• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pop shot lameness at peerless

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta love the hide/stealth trammies that popshot the new peerless just as its about to die, to get looting rights and a chance at an artifact. They're hidden all along as you slave away, and popshot a few AIs and gone again. Its so wrong...damage done should be a determinant in artifact drops or move these artifacts into Fel.

S

Smokin

LOL yeah, that sounds like a Trammie tactic, sounds more like a Fel champ raider tactic.

V

Victoria Navarre

LOL yeah, that sounds like a Trammie tactic, sounds more like a Fel champ raider tactic.
Yep that right there is a tried and true 'fel'on tactic. Let someone else do the work and just jump in on the boss to collect the reward.

C

Coragin

They have been doing stuff like this forever. Like I do ilsh champs when my guild isint on and dont you know just about the time a champ pops 4-6 of them show up to "Help".

Irritates me on Oaks, because most of them dont know what to do with Oaks. So while I am busy killing the queen, some turd runs up and attacks oaks and starts getting his butt whipped and runs all over everyone around and oaks Holy Lighting agros and kills everyone. Well except me.

Even funnier when they stand in front of me OooOOoOO. Im like No, maybe next time you wont come rush a champ that you didnt help spawn. And you know they are that dumb because there are those angel guys right there who will res them. lol

W

Whinemaker

I don't have UOSA, but don't you get to fight those peerless bosses all by yourself?

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
atleast they changed it so you have no chance at the replica if you do that, you have to work the spawn to get it.

you can still snipe a scroll tho.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a Fel tactics I agree, only when executed in tram, the grief-er is in GOD MODE.

In fel you can KILL THEM or BE KILLED. rolleyes:

R

Reximus

Gotta love the hide/stealth trammies that popshot the new peerless just as its about to die, to get looting rights and a chance at an artifact. They're hidden all along as you slave away, and popshot a few AIs and gone again. Its so wrong...damage done should be a determinant in artifact drops or move these artifacts into Fel.
Just imagine if they put power scrolls in trammel like popps etc want, it'll look like peak hour luna of people waiting for you to spawn the champ.

S

Sonoma

Peerless. Bosses. By yourself.

So many things wrong with that question.
Worst. Logic. Ever.

Lets see, peerless means no "peer". So if there is only one third grader in a school of 500 kids, then that third grader is peerless. This does not mean that they are the smartest being alive and nobody in the universe can comprehend their greatness.

Dreadhorn is not like Shimering, Lady M is not like Grizzle. Each one is very different and requires different tactics. They are all peerless. My character is LEGENDARY in multiple skills. "Legendary", as in the stuff of legends... there is no reason, fictional or logical, that a Legendary character should not be able to solo a peerless monster.

So sick of that weak argument.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just imagine if they put power scrolls in trammel like popps etc want, it'll look like peak hour luna of people waiting for you to spawn the champ.
You mean like it was when champ spawns first came out and the reds had not organized into spawn babysitters? I have a feeling the trammies would complain just like everyone complains about everything anyway.

LOLZ at OP for accusing trammies of being stealth ninjas. I've been playing this game since fall 98 and this is how UO works. The game is and always will be geared to promote this behavior. It could easily be fixed but that is not a priority for our teams.

S

Sonoma

What they should do is something like this...

Take the number of people at the peerless when it spawns plus 50%. Divide the peerless hit points by that number. Then increase each players odds of an arti drop as their damage done approaches that number. More then one person can receive an arti.

Ex) If a peerless has 100,000 hit points and there are 10 people killing it, then the amount of damage each person has to do to get the highest chance at an artis is 100,000/15= 6,667points of damage.

Now, if the max chance at an arti you can get is a 5% drop rate, then scale it according to how much of that damage they did. If they did 6,667 points of damage or more, then they get a 5% chance at a drop, if they did 3,334 points of damage they get a 2.5% chance at a drop. If they poped out and hit it once at the end for 60 points of damage, then they get 0.0045% chance at an arti.

