• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll: Client of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is a poll about which client you would like OSI/EA to move forward with.
Its not about which client you play most atm.
We are asuming that the 2D client would gain access to Ilshenar,
but knowing this might require players to purchase a new CD.

(Thanks to Leatherfoot for the poll idea)

Old Polls:
<a target="_blank" href=http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=uouhall&Number=2282258&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&part=>Powerhour changes</a>

<font color=green> Take Care </font color=green>
<font color=green> Zayin </font color=green>

I

imported_Kahlan_Amnell

So far 2D unless OSI will be able to make their 3D client using much less resources.
And actually I still prefer this 2D isometric view. :)
Just my 0.2

Kahlan Amnell, Mother Confessor of OTE

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else get your way.

G

Decent 3D still seems to be a few years off in the future.

No contracts or deeds--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

I renounce all facet citizenshipry. *you see Cynewulf, the Man Without a Facet*

Explorer 93%, Socializer 60%, Achiever 46%, Killer 0%

S

Son Gohan

you mean your .02 cents
not 20 cents right?
anyways id like to see them continue with both and in the future merge them into one good 3d client that looks good and runs smooth
untill that time make some 2d art and send us a new cd anyone who has been playing uo for at least an year get the upgrade for shipping and handling anyone else $10 that includes shipping
as a christmas present better then any crap they will give us in game.
also people strat making charecters on every slot in every account in case they pull the same crap they did last year with charector needed to be made by so and so date to be eligible for christmas rewards!!

<font color=red><center>Look for me in Sonoma!!</font color=red></center>
<font color=blue><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gifGrey Matter (Lumberjack),Xamot & Tomax (twin mages), Videl (macer/archer)</font color=blue>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gif</center>
<font color=green><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gifNature(tamer/mage/fisher/bard), Moon Dawg(Treasure Hunter/Mule)/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif</font color=green></center>

G

.02? .20? I thought I said "2D" as in 2-Delta.

Are you trying to confuse me? I'll have you know I've been confused by MASTERS and have lived to tell the tale.

No contracts or deeds--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

I renounce all facet citizenshipry. *you see Cynewulf, the Man Without a Facet*

Explorer 93%, Socializer 60%, Achiever 46%, Killer 0%

S

Son Gohan

now im confused

<font color=red><center>Look for me in Sonoma!!</font color=red></center>
<font color=blue><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gifGrey Matter (Lumberjack),Xamot & Tomax (twin mages), Videl (macer/archer)</font color=blue>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gif</center>
<font color=green><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gifNature(tamer/mage/fisher/bard), Moon Dawg(Treasure Hunter/Mule)/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif</font color=green></center>

D

dygbi

Didn't one of the guys from Maxis or whatever the Sim blokes are called say that he and some other guys were working on ultima 2.0 using the UO2 engine.

hmmm

G

Definetly the 3D and the sooner they scrap the 2D and work solely on the 3D the better.

<center>
</center>
<center>A Nation's Prayers for the family and friends of lost ones</center>

S

Semi

I say scrap both of em & start over... Wait. They did that & changed their minds. Seriously though 3d is the way to go but I somehow doubt They'll ever refine 3d so that players move as fast as they do in the 2d client.

Hopefully they can improve on the 3d technology some more. I'm still not really pleased with a lot of things, mainly graphics, in UO3D.

Achiever 80%. Explorer 46%. Killer 40%. Socializer 33%

E

Emma_Surrock

I was really looking forward to Ultima Online 2. The graphics looked great. Well with EA i doubt they will ever let UO be on the top of there list.

Its made me wonder, what would UO be like if Richard Garriott was still around.

<center> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif I may win, I may not. But to lose is the way of the fool. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif </center>

I

imported_Davo_

i think they should rework the 3d client so it isnt the buggiest program available for sale today, because they are right 3d is much much much better in terms of adding things to the game and allowing new things for the players to do, its just that they did a eally craptastic job programming the 3d client so now everyone hates 3d

but anyways, isnt this topic kind of
?

<center>

<a target="_blank" href=http://davo016.homestead.com/files/flagbigc.jpg>My old classic sig</a></center>

G

I have to suggest 5D client. 2D is and was great so far. 3D is still bad both graphic and performance wise (though it runs smooth on my puter). 4D will get them better performance and with 5D they hopefully will have fixed the graphics too :).

