• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Rethink Begging Bonus to 80.

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
K

Kiminality

Using your logic, let's say they changed it to 80 Begging to get the webs. Now, why is 80 better than 79.9? So let's change it to 70. But, why is 70 better than 69.9? Go down that path for a bit till you get to .1 getting them. Then, why is .1 better than 0? Talk about ridiculous.
That's why it should be a sort of sliding scale, with a bonus for GM...
Work out a scale, so 80 can barely get it, and 100 skill would have a 1% chance. Then give an additional 1% bonus for GM.
So...
80.1 - 0.05%
85.0 - 0.25%
90.0 - 0.50%
95.0 - 0.75%
99.9 - 0.995%
GM - 2%

R

RavenWinterHawk

Work out a scale, so 80 can barely get it, and 100 skill would have a 1% chance. Then give an additional 1% bonus for GM.
So...
80.1 - 0.05%
85.0 - 0.25%
90.0 - 0.50%
95.0 - 0.75%
99.9 - 0.995%
GM - 2%

Exactly Kim.
A little logic.

Setting at 100 is silly.
80 is good.
I believe there is an increase in reward anyway as you approach 100.

Why 80?
Its reasonable.

50 you can start with. Getting to 70 is overly easy. From then on it takes some time.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Gm begging. If you didnt have one before then you shouldnt get it. This is for people that worked the useless skill.

You dont see me complaining about Bods at 80 smithing do you? I want a val hammer so it should be lowerd to 80smithing.

Its the same thing. Also begging helped last year as well so anyone that didnt get the "Hint" to work a begger start working em now.

and im sure trick or treat will be around for awhile. So you have time to make one.

You cannot complain that a skill finaly gets soemthing worth it and you didnt work it because you "thought" it was useless.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Forgot one important thing....

They did this to make the begging skill useful. Wow you spent awhole TWO HOURS geting to 80 Begging. They want you to work at it. Whats the point of even doing the begging skill if your going to lower it to 80, something you spend two hours on?

I 120 my smith, tailor and gm bowyer and im not complaining. Its called you work for it to get a reward hehe. They FINALY made a GM begger worth something. I got a few other ideas id like to shoot over for a GM begger.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Forgot one important thing....

They did this to make the begging skill useful. Wow you spent awhole TWO HOURS geting to 80 Begging. They want you to work at it. Whats the point of even doing the begging skill if your going to lower it to 80, something you spend two hours on?

I 120 my smith, tailor and gm bowyer and im not complaining. Its called you work for it to get a reward hehe. They FINALY made a GM begger worth something. I got a few other ideas id like to shoot over for a GM begger.
So youre saying for a beggar to be worth something you have to be at 100 GM and getting a chance to get a spider web... then makes it worthwhile?

I dont follow.

D

DHMagicMan_1

There should be something that only GM Beggers can get and has a very remote chance of dropping... I don't know why it has to be house decor related to Halloween though. I think they could have made it that the webs were something that was available to more (but rarely) like 80+ begging or no begging but .025% chance or something...

And for GM beggers, a gold mug or a gold bottle of ale that you can drink to get drunk from but never runs out of charges... and has your name inscribed... something special for GM Beggers is great... making it house decor for Halloween is questionable.

D

D'Amavir

So...
80.1 - 0.05%
85.0 - 0.25%
90.0 - 0.50%
95.0 - 0.75%
99.9 - 0.995%
GM - 2%
How about a sliding scale to get the highest level of wood out there for lumberjacks? Silly I know. But the same thing. A reward for GM Beggars should be just that, a reward for GM Beggars. GM Beggars get a reward for GM'ing Begging and ALL other players have the exact same chance to get every other reward.

You want to add new begging items to the game that lower than GM Beggars can have a chance for? Sure, go for it. But don't change the ONE thing that is made and added JUST for GM Beggars. Its one item, one. Out of the thousands of items that others have access to. GM Beggars have no help when it comes to pvm. GM Beggars have no help when it comes to pvp. GM Beggars can't craft anything that anyone wants. GM Beggars can't tame anything. GM Beggars have one thing, webs. Something that GM Beggars can collect that no one else can. Something that GM Beggars can actually sell that other people will want. Finally.

Why stop at 80 Begging? Give .1 Beggars a chance for them too. But, don't stop there, give 0 Beggars a chance too. After all, we don't want anyone left out right?

