• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Possible to add custom tooltips to spells and in-game items?

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible? It would be nice to have an addon that could give items/monsters/spells a description. I have no experience programming addons, but if someone tells me something like this would be possible, I'd pursue it.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in my UI I've added the monsters resistances and slayer visible on the current target. I don't know what you want to see on items or spells, but if you give more details I could do it :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My idea was to just make the game more "transparent". There's so many things in the game that new players ( and even old players I'm sure ) don't know what to do with. Take for example potions - none of them say what they do. Sure, you can kinda get a general idea just by the name, but wouldn't it be better if they were actually labeled with their effect? And potions are just the tip of the iceberg.

I've always had a problem with spells in the spell book having little to no description. I know that in recent times the EC has fixed this a little bit, but still, the descriptions are so general. For instance, what's the difference between summoning a Demon, or summoning a water elemental? With an add-on, could we add a tool tip that would display the actual stats of the creature being summoned? And add actual damage done to the tool tip for things like fireball and lightning bolt?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the stats for monster is already presents in my ui, however the spell damage can be done but without counting the slayers... and the guide for items too....

I keep this idea for the version 3.6 of my ui :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's an example of what I'd like to see:

Would it be possible to make this a stand-alone mod that's easily edited? An addon that's maybe called "Verbose Descriptions" or something?There are so many items/monsters/spells in-game that it would be a huge job for just one person. If you could make it stand-alone from your UI, and make it easily editable, several people could add to this addon.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for spells is too approximative your description and totally the same of the default one :D

I thought more to put the real damage range based on your skills and the damage type. The fact that is reduced by resistances is obvious just because there are no spell which ignore the resistances :p

I can't do it as separate mod because is too invasive. However, I can make an area on my forum where people can add the description in the right format and I'll add it to the main package :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be awesome if the tool-tip could update the actual damage and cast-time based on actual stats :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the best. I'm so pumped about this addon. How can we do the item descriptions? Can they be organized in an XML file by item ID?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope, I had to do the same of monsters, there is no IO class for open external files...
If you want to start some item description, do in this manner:

Code:
[SIZE=2]["ITEMNAME"] = L"DESCRIPTION"
for each item :p
[/SIZE]

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like that inclusion in your UI, Pinco, but could you make so, that target info, that is attact to the current target bar, is closed on default? Because most of the time i don't need that info and minimize it with the arrow. But everytime I close the current target bar and then get a new one, it is back to open.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm unable to replicate this problem, when I close the details is close forever unless I re-open it...

However, next version is ready to show item descriptions so who want to partecipate it's the time to start to post in this manner:

Each item with description must have the structure like in the following example:
Code:
[SIZE=2][L"Nox Crystal"] = L"Necrotic Reagent",[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][L"Grave Dust"] = L"Necrotic Reagent",[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][L"Daemon Bone"] = L"Magic Reagent<BR>Doom Quest Item",
[/SIZE]
(<BR> is for going into a new line)

just post here and I'll expand the database :)