<a target="_blank" href=http://uodr.stratics.com/ideas/messages/99354751525475.html>Get rid of IDOC signs.</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.uobuy.com>UO Buy - THE Auctionsite</a>

C

Chunky

The day they stop with 2D is the day I leave. 2D = good, 3D = bad. Easy enough :)

<center>

Moderator for Europa Forum
Moderator for the Merchants Forum
Hier kommt die Sonne!</center>

G

Greatfellow

Both. They won't thought for one simple reason: they don't have the caliber of artists necessary.
I'll tell you, my forte in design is not Life Drawing, but my art is steps above the crap they draw for 3D. I'll tell you that UO 2D has an impressive number of frankly Very talented renderings, and that I'd lay money down with odds, against OSI bringing that much talent to bear on their 3D graphics. And I'm flat certain they won't attempt more graphics for 2D, nor rival the existing ones.

Hell, even their dialog windows stink now. I mean, even the boxes used to offer choices of shard and character, or carpentry or..well, even the damned options boxes they chuck up on the screen are ugly and amateurish. Not even life drawings or garments or anything complex. And they still are insultingly crappy looking.

I'd like to know who the artists were that drew UO2D. I'd like to know who drew the horses and all sixteen views (or is it 24) of dragons walking, flying, crouching , flaming, roaring , dying, dead.
I'd like to know who did those superb cartoons, and write them a letter telling them that their effort was all worth it, that the pleasure they bring endures.

And I'd like OSI to figure out that part of the success of their 3D game depends on the graphics (they must realize that, I mena, musn't they? It is so foundational a concept...) and just plain hire two excellent graphics peeps, ones with traditional training who can actaully draw a face, a hand, a flowing garment.

Wow. Where's my medication?

Poet 73%
Wiseman 53%
Fool 54%
Human 100%

T

Tim Dunkin Dunca

I really dislike my 3D client and never do use it, and I love the overview look of the 2D

"Freedom will be defended" President George W. Bush 9/11/2001
<center>
</center>

G

I thought the only problem I had with 3d was a crash that occurs when I try to shear sheep or tame animals. I tested this by fighting in the Brit graveyard for a couple of hours with zero crashes. My confidence uplifted, I prepared to make my first journey into Ilshenar. Taking big stacks of bandages and apples and eqipment of no great value, I stepped through the moongate. I have to say, I like the Ilshenar land a lot better than the T2A lands, which are way too hard to navigate for my taste. However, I soon came across the "gazer town" and crashed as soon as I got into a fight. I have been unable to determine which, but one or more higher-level spells also crashes 3D for me. I cannot fight gazers or ratman mages without crashing. The only reason I was even interested in going to Ilshenar was for the ratman mages anyway, so I'm out.

If they can get 3D working, I'm willing to give up my pretty 2D graphics for flexible content, but with the state of 3D at this point, I'm voting 2D.

~Pacific po' boy loser~
GM Loitering and Stupidity
Explorer 86% | Killer 46% | Achiever 40% | Socializer 26%

D

DJOGrymn

Its BS, They just don't want to make new artwork because they are lazy, yet they did add bolas,savage berries, and other stuff and that was a new artwork on 2d. So they are full of it.

Yes I would buy a new 2D artwork cd only if they add Ilshenar in 2D, beats downloading with a 56k modem /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sleep.gif Its not like I choose 56k over anything faster /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't like those who brag about their cable modem, dsl, or anything connecting faster then a speed of a turtle, LOL (yep that was me being sarcastic)

<center>

--------------------
Royal Magistrate: (to the crowd) The prisoner wishes to say a word.

William Wallace: (after much struggle, shouting with all his might) FREEDOM!
</center>

T

tammi

One for the emotes. Second cause I will be getting a 5x better comp soon so I think it will run smooth. You can do more since the 2d artists have been laid off. The only bad thing of 3d is the inability to tell people apart...(maybe with my new comp itll help?)