So, give .1 tamers a chance to tame and control Greater Dragons. Logic.
Give .1 Scribes a chance to make Scrapper's with exceptional qualities. Logic.
Give .1 Mages a chance to cast EV. Logic.
Give .1 of any skill the chance to do any thing that GM skilled characters can. After all, fair is fair right? Why should GM really mean anything at all? Let's just remove skill points altogether and let everyone do everything. Logic.

Bottom line, 80 Begging isn't as easy as 80 Focus, sure. But its still fairly simple to get to. 90? A little harder of course. GM? Really hard and time consuming. Give those people a little something for once in their gaming career in UO.

D

D'Amavir

So youre saying for a beggar to be worth something you have to be at 100 GM and getting a chance to get a spider web... then makes it worthwhile?

I dont follow.
You don't follow that getting a reward that seems to be very desirable is very worthwhile? Really now? So if the reward isn't worthwhile, why are so many people whining about the fact that they will have to buy theirs instead of earn it through their skill?

D

D'Amavir

There should be something that only GM Beggers can get and has a very remote chance of dropping... I don't know why it has to be house decor related to Halloween though. I think they could have made it that the webs were something that was available to more (but rarely) like 80+ begging or no begging but .025% chance or something...

And for GM beggers, a gold mug or a gold bottle of ale that you can drink to get drunk from but never runs out of charges... and has your name inscribed... something special for GM Beggers is great... making it house decor for Halloween is questionable.
The could have made it a scrap of paper and those without the skill needed to get it would still complain. Its one item that finally gives GM Beggars something worthwhile. Non GM Beggars can always buy them so its really a win win. This whole '80 Begging' nonsense is pretty much centered around those players that only have 80 Begging. Shocking I know. If most of them had 90 Begging, they would want the limit set at 90. If most of them had 70 Begging, they would want the limit set at GM.

One little non balance changing reward for the effort put into GM'ing a skill that very few people take the time to GM is a good idea. And I am glad that the devs finally made the right decision and made it GM only as they said it would be. Good job!

D

DHMagicMan_1

I don't have a horse in this race... I don't have a begger at all so I don't have a GM and I don't have an 80... I could have a 50 when I get home if I wanted to, but I don't.

I'm just saying I think it's great GM Beggers have something special they can get... just like GM Lumberjacks have colored boards no one else can get and GM Miners have valorite ore etc... In the end it's too late now anyway, but if it were MY design decision, I wouldn't have made the "Special GM Begging" item a Halloween Deco item that was targeted for everyone to want... I would have made the special item more targeted toward GM Begging and what they do.

Clothes or a begging cup, a gold wine or alcohol bottle with endless supply of liqour or something with their status on it... anything that shows what they did is great for them... but it didn't have to be "In your face" to everyone who didn't have a GM Begger...

In the end, it's obviously too late now and I'm sure people will buy the webs from the beggers and everyone will move on...

D

D'Amavir

I don't have a horse in this race... I don't have a begger at all so I don't have a GM and I don't have an 80... I could have a 50 when I get home if I wanted to, but I don't.

I'm just saying I think it's great GM Beggers have something special they can get... just like GM Lumberjacks have colored boards no one else can get and GM Miners have valorite ore etc... In the end it's too late now anyway, but if it were MY design decision, I wouldn't have made the "Special GM Begging" item a Halloween Deco item that was targeted for everyone to want... I would have made the special item more targeted toward GM Begging and what they do.

Clothes or a begging cup, a gold wine or alcohol bottle with endless supply of liqour or something with their status on it... anything that shows what they did is great for them... but it didn't have to be "In your face" to everyone who didn't have a GM Begger...

In the end, it's obviously too late now and I'm sure people will buy the webs from the beggers and everyone will move on...
The point was to have something that actually benefited the GM Beggar. Imagine if the wood gotten from GM Lumberjacking was just normal wood with the Lumby's name on it? And that all the colored wood could be gotten with 80 Lumby. Good idea huh? GM Lumberjacks would still get a unique item for their efforts, but not one that was worth having. We have seen how wanted those lanterns from begging are haven't we? Not very. Same goes for the begging shirts. No one wants them at all. Webs are win win because they reward GM Beggars for their efforts AND add a new deco that many many people want.

