• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Post your rig.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Right now....

AMD XP 2400+
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
old as the hills cd-rw drive that does not even work
same as above dvd rom that does work
The mother board is so old it is a grandmother board.
running two generic flat screen 22" monitors (one is wide screen)
interface... logitech G15 (the old one with 18 extra keys)
logitech MX518 mouse
nostromo n52 game pad
The rest is just depressing...

Very soon this will be arriving.

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core) Factory Overclocked to 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Intel X58 Chipset (Features: 6 Memory Slots, Firewire, eSATA, Gigabit LAN)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Power Supply: 750W
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My latest creation from NewEgg (I just updated the drives):

Case: Thermaltake Armor+MX
Power: Thermaltake TR2 W0176RU 1000 Watt
Motherboard: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (currently OC'ed to around 3.6. I see no need to push it right now)
Memory: OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Boot Drive: Patriot Warp SSD v3 256GB
Data Drive: 3 Western Digital WS20EADS 2TB (RAID 5)
Monitor: LG W2453V-PF 24" 2ns Full HD 1080P Widescreen
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse Microsoft SideWindoer HKA-00001 Wired Mouse
Video Card(s): 2 EVGA Co-OP Edition GTX 295 1,702MB
HSF: Akasa Nero AK-967

It's a bit overkill for UO, but that's not the only game I play. I'm also doing some Windows Tool development. I'm about to bring it down to install Windows 7 on it. It's had Window Vista since I got it 3 weeks ago.

My other systems are stock Dell boxes. My current laptop is a Lenovo T61. I'm not very fond of laptops, so I won't bother getting anything better for now.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run UO through Wine on Linux running under the bochs x86 emulator on the Dreamcast.

...Ok, not really.

But I could.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:postpics:

If you have a pretty setup post a pic!

I like looking at some of the custom cse jobs out there.

I will post my setup when I get home.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
As soon at it arrives... Count on it!

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Fear the power of my laptop.

My main PC's hooked up to the TV, and not in an ideal mouse/keyboarding location.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Q9550 intel quad core 2.83. I change its clock daily almost if im doing rendering.
BFG Nvidia 285 GTX 1gig DDR3 (pic is an 8800)
Evga 780i mobo
8 gigs ram.
900 watt PSU
Pretty soon i'll have another raptor in here and dual boot windows 7
picture

T

Tazar

Q9550 intel quad core 2.83. I change its clock daily almost if im doing rendering.
Evga 780i mobo
8 gigs ram.
900 watt PSU
picture
Looks like you need to tune that Flux Capacitor a little more... :p

R

Rykus

It's not bleeding edge, but it serves me quite well:

Intel 8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz (OC'd to 3.5GHz - very stable with air cooling)
4GB DDR2-1066 RAM
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
ASUS 9600 GT Nvidia Video Card with 512 MB RAM
Vista 64 Business (free from work, thought I'd give it a try)
1 - 250 GB HD - OS
2 - 1 TB HD's - mass storage
Dual Layer DVD burner
SuperDLT drive to back it all up

Here is the case:

It plays UO well, and a few 3D games like Fallen Earth, DDO, and AoC.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, the rig of doom

Generic all metal tan case
Asus m4a79 deluxe mobo
AMD phenom II 955 black edition CPU, 4 cores at 3.20ghz
16gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800
GeForce GTX 285 2gb ddr3
1tb HD
OCZ 1000w power supply to fuel the beast
8 or so 120mm fans I pulled out of an old compaq proliant case and bubba'ed into mine
Running vista ultimate x64 with 6 virtual machines of various flavors I can start to test/run two or more accounts/VPN to work/what have you

it sounds like a vacuum cleaner before the speed control for the fans kicks in, but it runs pretty cool too...

