• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Return Brock to the Lands

T

Tycolby

While recently mining in a cave in Fel these past few weeks, I noticed a mad rush of every rude miners popping in and out all over the cave. Four Miners popped in on the west side of the cave, dug and recalled out. Then as if on Que they popped into the center of the cave and mined and recalled out. Then Within in seconds of disappearing they came back to the eastside and dug it dry. I have never seen this kind of teamwork before in mining. I am sure these guys have got their TS2 up and running and a life time supply of Mountian Dew right next to them. Most likely they use depends also.

I feel as though I must be a Minority here that wishes for a little equal play against the big strip miners here. It was so easy for me to out run Brock (Black Rock Ellie) back in the days of Brock that i couldnt understand why no other miner was able to out run an Ellie. I mean anyone there at their keyboard could see brock pop up and be able to run away from him, it was child's play.

All I am asking is a reason why Brock is not here if we can still dig up Black rocks? Brock was the equalizier for the black rocks in the first place!!!!!

Time for him to come back after a 10 month break!!!!!

J

Jesara

Sorry, but running away from Brock was not always childs play. Without super fast reflexes, you can't always remount and get you & your beetle away in time. And too bad if you were by chance overweight and couldn't run. Those ellies are fast! And if your miner can't kill them, they are still around to bother you or someone else. I am one slow miner who prefers not having to worry about them.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but running away from Brock was not always childs play. Without super fast reflexes, you can't always remount and get you & your beetle away in time. And too bad if you were by chance overweight and couldn't run. Those ellies are fast! And if your miner can't kill them, they are still around to bother you or someone else. I am one slow miner who prefers not having to worry about them.
You only needed to remount your beetle if it wasn't bonded. Any miners worth their salt had at least 2 bonded beetles available and never allow themselves to be overweight. I don't recall my miner ever dying to a Blackrock Elemental. After recalling out, I always sent in my warrior to lure it away from the mine.

I think what the OP is trying to delicately say is he's pretty sure these four rude miners are scripters. Scripters (actually their scripts) are too slow or stupid to avoid the Blackrock Elementals. Those were the best things that ever happened for real miners.

T

Tycolby

Brock was every easy to kill. One little simple word was all that was needed. The true Miner's paradise was free of these rude miners. Brock often popped up here but decided it was best to leave right away. He knew that the miners here were very vigilant and dealt out justice swiftly. Most importantly the rude miners were banned from recalling into these lost lands.

Anyway say what you will against my ideas or for my ideas but we all know its the right thing to do.

You've taken away BOS's from us.
You've randomized resource locations
You need to make Brock a lasting member of the community!!!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've taken away BOS's from us.
You've randomized resource locations
You need to make Brock a lasting member of the community!!!
I sometimes wonder exactly how many non-scripting "casual" UO players left, at least in part, because of these changes. Perhaps in the long run these changes have somewhat helped the UO economy. However, my gut feeling is that they disenchanted and drove away a lot of the folks who only had time to play UO 5-10 hours per week.

L

Lunaticus

I sometimes wonder exactly how many non-scripting "casual" UO players left, at least in part, because of these changes. Perhaps in the long run these changes have somewhat helped the UO economy. However, my gut feeling is that they disenchanted and drove away a lot of the folks who only had time to play UO 5-10 hours per week.
One, non-scripting miner here! :spider:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually didn't like blackrock elementals in my day-to-day mining. I always managed to escape them (although I did have to get my fire beetle rezed a few times - the adrenaline rush seemed to make me completely incompetent at targeting it to mount it). However I found that I stopped mining anyway because I actually like the dull, uneventful life of a miner. I have a separate miner for hunting elementals ... and prefer being in control of whether or not I'm going to be at risk of encountering the "boo!" factor.

On the other hand, I really liked blackrock elementals as an option. Like gargoyle pickaxes, it's nice to have the option of a more risky/dynamic setting. If they were confined to one facet or when using a tool or talisman (with the reward that this is the only time you could dig up blackrock instead of gems), I would support them as a permanent addition.

Also, I really, really like the concept of there being unkillable monsters. Fiction-wise, the players feel too powerful in UO - there are hardly any creatures you want to avoid - all creatures (aside from invulnerable NPCs) are there simply to be killed. I would like to see more "obstacle" monsters - things that aren't there to be killed, they are there to be avoided, they are part of the puzzle of how to advance as opposed to being walking treasure chests.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My biggest complaint about the blackrock elementals was that my miner was spawning something that was almost unkillable and then leaving it behind as a problem for someone else to deal with. It just didn't feel right to me.