C

Connor_Graham

We have seen how wanted those lanterns from begging are haven't we? Not very.
Actually, the lanterns are the only begging item that is wanted. They stay lit when placed in a vendor's hands, so are useful for decorative lighting purposes. They sell for 10-25k too, depending on shard.

D

D'Amavir

Actually, the lanterns are the only begging item that is wanted. They stay lit when placed in a vendor's hands, so are useful for decorative lighting purposes. They sell for 10-25k too, depending on shard.
25k is not much. Especially when its from a skill that has no other benefits to it. You can't fight with it. You can't tame with it. You can only beg with it and get cheap items with it. Anyone that can honestly say that Begging doesn't deserve much more really can't be told otherwise. One little deco item is a good start. But, even as a GM only reward, its not nearly enough to justify either the points dedicated to it or the time spent getting those points.

Then again, a lot of us had GM or pretty close to GM Beggars already. Before the webs came out. People like me just like having even the worthless skills trained up, just as some small measure of a feeling of accomplishment. I think Camping will be next for me. And no, I haven't heard anything about GM Campers getting a unique reward come July 4th. But, we can hope!

L

Lord Drakelord

25k is not much. Especially when its from a skill that has no other benefits to it. You can't fight with it. You can't tame with it. You can only beg with it and get cheap items with it. Anyone that can honestly say that Begging doesn't deserve much more really can't be told otherwise. One little deco item is a good start. But, even as a GM only reward, its not nearly enough to justify either the points dedicated to it or the time spent getting those points.

Then again, a lot of us had GM or pretty close to GM Beggars already. Before the webs came out. People like me just like having even the worthless skills trained up, just as some small measure of a feeling of accomplishment. I think Camping will be next for me. And no, I haven't heard anything about GM Campers getting a unique reward come July 4th. But, we can hope!
I sell my beggar lanterns for 1k at my vendor shop.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How did you get to 80 in two hours? I spent 3 days any only made it to 60.

R

RavenWinterHawk

How did you get to 80 in two hours? I spent 3 days any only made it to 60.
Yeah you know
2 hours to 80
3 hours more to 90
5 hours to 100

So easy a caveman can do it.

Exaggeration. Getting to 80 takes a lot of effort. Thats my point.

F

Flora Green

My beggar is at 71 something. While I would like to be able to obtain the webs on my own, it's not possible. (Unless they leave trick or treating on until Feb again:stir:). Sure it would be nice to have it kept at 80, but this skill is a royal pain to GM so it's not a big deal to put the webs as a GM reward. And as I said in the other thread, maybe in time they'll add a couple of different web styles to acquire in some way.

If the webs are reasonably priced, I'll buy a couple. If not, I'll wait and hope that maybe they'll fall in a few months and use them next year. Besides, I'll be too busy trying to get black and white seed from the naturalist quest to work my beggar. :)

P

Prince Caspian

So easy a caveman can do it.

Ok please indulge me in a epic-sized derail here but I was wondering if someone could decipher the latest GEICO Caveman Commerical for me.

The one where he is playing tennis with Billie Jean King, and he thinks he is winning, and even invites her to check out the scoreboard, which shows that he hasn't scored a point yet and she's murdering him like 66-0.

I mean is it supposed to show he's stupid after all, or that GEICO just isn't tallying his points?

Erm.

D

Devil_Woman

Ok please indulge me in a epic-sized derail here but I was wondering if someone could decipher the latest GEICO Caveman Commerical for me.

The one where he is playing tennis with Billie Jean King, and he thinks he is winning, and even invites her to check out the scoreboard, which shows that he hasn't scored a point yet and she's murdering him like 66-0.

I mean is it supposed to show he's stupid after all, or that GEICO just isn't tallying his points?

Erm.
I figure it's meant to show that the ad agency Geico has working for them doesn't know beans about tennis scoring.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all of you glorious Gm beggars! :)

Question, well your thoughts please. My beggar is at 84 or so and I will not gm by treat time.

I can take a zero skill beggar and get the 3 new candies.

What can my 84 beggar look forward to this time?

Can anyone confirm if the 5 last year treats are exactly the same? (on Origin)

On an up note, ty Lady Dev for what you did. Ty!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping in the next set of commercials the Lizard will get eat some radioactive food and transform in to Godzilla and eat the caveman.

