• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potential Influx of People To Origin

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Viquire and I are trying to nudge some folks who enjoy factions to make some characters on Origin in preparation for helping to test a possible future publish that includes changes to factions.

If you run a vendor on Origin or have the means to do so, you MIGHT want to consider crafting and putting up for sale some basic items that folks will need to train up new mages and dexxers for PvP. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that means stuff like the following:

• 100% LRC suits with as much LMC and MR as possible;
  • resist suits for training dexxers (sorry, not sure of what mods would be helpful as I make very few dexxers for PvP);
  • single pieces of barbed kit armor with good mods, especially sleeves, leggings, gloves, and gorgets;
  • repair and alteration deeds of all types;
  • powder of fortifying;
  • faction consumables;
  • assorted jewelry with a variety of good mods, including Pendant of the Magi;
  • spell channeling mage weapons;
  • 100% poison weapons with no "hit spell" or "hit area" type mods on them;
  • golem kits;
  • bolts and arrows;
  • power scrolls, stat scrolls, SoTs, SoA, scrolls of binding;
  • full spell books of all types;
  • blank rune books and marked rune books for Tram and Fel cities, Tram and Fel dungeons, Fel T2A spawn entrances, faction strongholds and sigils;
  • smoke bombs, bolas, DP'd darts and blow guns, DP'd shurikens;
  • enchanted apples;
  • potions of just about every possible type;
  • trapped boxes for PvP;
  • silver (??);
  • quivers for PvP;
  • talismans (from community collections as well as those for bandage summoning, curse/damage/ward removal, alchemy and tinkering bonuses);
  • mining supplies and/or lots of iron ingot commodity deeds (tinkers are very important in factions for making trap deeds and trap removal kits);
  • maybe put up some wood commodity deeds in case the new stuff includes being able to make barricades and other stuff (maybe carpenters will become important in factions?);
  • imbuing ingredients;
  • Burglar's Bandana and Shadow Dancer Leggings.

You would also be likely to sell other stuff such as the new types of robes and PvP weapons.

Hopefully some of the real PvP experts might pop in here and add to this list.

I'm not sure how you all feel about more people coming to Origin. However, I'm really really tired of some of the complaints I read in places like U.Hall after a publish comes out and people who play other shards are too lazy to do their own investigating on Origin to find out what's new or are too lazy to have characters here to help with testing important new stuff. And if factions is really going to be changed significantly, it seems to me as if a whole lotta folks ought to get involved in doing the testing under conditions that are a lot closer to what they face on their home shards than they are able to get on a test shard. Then they will have no one but themselves to blame if they don't like what ends up being published. They won't be able to run around later saying the people on Origin fell down on the job of testing stuff or kept the bugs/exploits to themselves.

E

Eyes of Origin

Wouldnt that be nice? People actually testing it themselves, instead of whining after the changes!? lol

What stops them from testing this on Test center? just curious.

Side note... if they start making changes and putting them on Origin first, it would be really really nice if they would leave such significant changes on Origin for at least a week before taking them live to everyone else.

C

Crystal Canyon

Yes, I for one would love to see more folks come to this shard! I think that is what we need to get the moral back up here.

I don't understand much about factions myself, and there are people who actually play here that don't either. My suggestion would be for some of the players that are in factions to write something up here for us so that maybe we can understand factions.

Along with bringing in a new crowd, there is always a chance that people who play here everyday might take a liking to that type of play if they understood it better.

I know that there are places on Stratics that do give some details on the playing of factions, but maybe some information on the pros and cons of joining faction guilds from people who currently play them might be nice. Also maybe some links to articles about Faction play.

A

A Rev

Well you asked for it...so im coming, ill start building the char tonight.

All i need is a...

Full 70's 18mr 70dci 18hpr 40lmc 2/6 50 ep suit and ill start :p

Can we transfer to origin at the moment?

If so ill just move my mage over with a few bits and bobs.

An Addition for your list:

Pendants of Magi.

If people dont x-fer the cheap suit they will use will be Faction kasa, Faction HOL, Faction Orny, Faction Crystaline, Pendant Of magi.

A

A Rev

Well i cant really provide too much insight into factions part from what probably is already known.

To me factions takes PvP one step further, no guards for example...no outside interference [x-healing, ofc you get ganks]. It adds a greater emphasis on team play, if you dont keep your teammates alive...you will not win!

It also almost always means theres some kind of fight, usually one faction has a hard on for sigs, so you know if you go there...you will get a fight. Defending in itself is fun, there are times when its quiet but thats just the calm before the storm...you WILL get a rush for the sigs at some point and its increadibly exciting! Especially when you know your near the end (say 9hrs 30mins) and a few break through. You have to fight them in the base while keeping the rest out!