R

Rykus

Ok, the rig of doom

Generic all metal tan case
Asus m4a79 deluxe mobo
AMD phenom II 955 black edition CPU, 4 cores at 3.20ghz
16gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800
GeForce GTX 285 2gb ddr3
1tb HD
OCZ 1000w power supply to fuel the beast
8 or so 120mm fans I pulled out of an old compaq proliant case and bubba'ed into mine
Running vista ultimate x64 with 6 virtual machines of various flavors I can start to test/run two or more accounts/VPN to work/what have you

it sounds like a vacuum cleaner before the speed control for the fans kicks in, but it runs pretty cool too...
Sounds like a nice setup there. My next purchase will be a Phenom II, specifically to run ESXi (VMware's free version of their bare-metal hypervisor). I've read very good things about the Phenom II when it comes to virtual machine performance. I currently run VMware workstation 6.5 on my PC, and in it I am running my domain controller/DNS/WINS machine on Win2k3 Enterprise. Ya, it's kind weird booting up my workstation, THEN booting up the server in a VM, but it's saved me a bunch on electricity, since my physical server was a dual Athlon MP 2800+, 4 x 250 GB HDs (RAID 5), with about a dozen fans to keep it cool. I would imagine it sounded quite a bit like your current rig does. :) I replaced that physical PC by converting it to a VM, and replaced the RAID 5 stack with 2 - 1TB drives. The reduction in noise, and energy has been tremendous, despite the oddity of booting the server after the workstation. heh

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like you have a solid setup to run it on

I use the Citrix VM solution. I am xenserver enterprise certified, and get free licenses for all the xen apps. Very robust as long as you have x64 hardware with hardware virtualization support.

B

Beer_Cayse

Here is the case:

Man! I just took delivery of the same thing in blue!

Current:
Asus A7N266-VM/AA mobo
AMD Athlon 64 2000+ (1.8ghz)
512MB PC2100 RAM
ATi Radeon 9000 Pro AGP 8x (128MB)
WD 320GB IDE HD
LiteOn CD/RW
LiteOn DVD/RW-CD/RW combo drive
Antec case with 380w PSU that's dying

-----
Took delivery today:
Raidmax Smilodon but in blue lighting
Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P mobo
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3.0ghz)
4GB Kingston DDR2-1066 RAM (2x2 sticks)
Asus EN8400GS vid (512MB - NVidia Geforce 8400)

HDD and opticals will be swapped into the new setup - with the HDD converted to SATA. Will retain keyboard (Logitech G15 Gaming), mouse (Logitech) and Monitor (ViewSonic 1942 19" widescreen LCD).

If lucky it'll be up and running tonight, else darn early tomorrow. Soon as I'm done here am offloading all current video and mobo utilities for the new ones. <shrug>

R

Rykus

:)

It's a great case for the $$. The blue looks sweet, but this green looks like something out of a BORG vessel when the lights are out.

R

Rykus

Sounds like you have a solid setup to run it on

I use the Citrix VM solution. I am xenserver enterprise certified, and get free licenses for all the xen apps. Very robust as long as you have x64 hardware with hardware virtualization support.
That's something I wish I had some exposure to. I've been a VMware guy since the workstation version was in .8 beta. Then I built a VMware Infrastructure implementation from the ground up, and was sold on their enterprise solution(s). I've never heard anything negative about the xen hypervisor, and hope to check it out at some point.

The next decade will be very interesting from a VM perspective. The lines are definitely being drawn, and sides being chosen. I believe VMware has an edge right now, largely because of their head-start on the competition, but the war has only just truly begun.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye and war it is... Citrix is now offering Xenserver 5.5 enterprise for free. The only time you have to buy a license is if you want high availability and hardware scaling.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Evga 780i mobo
8 gigs ram.
900 watt PSU
picture
Looks like you need to tune that Flux Capacitor a little more... :p
I heart my heat sink/ flux compacitor.
I have it clocked at 88 MPH.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, nothing absolutely fabulous, but it gets the job done:

Athlon Dual Core 3800+
2GB Ram
Nvidia 9500GT 1GB
Vista Home Basic

Computer 2:
MacBook Pro v3,1 Santa Rosa
2GB Ram
Runs KR and 2d through wine, also Dual boots to Ubuntu JJ
MacOS 10.5

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's something I wish I had some exposure to. I've been a VMware guy since the workstation version was in .8 beta. Then I built a VMware Infrastructure implementation from the ground up, and was sold on their enterprise solution(s). I've never heard anything negative about the xen hypervisor, and hope to check it out at some point.