On a plus side I just realized my beggar still has the +5 skill from AOS so i only need to gain to 95 :lol:

L

Lord Drakelord

I'm hoping in the next set of commercials the Lizard will get eat some radioactive food and transform in to Godzilla and eat the caveman.
Now that is one commercial that I love to see myself.

E

Eslake

How about a sliding scale to get the highest level of wood out there for lumberjacks? Silly I know. But the same thing. A reward for GM Beggars should be just that, a reward for GM Beggars.
This brings up the gist of the arguments many of us are making that are being completely ignored.

Lumberjacking (as per your example) has Tiers. You cannot go out with 0 lumberjacking and get plain, oak, ash, yew, heartwood, and bloodwood, and only get frostwood with 100.0 lumberjacking.

That would make it like this situation regarding begging.

If they want to have minimum skills to get itemS that makes sense, but to have ALL of the items available to anyone with NO skill and nothing specific to beggars except at exactly 100.0 skill is rediculous.

They need either to make All items available and make begging skill the bonus factor, or they need to make MANY of the items require begging of a given DIFFERENT skill minimum (aka Tiered) to obtain.

The talk of how difficult it is to raise, how much time was invested etc is counter to the reasoning behind it. Because someone who ends up with 99.0 begging during the event has put in about 99% of the effort as someone who has 100.0 (the last 10 are pretty much always going to be GGS) but they get NO bonus whatsoever in this.

BTW, to the guy who mentioned 80 smithing and not getting a Val hammer bod, maybe you should look at the system again ;) because you can get ANY bod with 70.1 smithing. Skill beyond that minimum INCREASES your chances at color bods, it is not a requisite.

D

D'Amavir

This brings up the gist of the arguments many of us are making that are being completely ignored.

Lumberjacking (as per your example) has Tiers. You cannot go out with 0 lumberjacking and get plain, oak, ash, yew, heartwood, and bloodwood, and only get frostwood with 100.0 lumberjacking.
Tiered or not, you don't get the high level wood at 0-99.9 but you get it at GM. Its a reward for having GM skill. 0-99.9 Beggars already have things they can use their skill to get. GM Beggars had nothing that only they could get. Now they do. And it was a good move to finally give them something that only those that worked the skill to GM could get.

If they want to have minimum skills to get itemS that makes sense, but to have ALL of the items available to anyone with NO skill and nothing specific to beggars except at exactly 100.0 skill is rediculous.
As stated above, non GM Beggars already have items that only they can get. Only now has something been added to the game that gives GM Beggars something only they can get.

They need either to make All items available and make begging skill the bonus factor, or they need to make MANY of the items require begging of a given DIFFERENT skill minimum (aka Tiered) to obtain.
They did. They made any beggar able to get all of the begging items. And they made ONE item that only GM Beggars can get.

The talk of how difficult it is to raise, how much time was invested etc is counter to the reasoning behind it. Because someone who ends up with 99.0 begging during the event has put in about 99% of the effort as someone who has 100.0 (the last 10 are pretty much always going to be GGS) but they get NO bonus whatsoever in this.
Using your logic, anyone with 99 in Begging will have access to the new item. See there, we already lowered the requirement by one. All that beggar has to do is get their GGS each day and reach the GM level. Perfect. Wait, I know. Now you want 80 skill beggars to get it too. Then the 70 skill beggars want that level to get it. Where does it end? I know where, back where we were before the devs made the right decision and added GM Beggars getting something unique. Back to the point where GM Beggars got nothing special at all. Glad they are smarter than that. Its rare but in this case they were.

BTW, to the guy who mentioned 80 smithing and not getting a Val hammer bod, maybe you should look at the system again ;) because you can get ANY bod with 70.1 smithing. Skill beyond that minimum INCREASES your chances at color bods, it is not a requisite.

That's not fair. I have 70 smithing so I should have access to the same bods that higher level smiths have access to. And I should be able to make everything to fill those bods like higher level smiths can. What's the success rate for a 70 Smith to make Exceptional Plate Mail? Using your logic, they should have a chance even if its a low chance right?

Following your line of 'reasoning' there should be no skill that gives any benefits based on skill level. .1 Lumbies should have a small chance to get frostwood. Do they? They should though right?

