• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Probably stupid question re PoF ...

C

Cat Crimson

Ok so... I did not actively play for quite a long time and have started to do so the last month or so... what has happened to make PoF prices go through the roof ? I used to sell them for about 50k per, now I see them for 100-125k !! has there been any changes that prompted this ? For a moment I thought maybe they had been taken off the bod reward list or something but I got a couple the other day on my Siege crafter so I know that's not the cause.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's been a number of things that (due to a bug) can't be repaired anymore. The only way to "repair" them is to add powder.

To an extent, the BOD turn-in changes (where one can turn in a BOD, and it immediately resets the timer to where you can get a new one) and the mining changes (locations change randomly - TOO randomly, currently) make it to where most iron smalls are being filled to get replacement BODs (meaning that the iron larges that give PoF are being tossed, not filled), and most of the colored BODs that give PoF cost considerably more to fill (if using ingots bought from a player vendor), or take much more time to get the ingots for (since finding veins of a specific ingot type has practically been reduced to randomly mining till you hit enough spots of that type). Add in some of the crackdowns on scripters (the randomization, Bag of Sending changes, and yesterday's exploding houses), and you get PoF being a much rarer, and in demand, property.

I'm enjoying it, to an extent - people said I was nuts filling 50 BODs for PoF 2-3 years ago, and then not selling them - but I have been trickling them out, 3-5 at a time every couple months when my funds run low, and making double to triple what they were worth back then.

There was also an event last year where the Compassion region of Britannia (both facets, on the non-SP shards, for double the payout) were invaded by ore elementals of ALL types (up to and including Valorite), among other things, and my macer Smith (legendary in both) on his fire beetle brought home THOUSANDS of ingots each of Shadow through Valorite (less DC, as those eles only have 2 large instead of 25), and as a result I've been less hurt by the mining changes than those who didn't scavenge the battlefield. In fact, I've been mining a lot recently, but for IRON ingots to fill some BODs to train another smith. I'm still being psycho and doing it in Ilshenar with a gargoyle pick, though...

C

Cat Crimson

Aha, thats very helpful - thanks Basara. I shouldn't be too much affected at lower levels by the mining changes but I can foresee problems if I go to fill up on the higher end ingots. I hardly ever buy ingots except if I'm short and there's a pressing bod to fill. I mainly used to use ex DC bods for PoF, I have plenty of that.

My main smith/miner always used to wander about randomly digging even if he was on a specific ore mission, he got easily sidetracked like that
The bags of sending change is a right royal pain in many ways
O well, back to ambling about with a packhorse and recalling every couple of minutes *sigh*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Get a Fire Beetle....

If you have been gone longer than Samurai Empire, you probably don't know their benefits.

You can smelt ore on a fire beetle as if it were a forge - heck, you can smelt ore on the GHOST of a bonded one, even.

That gives you about 60 times the mining capacity than going without a pack animal, and about 10-15 times the capability of taking a pack animal and waiting till you get home to smelt.

10 ingots = 1 Stone weight
10 ingots = 5 large ore
5 large ore = 60 stone weight.

1 stone MUCH better than 60.....

I have been known to go through 5-8 gargoyle picks (100-125 uses each, plus up to 25 ore/50 ingots from each elemental that spawns from it) with my fire beetle, before having to go home to unload. Before the BoS changes, I could stay out mining for almost the entire day, and never have to go somewhere to unload until I ran out of garg picks or prospector tools (about 200 prospector tool uses - 4 entire tools!)

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[There's been a number of things that (due to a bug) can't be repaired anymore. The only way to "repair" them is to add powder.]

What items are you referring to exactly? I have not found any item which cannot be reapired. Now there are a few certain items in which the repair deeds do not work on them.(Thats not a bug as far as I know. Just need an actually trade char to personally repair them). Since I reapir everything with my own chars. Ive never used a repair deed. But My chars have repaired everything.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember something about certain weapons that point east instead of south (or the other way around), but I'm not sure if that issue was repairing (off hand, I thought it prevented enhancing).