The next decade will be very interesting from a VM perspective. The lines are definitely being drawn, and sides being chosen. I believe VMware has an edge right now, largely because of their head-start on the competition, but the war has only just truly begun.
We converted almost our entire datacenter to ESX over the last two years. I deployed VMWare View in March and I have to say it rocks! I'm currently working on converting our old Windows Desktops into Linux Network diskless PC's to be used as Thin Clients. Re-using existing old hardware is alot cheaper than buying a bunch of Wyse or HP thin Client devices.

VMWare Workstation is a powerful tool. I still use it for hosting my test machines. The snapshot manager is alot easier to use in Workstation than View/VDI.

We'll be upgrading the back-end to vSphere next year.

R

Rykus

I agree, VMware, regardless of flavor, is a dream to work with. Before I started contracting, my last major project was to implement VMware Infrastructure (ESX) 3.5 using an EMC SAN, on a nice little 8-way (dual quad core) Xeon box. Each of our three major sites had an identical box/SAN like that, and we converted about 100 physical machines onto them as VMs. They still had LOTS of resources to spare, and they are still running flawlessly now 2 years later. The only servers we left as physical machines were the Exchange 2007, and a couple intense SQL servers. Everything else migrated with absolutely zero issues, and it just friggin' worked - beautiful!

That migration was hands down the easiest, most enjoyable project I'd ever been involved with. To say I'm a VMware fanboi, barely scratches the surface of it. I just went to a Vspehere 4 seminar a week or so ago, and I honestly don't know how anyone else can even compete in the VM/hypervisor realm at this point. Xen is the only other one I even feel is a contender, but I'm largely ignorant of it, other than what I've read. I did see an interesting article last night though, speaking about market share. It said VMware has about 130,000 paying customers, with about 30% of their business being large enterprises heavily vested in their Vi3/Vsphere products, with the rest being VMware Workstation sales. Their closest competitor is Citrix Xenserver, with about 5,000 implementations, most of which are the free version.

As I said previously, the war is just beginning, and I look forward to the future of this technology. I can't wait until I gt my new Phenom II box to run ESXi (the free version) for my home lab. I currently use Workstation 6.5, which is OK, but am anxious to get these VMs moved to dedicated hardware.

B

Beer_Cayse

I'm typing faster now at 3ghz!! <chuckle> Had some issues after I loaded vid drivers for the PCiX card. Windows would not come up - forced a full repair from the install CD and it's going fine now!

That case is soooo gorgeous when the lights are down low. Had fun trying to route cabling and wires around so fans weren't blocked, but the effort was worth it. I'd have gotten the green but it clashed with the blue backlight of the keyboard! :p

Now gotta shutdown and shlep the new box into the final home for it - my desk. Am using the wifes net connect (near my work area) to test it out.

Good luck in here ... both of ya!

R

Rykus

Congrats on the new box!

My typing speed increased from 42 wpm to speeds in excess of 46 wpm when I built this beast here! Well worth the money, eh? I'm hoping that a quad, or octo-core will get me going at over 50 wpm in the future!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I built mine back in March.

Intel core duo E8500 3.16 GHZ
4 gig ram
Nvidida GeForce GTX 260
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Samsung DVD drive
Case with blue lights
Visa Ultimate

Fios connection 20meg down 5 meg up

PS Rykus don't tell them about my closeted GEEK skill on the siege board because Just because i can screw together hardware don't mean i know how to fix software problems
and i might need Skylarks help :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
T

TheGrayGhost

lol Nice.

As far as my rig, the one I'm on right now is one of my work comps.

i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67GHz
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Vista 64bit
ATI 4800 HD series

Keyboard, 4k DPI mouse and an Intuos 4 hooked up to it.

Solely my work, Browse, Chat comp, gaming rig is a bit beefier lol.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I recently made the decision to buy an actual gaming computer. After toying with building my own, and pricing out the components, my decision was pushed along by seeing an already built system on the Dell Outlet with nearly the exact hardware, for slightly less cost and a 3 year warranty. I have had great experiences with Dell refurb computers in the past, and jumped on that, really excited.