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Erm.
I think he's having a dream, and in his dream he thinks he's beating her but when he looks up at the scoreboard he isn't, and then it turns into a nightmare cause geico is everywhere....

kinda stupid (yes)...

(ps: to go back to the topic - I too voted for GM beggars getting the nets, and I say this with a beggar that will probalby see 85-90 this year if I work hard every night until the halloween content goes away. I can appreciate that someone that put in a lot of work on something is going to get a chance at cool reward for that effort. Yay for that - wish they did that more often with skills and not just during holidays.)

D

D'Amavir

Has anyone been able to test the GM Begging requirement on Origin yet? I smell a typical EA move. They know that they won't be able to appease both sides so they let 'under GM web chance' to slip into test. Then they move it to Origin claiming 'its fixed but its not on TC'. Then they rush job the move to all the shards. Then they will come out with the 'oops, it slipped through. But since its there we are going to leave it as is.' nonsense. I know I am not the only one that smells that smell. You know the one, that smell that shows up in bull pens all the time.

F

Flora Green

Honestly I'm starting to wonder what the point of Origin is anymore. It's a very low populated shard and people DO have jobs, obligations, kids, etc so we can't spend the entire whole 24 hours or so it's on the shard testing. Plus, I find it hard to believe they've fixed the bugs reported so far. I hope they have, but I doubt it. Who knows how many bugs haven't been found yet. *shrug*

D

D'Amavir

Honestly I'm starting to wonder what the point of Origin is anymore. It's a very low populated shard and people DO have jobs, obligations, kids, etc so we can't spend the entire whole 24 hours or so it's on the shard testing. Plus, I find it hard to believe they've fixed the bugs reported so far. I hope they have, but I doubt it. Who knows how many bugs haven't been found yet. *shrug*
Another person I hate agreeing with that I am forced to agree with.

Stop
it
now!

heh

This just adds credence to the belief that EA is intentionally trying to kill UO so they can shut it down and move onto the more popular stuff. I find it hard to believe that a group of professionals can really be this bad and still have jobs in this world. But, like they always say, some people fail upward. I am sure that a few of these geniuses will end up promoted when all is said and done. Right after UO is shut down and they are moved full time to WHO that is.

E

Eslake

Tiered or not, you don't get the high level wood at 0-99.9 but you get it at GM. Its a reward for having GM skill. 0-99.9 Beggars already have things they can use their skill to get. GM Beggars had nothing that only they could get. Now they do. And it was a good move to finally give them something that only those that worked the skill to GM could get.
You missed my point. Yes, you have to have an exact amount of lj to get frostwood, but it is not an All - Or - Nothing situation. As one gains in the skill they gradually have access to more and more types of wood. It isn't simply you get all BUT frostwood at 0 - 99.8, and +frostwood at 99.9.

The bonus is a gradual situation. Every so often, you are able to get a higher wood due to the time you have put into gaining the skill.

THAT makes perfect sense. Having even NON-Beggars able to get everything a begger of 0.1 to 99.9 can get does not. To have a GM-Only item, it makes sense that the other items should become available Gradually with higher Begging skill.

As stated above, non GM Beggars already have items that only they can get.
Not as part of the trick-or-treating they don't. ;) You don't need ANY begging skill to get Anything other than the web.

That's not fair. I have 70 smithing so I should have access to the same bods that higher level smiths have access to. And I should be able to make everything to fill those bods like higher level smiths can. What's the success rate for a 70 Smith to make Exceptional Plate Mail? Using your logic, they should have a chance even if its a low chance right?
Following your line of 'reasoning' there should be no skill that gives any benefits based on skill level. .1 Lumbies should have a small chance to get frostwood. Do they? They should though right?
No. Quite the contrary. I am saying that any skill that allows you to do/make/find something at all has Stages on the way up the ladder. As (again) with smithing. You don't get BODs for anything you haven't earned the skill to make, but as you gain skill more types become available to you.

For it to equate to what I'm arguing about trick-or-treating it would have to be like this...

Every bod type Other than val hammer bods is available to everyone, even Non-Smiths. But at 120.00 smithing, you also have a chance at val hammer bods.

Do you see how rediculous it looks in any other context? :)
Even Non-Lumberjacks can get all but frostwood, and 100.00 LJ lets you get frostwood too.
Even Non-Miners can get all but valorite ore, and 100.00 skill miners can get Valorite too.