<font color=00FF00>Tam</font color=00FF00> <font color=BF3EFF>of</font color=BF3EFF> <font color=FF3030> Napa.</font color=FF3030>

P

Pacrat

[nt] = No Text

<center>September 11, 2001</center>
<center>Never Forget.</center>

P

PsychoHippy

I hope they never open up Ilshenar to 2d. THen it wouldnt be that great. Those of us who actually enjoy the new 3d graphics will get lagged away because everyone and there dog will be in ilshenar camping stuff with the 2d client like they do in tram/felucia. I only lag in dungeons where 6 million people are camping spawns and in brit where everyone is spamming at the bank. Oh and on boats. Other than that i run FASTER in 3d client than 2d, especially in ilshenar. 3d is the future. In 1-2 years you will all have fast enough computers that you to will be able to play ilshenar in 3d the way it was designed. 3d is the future of UO. And what exactly is the different views you guys are talking about in 3d? The angle of view is virtually identical in 2d as it is in 3d. Maybe i just mis-understand what you guys are talking about when you say you like the view much better in 2d than 3d. Its the same view.

I befor E except after C....now thats weird.

I

imported_Davo_

UO4D!

long live the salamanders and gooses!!!

<center>

<a target="_blank" href=http://davo016.homestead.com/files/flagbigc.jpg>My old classic sig</a></center>

L

Leatherfoot

I was waiting for someone to mention them... took a while too... hehe

<center>
</center>
<center><font color=blue>Above.net lag monster strikes again!</font color=blue> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/angryfire.gif</center>

P

Pacrat

[nt] = No Text

<center>September 11, 2001</center>
<center>Never Forget.</center>

T

Techno2000

3D all the way!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.barnesweb.com/vgclub/uofiles/flags.html>US Flags in Britannia</a>
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.uobuy.com>Go to UOBuy.com!</a>

D

DJOGrymn

First off I like to say Ilshenar should be in 2D as well, You cannot gate, recall, res, or use boat in Ilshenar. Ilshenar in 3D can only be accessed via UO:TD.

Why should Ilshenar only be in UO:TD? We are all not rich and own 1ghz computers with T1 connection.

You don't want us 2D folks to steal your camping monsters spots in Ilshenar. UO:TD is bugged like hell. UO:TD has ugly 3D graphics, especially when you use zoom option, Now look at: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.blizzard.com/WoW/>http://www.blizzard.com/WoW/</a> That is sweet 3D graphics. This looks like a real threat to Ultima Online.

<center>

--------------------
Royal Magistrate: (to the crowd) The prisoner wishes to say a word.

William Wallace: (after much struggle, shouting with all his might) FREEDOM!
</center>

A

Ajax of Napa

Granted that 3D needs some work, a game engine with dynamic, rendered content is more feasible for the future. Resource requirements become less of an issue as machines become more powerful. The potential for custom avatars, custom objects created by players is possible with a 3D engine. Dynamic world content and new monsters, items is possible with 3D. Re-hueing items and mobiles is the only thing that can be done with the old client. There will come a day when there is something great they want to add to the game, that the old client will just not be able to handle and it will happen soon enough. The rushed release of the 3D client has given it a bad name. There are people who have never even tried it that say "it sucks". Now they have their 3D PR work cut out for them on top of the dev work needed to refine and smooth out the rough edges of UOTD.

-----------------------------------
I'm kind of in between sigs..

G

With the look of Pools of Radiance that just came out this past week. The screenshots for that game are what I want the next MMO I play to look like... Isometric viewpoint with decent polygon (i.e. less blocky) graphics.

The 2d is my favored client right now, but were UO to look like PoR, I'd stick with that client and probably play a WHOLE LOT MORE than I do now.

September 11, 2001, A new day of INFAMY... NEVER forget.

of LS [GM Mad Scientist; NMA]

M

Meade

Honestly, not bashing the way that UO:3D looks, I hate all 3D graphics to date. I haven't seen any game that has done it in a way that is as rich as the UO 2D graphics. Every game that I have seen with 3D looks broken up and blocky. Its because they haven't figured out how to make smooth rounded shapes yet. The worst is Everquest with the weird faces superimposed on the flat heads. Maybe once they do I would look at it, but until then I have to stay with 2D all the way.

P

Pyramid_Song

"Honestly, not bashing the way that UO:3D looks, I hate all 3D graphics to date. I haven't seen any game that has done it in a way that is as rich as the UO 2D graphics. Every game that I have seen with 3D looks broken up and blocky. Its because they haven't figured out how to make smooth rounded shapes yet. The worst is Everquest with the weird faces superimposed on the flat heads. Maybe once they do I would look at it, but until then I have to stay with 2D all the way."