This way, the more people that are there, the better. No more whining and crying about people not helping out. Theoretically all 10 people could get an arti off the same peerless, though it would be extremely unlikely. Those that hide and dont pull their fair share are only hurting themselves, and will actually want to work hard and do as much damage as possible to be sure they get the best chance at an arti. This would encourage people to work together, and if someone was still trying to be a jerk and only do a tiny bit of damage at the end, they would only be hurting themselves, and still actually helping the others. It would also allow for a pretty wide variance in individual skill without allowing those that cant pull their fair share of work to mooch of those that do.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This way, the more people that are there, the better. No more whining and crying about people not helping out. Theoretically all 10 people could get an arti off the same peerless, though it would be extremely unlikely. Those that hide and dont pull their fair share are only hurting themselves, and will actually want to work hard and do as much damage as possible to be sure they get the best chance at an arti. This would encourage people to work together, and if someone was still trying to be a jerk and only do a tiny bit of damage at the end, they would only be hurting themselves, and still actually helping the others. It would also allow for a pretty wide variance in individual skill without allowing those that cant pull their fair share of work to mooch of those that do.
A system like this would make so much sense and seems like it wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult to program. However, it seems like the UO team (especially lately) seems to delight in introducing stuff that pits players against each other in situations where they can't do anything about it.

I'm guessing the team is doing this on purpose. Could it be that they think doing this gives some folks something new to bicker about instead of resuming their perpetual whining about being bored? Or does the team think some people will finally let all that pent-up resentment and anger goad them into going to Fel to try to find some punks to smash? Or do they just secretly look down their noses at us and laugh at how pathetic we all are sometimes? Surely if we were all as tough as we make out to be, we'd be doing this in Fel and would take care of the problem players ourselves, right? If we were all playing on a "classic shard," OMG no more problems like this, right?

Perhaps they do it for all these reasons.

Or maybe the ones making the final decisions don't play enough to really understand what happens in the game. They just tell the developers and programmers to get the new stuff in place and they'll finesse it "later." Who cares if the casual players end up being endlessly frustrated. As long as the folks who can play all day long and keep their vendors stocked with new stuff and make mega-millions in the process are happy, it's all good, right? All those casual players who can't make themselves stop drooling over the thought of new must-have items but lack the time to farm them and the gold to buy them can just trot themselves over to the game code store and buy a token to sell in-game on the Luna vendor they leave sitting empty 51 weeks out of the year. Voila! Instant millionaire! EA's coffers are a little bit fuller, a merchant or two or three that worked so hard to get the item into the end-user's hands are happy over the gold they made, and the poor pixel-crack addicted end-user finally has what he wants. Super-duper instant uberness.

Just don't forget to insure it, sucker.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Take the number of people at the peerless when it spawns plus 50%. Divide the peerless hit points by that number. Then increase each players odds of an arti drop as their damage done approaches that number. More then one person can receive an arti.

Ex) If a peerless has 100,000 hit points and there are 10 people killing it, then the amount of damage each person has to do to get the highest chance at an artis is 100,000/15= 6,667points of damage.

Now, if the max chance at an arti you can get is a 5% drop rate, then scale it according to how much of that damage they did. If they did 6,667 points of damage or more, then they get a 5% chance at a drop, if they did 3,334 points of damage they get a 2.5% chance at a drop. If they poped out and hit it once at the end for 60 points of damage, then they get 0.0045% chance at an arti.

THIS!!! :please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please:

S

Stupid Miner

mooch of those that do.
Problem with this is it favors heavy damage templates that don't actually contribute much other than the speed it drops.
A good example would be archers. Tons of damage, and leave the tanking to other classes.

And it marginalizes the contributions of people who do more to help out. Such as healers.

U

UOKaiser

Worst. Logic. Ever.

Lets see, peerless means no "peer". So if there is only one third grader in a school of 500 kids, then that third grader is peerless. This does not mean that they are the smartest being alive and nobody in the universe can comprehend their greatness.

Dreadhorn is not like Shimering, Lady M is not like Grizzle. Each one is very different and requires different tactics. They are all peerless. My character is LEGENDARY in multiple skills. "Legendary", as in the stuff of legends... there is no reason, fictional or logical, that a Legendary character should not be able to solo a peerless monster.