It just doesn't make any sense.

D

D'Amavir

Not as part of the trick-or-treating they don't. ;) You don't need ANY begging skill to get Anything other than the web.
So your real issue is that the GM begging reward is tied to trick or treating. Which means if they just changed it to a seasonal GM only reward you would be ok with it. I would support that. It still gives GM Beggars a bonus and keeps the items rare.

No. Quite the contrary. I am saying that any skill that allows you to do/make/find something at all has Stages on the way up the ladder. As (again) with smithing. You don't get BODs for anything you haven't earned the skill to make, but as you gain skill more types become available to you.
I would be ok it the heartwood things became tiered like other skill rewards and the top end reward (webs) being GM only. Perfectly fine with that.

Do you see how rediculous it looks in any other context? :)
Even Non-Lumberjacks can get all but frostwood, and 100.00 LJ lets you get frostwood too.
Even Non-Miners can get all but valorite ore, and 100.00 skill miners can get Valorite too.

It just doesn't make any sense.
Again, your issue is that the webs are gained through trick or treating. I can understand that. Like I said, making it a seasonal GM only reward gotten from actual begging would be fine with me.

But, I doubt that you will think its fine. Even though it covers your 'lower skill gets some and GM gets one additional unique to them' concept.

To get more support, you should focus on changing webs to a GM Begging begging activity as opposed to a GM Begging Trick or Treating activity. I don't think many people supporting GM only would put up much fight about that. I could be wrong though.

F

Flora Green

Yeah, I figured. :) I really don't get the lack of time testing though. Normally I would have tried to test as much as possible, but RL interfered.

E

Eslake

To get more support, you should focus on changing webs to a GM Begging begging activity as opposed to a GM Begging Trick or Treating activity. I don't think many people supporting GM only would put up much fight about that. I could be wrong though.
Okay smarty pants :p make all my argument simple enough I sound stupid for having had to say it so many different ways!!

If Trick-or-treating is based on begging it should be based on begging. That means that Most (since there should be Some items available without skill as with all other skills) of the items should be tiered to obtain at Different levels of the skill.

Having webs available simply from begging during the season would work too, and would serve as a .. precident .. for similar niceties for other skills around the year. Imagine detect hidden around Easter or Arcane circles on the solstices/equinoxes etc. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I support the GM only side of this argument, I can vouch as Craftsman Forum Moderator, that trying to equate to GM lumberjacking severely hurts, if not wrecks, any point someone attempts to make to justify GM-only content.

Of the 6 woods, there's FOUR that require 95 or higher, THREE (not one) of which require GM. And, due to the resource randomization, it's more likely that a GM beggar will get more webs in a day than a lumberjack will find frostwood trees in a MONTH, with the Lumberjack putting in as many hours a day as the beggar.

If any skill does merit the argument that lower level characters need to have chances at the top-end resources, it's Lumberjacking.

The Fishing tiers of content are a better example of what a tier system for GM in a skill should mean / should give.

I could see, though, having a system set up for special begging content year-round. The server would check against skill and the date, and when an item is in-season, items begged would be at 90 or 95 skill (80 is just too darn low, but I wouldn't mind seeing it put in place for the current "begging rares" of the normal type), but require GM skill when out of season. The chance for a seasonal item would be equal to any of the other rares.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
40-gm begging in a week, stop being lazy people !

R

RavenWinterHawk

40-gm begging in a week, stop being lazy people !
Wow I forgot...
The event isnt event about begging. You dont even use the begging skill.
You say trick or treat.

Ah well the publish is here.

I have gm begging anyway. Wanted to see some logic in things. Again, I completely forgot you dont even beg.

So trick or treat and GM begging, gets a web.

I more interested in the Halloween spawn drops. They sound cool.
And dont forget the armours from the evil NPCs in brit are colored and hued unique colors.

There are some bloodred armours. Very cool.

D

D'Amavir

Okay smarty pants :p make all my argument simple enough I sound stupid for having had to say it so many different ways!!

If Trick-or-treating is based on begging it should be based on begging. That means that Most (since there should be Some items available without skill as with all other skills) of the items should be tiered to obtain at Different levels of the skill.