Oh man, your soo right! Like, the way characters stand on ground. You know there standing, but it just looks.. I dunno. And the trees. The only #d engine I like is the one used in '3d World Runner' for Nes.

<center>
</center>
<center>Whats everyone looking at?</center>

G

Well,my vote went for 2d.I find it very irratating that 3d runs as bad as it does.I have read all the posts here and see alot refering to "when ppl get faster comps.....blah,blah,blah" well,for those that say that.I spent ALL my taxes last year on a "fast" comp and it makes NO diff. 3d has WAY to many crash problems and doesn`t have they eye candy it takes to get me enthrawled in another client.2d has EVERYTHING that 3d doesn`t.Always will untill EA gets off their arse and hires sum quality artists and more programmers/developers.I dare EA/OSI to share with the world just how many active artists/programmers and developers they have in their stable. I bet it is a very low number.Considering the fact that well over 300,000 ppl play this game at $10 a month.Now if ya do the math you will see that they could afford enuff quality ppl to make this game the way it should be.But.........thanx to greed and corruption,that will never happen.I will TOTALLY agree with Chunky........2d=good.......3d=bad.Enuff said.
The day there is no 2d is the day I will extend my middle finger and kick the first GM`s ass ingame I page.
They have plenty of cash to work with to be able to please the 2d AND the 3d crowds.Any of them that say they don`t,is simply lying thru their money green teeth.

Ahh,much better.

T

Techno2000

I have had no problems with 3D whatsoever. 2D just looks... icky now compaired to 2D. UO has a ways to go from being perfect, but 3D is defenetly a step in the right direction.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.barnesweb.com/vgclub/uofiles/flags.html>US Flags in Britannia</a>

S

spinkickr

they DO tell people how many developers/programmers/artists they have
and they have been trying to hire a new 3d artist for MONTHS, and EA offfers a really nice employment package, its just noone wants to work for them, esp since the project is soooooooooooo huge

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

G

Well I for one didnt vote at all !! To me this 3d is the first time uo got elitist and exclusionary with a new land mass ..thus unless ya HAD 3d card, had the money to go buy em.. had the know how to slap it in..had the speediest connectivity etc,then put up with all their patching.. to GET the 3d.. yu were on the onset of its creation EXCLUDED period from 3d land ! When they made tram ..the players HAD the freedom of choice. When they made ta2 the players whom didnt have it only needed to get the upgrade cd..NO BIGGY nobody excluded..no major problem ! But with this uo opted to shun many of its players for bells and whistles of exclusivitiy of their 3d land. So I didnt bother to vote..cuz been excluded from ever seeing 3d land from the get go...where before they uo took us all there one way or another the freedom of choice as is as we were existed.. they removed that cast the players aside whom either dont have the rl bucks or the rl computer wizzardry to even put or get 3d onto their existing set ups. So I personally wish I could see it ..even if only once..but it was decided for me and many others its a *forbidden land we are NOT allowed into* ..so why vote on it.. they didnt ask anybodys opinions before they decided to split the player base worse than fel tram ever did.. with their 3d land for the select few !!!

<center>

G

Greatfellow

but yer not bitter.
=]

Poet 73%
Wiseman 53%
Fool 54%
Human 100%

M

MatF1

Um you can get a fair card(TNT2) for AUS$80 or a decent one(GF2MX) for AUS$150 for US prices cut those figures in half. If you buy at a reasonable store they will also fit the card and get it running for you. Granted there will be some who still can't afford even that, but if you can afford internet access and afford to play a subscription game odds are you can afford US$40 for a card that will not only run 3D in UO but most other games.

MatF1

P

Phantom Rose

I have one of the best machines out and well I have to say 2D 2D 2D!!!!!! I hate the 3D version and rarely even log in on it. Let us see the Ilshenar in 2D! Scrap 2D and you lose a TON of players. Might as well head on over to EQ.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/crazy.gif

G

I think i like the 2D client more, because i am used to it. ...

Maby if i played the 3d more, i would like that more...

its just now when i log in 3d, after 30 minutes i head back home, and i log out, and log in 2d...

why do i keep doin that???

