• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Politically correct nonsense

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheesh, can we keep the politics out of UO?

In the FOF this week the following sentence is inflammatory to those of us who desire less discrimination in our society: "# Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon her pet."

Give me a break. Replace the pronoun HER with THE. Keep these jabs in the Political blog arena.

I

imported_Spiritless

Rage more?

You are, in fact, advocating "political correctness" by asking for this to be changed. Get over it.

G

That's it?

Consider me underwhelmed by the complaint in this thread.

I

imported_revenant2

.... A bug in the English language, heh.

There's no gender-neutral, singular personal pronoun. It's got a plural one, but not singular.

One can just use the masculine form of the pronoun at the risk of looking politcally incorrect, or use the plural 'they' (incorrect plurality but correct in lack of gender specification), or restructure the sentence to use "one" instead. Using the female form of the pronoun for it sounds funny to me, but one always understands why it was done when one sees it.

In French, the masculine pronoun doubles as an all-inclusive females+males pronoun. That would be a good solution for English. Another one would be acceptance of 'they' as being both plural and singular, and I do hear it used that way in casual conversation.

.....Buuuuuut the english language isn't a computer program that can be fixed with a couple keystrokes now is it

G

In French, the masculine pronoun doubles as an all-inclusive females+males pronoun. That would be a good solution for English.

That's exactly how English worked until the Feminist/PC crowd raised holy hell about it.

G

Actually, I've been trying to use they/their as a singular pronoun these days and I find it works pretty well.

One of the nice things about language is that it's not written in stone ... *pause* ... wait, bad choice of metaphor.

X

xxEvolusxx

How about "To summon said gender's pet."

lol

I'd hate to be that uptight.

G

Actually, I've been trying to use they/their as a singular pronoun these days and I find it works pretty well.

Same, and while I'm sure a grammar nazi would cringe, it gets the job done and the point across well enough.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps you don't realize this but Jeremy is a woman. I just assumed that she used 'her' just like I (being of the male gender) would have most likely said 'his'. Either way who cares? I know it's a bit early in the day, but maybe you should just kick back with a cold one and relax a little bit.

I

imported_Coppelia

In fact that could be written "blabla to summon one's pet".

G

<blockquote><hr>

There's no gender-neutral, singular personal pronoun.

[/ QUOTE ][*]Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon their pet.[/list]

C

ChWalker

If you think using the word "her" is a political jab then I would hate to see what you think of the current presidental races.