• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Proposal:Township Events

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Proposal
Township Events

I wish to make a proposal to the EMs, for all recognized townships to be paired together, and co-host one event per month. Each township would be randomly paired up by the EM, to host a shard wide event, for everyone to attend. Township pairing would not repeat until all townships have worked with each other.

The two townships would
-Come up with the event
-Schedule around EM events
-Email the event information to the EM
-Publicly advertise the event
-Setup and run the event
-Take a picture and email to the EM upon completion

(Hunts, Auctions and Meetings do not count) I think its safe to say Hunts are normal and not much effort required. Auctions run the risk of items being stolen and the EMs blamed. Meetings....we have one every Sunday. This is my proposal for townships to really work together. If a town refuses or they fail....best to let the EM Team decide that.

T

Tancred RedStar

Great idea, for those who want to take part. It would help encourage people to visit and work with other communities, build some relationships. Although since some communities are very small or holding events is not their thing, I wouldnt necessarily make it a required thing, but certainly a program of some sort to sign up for would be nice.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Aye good point, I like the sign up list.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A fine idea...this is something that would be managed through one of two outlets...

For those who are friendly with the Crown, through the Summit meetings...

for those who aren't so friendly, through various interactions with evil/negative NPCs (Scarlet/The Magician/Nefarious types TBD)

Next step would be to begin brainstorming on what events to have.

N

Nicland

I think this is a great idea! also, I think it to some degree it should be mandatory. If events and such "aren't thier thing" maybe they should not have applied for a banner. With regards to smaller towns, Oni has run events for Silvervale single handed for years. I wouldnt be to critical of any events as long as nice effort was made to include folks from outside normal circles. I like EM Dudley's idea about aligning with allies to the crown vs enemies to the crown. lastly, I would like to see some negative consequences for those going against the crown.

T

Tancred RedStar

I think "negative consequences" for going against the crown should be kept in an rp perspective. You can't have good without evil, and vice versa. It should be an enhancement of the experience, not some sort of game punishment. The opposite could be positive consequences for being allied with Scarlet that those allied with the Crown would not necessarily see/enjoy. If the paladins of the realm kept it safe 100% of the time, it would get boring.

Also, the only thing that has been made mandatory so far is attending meetings so people still know the community exists and is active. Why should, for example, a Fel-based community have their banner removed because no one visits or they don't hold events? Well, as years of experience have shown, only some people do Fel stuff, and that's how they enjoy UO whereas others do it in Tram. Of course, if a community withers away, or they lose interest in interacting with the EM stuff(such as township meetings, events, etc.), then they probably wouldn't miss the banner anyway. Communities should grow and thrive naturally, not be forced to do bonsai.

N

Nicland

"
I think "negative consequences" for going against the crown should be kept in an rp perspective."
Of course in rp perspective. Why would you be punished for rp'ing? Why wouldn't you expect enemies of the land to have negative consequences? If you go against your own government you will get them, why not in Sosaria.

"
Why should, for example, a Fel-based community have their banner removed because no one visits"
who said anything about this?

"
or they don't hold events? Well, as years of experience have shown, only some people do Fel stuff, and that's how they enjoy UO whereas others do it in Tram. Of course, if a community withers away, or they lose interest in interacting with the EM stuff(such as township meetings, events, etc.), then they probably wouldn't miss the banner anyway. Communities should grow and thrive naturally, not be forced to do bonsai.
all I hear is we want the swag with minimal effort and then probably complain about it when they get it. These communities you are speaking of sprang up based solely on the fact that they wanted a town banner. the ones that were established and wanted to be part of the community pretty much held events anyway. with regards to forcing, let the EM's decide any consequences. To me it is a little qid pro quo for the EM's, you help them entertain the masses and they help you get swag.

T

Tancred RedStar

Of course in rp perspective. Why would you be punished for rp'ing? Why wouldn't you expect enemies of the land to have negative consequences? If you go against your own government you will get them, why not in Sosaria.
Some people have had different connotations of what a negative consequence should be, I was merely clarifying it in a more distinct perspective.

As to the banners, I got the impression you meant it was events=banners and no events=no banner, an idea I didnt agree on.

all I hear is we want the swag with minimal effort and then probably complain about it when they get it. These communities you are speaking of sprang up based solely on the fact that they wanted a town banner. the ones that were established and wanted to be part of the community pretty much held events anyway. with regards to forcing, let the EM's decide any consequences. To me it is a little qid pro quo for the EM's, you help them entertain the masses and they help you get swag.
Getting a banner doesnt seem terribly difficult, there are a dozen or so already? It's the first beyond-the-banner thing that is proving a challenege, the livery quest stuff, lol

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Eh, I don't find the Livery Quests very challenging. I think they should make them five times harder, but as for event brain storming I was thinking...

Market Day
High Low
Drunk races
Boat Challenges
Plays
Quests
Mage Poker
Tavern Nights
Fight Nights
Holiday party
Hero Party
Tributes
Story Telling
Player Checkers
Player Chest
Pie Fights
Snowball fights
Training new players
(Ill have more later)

N

Nicland

Eh, I don't find the Livery Quests very challenging. I think they should make them five times harder, but as for event brain storming I was thinking...

Market Day
High Low
Drunk races
Boat Challenges
Plays
Quests
Mage Poker
Tavern Nights
Fight Nights
Holiday party
Hero Party
Tributes
Story Telling
Player Checkers
Player Chest
Pie Fights
Snowball fights
Training new players
(Ill have more later)
there are dozens of things towns could host, comeing up with an event really isnt too hard. one event I would never run, but enjoy seeing from time to time are pax lair plays. events can certainly be tailored to the personality of the city.

N

Nicland

Some people have had different connotations of what a negative consequence should be, I was merely clarifying it in a more distinct perspective.

As to the banners, I got the impression you meant it was events=banners and no events=no banner, an idea I didnt agree on.

Getting a banner doesnt seem terribly difficult, there are a dozen or so already? It's the first beyond-the-banner thing that is proving a challenege, the livery quest stuff, lol

I know there is not much to getting a banner, thats why I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a town to host an event once in a blue moon. Maybe it isnt as cut and dry as event=banner, but before long that table is going to have more one horse towns than we know what to do with leading to mediocrity through the bureaucracy alone. anything worthwhile is worth putting work into.

G

Gowron

I think hunts and dungeon crawls have their place.

I'd be curious to find out how much this new patch is going to change ship to ship combat in Trammel.

I think a good "hunt" would be to summon a Scalis (or more) and fight it strictly from the new ships.

Have a team of smugglers run a blockade? Prize(s) go to smugglers if they reach their port of destination. Prize(s) go to the blockade team if the smugglers are stopped.

Have townships loyal to the queen sail a convoy to Britain to deliver supplies. Have townships hostile to the queen stop that delivery.

I'd be willing to play these scenarios out in Felucca just to see what would happen.

G

Gowron

I know there is not much to getting a banner, thats why I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a town to host an event once in a blue moon. Maybe it isnt as cut and dry as event=banner, but before long that table is going to have more one horse towns than we know what to do with leading to mediocrity through the bureaucracy alone. anything worthwhile is worth putting work into.
I have to admit, I have been rather disappointed with this whole township banner thing. It was my understanding that while it was fairly easy to obtain a banner, that it would require certain amounts of effort to maintain possession of one. Quite frankly, making a token presence at a biweekly meeting is hardly an effort.