Also, if you are doing a spawn, and an opposing faction comes in...well if you win...you win! 20mins downtime is usually enough to finish what you are doing.

And, lets be honest, if your starting a new char on a new shard...faction arties make a suit a hell of a lot cheaper!! [and just as good]

Downsides.

Well, unfortunatly factions promotes the win at all cost attitude. this goes hand in hand with...wel you already know of that im sure. Also promotes Ganking and not fighting without overwhelming numbers.

Stat loss, if your new or not very good at surviving, this can be a pain. You can fight through it of course. Generally people wont, they will wait out the 20mins.

Pop Shot stealth archers...these are increadibly annoying...most will run SS and there whole purpose is to stat people who have died to non faction chars. Its a valid template but annoying as hell.

Increased l33t speak and **** talking. you can just ignore it though so not that big of a deal.

All in all, the excitement gained from being in factions [personally] far outweighs the negatives.

One quick question for you guys.

Ive been looking into the faction status of Origin. By the looks of it, MINAX appears to be the least populated faction. Is this true or are the factions actually pretty even and UO.com just not been updated?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What stops them from testing this on Test center? just curious.
Faction stuff can be tested on Test Center, certainly. But it's rarely done because people are too lazy to assemble suits and make the characters, build up rank to get artifacts similar to what they use on a production shard, etc.

I also think that if people "own" actual, nonerasable chars on Origin, they will be far more invested in the testing process than if they use disposable characters on a Test Center. They'll also be able to actually follow what's going on via any "leader board" type of pages like we already have for faction info. You can't look up that sort of information for a true test shard.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we transfer to origin at the moment?
I believe you can do a transfer while Origin is still on the same publish as the other shards, so a transfer today should work. I'll try to do some research to confirm if transfers TO Origin work while it is on a different publish. I'm pretty sure you can't transfer FROM Origin while it is on a different publish.

I have to move a thief to Origin because I'm not sure I'll finish training up Remove Trap quickly enough. So I'll probably be moving one of two faction thieves I have on Legends to Origin, or maybe one that I have on Napa.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I for one would love to see more folks come to this shard! I think that is what we need to get the moral back up here.

I don't understand much about factions myself, and there are people who actually play here that don't either. My suggestion would be for some of the players that are in factions to write something up here for us so that maybe we can understand factions.

Along with bringing in a new crowd, there is always a chance that people who play here everyday might take a liking to that type of play if they understood it better.

I know that there are places on Stratics that do give some details on the playing of factions, but maybe some information on the pros and cons of joining faction guilds from people who currently play them might be nice. Also maybe some links to articles about Faction play.
Crystal, start here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=8437. However, keep in mind that factions is supposedly going to change, so what you read there may end up being totally trashed or at least have a few significant alterations. There have also been a few comments from devs that they might extend factions or whatever replaces it to facets other than Fel.

E

Eyes of Origin

You can xfer at the moment, but cant xfer to or from Origin when its the only one with the publish.

Tina, I see what you mean about Test vs Origin. Would be interesting if players actually did that.

As for faction guilds on Origin.... SL, TB and CoM are the active factions. Last I heard the TB and SL guilds were allying soooooo one of those factions will be dead soon.

There are guilds in Minax, but they arent very active on the shard.

A

A Rev

You can xfer at the moment, but cant xfer to or from Origin when its the only one with the publish.

Tina, I see what you mean about Test vs Origin. Would be interesting if players actually did that.

As for faction guilds on Origin.... SL, TB and CoM are the active factions. Last I heard the TB and SL guilds were allying soooooo one of those factions will be dead soon.

There are guilds in Minax, but they arent very active on the shard.
Thanks, thats actually good new for me because ive always preferred red!
[although getting a horse may be difficult if no ones around to defend sigs...i sure as hell am not going to do it solo!]

E

Eyes of Origin

Thanks, thats actually good new for me because ive always preferred red!
[although getting a horse may be difficult if no ones around to defend sigs...i sure as hell am not going to do it solo!]
lol have fun with that! :p You might get lucky and no one will even notice the sigs are gone or you might not, just depends on who is actually paying attention. If anything, if you're in Minax on the shard you're coming from you could always get a horse, stable it and bring it over with you.

A

A Rev

lol have fun with that! :p You might get lucky and no one will even notice the sigs are gone or you might not, just depends on who is actually paying attention. If anything, if you're in Minax on the shard you're coming from you could always get a horse, stable it and bring it over with you.
Goddamn im stupid!!!
I never even thought of that!
Thats so much easier than the alternative!

