• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP EC vs CC

Which is better?

• Total voters

Richwarf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all, if you have not used both, DO NOT VOTE!!!.

This topic is to compare the two together and see which one is better for PvP (any other form of playing UO does NOT MATTER IN THIS TOPIC).
I used to use the CC just over 1 year ago, when I last quit the game. Since I have come back I only use the EC, just using CC for the things I need to (renaming my pets, checking my vendor is 2D friendly, etc).

To me, they both and they good and bad points which I will try to list.

EC - Good
Changing suits in 1 second.
Better in game map (you died?, hear are the healers near you) (here are where your party members are)
Zoom able game window
Custom skins/UI

EC - Unsure
EC macros (different that UOA macros both good and bad at the same time)

EC - Bad
Random weekly crashes

CC - good
Does not randomly crash one a week
UOA macros (different from EC macros, both good and bad at the same time)

CC - Unsure
OLD graphics (selling point/memorise)

CC - Bad
Memory leek
Unchangeable UI

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i play the CC and tried to stomach the EC but for some reason it was really laggy for me.

now, the 1 second dressing thing i would LOVE for them to bring over to the CC.

but all in all, its one of those old dog new trick things.

ive been playing CC for allmost 14 years and i just dont want to have to take the time to relearn how to play the same game.

Eddie123

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would love to use the EC but it looks bad and is way to blury so i wont. and its bs they let u mod the EC but not the CC :/

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC UI is awesome.. especially with that pinco guys stuff.

On that note, pvp is horrible in EC. The casting/macro responsiveness is not very good.

I tried alot to use the newer targeting system, but found myself trying to use the old one.

The old style one has a bug involving using the mouse wheel as last target (essentially spamming/overcasting the spell because you move the mouse wheel too far, causing it to think you are hitting last target several times)

I submit that bug but they never fixed it =/ Outside of that, i didn't get too far outside of using a dexer, which was tricky because of the blurry feeling and "gliding" instead of running.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i would love to use the EC but it looks bad and is way to blury so i wont. and its bs they let u mod the EC but not the CC :/
The cc game engine does not lend itself to being easily modded,
as to the graphics I would suggest trying again after they release the new terrain changes for EC.

A

anna anomalous

I have PvP'd using the Classic Client for nearly 12 years. However, I this past year, I have changed to the Enhanced Client to give it a shot. Here is my run down of it:

CONS:

-Crashing! Since most PvP occurs near the moongates and homes of other players, the severe amount of house and item loading seems to cause multiple crashes, sometimes more than twice in a day. The game force closes to desktop without warning and you have to start up the game again and hope you're still alive.

-Graphics are hard to adjust to.

-Adapting to a new interface

-Various glitches: copies of players being left on the screen until you restart the game

-Spell Stone gets bugged and will not store Bombard sometimes. (usually around patches)

PROS:

- Target/Player Bars: The player's Life Bar is permanently displayed in the top left corner. Targeting is simpler due to a target bar that is a fixed to a dedicated spot (chosen by the player).

- Hot-Key Bar: Everything can be placed on a hot-key bar and setup as a macro. This makes easy work for creating macros for using items like potions, healing stones, weapons, containers, and runebooks.

- Saving Targets: With the Hot-key Bar, the player can save targets that are given through various actions. For example, a hotkey can be made to cast Greater Heal: Target Self, and the game will target the player without ever showing the cursor. Likewise, a hot-key can be made that casts Poison: Target Current, which would work the same way, showing no cursor and casts upon the target that is current chosen.

- Customized UI: There's not enough that can be said about Pinco's UI. The things he comes up with make the Enhanced Client all that more enjoyable. For example, there is a 'Mobiles Bar' which is a fixed box that displays all targets (can be filtered to display only certain targets like blues, reds, oranges, invulnerable). This makes it incredibly simple to pull out other player's life bars.

- Saving Outfits (equip all saved items using 1 button!!!!)

- Smoother Running: The game seems to run past objects much smoother and players do not get caught behind brambles.

- Faster Casting!! Since EC uses it's own targeting system and does no need to communicate to a 3rd Party Program (UOA), the casting will appear faster and smoother.

In summary, for me, the Pros heavily outweigh the Cons.

The crashing is random and that really gets to me, but I can only hope it gets better with future patches. Adapting to the new interface was tough, at first, but after playing nearly 6 months on it, it's second nature. The glitches are few and don't really effect PvP. Moving to a new interface will ruin the nostalgic quality of the users game-play, but it's clear to see only after a few days of PvPing using the Enhanced Client, there are severe advantages it grants over the Classic Client.

I hope this persuades others to give it a try, or even give it a second try.

-Anna

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you've used both clients, what do you think of the differences in how you loot and the speed to loot corpses?

Richwarf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you've used both clients, what do you think of the differences in how you loot and the speed to loot corpses?
With a loot bag set, all you do is spam right click to loot stuff with EC :)
This makes it faster to fill a bag with items to break into dust and to sell/use :)

SupSoc

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not using the horrid enchanted client.

The graphics alone make up my decision. Vast majority of the people who play UO, do for the 2d graphics. They enjoy the simple look.

Richwarf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not using the horrid enchanted client.

The graphics alone make up my decision. Vast majority of the people who play UO, do for the 2d graphics. They enjoy the simple look.
This makes me think...

If they fixed all the bugs and gave EC a big advantage in PvE and PvP, would more people start using it?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
really?

force people to play something they dont want to play?

thats a good way to put a game in the grave.

C

Cloak&Dagger

really?

force people to play something they dont want to play?

thats a good way to put a game in the grave.
It wouldn't be forcing, and keep in mind...leaving things as they are now is a pretty good way to end this games "life". I don't really care about the client wars, simply stating things are on a downward path, if the game is profitable or not it eventually wont be. The question is, will you be around and care when that happens? If so, will you be one of the causes for it?

I use "you" loosely to represent anyone who reads it, but you can take it personally too....since you are a person who will read it. If anyone has argued that graphics do not make a game good, it would be me. I can also admit that it is true that in today's market, we need something more up-to-date. I am not sure just a polished regraphicing of the old client would work (Not sure the client could even handle it...) The new UI in the ec is....ok more or less, in that I mean it is "with the times" it could use a little more thinking and refining, but the main issue is the graphics need to be better than they are, and people who will argue that only the old graphics will allow them to play are those who will ultimately kill the game.

I can agree that if the majority of the player base would in fact stop playing because they are forced to play the ec (which by all technical standpoints should be able to load the original graphics.....) would kill the game faster than everything I said above, but....if the game was shown some polish and shine, with advertising and proper care....then the loss would be temporary and low enough to not matter.

Just my opinion on the matter, I personally only play the EC but I do miss the original clients "feel" and look, but I am an advocate for promoting the future.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EC has the following differences:

Good:
- Custom UI (apple times, organge petal timers, buff timers, warnings ...)
- Better macro functions (dress undress of unlimeted items)
- Faster on modern machines
- auto walk around objects (graves, trees)

Sad:
- The other players are lagging especially when you stand still
- The sound of other players movement is not played correctly
- Sometimes there are mirrorimages of players on the screen which are not really there and are only disappearing when you relog or see the player again (this happens also to monsters, if the monster is dead it stays until relog)
- sometimes a player appears naked and without mount
- sometimes you are not on the position displayed, hitting war mode or opening the paperdoll will throw you back to the real on server position
- it crashes for me every 2 - 3 hours of pvping (continous gameplay no restart of the client)