Having webs available simply from begging during the season would work too, and would serve as a .. precident .. for similar niceties for other skills around the year. Imagine detect hidden around Easter or Arcane circles on the solstices/equinoxes etc. :)
Like I said, I think most people would be ok with making the current begging items tiered and have webs be a seasonal reward for GM Begging. It seems too many people are getting stuck on the trick or treat part and forgetting that .1 beggars do already have items that they can get. Just that they aren't tiered yet. But I could see them making that change without too much grief on the boards about it. As long as the existing items are tiered and the webs are GM Only I think that its a win win.

D

D'Amavir

While I support the GM only side of this argument, I can vouch as Craftsman Forum Moderator, that trying to equate to GM lumberjacking severely hurts, if not wrecks, any point someone attempts to make to justify GM-only content.

Of the 6 woods, there's FOUR that require 95 or higher, THREE (not one) of which require GM. And, due to the resource randomization, it's more likely that a GM beggar will get more webs in a day than a lumberjack will find frostwood trees in a MONTH, with the Lumberjack putting in as many hours a day as the beggar.

If any skill does merit the argument that lower level characters need to have chances at the top-end resources, it's Lumberjacking.

The Fishing tiers of content are a better example of what a tier system for GM in a skill should mean / should give.

I could see, though, having a system set up for special begging content year-round. The server would check against skill and the date, and when an item is in-season, items begged would be at 90 or 95 skill (80 is just too darn low, but I wouldn't mind seeing it put in place for the current "begging rares" of the normal type), but require GM skill when out of season. The chance for a seasonal item would be equal to any of the other rares.
I don't believe too many beggars would complain if they added new items to begging that were tiered. Like I said, I think a lot would even be ok with making the current items tiered with the season GM Only reward being the Web and some new item being available for year round use of GM Begging.

But, as has been pointed out several times, GM Beggars have nothing that is unique to them when begging. The webs aren't a reward for begging. Its a reward for trick or treating which happens to give a bonus to those with GM Begging.

As for lumberjacking, the facts remain. At 99.9 lumby you can get all the woods minus one. At 100 lumby you can get all the woods. As it works now, at 99.9 begging you get all of the rewards when you beg. At GM Begging you get all of the rewards when you beg.

X

Xel Naga

The fact that GM begging takes a long time vs GMing lumberjacking which takes several hours with a 100% poison axe on a golem makes LJ an unfair comparison.

Far too easy to train LJ to complain about, the only reason the nodes were nerfed was due to script farming bots which of course hurt the legit players. But now at least you see library contribution items aren't dirt cheap anymore.

F

Fink

It's a shame there's no way of telling how long a character's been training a skill... I'd be happy for webs to be GM-only but I'd also like to throw a bone to those people who have been slogging away at Begging for years going the slow-gain-through-playing route.:thumbup1:

The OP shot himself in the foot by saying eventually everyone will have or afford webs anyway.. so, really, what's the issue? For a fleeting moment, gm beggars get to shine. Let 'em have their moment.

I love how the rest of the year next to nobody gives a rodent's rectum about Begging, but an item is thrown our way at Halloween and suddenly everyone has an opinion.. :lol:

R

RavenWinterHawk

It's a shame there's no way of telling how long a character's been training a skill... I'd be happy for webs to be GM-only but I'd also like to throw a bone to those people who have been slogging away at Begging for years going the slow-gain-through-playing route.:thumbup1:

The OP shot himself in the foot by saying eventually everyone will have or afford webs anyway.. so, really, what's the issue? For a fleeting moment, gm beggars get to shine. Let 'em have their moment.

I love how the rest of the year next to nobody gives a rodent's rectum about Begging, but an item is thrown our way at Halloween and suddenly everyone has an opinion.. :lol:
Helloooo

That is my point. Its not being able to buy the webs eventually. We all know they will come down in price. My merchant will buy and sell them.

Its the mere fun of getting one to pop in your bag.
Thats all really.

The comparisons to GM begging all stink. Because you get a greater chance to get the rewards as GM begging goes up.

You dont get higher chances for wood with high lumber jacking. 99 LJ is as good as 79 lb for oak. See what I mean. If LJ had greater chances to get resources as you approach 100 then Id say good comparision. LJ is more like level rewards.