Socializer 73% Killer 73% Explorer 33% Achiever 20%

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.destiny.xs3.com> Visit Our Guild Site </a>

G

ULTIMA 3000

*go for it Neo*

*Nobody makes it in the first jump*

G

If they DO tell ppl how many artists and dev and whatnot.................where is this information? I for one would like to know how many there is. I think for as much moola that is poured into this company and game,they should have plenty of resources to please BOTH player bases.2d & 3d.
Period.

Ahh,much better.

X

-Xeres-

I think they should move on with the 3D client. Fix that puppy up and make the graphics much better.

Enforcers of Justice || Chesapeake

S

shawngee

Read my lips "THE 3D CLIENT WILL NEVER REPLACE THE 2D CLIENT" That client will always be just someone's wet dream and nothing more. You cannot bank with that client. You cannot have a fight with that client. The client is crap and should be junked. I have tried to play it and have ran it pretty well but 2D is my security blanket. What other game you know goes from $49.99 to $9.99 in 3 weeks? Even the sales associate at Software Etc. told me "Don't buy that ."

T

Techno2000

Umm... I manage to bank, and fight with 3D just fine... don't seem to understand why you can't...

G

Techno, I'm with you. My system can run both clients the same and I believe that the newer client is better. I have very little issues with it and if you cant bank (I assume you mean it lags at west brit) then thats not a client problem.

<center>
</center>
<center>A Nation's Prayers for the family and friends of lost ones</center>

G

Throws taler into a pit infested with Llamas

*THERE U GO*

SUFFER!!!!

*Grinzz*

G

Don't know if this was said or not, but if you guys think 3D is buggy, go try Anarchy Online, or WW2 Online, there are some buggy unplayable clients. I don't have a whole lot of problems with UO3D, I acutally like it, but it is something that does kinda have to grow on ya. Plus in Ilshenar you can actually hunt without stepping on everyone's toes :)

S

shawngee

Theres some spots in the new lands that are laggy by themselves. Like the new title spots. I refuse to go to those lands until i give my computer a overhaul. Imagine playing many many videogames vith your voodoo card and then have OSI/EA tell you "Oh yeah, there is an issue running the new client with voodoo." They said that months after i have been playing and crashing. It came down to either i change my videocard to play this ****ty client or screw that POS and keep playing with 2D. I chose the latter and never bothered running the client much after that. There was one occasion when i was fighting rats in the new lands and they started casting spells on me before they hit me then i ran and..OMG WHY THE HELL DID A PURPLE MONKEY JUST POP UP ON MY SCREEN AND TELL ME HE WANTS TO BE MY BUDDY?...Anyhow, i was way ahead of the rat and running away. Somehow this rat caught up to me and kicked my ass. End of story im outta here before that monkey pops up again.

G

I just voted!

I figured the 2D client would win, but that's a much larger margin than I anticipated. Hopefully the OSI developers see this thread. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<center>
</center>

G

2D. As long as they don't work on 3D, or open up Ilshenar to 2D, I'll be happy. I hadn't had a single problem with 3D, and have a blast in Ilshenar. The fact that 3D causes so many problems keeps folks out of Ilshenar. Now, for the most part I feel bad for the players who make the game enjoyable, but I can't say that I'm disappointed. It keeps the A-holes out too. What a joy Ilshenar is knowing you don't a bunch of folks running around, who's only goal in the game is to aggravate other players.

--------------------
Stress: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living crap out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

K

KITH

I bought the 3d version trugh amazone.com ( I live in Denmark), and I have been in Ilshnar a few times, and I would ever never consider use it outside of Ilshnar, its just to slow

Explorer 73%
Socializer 66%
Killer 33%
Achiever 26%

May your path allways be green and golden

( ARGH NO IM NOT ENGLISH, I'M ELVEN , SO LEAVE MY TYPO'S ALONE, ARGH HUMANS )

V

Vidi

Neither

the client of the future is UO 2.0 ( no not uo2 this is different )

Vidi- Pure Warrior
Darwin- Tamer Bard Mage ( you hate me )
Thraxas- Mule extrordinaire
Lui- Scribe Alchemist Fisherman
Daevyd S'nna-Archer/Mage

<a target="_blank" href=http://shadowpriests.8m.net> Shadow Priest homepage</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.