• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PVM Tamer Necro Mage is possible?

• Thread starter tsubaza50
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
T

tsubaza50

I started playing UO today, and am looking for a good template to start.
I made this template, but I do not know if it was good.
Suggestions?

Animal Taming 115
Animal Lore 115
Veterinary 115
Magery
Necromancy
Meditation or Spirit Speak
E.Inteligence

SKill Cap 720

and what do you think about Archery Tamer

Animal Taming 115
Animal Lore 115
Veterinary 115
Chivalry 80
Archery
Tactics
Anatomy

I've never played before, but I have some idea.
I have nothing in the game, then, i would like a good template to start.
Thanks

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a necro mage tamer is a strong template but has 3 major flaws. Low if any meditation, no vet and no resist spells. It can work and I still use a necro tamer mage for pvm and pvp (more pvm these days). Wraith form helps to offset the low meditation so you can pull mana back and you use a greater dragon to tank. The greater dragon or a cu sidhe is the only real options because if the pet dies or get in trouble you need something that can take a beating. Cu's heal themselves which is nice but have half the hit points of a good greater. You can also hop on a Cu and run away to a safe location to heal it up in the event it's getting smoked. No resist isn't a huge deal, but things like paralyze(trap box to counter) poisons, mana drains and mana vampires will effect you and get annoying fast. To run necro without spiritspeak is sorta pointless unless you are just going for wraith form, in which case you need slayer books...and that may not work that well. gm spiritspeak is 20% mana drain and 120 ss is 24%(i think..lol) mana drain in wraith. My current necro tamer is along the lines of 110tame/110lore/115mage/115eval/100necro/110ss/60med It's not the best I ever ran but it works well enough for me. It's on a shard I dont play often and I didn't see the need for 120s, but it gets the job done. I had a necro mage tamer awhile back on my main shard that used to solo lady mel and that was rough but fun. The first few minutes determine if you can do it or not. ALways exciting! lol. Also taming/lore jewels are always helpful and/or a necro talismen (5necro/10ss) or a taming tali (5tame/5lore) to help make more skill points.

I have almost no experience with archers, and even less with tamer archers.. it's been hmm 4-5 years since I ran one, but I used mine to gate trash on a blue and it worked well then.. someone else would have to comment about pvm ability..

but most commonly a tamer would be a mage tamer with vet, this build is a sit back and vet the pet while it tanks and kills the monster. Tried and true.

If you are just getting into UO I highly suggest trying out a dexxer template first, they can take a beating (usually) and help to learn whats going on. They also have good damage output with minimal gear. Mages tend to be harder for brand new players, and need very specific and costly mods and pieces to work the best.. but mages are in my opinion the best thing about UO.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need for Necro

Necro and taming really arn't that great a mix. What you would use necro for is raising dea which is ok? But when you corpse skinn for fire damage you raise the physical resist which offsets pets damage.

I would more loook into Spell Weaving

I have a pure mage tamer
Tame, Vet, Lore, Mage, Med, Eval - good all around and easy to use
Tame, Vet, Lore, Mage , Med, Eval, SW - Great and the use of Gift of life and word of death are just AWSOME.

Both require very expensive suit to use well and easily.

With a nice mana regen suit you can prob get away with minimal meditaiton but I like having it for keeping mana at high levels.

Archer Tamer is nice you can look at
Tame, Lore, Vet, Chiv, Arch, Tact, Anat
Have a Greater Dragon stand in front of you to tank and shoot over her shoulder to deal more damage. A very effective template for PvM

For simplecity and easy i would stick wit the Tamer Mage Spell Weaver though.

A

anvira

I recently reworked my tamer and made her into a Disco tamer.

Mage 115
SW 120
Music 107 - jeweled to 120
Disco 105 - jeweled to 120
Tame 96 - jeweled to 120
Vet 82 - jeweled to 108
Lore - 95 - jeweled to 110

I usually use my greater dragon, but have found that SW and Disco is an awesome addition to the template.....

Havent really noticed a huge lack from the no eval or med, but I did end up spending some time to make a nice suit.

Still working the Discord however..........lol, currently at 100 zzzzzzZZZ

Good luck!!!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say just try the template out in Test Center and see how it feels for you.

It's lilely you don't *need* 115 in all your taming skills, I'd recommend checking the pets you want to use here, and work out the skill you'll need to control them 99% of the time. 110 is often enough, 115 is more for dread mares/banes and above. But you could shave 5 points off vet and lore if you needed to.

