• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvM Build for Newbies

R

Randolf

Hi.
I'm rather new to Ultima Online, so I know only some basics like skill system, raising attributes etc...
Basically what I'm looking for is a easily achievable PvM only build, so if possible without unaffordable items and skills which take years to raise. Are there any builds like this? :)

Greetings,
Randolf

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well, since nobody else has taken a whack at this, I guess I will.

With an ABC archer build, you can get pretty far (both solo and in a group) without breaking the bank
There are a few good write ups on the details of that build elsewhere but the basic template is Archery, Bushido, Chivalry, Tactics, mixing in Anat, Heal, Resist as best you can to suit your playstyle.
You have some other options for advancing and customizing the template, too, and it certainly benefits from high-end gear, but doesn't require it.

That's just one idea, you can really do just about anything you want. Especially if you can find some group play.
Hope that helps get you started!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can keep it simple. Just a warrior with a weapon skill with healing and anatomy. You can make a paladin then you need chivalry and focus and some mana regen on your armor.

Or if you make it very simple just a swordsman in Virtue armor can take you a long way if you learn how to fight with it.

Here i can show you that simple things can get you very far : No Tamer, No Samurai or Mystic....

Its hard to answer your question because there so much combination possible in UO . :)

Try it to see what you like, and if not suits you , you can always change it. :)

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are some basic temps but they are all pretty limited and to be effective your going to have to have good timing and really know your skills. The question really is do you want to be melee or mage. From there your best bet is to look in the professions sub forums. For example the easiest pvm dexxer temp is the sampire. Its a neco warrior that operates in vampire form to leech back health. That being said all suits are essentially going to cost anymore the thing is that there are ways to do them cheaper it all depends on how much your planning on doing and how big a group you have with you and the amount of time your willing to spend on things.

Audsved

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm coming to UO (if this download ever finishes) for the first time. Quit playing DAoC aprox 6 yrs ago when everyone started getting vamped for warhammer and were heading off. I found a Second Life and got lost there, but lately its lacking and not holding my interest. So, I thought I would try UO as it seems to be a cross from my old DAoC and SL. I could use any tips, suggestions, help I can find. On DAoC my most played Characters were Fire Wiz, Cleric and then I found Heretic and fell in love. She rocked, is there anything similar to a whip wielding fire ball throwing healer that likes to craft and maybe fish? As in reading forums and such that sounds like fun here we couldnt fish in DAoC.

Looking for a new home (away from RL)
BTW I mainly play late afternoons & evenings MTN time zone and if someone can send a flare or beacon of what server/shard to head to I'd be happy to look for the light.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No whips, but...

UO Skill Selection is free-form. you can take however many skills you want, as long as they total 700 or less for a new account, with each 12 months giving you another 5 points to the cap for the first 4 years (to 720 at 48+ months). Plus, skill points from equipment don't count toward the cap (so some people can squeeze 800+ points into a template). Skills can go up to 100 by default, with scrolls existing that can raise the caps on about 2/3 of them to 120.

Healing and combat spells can be found in the same spell skill trees (either Magery or Mysticism - and some put both skills on the same caster). Inscription lets you craft spellbooks, and Fishing can be taken by anyone.

Matter of fact, my primary spellcaster is

120 Magery
120 Mysticism (105, with a +15 ring)
120 Fishing
120 Focus (the mysticism support skill for spell effectiveness, and also boosts mana regen)
120 Evaluate Intelligence (the magery support skill)
100 Inscription (also boosts spell damage output, as well as crafting spellbooks and scrolls)
35 Meditation (the skill for pure mana regeneration, requires light armor or mage armor on heavier items, to work)

A crafter gets a bit more complicated. There's too many crafting skills to put on one character, these days.

Only three of them can be powerscrolled to a 120 cap (and the powerscrolls can be gotten through skill use with Bulk Order Deeds), though, so fitting stuff isn't as hard as it could be.