Agree with you 100% Peerless means they have nobody the same as them. Our legendary characters are not as strong as a peerless but doesn't mean we can't beat them and that we need peers to beat a peerless lol.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should just put the new peerless chars in a Fel ruleset so when they try to do tht you kill them and protect what is yours. Since it is all in tram ruleset they are doing nothign wrong.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should just put the new peerless chars in a Fel ruleset so when they try to do tht you kill them and protect what is yours. Since it is all in tram ruleset they are doing nothign wrong.
The trammel ruleset is not an excuse to be a ******bag much to the horror of so many UHall posters. This is a design failure not a playstyle failure.

S

Stupid Miner

Agree with you 100% Peerless means they have nobody the same as them. Our legendary characters are not as strong as a peerless but doesn't mean we can't beat them and that we need peers to beat a peerless lol.
*shrugs* "Peerless" is just a name.

A name is an intended representation of reality, not an actual.
I could name myself "Undefeated" but it wouldn't be mean anything.

U

UOKaiser

*shrugs* "Peerless" is just a name.

A name is an intended representation of reality, not an actual.
I could name myself "Undefeated" but it wouldn't be mean anything.
Tell that to the players who think they were supposed to need a group at all times. If you can do it solo do it solo it's the true test of your skills.

S

Stupid Miner

Er, sorry, unclear, wasn't trying to imply that was the position you held, was more replying to others through the phrasing of your statement.
(though i should have paid more attention to all I was quoting)

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want your cake and want to eat it too. Thats part of what makes the Fel rulesset so fun. If you think somethings yours, you defend it and kill anyone who tries to take it. Part of living in a carebear world is loving everyone, even the ones who you think are "******bags"

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want your cake and want to eat it too.
How do you eat cake you DON'T have?

Why do you have cake and not eat it?

Trammal isn't about "loving everyone." Logic fail.

Trammal is about focusing on PvM interactions, RP (where applicable), essentially, everything, without the risk of PvP interactions because, well, some people just don't like fighting other players, but will be happy to play with them, or sell to them. It's a playstyle, grow up.

Fel isn't just about PvP, Fel is about risk vs reward. Just because you prefer this playstyle, doesn't mean that anyone who prefers the other playstyle lacks intelligence.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst. Logic. Ever.

Wow. Miss the point much?

He asked is 'peerless bosses' could be soloed, not any of the crap you prattled on about.

And of course there is a reason, completely OOC and completely logical, for why they require more than one person to take down. UO is an MMO, not a single player game. If the bosses can be soloed then the Devs aren't doing their jobs. Bosses promote grouping, grouping promotes camaraderie, and camaraderie promotes the slim chance of UO retaining subs longer than 14 days.

If you want soloable bosses, then UO is not the game for you... Nor is any other MMO – unless you like playing well below your “level.”

Your logic = fail of the whiny cry-baby-hand-me-eveything-on-a-silver-platter variety.

S

Sonoma

You want your cake and want to eat it too. Thats part of what makes the Fel rulesset so fun. If you think somethings yours, you defend it and kill anyone who tries to take it. Part of living in a carebear world is loving everyone, even the ones who you think are "******bags"

How do you eat cake you DON'T have?

Why do you have cake and not eat it?

Trammal isn't about "loving everyone." Logic fail.

Trammal is about focusing on PvM interactions, RP (where applicable), essentially, everything, without the risk of PvP interactions because, well, some people just don't like fighting other players, but will be happy to play with them, or sell to them. It's a playstyle, grow up.

Fel isn't just about PvP, Fel is about risk vs reward. Just because you prefer this playstyle, doesn't mean that anyone who prefers the other playstyle lacks intelligence.
LoL... :owned:

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Owned so badly...ouch I am devestated. I solved you whiners' problem. But it is not the solution you guys want. I think trammel players mostly want to just whine and cry. Its a skill they GM in a day or two. If any 120s should drop in trammel it should be 120 Whining and 120 Crying for sure...

