• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Rethink Begging Bonus to 80.

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
R

RavenWinterHawk

Let see.
50 begging. Nah.

100 begging. What fun is that? Eventually all the rare halloween stuff comes down to about 200 to 300k. Webs and all that will be affordable.

80+ begging and a web has a chance to pop into your pack. Well thats fun.

Essentially there is no bonus for players that have been working a beggar say 75 and up.

Might be nice to rethink the rewards for 80ish beggars to get web, not 100 GM.

SIGNEDx2

B

Beastmaster

Should have worked it to GM by now. Maybe you could win a few of these begging tournaments. Us beggars banded together and plied our skill, and we won this round.

GM beggars for the win! :grouphug:

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything has to be easy doesn't it. Begging really isn't that hard to train... boring yes hard no. All you have to do is go to Luna mage shop and pull all 6 name bars and beg off all of them then by the time u get back to the first guy you can beg again.

A

Aboo

do we really need two threads?
I agree, but since there are two threads I have to put my 2¢ worth in and say no, leave it at GM. Begging is a fairly worthless skill, in my opinion, so giving those that took the time to GM it a bonus, albeit little, is a great idea.

L

Lunaticus

I hate to say it, but I'm completely against dropping the begging bonus to 80. There's only one time of the year (Halloween) where begging is even remotely useful, and those of us who endured the countless hours of aggravation to make it to GM should finally see a little reward for our troubles. As the OP stated, the Halloween items will eventually flood the market, and the prices will drop drastically, so it's not like they won't be available for the masses. Patients grasshopper, we beggars will make sure you get your webs! :gee:

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to say it, but I'm completely against dropping the begging bonus to 80. There's only one time of the year (Halloween) where begging is even remotely useful, and those of us who endured the countless hours of aggravation to make it to GM should finally see a little reward for our troubles. As the OP stated, the Halloween items will eventually flood the market, and the prices will drop drastically, so it's not like they won't be available for the masses. Patients grasshopper, we beggars will make sure you get your webs! :gee:
killed myself getting tracy to gm in the last month so you have two choice work on begging or wait and tracy will sell you some.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rethink why last year's treats were reissued again, with no thought at all to even renaming them?

Rethink why there are no pumpkins to be found, just moldy old junk treats from last year? Lol! I will say that the person who authorized last year's treats still deserves a hug for last year's kindness.

I am at 84 begging and I am fine with giving GM's this small, small, small , yes small thing. Did I mention small?

Besides with all the begging cheaters at work now webs should be cheap fairly soon.

Anyone can get yellow bread, fuzzy bacon and candy corn cheese with no white tip, ( Just how hard was sit to put the tip on? Must have been horribly hard to do!)

So for an old non gm beggar there is just nothing to do this time. Thanks ! hehe

P

Prince Caspian

GM Only.

It won't kill us to miss out on a single pixelcrack item to reward those who worked to raise this very difficult (and until now, pretty pointless) RP skill.

D

Devil_Woman

Patients grasshopper...
Begging for business already? Shouldn't you wait until you actually get your license?

And GM begging only for the webs. That was the original intention as stated by the devs, and they should keep their word.

This will be the third year for Trick or Treating in game, and each year they have said that the begging skill would provide better chances for the more rare items. That also means we've all had two full years to work on beggars for Halloween if that's something that matters to us.

Those who've worked hard and GM'd the skill deserve the reward as originally designed. Those of us who haven't (and my beggar is in this category) can just work the skill in anticipation of next year's special things and acquire this year's from those beggars who've done the work to GM.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your Begging has increased by 0.1. It is now 44.3.

LOL

Im am struuuuuuuuugling to GM begging now before Halloween....and because it's so hard i agree that it should be left at GM for the Webs.

There needs to be SOOOOOOME incentive for all this work!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm gonna say 80+ Begging........

I know I myself have been trying to work my beggar on and off for over 3 years now...... he's at 89.1.....

3 YEARS..... everytime I log him in if I beg for 20 min or 3 hours...... I gain .1 in a day.... Sure If I actually logged him in every day..... Maybe I'd be at GM by now..... I try to get to it once a week at least and you would think with 52 weeks in a YEAR I'd be somewhat closer to GM but NOOOO...... I don't have time to spend day in day out working begging..... and quite frankly I'm beginning to think that those who HAVE GM beggars either worked NON-stop round the clock at it ie they don't have a job..... Or they scripted it..... I stand for ages working my begging..... and can't ever get more than .1 ...... 3 hours I worked at it the other day.... never got more than my GG.... pretty lame..... Begging is by far harder to gain than Poisoning..... harder than Taming.... infact Taming is Simple compared to begging..... trust me I've GMed Taming even gotten to 120 taming before I could GM this skill.... Heck I've GMed poisoning 3 times, yet I'm stumped at Begging.....

