• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Population vs Servers ..where to move From Cats to ?

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hello

Considering a move off Cats, mostly for ingame trading/financial/lack of neat stuff for sale (opinions vary I know). Advantages of living on Cats, I can pretty much go farm anything I am able to, anytime, no waiting in line. So many places to drop an 18x18 I am having trouble deciding. Things of that nature. In general, gathering resources is ez.

If I just jumped right into say ATL, I would lose all those adv's. What are some servers that lie somewhere in between? Please note: I am not saying anything about Catskills is bad, just not suitable for me and my tastes. I never plan to be a billionaire, but I absolutely would if I could, no doubt. I am content, except I fear I will likely become bored at the same point I did last time, which was I had mats stockpiled, began to learn how to craft higher end things profitably, then realized it was hard to sell things here. As far as what I got my hands on, or crafted, most folks have better, there are lots of 'Whales' here. Translation: A Buick is a fine car, and gets the job done, but why would a woman who already owns a Ferrari want one?

So far I have heard Chessy might be more to my liking. But since I lost everything to my IDOC, I will probably stay on Cats and stockpile mats that I can farm up, before moving anywhere. Sorry about the stream-of-consciousness style narrative here, it is difficult for me to organize my thoughts unless I am lecturing, presenting, of playing with numbers. (Well, I used to see numbers in math problems hee hee) <-inside joke for and graduate math majors. I got burnt and went into Ops Research field. Analyzing data. Numbers. mmmm

A possible solution if anyone is willing, is say a Skype session where you can school me on the Meta. I can explain exactly what I have at hand, with my characters, and see how I can get myself better positioned. I have nothing that can solo champ spawns for instance. My goal would be to get to the point where I can farm as much as possible solo. It is not from being unsocial, it is not wanting to feel beholden to people that give me handouts, and not being able to bring anything to the trading table which is not already there.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're looking for a "mid-range" server you might want to check out Great Lakes.

Dabloon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ive always only ever played on Chesapeake and I dont have any official data, but while working on character building on my 3 accounts for several hours a night EST in Trammel, Felucca and Tokuno for the last several months ts very rare to see another player unless I go to Malas bank and then there usually 5 players hanging around there.

Havent spent much time in dungeons or in other areas so could be there are more there.

Encountering another player in the world is a rare enough event that both players seem to pause when it happens as if "Wow another live person"

That said I prefer the quiet environment as opposed to competing with other people for everything. I play the game to relax and if too many activities become a competition I will lose interest.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Today I logged onto Chessy at 4:00a.m Eastern time and there were 4 or 5 people sitting at the Luna bank. I couldn't believe there were folks there at such an odd time for an east coast server.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I would strongly suggest LS. Consistent PvP during prime time. A lot of public hunts in tram/malas/ish/ter mur. I placed a house within the first 5 minutes of running around in fel. Crafting is ok but needs a little attention. There are good things for sale/trade, but it could use a good crafter selling higher end items.

LS IMO is much better than Atl.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europe is pretty solid. But timezone may be an issue, but most of my closest UO friends over the years have been American players on Europe.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I will have to alt up and come visit. So many choices and responses. I will wait and see how much I enjoy things in a month or so.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Atlantic is by far the most populated server in the game, so if your looking for more activity, it's Atlantic for sure.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey buddy, Its your good ol enemy Stillborn from cats long ago. I moved most stuff to atlantic myself just for easy access to lots of stuff to train and make new chars. But for more fun, Lake Superior is the shard to play on right now. Lots of PvP, easy to farm stuff and its much better then dealing with the nonsense of atlantic. Provincia and them play with me on LS as well. Come by and see for yourself.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hello

Considering a move off Cats, mostly for ingame trading/financial/lack of neat stuff for sale (opinions vary I know). Advantages of living on Cats, I can pretty much go farm anything I am able to, anytime, no waiting in line. So many places to drop an 18x18 I am having trouble deciding. Things of that nature. In general, gathering resources is ez.

If I just jumped right into say ATL, I would lose all those adv's. What are some servers that lie somewhere in between? Please note: I am not saying anything about Catskills is bad, just not suitable for me and my tastes. I never plan to be a billionaire, but I absolutely would if I could, no doubt. I am content, except I fear I will likely become bored at the same point I did last time, which was I had mats stockpiled, began to learn how to craft higher end things profitably, then realized it was hard to sell things here. As far as what I got my hands on, or crafted, most folks have better, there are lots of 'Whales' here. Translation: A Buick is a fine car, and gets the job done, but why would a woman who already owns a Ferrari want one?

So far I have heard Chessy might be more to my liking. But since I lost everything to my IDOC, I will probably stay on Cats and stockpile mats that I can farm up, before moving anywhere. Sorry about the stream-of-consciousness style narrative here, it is difficult for me to organize my thoughts unless I am lecturing, presenting, of playing with numbers. (Well, I used to see numbers in math problems hee hee) <-inside joke for and graduate math majors. I got burnt and went into Ops Research field. Analyzing data. Numbers. mmmm

A possible solution if anyone is willing, is say a Skype session where you can school me on the Meta. I can explain exactly what I have at hand, with my characters, and see how I can get myself better positioned. I have nothing that can solo champ spawns for instance. My goal would be to get to the point where I can farm as much as possible solo. It is not from being unsocial, it is not wanting to feel beholden to people that give me handouts, and not being able to bring anything to the trading table which is not already there.
If you decide to go to Pacific I probably have a castle in Fel for you. ICQ me so we can decide on a price 95129146

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today I logged onto Chessy at 4:00a.m Eastern time and there were 4 or 5 people sitting at the Luna bank. I couldn't believe there were folks there at such an odd time for an east coast server.
Were they there talking or just AFK.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Loren I visit Cats and Chessy, all the east coast shards and there is no real difference between Cats and Chessy GL and LS are more populated than Cats and Chessy, that isn't saying much and Atl has then all beat. I have started new Toons on Cats, people there are glad to help, and so far I have enjoyed myself. Kind of feels like when I started UO almost 18 yrs ago most people willing to help anyway they can. Stay on Cats and try to hook up with some people on your shard with shard shields to get your stuff.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hey buddy, Its your good ol enemy Stillborn from cats long ago. I moved most stuff to atlantic myself just for easy access to lots of stuff to train and make new chars. But for more fun, Lake Superior is the shard to play on right now. Lots of PvP, easy to farm stuff and its much better then dealing with the nonsense of atlantic. Provincia and them play with me on LS as well. Come by and see for yourself.
I do not remember you at all. The only people I remember from 'way back' are Sparhawk, Omicron, Sarin, and SevenofNine from GoL, and none of them play anymore. Oh and Goku, JustinTyme (sp?). Thats about it. Used to be called DirtyOldMan so if you remember a Loren, its not me. I just changed my name recently.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Pain in the you-know to look around, couldnt find the rune library (there is one ATL and CATS in front east Luna, runebooks to everywhere u can think of). Many threads on lag spikes LS. How about GL and Chessy, do they have rune libraries?

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I would suggest great lakes. Its the best of both worlds. You can farm about anything you want most of the time but there are also people more than willing to join you. Plus lots of player ran events like auctions, net tosses, harbringers invaded vesper the other night, stuff like that. Its not hard to find an 18x18 spot either. I love shopping on Atlantic but I could never move to a shard like that, not after seeing the benefits of a nice small community shard.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
There is a rune library on great lakes. GV library? Or GoF? Not sure which. I'd be more than happy to take anyone who needs a rune marked there.