If you dont like the way tram works, play in fel. If you dont like the way fel works, play in tram. Problem solved...if you guys are trying to solve a problem that is...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Owned so badly...ouch I am devestated. I solved you whiners' problem. But it is not the solution you guys want. I think trammel players mostly want to just whine and cry. Its a skill they GM in a day or two. If any 120s should drop in trammel it should be 120 Whining and 120 Crying for sure...

If you dont like the way tram works, play in fel. If you dont like the way fel works, play in tram. Problem solved...if you guys are trying to solve a problem that is...

Sorry, no.. I play in Tram, almost exclusively.. Even though I have two houses in Fel.. *shrugs* Yay storage. I don't want easy bosses though, I understand what 'boss' means and think they should be difficult.

Some of these people want things handed to them on a silver platter on either facet. They don't get MMOs, and never will. Let them whine about needing a group.

W

Whinemaker

I think he meant that the boss is instanced so that only you and your party can kill it.

I dont think he meant to actually solo the boss :)
there are no keys needed for navery or the slasher of veils, they just wander around in there areas
Yeah that's exactly what I meant.
Like, you get the "room" all to yourself and your party for the duration of the fight.
So I guess Navery and the Slasher are not really "peerless" by UOML definition then.

He asked is 'peerless bosses' could be soloed
No I didn't. I was just curious how someone could possibly walk by and whack the boss he was fighting because I thought they were supposed to be locked in a room together or something (see above).

Nothing to see now, let's move back to the kill-stealing topic...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He asked is 'peerless bosses' could be soloed
No I didn't. I was just curious how someone could possibly walk by and whack the boss he was fighting because I thought they were supposed to be locked in a room together or something (see above).

Nothing to see now, let's move back to the kill-stealing topic...

Uhm, then your writing leaves something to be desired...

I don't have UOSA, but don't you get to fight those peerless bosses all by yourself?

Like context, as you didn't mention whackage or locked rooms. *shrugs*

W

Whinemaker

Like context, as you didn't mention whackage or locked rooms. *shrugs*
Did I have to?
The room thing is pretty much common sense anyway (you have done peerless before haven't you?), plus the original post is about some stranger showing up from nowhere and started kill stealing so I didn't think I needed to elaborate.

And honestly, if at least 2 people managed to figure out what I meant I don't think the problem is with my writing. *shrugs*

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I have to?
The room thing is pretty much common sense anyway (you have done peerless before haven't you?), plus the original post is about some stranger showing up from nowhere and started kill stealing so I didn't think I needed to elaborate.

And honestly, if at least 2 people managed to figure out what I meant I don't think the problem is with my writing. *shrugs*
There is no such thing as kill stealing, you do not "own" that monster do you?

W

Whinemaker

There is no such thing as kill stealing, you do not "own" that monster do you?
No you don't. I just said that because I don't know enough game related lingo to describe what I was trying to say.

I should have used "pop-shot", I just didn't know how to fit that into a sentence.
Is "some stranger showing up from nowhere and started pop-shooting" better?
Pop-shooting??
Urgh.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No you don't. I just said that because I don't know enough game related lingo to describe what I was trying to say.

I should have used "pop-shot", I just didn't know how to fit that into a sentence.
Is "some stranger showing up from nowhere and started pop-shooting" better?
Pop-shooting??
Urgh.
Why does it matter if he pop shots...he has every right to attack that monster whenever he pleases. He is doing nothing wrong...I fail to see the problem here. ;)

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does it matter if he pop shots...he has every right to attack that monster whenever he pleases. He is doing nothing wrong...I fail to see the problem here. ;)
it speaks of character or the lack of... a griefer will always find a way to cause grief no matter the patch.

