcome...
Well dont you know its a lot harder to gank you if you have a rune beetle that can bleed and lethal poison, Cu that can bleed and hits HARD, dragon that can bleed hits HARD and has fire breath.

Isint it funny how when you take the advantage away from the murderers they call foul and start calling you a newb for using a pet? But if you dont bring your pet, they gank you and call you a newb.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess. They want Fel, but only by their rules. You know, gank para squads, speed hacks, stump hacks, blah blah, pot tossing scripters, auto re-targeting, the list is endless. If they win its all good.

But please can someone answer my original post? What pets do you use and why?

E

Eyes of Origin

I wish some of the pvp tamers would jump in on this, but maybe with all the slack you are getting, they dont wanna answer cause they will get crap too =/ even though there is at least one or two pvp tamers in each fel guild.

blueturtle

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
corigan i kill the tamers in TB all the time, even with their pets on me, if you have bushido 50 ep and healing, its not hard to survive a pet :/

C

Coragin

corigan i kill the tamers in TB all the time, even with their pets on me, if you have bushido 50 ep and healing, its not hard to survive a pet :/
Cool, now see, here is advise I can use. And hes not even a pvp tamer. Now my only question is, Im drawing a blank, 50 ep? Is that elemental protection?

Forgive me for being behind on my acronyms.

blueturtle

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ep = enhanced potions, if you dont plan on joining a guild i would say make a stealth archer to avoid the gank squad's b/c every guild including the one im in does it, just the nature of the game at this point.

I

Intoxication

I haven't played in a few weeks but I always liked the Bake and dread combo on my tamers. If you bola them at just the right time they drop dead pretty fast. I'll be back after my surgery to feed my pets again, with a three month recover it could be a while though.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a tamer, and I don't like using them, but I won't deny their effectiveness.

From what I've seen, Greater Dragons or Dread Nightmares are the way to go. Greater Dragons help in pushing through fields, as well as being deadly in many situations. I think most people will admit that the Greater Dragons are pretty unbalanced (overpowered) right now. Be sure to have some sort of defense on your template to make up for a lack of a mount, especially if you're also usually fighting without numbers to help you out.

Dread nightmares are better for mobility, and although not as deadly as the Greater Dragon, their fireballs are very nice. They go really well with Archers, who can dismount and then sic the pet on you. Dismount/Running shots + Dread nightmare = pretty damn annoying.

Just a few suggestions. I notice that a lot of folks use the Cu Sidhe's on this shard; I'm sure there's a reason for that.

E

Eyes of Origin

I dont know if Rage Log would be willing to share why he uses the Cu, but it does have a nasty bite. RENT will dismount you, para spam you and sic the cu on you for the kill, because it does so much damage so quickly and it bleeds, you cant do much to heal. It's a nasty way to die, but its effective.