M

Millie

You only needed to remount your beetle if it wasn't bonded. Any miners worth their salt had at least 2 bonded beetles available and never allow themselves to be overweight. I don't recall my miner ever dying to a Black Rock Elemental. After recalling out, I always sent in my warrior to lure it away from the mine.
Well I guess I'm not worth salt because sometimes I do get overweight and I do have 2 beetle one blue and fire but can only use one at a time and have no stable space for a packie. I have never been able to run from A Black Rock Ellie.. I always die. I have always had to go beg for a pet rez. since my tamer in on the same account. I have always came back and lured them away, no matter how many times the Rock Ellie killed me, since not even my best fighter could kill one.
I think at first the Rock Ellie's helped a lot but soon I found that many of the scripting miners would spawn them and the Rock Ellie's would walk away from them while they would attack Me.
IMO there are a few ways to stop this. One would to be stop anyone form recalling in to any mine in any facet. It would be a pain in the butt for me but at least I wouldn't have some scripter show up stepping on my toes and taking my ore. I'm not saying I'm perfect I use to spot mine for stone , but I was always there and tried never to take anyones ore, a scritper does not care.
Or if they did bring back the Black Rock Ellie's make them so that they are not affected by any monster ignore or monster chasing spell. That would at least even the field for the non scripting miner.

T

tymbow

You know, I've always wanted to see risk of gasseous pockets or water flooding as a (very low) possible risk when mining. Might make mining a little more interesting

The water probably wouldn't work but the gas would. It could say affect you like deadly posison and we could have a new item like a canary in a cage which gives you say a few seconds warning to avoid being poisoned.

Just a thought...

U

UOKaiser

One would to be stop anyone form recalling in to any mine in any facet. It would be a pain in the butt for me but at least I wouldn't have some scripter show up stepping on my toes and taking my ore. I'm not saying I'm perfect I use to spot mine for stone , but I was always there and tried never to take anyones ore, a scritper does not care.
Or if they did bring back the Black Rock Ellie's make them so that they are not affected by any monster ignore or monster chasing spell. That would at least even the field for the non scripting miner.

No good. Were miners not fighters it takes long enough to mine enough to even use let alone sell imagine having to run away from almost every mining spot becuase of eles and have to come back with a warrior everytime. Messes up the ore to time ratio. Next the no recalling will mess up 1 of the fastest ways to mine recall mining and will limit most miners to the forests outside mountains. not to mention it will stop all recalling to any cave-dungeon area dont think the warriors will like that much.
I understand most still mine by actually walking from spot to spot very time consuming if you ask me. I suggest mark 4-6 vein spots all over sorsaria and recall mine them like that you have plenty of ore never need to worry about scripters, increase youre speed and ore mine per hour immensly. It's really one of the best ways.
The other way is having fire beattle and packies with you but youre confined to 1 area and walking so the time consuming ratio is pretty high unless there all bonded then youre really set and can use recall mining with macros uo assist or kr which is better for macros and wont need to unload often in home.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next the no recalling will mess up 1 of the fastest ways to mine recall mining and will limit most miners to the forests outside mountains.
I have to admit I've never been a fan of seeing miners pop in, dig, pop out ... just doesn't look natural.

Riding on a big red beetle is perfectly natural, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

(I'm a beetle-miner and have a preferred cave that I can usually fill up my pack strip-mining ... there are lots of uninhabited caves that can be strip-mined)

U

UOKaiser

I have to admit I've never been a fan of seeing miners pop in, dig, pop out ... just doesn't look natural.

Riding on a big red beetle is perfectly natural, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

(I'm a beetle-miner and have a preferred cave that I can usually fill up my pack strip-mining ... there are lots of uninhabited caves that can be strip-mined)
Heh I pop in and out with my blue beetle but I think naturaly would be big red and big blue beattle kicking the miner off and eating him pick axe and all. Though the red beetle will cook its food just before swallowing can you say barbecue miner on a pick :)
Though on another note recalling with out the packies bonded wont work to well you either have to use no packie be riding one of those monstrousities or have them bonded to you. Gates take too long to cast and enter so it messes up the time ratio. it's all about how much you mine in a hour. Mine in fel get more in a short time but have to use recall if not in a guardzone for those miner pks. In trammel as i said before try to mark those 4-6 vein spots so when you recall you can mine 4-6 spots instead of 1 in one recall and recall to the next one then recall to unload and recall back to finish the spot by the time you get back to the first spot it would be ready for mining again.

Waste as little time as possible getting the most ore works well for all situation if you have a short time to play or you just want to press macros and not struggle all day it's even better. I swear one day all the beetles will revolt and attack us crafters :)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are obviously mining at a rate of efficency far in excess of my own if you are worried about the time it takes crossing a gate :)

U

UOKaiser

You are obviously mining at a rate of efficency far in excess of my own if you are worried about the time it takes crossing a gate :)
Definetly ,think about it cast gate wait till noise stops run into gate make sure you dont move away from youre 6 vein spot use more mana compare to faster recall time and poof youre in exact spot you need to get at all the veins using up less mana repeat this couple of hundred times a day and the time really adds up if u use gates of course I believe on siege it's a different story as recall is not feasable which I feel sorry for our fellow brothers who decide to take up digging ore there.