I've still got a necro mage tamer with enough spellweaving for gift of life/renewal. She's greedy on mana, but it's a fun template. Just be aware that negative karma can be a pain if it's your main tamer and you want to go anywhere. Pixie swarms can really be annoying after a while :D

If you know how to handle pets and you're experienced with necromancy, I think it's a good template for something different. And the nice thing is, you can always soulstone a different template if you want a change. But do test things out on TC, it'll save you a lot of time if you're training skills then find they don't work as you'd like them to.

Wenchy

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have a mage/tamer, weaver/mage/tamer, archer/tamer, and necro/mage/tamer. The necro/mage/tamer is my favorite. My favorite in-game activity is champs and minichamps, and the necro/mage/tamer is ideal for these encounters.

Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros
--The ideal champ spawn template: invis yourself, allow spawn to target your dragon or cu, then wither away
--Animate dead summons do not count as summons, which means you can have a greater dragon and three additional summons

Cons
--You are essentially limited to three offensive spells: Mind Blast (cold damage against a single target), Wither (cold damage, area-of-effect spell), and Poison Strike (poison damage, area-of-effect spell)

Here's another benefit of necro/tamer: 3 skeletal dragons + 1 greater dragon = army.

5% Luck

One of my past templates was a necro tamer. I had a ton of fun using it and it was situationally very effective!

110 tameing
110 lore
120 necro(real)
120 spirit(real)
100 med
100 vet
80 mage(gate+heals+invisi)

What I was doing with this was using fire steeds and animates. Now the fire steeds have a pack instinct and do 80% fire damage which against most mobs offsets the +phys from corps skin nicely! Against some higher lvl mobs getting the 1st few kills is tough but once you have a few good animate up to tank it really is one of the more powerful tamers out there.

The real problem I came across was being limited to fire steeds. To me its one of the best 2nd tamers around. If you take into account other templates make better use of more pet types no one makes better use of the fire steed!

Boontendo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a mage/tamer, weaver/mage/tamer, archer/tamer, and necro/mage/tamer. The necro/mage/tamer is my favorite. My favorite in-game activity is champs and minichamps, and the necro/mage/tamer is ideal for these encounters.

Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros
--The ideal champ spawn template: invis yourself, allow spawn to target your dragon or cu, then wither away
--Animate dead summons do not count as summons, which means you can have a greater dragon and three additional summons

Cons
--You are essentially limited to three offensive spells: Mind Blast (cold damage against a single target), Wither (cold damage, area-of-effect spell), and Poison Strike (poison damage, area-of-effect spell)

Here's another benefit of necro/tamer: 3 skeletal dragons + 1 greater dragon = army.

/QUOTE]
I use this template type now but with a slight tweak. Given the times, there is a lot more that can be done with a Necromage Tamer. Legendaries allow for a large enough mana pool combined with mana leeching from wraith form so that you don't require meditation. Also, the new primers help the pets stay healed. I am currently running a template that is as follows.

120 Weave (real)
110 Taming (115) with talisman
110 Lore (115) with talisman
100 Spirit (115) with imbued bracelet
100 Eval (115) with imbued bracelet
95 Mage (115) with crystalline ring
85 Necro (105) with Midnight bracers

This template is a powerhouse. Taming level 3 Primer "Comsume Damage" cast on your pet while you're wraith form withering is pretty fun. Not to mention getting some good sdi on suit/items. Legendary artifacts today also help a lot in getting your stats/regens up to an above par level.

Boontendo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros

Cons

Why did you go 120 mage with no eval? I'm working on a temp that allows me all the skills you have (a little less real with skilled items to boost) plus 120 eval and spellweave

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Why did you go 120 mage with no eval? I'm working on a temp that allows me all the skills you have (a little less real with skilled items to boost) plus 120 eval and spellweave
I'm certain there was a specific and important reason for this . . . but after five years away from the game, I'm afraid I don't recall why. If you can't think of a reason to go 120 mage without eval, then save the extra points.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only reason for 120 with no Eval I can think of:
- Mage Weapon (Defense)
- Never fizzle 8th Circle Spells (Res)
- Some spells scale with magery (Greater Heal)

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
i have gone 120 magery with no eval, as im human and so the 20 points would be wasted anywhere else. Once I get jewellery i might consider raising something else, but fairly happy with 120 tame,lore,vet,music,disc, mage atm. Also it would mess up my 2480 luck suit with 16MR 40LMC and 100LRC that i spent all my worldly goods crafting :p