Inscription- As noted above - makes spellbooks, scrolls and a few other paper-related or writing-related items. At high skill level (and high skill in the related casting skills) can make spellbooks with additional properties (skill bonuses, casting modifiers, spell damage, etc.)
Cooking - make food for decoration and for your own special events in game (bake your own cakes, and have them decorated with your own message), and even make magical foods with special ingredients and sufficient skill
Blacksmith - Craft most metal weapons and armor (can be scrolled to 120)
Tinker - Make most of the tools needed for normal crafting out of metal & wood. Some weapons and magical jewelry as well.
Tailor - make cloth and leather clothes and armor (the other pure crafting skill that can be scrolled to 120).
Alchemy - make potions, and at 100 skill, can learn to make glass items.
Bowcrafting/Fletching - the ability to make bows, crossbows, and ammunition.
Carpentry - make furniture, wood armor, and a number of items used by other skills (crafting and others). At 100, one can learn how to work stone. The problem with Carpentry is that most items that are to be used with another skill require that another skill also be possessed to make them. For example, forges and anvils require blacksmithing, Looms, spinning wheels, some furniture and even fishing poles (because of the line) require tailor, and other stuff requires magery,tinkering, cooking, etc.
Note that the skills that can use special materials can either use them in crafting the items, or enhance the items after crafting (or finding such items as loot) with those materials (but with a substantial chance of destroying the item in enhancement)

Mining - Mine Ore, turn ore into ingots for other crafters to use. Once at 100 Mining, can expand the skill to mine stone, gems and sand for other crafting skills.
Lumberjacking - Harvest logs for carpenters and fletchers, and at 100 skill, also get ingredients from the trees for Imbuers (and special recipes used by tinkers, smiths, and fletchers)
Arms Lore - crafting support skill that raises the additional resists add to exceptionally crafted armors during crafting, and extra damage increase to exceptionally crafted weapons.
Imbuing (can be taken to 120 with scrolls) - While you can get runic tools for crafting smith, tailor, fletching, carpenter wood & stone items with random properties from BODs or quests, they are very random indeed. Imbuing lets you use special ingredients and gems to add specific properties to items that have room for them. It also includes a process called "Reforging", which requires a Soulforge and runic crafting tools, where you make a non-magical item with normal tools and base materials, then use the runic tool ON the item at the soulforge, to use multiple runic charges to make a more guided (but still partly random) change to it, often with potential properties being much higher than on normal loot or from normal crafting. Imbued items have a limited durability, as do reforged items made using certain boosts chosen in the reforging process, while conventionally crafted runic items (and some reforged items) do not (and can have their durabilities raised with a smith reward), and can have total intensities higher than imbuing (but not as high as reforging).

Imbuing/Reforging has become the most important crafting skill, but it's important to start out with exceptional items with maximum arms lore benefits when you do use it, and the tools for reforging come from use of the other skills. Typically, persons really into crafting will have the skills spread over 2 characters, with magery on both for transport and defense - and possibly have the Mining and/or Lumberjacking on non-crafters (as Lumberjacking also gives a damage bonus when using axes).

Audsved

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
After 3+ hrs of logging in a Mage and being in New Haven, trying to figure out basics, walking, chatting with NPC's, dieing to a zombie as I have no weapon & dont know how to cast a spell , cant seem to pick up anything needed for said spells in the book and sending open chat messages to no one, cause I guess I picked a server no one plays on; Lake Austin. I am tired, frustrated and beginning to think UO isnt the game I thought it was. I can't even find a basic command / key list. I have gone through all the generic player guides on the the UO site, none of which will tell you how to cast, swing a weapon, or pick up items. I did find one half way readable map of New haven on stratics here but the icons are so small its really hard to tell what is what on it. I've failed more basic take me to xxx quests than I ever have in any other game.
I may try again later tonight or tomorrow, but unless someone can point me to a server there is some actual guidance on I really dont think I'll be playing even the full 14 day trial let alone paying any subscriptions. I am not a novice gamer nor am lacking the ability to figure things out usually. I've tried everything I can think of to cast, swing a fist, or pick up items and nothing seems to be working.

Tired, Frustrated & totally Lost.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jump over to lake superior perhaps. We have many very good folks who are always ready to assist new players. You can ask for Varingian in gen chat. Should be on be 1130 pm est.

