• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll: Client of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OSI needs to create a client that looks like the now cancelled ORIGIN. This would not only help bring in new people but would allow the older crowd something new to look at.

p.s. Anyone screaming about system resources needs to spend $30 and get a gig of ram or so

T

Torach

I have both the 2D and 3D clients, and definitely have more than adequate hardware specs to fulfill 3D.. What I don't have is a high speed connection (only because there is absolutely NONE in my area, and I don't live in the sticks either!) 3D on my connection is noticeably much slower than the 2D client and keeps me away from playing it.. IMHO the 3D client isn't all that much more aesthetically pleasing to me than T2A.. Also, on the occasions where I feel the need to PvP, I only have any sort of chance on the 2D client, forget about it on the 3D client...
I'm curious if any hardcore PvPers out there use the 3D client full-time...

<font color=8B0000>Torach</font color=8B0000> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sgrin.gif
<font color=CD2626>GM Magic Fisherman - [DV] Page</font color=CD2626>
<font color=00008B>Pacific</font color=00008B>

G

It doesn't end up looking like Lego-Hell™ with cross-tie foliage and stretched skins that look LESS 3d than they're supposed to.

I also want UO to maintain an isometric viewpoint instead of the camera rollercoaster the Ultima XI so "helpfully" treated everyone to.

Give me an isometric client with the graphics seen in Pool of Radiance (without the install/uninstall problems) and I'll be happy.

September 11, 2001, A new day of INFAMY... NEVER forget.

of LS [GM Mad Scientist; NMA]

D

DeadCal

Personally, I'm sick of hearing people whining about Third Dawn. I really like 3D. It runs nice and fast on my PC (no, it's not all that great, it's a 733) and the graphics look great. To me, the 2D graphics looks like something from a kiddy art class in comparison. Yes, 3D crashes sometimes but that's my only complaint. I wouldn't downgrade to 2D if you paid me.

Lady DeadCal - Warrior/healer - kill or cure
Lady TerminalCal - Tamer/Mage
Kitty DeVine - Entertainer
Jones - Miner, smith, alchemist, inscriber, all round reg furnace

T

Techno2000

You have good tastes, my friend. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.uobuy.com>ALSO: Moderator Rayaru of UOBuy.com! Click here!</a>
COMING SOON: Jedi Master Rayaru of Star Wars Galaxies!

G

*starts sleep walking at work*

Socializer 73% Killer 73% Explorer 33% Achiever 20%

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.destiny.xs3.com> Visit Our Guild Site </a>

S

shaggyrmanr

All the people out there who say that UO should go total 3D (looking like Anarchy Online) is talking rubish. You all have to admit, you go anywhere near the main bank in Britain and you get major lag. Just imagine what it would be like in 3D. Allready the people who play Anarchy Online are complaining that the main citys are no go areas. You need either ADSL or a T1 connection to get anything like a playable game in towns.

I think that they should run both clients at the same time, BUT update the 2D client inline with the 3D client.

H

Hendril

3D is the way of the future. Its expandability will cause it to win out over 2D eventually.

The 2D client may be nice, but it is not flexible. It is very rare that they can add new items, because of the amount of work, and tremendous file sizes involved in downloads.

With UO3D, it is simplistic to the extreme. The files can be downloaded quickly even by those of us who cannot get broadband access.

And speaking of that, I'd like to refute that "elitist" .

You claim UO3D is elitist, but adding to the 2D client extensively would be as well. The downloads would be so large that players like me, who are stuck on 56k modems would be screwed, to put it bluntly.

But in any event, they will move forward with 3D, because it is expandable and flexible, unlike the 2D client. That is what is important.

~I shall not leave a mark on society, I shall leave a scar.~

G

What new art? You mean coloring apples blue and naming them berries or coloring coconuts and calling them bola balls?

Swanhild

G

I would realy like the present 2d view to be capable of turning, like Simcity and Dungenkeeper. This would take away the only disavantage of the 2d view. 3d may show the world the developnent team has new programing skills but it restricts the uo audience to a fraction of those who can use 2d. There is much to be said for playing in a large gaming community.

Swanhild

Status
Not open for further replies.