Poll for pettition

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
S

Strife GL

I agree that the 8th circle needs USEFULL spells, not spells that make mages MORE POWERFULL. On a side note, when I first got UO I thought the idea of regs was dumb. I still do...

Crimson Mist - the pure mage
Orlandu - the pure warrior
Strife - the tamer
Liquid Sword - the tradesman
Corrupter - the soon to be pk

L

Logos

I agree, i think mages need spells that are more useful. Who wants to be a gm fizzler of elementals(ie monster bait)

* Herald Vanyel *
Master Mage/Healer
Chesapeak-Fel.

T

The Void (XX)

I agree!

OSI please read and pay attension to this thread. It is something I'm sure you know that needs addressing.

Please sort this and we'll love you forever!!!!

A

AndrusTheGreat

Totally agree. Funny how a lowly 5th circle spell can totally outweigh a high 8th circle spell... itn't it?

S

Stonus

Has any of the members of the dev-team
viewed this thread????
If so, what is their response to it???

A

arrosto

REGS are useful for game balancing: a mage must have limited resouces to balance the shields, weapons, etc. that get broken during combat.
Unlimited casting would not be so fair.

P

Pah-Uh_Zahn

I Totally Agree. The 8th Circle spells need to be upgraded. Earthquake needs to be more powerful (Now that would be HOT!!). I like the idea of menu style summoning ("I summon a Dull copper Ele"). I hate the idea of mages working so hard to get crappy spells at the top!

S

Scotia Aensland

Ok yeah having unlimted casting wouldnt be fair using no regs. But you know what? We are looking at a 3 day GM warrior to a 1 - 2 month mage. Tamers can slaughter warrior byt the dozen. Tamers spent 1 - 2 months at NO COST. We had to spend gold they didnt. ANd they have more power. Still think no regs is lame. In DIablo2 Nobody needs regs, In D@D nobody needs regs, Warcraft the mages didnt need regs. And in all those games the weapons degrade. See so it wouldnt unbalance the game. Just make being a mage easier for Pvp. We wont have to worry about a Fencer killing us JUST CAUSE he has DSL. See considering the DSL and Cable modems No REGS WOULD BE A GODSEND.

W

webb

I'd like an 8th level spell that makes you briefly invulnerable and an invisibility spell that doesn't wear off.

A

arrosto

Becoming a GM mage takes no more than 1 week if you don't have at least 1 hour per day with the 8x8.
So, I don't catch the difficulty to become GMed, compared to a warrior.

When you have enough money you go around with at least 800 regs in your backpack so you don't have to worry anyway for them for a while. The REGS are necessary to keep the mage also expensive, otherwise it would be just a free weapon.
If in Diablo there are no regs, it doesn't mean that in UO they shouldn't exist too. Diablo was in fact too easy against the NPC (I call them like UO just for understanding purpose).

H

Heather

Yes, I'd like to see 8th-level spells like:

INVIS II - Invisibility that allows you to move (like Hide with Stealth); maybe still not allow you to attack while invisible, but at least move

SUMMON II - A higher level summon spell that would summon creatures that would be "real" creatures, i.e., non-dispelable. They wouldn't necessarily need to be super-duper creatures, but at least you could then summon SOMETHING that magic-using monsters couldn't dispel.

REGENERATE - Hit points heal up for the next 2 minutes at the same rate that mana does when actively meditation, or something like that.

MAGE DEFENSE - Combination of Reactive Armor and Protection and Magic Reflect. (of course, we should be able to do this by casting all of the individual spells, but...)

Those are just the onoes I can think of off the top of my head.

- Heather

B

Black Fang

Its about time someone stood up for us mages : ). I think they should scrap the useless spells in the 8th circle as you mentioned and give us something that we can use. Also I would like to see OSI do something with the "Bad Circle" of Spells that I have been staring at in my spellbook wondering what the @@#$@$$ is this?? for sometime now. Give us a spell that takes like 75 mana requires the caster to be gm eval and gm mage to even attempt to cast, and give a 50% chance of a one shot kill to a person with 100str. Of course this spell would have a high rate of fails to make it fair, but having the option is a nice gesture. Well I dont have all the answers, but that is my two cents.

Black Fang
Grandmaster Scholar
7x Old School Tank Mage Sonoma

T

The Void (XX)

How about a invisible with stealthing capabilities? I.e. moving whlie invisable and casting etc?

A group Extreme heal spell, completely restores health.

B

brianminucci

I absolutely agree that the summon spells are weak these days. Since Earth, Fire, Water, and Air are nothing more than carbon copies with face lifts, I liked the idea where they bunch them together in a summon elemental Spell... Mages are in definate need of some offensive 8th level spells that make the 50 mana cost worth it... I love the mind blast spell but it is funny that I can deliver more damage with that than the old eb.

So in other words... I agree!

X

Xiag

I agree.

And (because OSI always says we should) here are my ideas:

All summon spells (except BS and EV which aren't summon but combat) should be one spell, with a window that lets you pick what you summon. What you get to chose from will broaden as your skill goes up.

Spells to replace them:

1) Drain Life, a combo heal offensive spell.
2) Protection from missiles, bonus AC against Archers. Because I HATE archers.
3) Xiag's Ultimate Aura of Protection (because I'm vain)
Casts Reflect, protection, protection from missiles =) and Reactive armor on us simultaniously. We're 8th circle damn it....
4) Improved Invisibility: Lets you move while Invis.
5) Blink: Next time a mage goes into combat mode the spell kicks in. They teleport here to there, etc at random every second or two. Usually about 10 steps in a different dirction.
You might have to time your EBs but It will really mess with the fighers.

and, one extra, incase you didn't like those:

6) It was called Ottiks Tenticles in D&D (I think thats how you spell it). Tenticles spring from the ground grasping and striking at nearby creatures for damage. It would be real simple to use the corpser graphic for this. They would be stationary, but would try and hit everything nearby. Successfull hits would stand a chance of paralysing the creature/character because they would be "Grabbed".

L

Lucky Smurf

anything making the mage better im for. weve been getting nerfed over and over for a year now.

Far better is it to Dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkerd by failure.... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor surffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor Defeat..

S

Scotia Aensland

I agree on the tentacle summon.
But maybe your just new to this idea.
So wouldnt it be better to summon like
a special Reaper called a Bloodwood Tree.
It dosnt cast like normal reapers but instead
Casts Curse on everything except you and friends
and if this idea dosnt work. We could have
the Bloodwood Tree act like a normal Reaper
but have it spawn those cute little Shadow
Elementals around them that you find in
Khaldun. Spawn enough to make a small decoy while you
delay an army of whatever. And best case scenario.
Youve got the Reaper and the Little guys helping. :)

N

NavarreUO

AGREE!

As has been said - group all summons under one with polymorph style menu.

Additional Spells should be (most have already been mentioned):

1) Greater Invisibility: You can move about invisible for 2 minutes but you may not attack or cast spells. You are able to open doors but cannot perform acts that make you an aggressor or a criminal (such as stealing). After the spell wears off your body appears in the current location and you cannot cast, attack or move (except autodefend) for 10 seconds. Thus it shouldn't unbalance PvP too much. Would be a great spell to explore dungeons unmolested.

2) Restore: Same as Ultima 7 spell which restores all health to all party members including curing of poison.

3) Mystical Armor: Gives you Plate mail (30) type AR for 2 minutes.

or

3) Greater Reactive Armor: Reactive Armor that lasts for a fixed time period like 2 minutes (or maybe like 30 seconds to make it less powerful) regardless of the amount of damage absorbed.

Scry would be a great spell too - you see a picture of the rune location before you recall in to see if it is safe or not.

W

WK2-Napa

QUIT TALKING AND SAY AGREE!!

<center>

<center>/forum_images/uo/icons/biggrin.gif /forum_images/uo/icons/spin.gif /forum_images/uo/icons/alien.gif /forum_images/uo/icons/spin.gif /forum_images/uo/icons/biggrin.gif
<center><font color=red>If Im Not God Then Who Is? Is God, God? Who Is Gods' God?</font color=red>

F

Finculin

I agree! The 8th circle spells are almost useless. Res. is ok, but everything else is a waste of mana.
How about something like 'cloud kill' or 'power word-kill'? Something to make you fear GM Mages!

Finculin, H&C, of Arirang "Adventurer"
Camthalion, "GM Smith"
Beleg, "Carpenter"

I

imported_Aboo

I agree

<center>
WANTED: Dead or, well... DEAD!!!

Another Member of the Teratheron gang
</center>

D

Dangerous

One thing for sure, I hope OSI comes up with something a little bit more creative than those others back there.

the half of knowledge is knowing where to find knowledge.

C

Catriana

I agree, and to be honest why not just get rid of the summon spells altogether. What sort of magery is it to summon something then say 'all kill' and sit back and watch? may as well have been a tamer! *Cat scoffs at them*. Lets have an Arch Heal spell to compliment the Arch Cure and something else with a delay to use in a combo, I like the ice suggestion for that. And how about some way of linking what you can cast to the armour you are wearing? These Tank Mages seem to be everywhere and I'm fed up with so called swordsmen suddenly casting e-bolts and flamestrikes, lets reward those who take the time and trouble to become a real mage without hiding behind all that plate.

Catriana, Europa
May the virtues guide your path always.

H

Hydra

Most Tamers and Bards still have magery and will have the choice to use the spells. I dont get what it will achieve over the 2 strongest pvm classes?

T

TranyBoy

Nerf all 8th but Rez and EV.

Show me a milk man wearing high heals and I'll show you a dairy queen.
Krispin GL

T

T. G. Cid

hehe, yes, Ice spells... ohhhhhhh yummy!

(While we're at it, OSI should create some new music to fit in with Ice Island or the ice regions of T2A. I mean, something wintery. So many RPGs have the perfect music to these areas, but OSI just leaves me longing as I tame critters.)

Realizing that liches had become somewhat tougher, and that his internet connection was crappy, Thundergod Cid decided to get some help!
--Thundergod Cid, Master Stoic of Great Lakes

N

Novastar

I'm gonna agree, but whatever spells are put in, mages need to be much more powerful in PvM, but PvP is somewhat balanced at the moment, so any new spells shouldn't give mages a great advantage in PvP.

"Hey, ya know what's fun? Well, grab a giant roll of duct tape, taunt RoXxOrDeWd into a fight in felucca, then call a GM. Meet me at Brit bank in an hour. Oh, yeah....don't forget a camera."
*laughs evilly*

M

MeBeran

One spell like Polymorph

/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/roll.gif

/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/doh.gif

/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/uhoh2.gif
/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/uhoh.gif
Majesty Michael
www.geocities.com/cnaimh/

X

Xiag

Still agree, just thought of another nasty 8th level spell:

Recall other

MuThA KiLa: I'm gona RoXoR ur A$$.
Mage: Mani Rel Por
MuThA KiLa: Where'd the town guard come from? OOOoooOOOoo

I know it wouldn't work. But I like the thought....

B

Buffy

Did you think of the fact that offensive spells might not be very usefull really? I'm GM mage and still often fizzle ress spell (like 2 out of 3 times I think). That's not really usefull when the dude with the kryss is pounding in at you. ;) And even if you succesfully cast, it'll take half of your mana away...

I think it's a good idea to replace the elemental-spells with one that randomly creates an ellie, and maybe get rid of the Earthquake too (when do you use that, apart from on a boat, GMing magery?). But then replace them with defensive spells, maybe aura's like Diablo2s, a sort of firefield which damages everyone who is hostile towards you? Or maybe a Greater Dex spell, that'll add like 50 dex, that would revive the Tankmage a little...

E

Elyssar

I can't think of any cool new spells to replace the weak summons but I definitely agree mages need something beefier in 8th circle. Something worth wasting regs and mana on. :)