W

Whinemaker

Well tell that to the original poster ;)

I was just saying:
1) To my knowledge that by UOML definition, peerless fights = you gather keys, you (and your party) get teleported to an isolated part of the dungeon/map and you fight until either one of you drop or quit.
2) I read the first post and the OP talked about someone else attacking the "peerless".
3) Because he was talking about "peerless" I thought EA changed the way peerless fights work in UOSA (i.e. all open, no more isolated room etc). I wouldn't have known because I don't have UOSA.
4) Zayin666 helped me rephrase what I meant. Otis came and answered my question.
5) After that I tried to clean up the mess I left behind because Martyna probably thought my writing was a bit too unclear, and then I somehow ended up getting myself into another mess (thus this conversation) because I thought you meant the term "kill-stealing" wasn't what I should use to paraphrase what I thought the OP meant in his post.

So yeah.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Character is not a requirement to play UO, in tram or in fel. Some may look down upon those who try to hog all the new boss farming to themselves as bad character, no?

I just find it funny that everyone hates fel but there is a reason in fel this would not be a problem at all. Ironic to an extent. No one wants to get raided but on the same token they want to kill the idiot attacking the boss after its redlined...am I the only one who finds this a little on the funny side? *chuckle*

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Character is not a requirement to play UO, in tram or in fel. Some may look down upon those who try to hog all the new boss farming to themselves as bad character, no?

I just find it funny that everyone hates fel but there is a reason in fel this would not be a problem at all. Ironic to an extent. No one wants to get raided but on the same token they want to kill the idiot attacking the boss after its redlined...am I the only one who finds this a little on the funny side? *chuckle*
that's just it though, that same person (pot shotter lol) wouldn't do that stupid s in fel. so why do it in tram under nerfed conditions ? speaks of that persons character, of course character isn't a requirement, but peoples actions define theirs. a murderer is a character who kills others, a rpg'r is a character who rpg's and a thief is a character who steals and a pot shotter is a character who griefs.

how can you relate one idiot pop shotting vs. being RAIDED by a bunch of reds to steal everything ? the solo idiot can only get so much were as the reds can stand to gain everything and then some. embrace your playstyle mbraud, don't use it as a soapbox to express your fel and tram issues.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just saying certain players play in Tram for certain protection, with protection comes the option to share monsters and loot. It actually is not an option, you MUST share unless it is a peerless boss from ML. So why cry about it? This is what the trammel style players asked for. I am not relating the idiot pop shotting to the red raiders...I am saying in fel if you want to solo a monster you have the option to defend and fight off anyone trying to come kill the boss. If you think something is yours, you kill for it, defend for it, and the choice is yours. In trammel you sacrifice that option for general protection from other players pking you. Its one or the other, so stop whining. That is fair in my eyes.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just saying certain players play in Tram for certain protection, with protection comes the option to share monsters and loot. It actually is not an option, you MUST share unless it is a peerless boss from ML. So why cry about it? This is what the trammel style players asked for. I am not relating the idiot pop shotting to the red raiders...I am saying in fel if you want to solo a monster you have the option to defend and fight off anyone trying to come kill the boss. If you think something is yours, you kill for it, defend for it, and the choice is yours. In trammel you sacrifice that option for general protection from other players pking you. Its one or the other, so stop whining. That is fair in my eyes.
solo and fel and assuming it's one on one ? oh sure sounds like a great plan. lets be honest, fel is for group stuff if you think you have any chance to defend anything.
what if you're not rambo? why doesn't the pop shotter ask to be added to the party?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The nice thing about Fel is that you can kill that guy for doing that. People complain about reeds raiding at Champ spawns, but they seem to forget that if they were good enough, they could kill the reds and continue working the Champ.

But alas most trammies are too afraid to gather a large group and defend it.. God forbid they died and lost some pots.

There are not enough reds on any shard to defend against the mass of blues. There are also some Tram guilds that are huge who could easily control a spawn just by sheer numbers, yet they are to scared as well.

So now that you made your own bed.. (by complaining about pvp so you got trammel) your mad that people play like punks in Tram and get the benefit of receiving a reward for hardly any work.

Simple fix.... come do them in Fel.

L

Lady_Mina

Yep that right there is a tried and true 'fel'on tactic. Let someone else do the work and just jump in on the boss to collect the reward.
Or just wait till they killed him and just kills them all and loot.
Or just steal.