Don't give up. UO's learning curve can seem steep at first glance but it is very rewarding in the end.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
After 3+ hrs of logging in a Mage and being in New Haven, trying to figure out basics, walking, chatting with NPC's, dieing to a zombie as I have no weapon & dont know how to cast a spell , cant seem to pick up anything needed for said spells in the book and sending open chat messages to no one, cause I guess I picked a server no one plays on; Lake Austin. I am tired, frustrated and beginning to think UO isnt the game I thought it was. I can't even find a basic command / key list. I have gone through all the generic player guides on the the UO site, none of which will tell you how to cast, swing a weapon, or pick up items. I did find one half way readable map of New haven on stratics here but the icons are so small its really hard to tell what is what on it. I've failed more basic take me to xxx quests than I ever have in any other game.
I may try again later tonight or tomorrow, but unless someone can point me to a server there is some actual guidance on I really dont think I'll be playing even the full 14 day trial let alone paying any subscriptions. I am not a novice gamer nor am lacking the ability to figure things out usually. I've tried everything I can think of to cast, swing a fist, or pick up items and nothing seems to be working.

Tired, Frustrated & totally Lost.
Hi there, welcome to lake Austin. We are rather quiet during the week, how ever several of us play every weekend. I also try to log in , though it is usually during the day. I would be glad to log on when you are there. I do need to know what time zone:)

What is the name of your character. I'm usually on Rowan or Nikki. Also there are several guilds that are wonderful helpers
Don't worry about walking up to some one and asking questions.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stratics has better guides than the actual game website. That's one of the things we've been complaining about for years.

And, how did you start your character? For someone who is completely new to the game, it's best to use a standard template starting out, such as the paladin, rather than an advanced template where you choose your own 4 skills.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which client you are using? There is some kind of a beginners guide within the enhanced client. It is usually easier to start with, when you have/rely on experiences with other mmos. While i dont like to call that starting guide one for a beginner (too much basics are left out), it shows you what to do to swing a weapon or how to cast a spell.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Official New Player Guide: http://www.uo.com/Players-Guide
Sorry if you knew this already.
Actually - I thought it was a huge PDF file not this website. I am surprised it is not PDF.
Spellcasting is here:
http://www.uo.com/Spellcasting

I think it is *very* detailed. What it lacks: Videos. Some things like dropping scrolls onto a spellbook could be a nice animated 10-seconds GIF. I don't think it will tell you about special tactics or skill templates.
hm really a lot of text.
Maybe there are some Youtube-tutorials?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Be cautios with Youtube videos. I noticed some of them are for unsupported inofficial worlds that you should not play on.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I suggest Stratics staff creates some UO tutorial videos by using an official shard.
What types of videos would you like to see? (yeah, let's keep it UO related :p ) I know the possibilities are endless so a little direction would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What types of videos would you like to see? (yeah, let's keep it UO related :p ) I know the possibilities are endless so a little direction would be appreciated. :)
Let's begin with how to dupe gold! Just kidding!

Nah, I was thinking about what Audsved said:

I can't even find a basic command / key list. I have gone through all the generic player guides on the the UO site, none of which will tell you how to cast, swing a weapon, or pick up items.
Repeat: How to cast, how to swing a weapon or how to pick up items (read: I think Audsved meant how to find specific spell scrolls)

And I'd think of one atomic bomb of a video:
"How to receive your first 1m gold check from another player in less than 10 hours (*)"
(* alternatively 5 hours, 100 hours, ...)

For example: 1m gold by...

• Farming Peerless Keys and selling to other players.
  • Mining Ingots and Saltpeter.
  • Picking up gold after some champion fell when noone cared about the gold.
  • Stealing from Stratics News Reporters while they sleep.
I think that would cover the basics.

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
More elaboration:
Some animated augmentation for the official New Player Guide (*) like I mentioned earlier. Where they tell you every little atomic detail about certain skills, their texts could be augmented by 10-30 second videos - showing actual game play spell usage.

If I sound weird to you, please bear with me. I am not a native speaker.

----

(*) Could also be applied to some genuine Stratics UO content if applicable.

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
One more thing: Superb video quality. I'd want to be able to read all text on screen.

Last edited: