• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll on Client popularity

Choose the one closest to your opinion.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But at least the subscription fee keeps the typical F2P kids out.
an influx of newbs is to be awaited, but not most of them will be the right type. Most will be call of duty junkie kids to whom graphics are everything, the hardware is a thing to brag about and everyone who plays better is a cheater. They don't respect the old ways.

I always preferred the oldest scheme of "pay once yours forever" personally.
Subscription mostly keeps some of the people you used to play UO with out.

What are these "typical F2P kids" and why on earth would any of them want to play UO?
It's not like there is some horde of middle schoolers and 19 year old College bros out there, who'd love nothing more than idea of playing some late 90's MMO as soon as it goes free to play! Lack of F2P mostly succeeds in keeping away many of the people you used to play this game with.

Subscription model of UO keeps some 20 year old bro away from UO in same way the plane ticket costing 1k keeps you away from moving to Putin's Russia. " Sure, I don't like the idea of paying 1k to go to Russia...but it's not like I'd ever wanna be there anyway. "

What sort of a person even wants to try UO in this day and age? It has no appeal among people who were barely born back when UO was young. It can have decent measure of appeal among people who have ties with UO and the franchise. I recon there is like 500k-1000k people out there who are " aware" of UO in some meaningful way. Ones who'd make a note if it displayed some relevant signs of life. This is the pool from which UO needs to fish it's players out of. And I promise you, approximately 7 (seven) of those people are under 23 years of age.

I'd guesstimate about one million different people have been subscribed to UO at one time or another. F2P would go fishing mostly out of this pool. I believe it could have a pretty decent catch.I'm sure it would not revitalize the game back to some 300k actives -league, but I bet we'd be back to having like 50k people going back and forth.

UO that -pays you- dollar an hour to play it, a subscription based UO, Pay to Play UO and Free to Play UO are each equally appealing (not at all) to some 21 year old COD bro.

Last edited:

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I haven't bin talkin 'bout typical f2p kids, their pretty much nice fellas, bin talkin' 'bout typical call of duty kids, who don't respect the ol' style and pancake 'bout graphics n such.
If the game comes onto Steam whether f2p or not, them junkies gonna rush into it, do some junk there and leave (some will stay). They'll probly pancake 'bout "this game sux do we live in 80s everyone cheating killed my roxxor full-plate char" on forums and leaf, tho some'll stay to get killd in pvp and rant 'bout erryone bein' cheaters.

Subscription just isn't ol' style, nor is f2p. Ya buy it once, it yours foreva. Dixi.

Also Russia rules. Them bureaucrats and corrupt don't tho.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ There are several thosuands of games in Steam by now. No junkie is going to..rush anything. Million much more recent, very well executed F2P MMOs out there. Potential Re-release of UO would be important and tempting for those who already have connection/acctachment/memories having to do with UO and franchise. Also..

Actually...nevermind.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yeah. UO has a reputation of a great game, the junkies would come in just to prove the ones who tell that to them that they are wrong and UO is of a rather bad quality.

But anyway, hope we get less call of duty kids. Perhaps I was just too angered about Payday 2 and TF2 where it has been a large issue.

utilitron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Steam won't handle any of that for UO, though. They don't really handle any of that for any game, except codes.
Steamworks has a lot of really nice features and marketplaces and account management is just a few of them.

It would be foolish of them NOT to use the full feature set considering they will have to give around 30% of their revenue to Steam.

utilitron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If the game comes onto Steam whether f2p or not, them junkies gonna rush into it, do some junk there and leave (some will stay). They'll probly pancake 'bout "this game sux do we live in 80s everyone cheating killed my roxxor full-plate char" on forums and leaf, tho some'll stay to get killd in pvp and rant 'bout erryone bein' cheaters.
UO would be protected by VAC at that point.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have drifted off the topic of CC/EC popularity. If you folks want to continue discussing Steam, feel free to begin a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.