So higher begging is already rewarded with greater chances to get treats.
99.99 down everything but the webs. (not logical)

if you really wanted it to be a begging thing, the it should be done differently.

But as I wrote, I forgot this isnt even about begging its TRICK OR TREAT.

All players should have a chance for the treat. Why beggars?

Now with higher begging, sure, greater chance to get the treat.

Its not logical.

Anyway its all moot. Time enjoy the fun.

D

D'Amavir

Helloooo

That is my point. Its not being able to buy the webs eventually. We all know they will come down in price. My merchant will buy and sell them.

Its the mere fun of getting one to pop in your bag.
Thats all really.

The comparisons to GM begging all stink. Because you get a greater chance to get the rewards as GM begging goes up.

You dont get higher chances for wood with high lumber jacking. 99 LJ is as good as 79 lb for oak. See what I mean. If LJ had greater chances to get resources as you approach 100 then Id say good comparision. LJ is more like level rewards.

So higher begging is already rewarded with greater chances to get treats.
99.99 down everything but the webs. (not logical)

if you really wanted it to be a begging thing, the it should be done differently.

But as I wrote, I forgot this isnt even about begging its TRICK OR TREAT.

All players should have a chance for the treat. Why beggars?

Now with higher begging, sure, greater chance to get the treat.

Its not logical.

Anyway its all moot. Time enjoy the fun.
Why do only lumberjacks have access to high end wood? Why do only miners have access to high end ore? So something is FINALLY given to GM Beggars and people can't stop complaining about it.

I wish they would have bound the webs to the account of the beggar that got them. At least then you guys could have something real to complain about.

S

Sindris

Don't see what all of the fuss is about. I made a new guy with 50 begging and have managed to macro him up to 80 already. I figure a couple more days and I'll have him ready in plenty of time to get all the goodies. Makes me wonder why I didn't do this last year. Oh yeah, there was no reason to!

D

Dame Judi

Psst.... and just how does one go up from GM begging? hehe... just pulling your leg.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for lumberjacking, the facts remain. At 99.9 lumby you can get all the woods minus one. At 100 lumby you can get all the woods. As it works now, at 99.9 begging you get all of the rewards when you beg. At GM Begging you get all of the rewards when you beg.
Uh, apparently, you know NOTHING about lumberjacking.

ALL THREE top end woods require 100 skill, not "All the woods minus one"

And, as it currently is, there is no real tier system set up for begging. the one rare affected is for trick or treating, which checks for GM begging. All the begging rares acquired through actual begging can be gotten at any level, last I checked.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...
80.1 - 0.05%
85.0 - 0.25%
90.0 - 0.50%
95.0 - 0.75%
99.9 - 0.995%
GM - 2%

Exactly Kim.
A little logic.

Setting at 100 is silly.
80 is good.
I believe there is an increase in reward anyway as you approach 100.

Why 80?
Its reasonable.

50 you can start with. Getting to 70 is overly easy. From then on it takes some time.

Uhh, do you not even read the replies in your own thread?

About 18 billion people have CLEARLY stated that they are against anything other then Gm yet you just can't accept it. ONCE A FRIGGIN YEAR AND YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE IT!!

You keep saying that 80 is "reasonable"
What the heck do you mean by "reasonable" and who are you to decide reason lol? What makes the numer 80 "reasonable" btw? Puuhleeze.

No offense but IMO "reasonable" would be to realize that you are dead wrong and have absolutely no support or logic to back your OP.

Bottom line is that in your own words you state that getting to 70 is "overly easy"

That being said you want to then grant a huge reward for merely gaining another 10 skill points? Clearly "unreasonable" IMO

W

Warrior of Time

I wonder how many people othere than the year round beggars know that any and all items during the rest of the year a 80+ beggar can get same as a GM. In fact some have got them lower than 80.

That the web is an item that a GM gets over the rest is for only 2 weeks or so. Then will again get the same items rest of the year the GM beggar will go back to getting the same as any other beggar.

The ones that have worked it for Halloween don't rejoice at getting a turnip, fish stake, bed roll or fishing pole. That no one else will buy at all.

As for the lanterns I would be happy to get 500 gp for one.

Be nice if the GM beggar would have just one item during the year that only a GM could get to make it worth getting all year round.

That we are talking about a 2 week only item. Not something that you get year round like wood or ingots.