This is the system I bought:

Intel Quad Core 3.0 GHz processor, 12MB cache
1,024 GB ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card
4 GB DDR2 RAM
500GB SATA hard drive 7,500 RPM
750W power supply
Dual DVD/RW drives
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate with additional XP Pro downgrade license

However, once I received it, found it had major problems, constant random reboots & lockups, and the utility partition appeared to be corrupted, and the restore CDs had been overlooked when it shipped. What should have been a simple support issue to repair or replace with Dell turned into a nightmare spanning multiple weeks, and ended with me returning the system, on the condition that a manager would submit a replacement order for a NEW system with matching hardware at the same cost.

What actually happened was Dell pulled a switcheroo on me. What they actually sent me was an Intel Core2 DUO 3.0 GHz system (processor is easily half the cost of the one I sent back) and 1 DVD/RW drive. The packing list was utterly baffling - there were only Dell bundle references, no component itemization. I am embarassed that I didn't delve into the hardware via the operating system device manager, and confirm at least the processor model/cores & RAM, but I assumed that "matching hardware" meant just that, and I just looked at the GHz on the processor & total RAM. Of course I noticed right away the missing DVD drive and called about that...after several hours of frustration, I finally got a credit for the cost of the missing drive. It was only more than a month later when I was poking around in the hardware specs that I saw the processor model and said, wait, that can't be right...E8400 is way below Q9500 in Intel processors. Unfortunately that is what is in my system, and Dell says because it is outside the 21 day customer satisfaction window, I lose. No matter that the entire reason for the return/replacement which THEY suggested, was meant to get me a COMPARABLE functional system. The rep had the audacity to say that I got a much cheaper (and more power hungry) processor because I got a new system as opposed to the refurbished system I returned. Huh? What happened to "comparable hardware"? I didn't need a Dell manager to randomly spec a new system for me at the same price, without having to override the pricing difference. I could have done that myself!

Ah well, live and learn. I got burned, but may still write a long and no doubt to-be-ignored letter to Dell Customer Service expressing my feelings, just to have at least made known.

So...this is the system I now have:

Intel Core2 Duo 3.0 GHz processor, 6MB cache
1,024 GB ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card
4 GB DDR2 RAM
500GB SATA hard drive 7,500 RPM
750W power supply
Single DVD/RW drive
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate with additional XP Pro downgrade license

:wall:

-Skylark

R

Rykus

Yet another reason I will never purchase anything else from Dell. I know there are people out there who will defend them as if they are family, but I will do everything I can to prevent someone from dealing with them. I can't say enough how much I absolutely despise that company, from the lowliest customer support rep, to Michael Dell himself.

Go ahead, you might say, tell us how you really feel...

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dell is truly the suck. As far as big box PC's, HP is the way to go in terms of hardware and support.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my computer...

Hardware
Base processor
Phenom II X4-910 (D) 2.6 GHz (95W)
4000 MHz HyperTransport 3.0
Socket AM3 Chipset

NVIDIA GeForce 9100

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Pegatron
Motherboard Name: M2N78-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Violet3-GL8E

Power supply
300W

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 8 GB PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)
Type 240 pin, DDR3

Hard drive
1 TB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
5400 rpm

DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

Wireless
802.11 a/b/g/n PCI Express x1 wireless card

Video Graphics
Radeon HD4350

* 512 MB DDR2 memory
* I/O Ports: HDMI, VGA, single-link DVI

Sound/Audio
High Definition 8-channel audio

* ALC 888S chipset

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
It is an HP Pavilion Elite e9120y

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll be running this til Christmas:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366615&type=product&id=1218092150740

After which I shall have:

Asus P6T
Intel Core i7 920
Heatsink that is as of now undecided
6GB DDR3 1600 Tri-channel RAM
RV870 (ATI's best new DirectX 11 card, not released yet)
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Antec 900

Don't know what monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers I want yet. Probably a 23" monitor at least, and a Razer kb/m combo. No idea on speakers.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Am I too old to be giddy like a school girl?

Aug 20, 2009 6:08 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery AMARILLO, TX