XIIxOveR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, cool topic ;)

I've recently migrated to Origin and have decided to make it "home" for a while; frankly I'm tired of moving around. Being new to Origin I can't credibly say how wonderful it would be to see new blood hehe but I do know how tough it can be to find the things you need to get going here. Eyes of Origin is correct in that there will soon be a big gap in TB needing to be filled so perhaps that should be of consideration Rev.

Also, Rev, feel free to drop me a note if you need anything. I'm not exactly loaded with high-end stuff but if you're looking for spellbooks, training LRC, 10 PS's, blue beetles, etc for getting new chars off the ground I'm sure I can help in return for paying it forward when you can.

XII

A

A Rev

Hey, cool topic ;)

I've recently migrated to Origin and have decided to make it "home" for a while; frankly I'm tired of moving around. Being new to Origin I can't credibly say how wonderful it would be to see new blood hehe but I do know how tough it can be to find the things you need to get going here. Eyes of Origin is correct in that there will soon be a big gap in TB needing to be filled so perhaps that should be of consideration Rev.

Also, Rev, feel free to drop me a note if you need anything. I'm not exactly loaded with high-end stuff but if you're looking for spellbooks, training LRC, 10 PS's, blue beetles, etc for getting new chars off the ground I'm sure I can help in return for paying it forward when you can.

XII
I appreciate the offer, if i transfer [i have a spare x-fer token lying around] i will be coming from my home shard of GL, if i do i will have plenty of items to bring over and should be fine on Ps's too.

But as i said i do appreciate the generous offer.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guild I'm in is in TB, but I'll have to poke Poo and company and see if that's where we'll be staying. I haven't been able to play much this last week or so, so I don't know if they've been doing anything much on Origin lately with the faction characters they already have there. My lone Origin faction character needs training, badly, and I just don't know if I'll ever get the thief finished. I will probably transfer over a thief from elsewhere.

C

Coragin

Man this is good news! I would be happy to help do this, our guild has a vendor house and if anyone who owns another house wants to let me put some vendors there let me know.

I would ask CCC but they always have enough repairs, runebooks, spellbooks ect, so you guys wont need me doing the same thing.

I do however have a 120 imbuer smith fletch carp tink so I can imbue up basic lrc and gear for pvp and pvm.

I would ask for some input on what kind of stuff in the way of generic imbued weapons people would like...

Two types of each for pvm and pvp so 4 weapons total....

Two pvp Two pvm Fencing...

SSI?
Hit Ect?
To 5 mods, two types for pvp and two fencing for pvm. Include swords, bows, maces.

I will make your basic stuff for cheap, meaning no special SA stuff, no max mods ect. That way I can keep cost down on myself and sell them cheap.

What kind of suits for pvp and pvm? Again no max mods so I can sell sets cheap.

I am unorthodox in the way I do my stuff in the way of suits and stuff, so what I like is not considered the norm or mainstream. My Whammys and Sampires have mixed suits, some are 100% lrc, some have luck, some have MR, some are a mix of all. Except I dont go with a lot of Mage armor, because I suck mana from Wraith. But mostly I have suits that are corpse proof, max hic, dci, DI all on the suit. So my normal stuff is probably considered not norm to most.

But 100% lrc 40% lmc with jewels is easy and cheap. So add resists? Luck for tamers? Taming on jewels?

Let me know what would be needed and what would not. I am not getting on board to make a ton of gold, I got everything I need minus an ethey or two lol. I am doing this to welcome new people to the shard, so give me some suggestions of leather and non-medable armor, what mods to have on it ect. Again, no max mods will allow me to keep my own costs down and keep it stocked and cheap. Maybe 200k for a full tamer suit with 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 13 taming on each jewel and maybe 13 magery? That sounds like a fair price considering relics are gonna be used.

So big time suggestions here please.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I decide to reactivate my accounts, I'm xferring several characters.

If I do, I'll pay a good quantity of gold for consumables such as enchanted apples, e. bandaids, pots, and trapped boxes to keep me stocked continuously.

We'll see what happens.

D

Dreamweaver68

I think this is a great idea and very exited about it at this point. When is this all to take place? I truly hope it really happens.

A

A Rev

Corgain, for basic weapons i would suggest;

-21 mage weap
spell channeling
13-15dic

This will keep the cost relatively low. As you can make the SC with low end runics and imbue the rest costing few[if any] ingredients.

Then bokutos. Hld/HLa/HL/ then maybe you can even tailor it to a specific need.

~For a cheap mage suit using faction arties[and Pendant of Magi] 17LRC and 7lmc mr2 is adequate on the suit then build resists.