Is there some special type of NPC I should be begging from over any other????? Is there some special area where begging gains are easier.... I've tried Cove, Luna, Heartwood, I've even gone to Fel Cove to see if I could get better gains.... still no good.... I thought surely by THIS halloween I'd be GM.... but no.... 89.1.... *rolls eyes*....

I heard folk say if you just stay in one room and beg from the same 6 npcs you gain just as fast well..... if you mean you get your .1 for the day and that's it then YES that's fine..... I stayed in the Luna Mage shop for 3 hours..... got .1....

Signed,

Frustrated on GL

K

Kiminality

I'm not fond of requiring GM skill.
Not because I want the items, or anything like that (though, the items would be nice).

I remember a time, when you'd play UO with whatever skills you had. You'd take you 70's swordsman, and go whack something you could handle.
Nowadays, the bias is not only towards GM skills, but in many cases, GM skills are insufficient.
Requiring GM is something that never sits well with me. Although rewarding a player for GM skill has often been the case, and I don't disagree with a bonus for GM skills, I don't like the trend of "GM or bust".

Personally, I'd say keep the base at the unintended 80, but skew the probabilities. Allow an adept (or is it journeyman) beggar to get the spiders webs, but make the odds incredibly slim.
That way, GM beggars are still getting the best odds, but you're not shutting out everyone else. Being inclusive makes it fun for more people.

P

Prince Caspian

Man! If I woulda just saved that Begging Scroll of Alacricty. I coulda sold it off for a bundle right now!

Oh, funny story, that. I offered to trade it to someone in my guild (thinking it a pretty useless thing), who offered a Stealing Scroll of Ala in exchange.

I switch over to my Ninja. I gobble the scroll and begin the business of stealing the ol' barrel in Bucky Den.... and realize....

...I dumped all my Steal into my last slot char a few days ago.

EVERYBODY LAUGH AT STUPID!

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not GM yet and there is a good chance I won't make it in time, but I still say GM only. Why penalize beggars for my laxness in working this skill up sometime in the 9 years I have played.

I'll just buy mine off someone who put in the work ahead a time if I don't make it.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

J

J0KING

Although I tossed my two cents in before... just so it doesnt get missed again...

Keep it at GM level... :)

Have Fun!!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Truthfully, I'd just be happy if Trick or treating could give begging gains.

I'm already at 86 begging, having started it 2 years ago, but I'm spending most of my game time working my other characters, and since I get my gains through play, not shortcuts (I don't use golems, and only use Satyrs for skills like the last 5 points of LP).

S

Salty Pete

Let see.
50 begging. Nah.

100 begging. What fun is that? Eventually all the rare halloween stuff comes down to about 200 to 300k. Webs and all that will be affordable.

Essentially there is no bonus for players that have been working a beggar say 75 and up.

SIGNEDx2
We don't want your kind in our profession. Go back to Trammel Newb!

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't it Ironic? don't you think? That someone is begging for begging to be easier?

If it were possible i would give the OP +5 to begging just for doing it but anyone else here on out has to get the skill.

GM only bonus!

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let see.
50 begging. Nah.

SIGNEDx2
Gm only of course.

But you do appear to have serious begging capabilities if your posts begging the Devs to make the game easier are any indication. Keep up the good work :)

X

Xel Naga

GM Only

already being published to origin, stop whining and go gm it before it hits your shard.

R

RavenWinterHawk

GM Only

already being published to origin, stop whining and go gm it before it hits your shard.
Well I see most people agree with 80ish.

100 GM doesnt do much for rarity or anything.

As long as its set up to keep a new 50 player from getting everything, I dont see the problem with 80.

Or better yet if you going to do 100 for web
Do 90 for cake and liquor etc.
Do 85 for this or that.

Its illogical.

50 will get you everything but the web
99 will get you everything but the web.

Disparity.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was nearing GM in begging, before I realized I wanted to keep glorious karma on all my main-account characters.

*gains up to 54.7 on the newly designated Halloween character*
( ah well, there's always next year :) )

(er ... no, I guess that really isn't relevant to the discussion ... just a lament I wanted to post somewhere; I don't have strong opinions on 80 vs 100)

D

D'Amavir

As long as its set up to keep a new 50 player from getting everything, I dont see the problem with 80.

Do 85 for this or that.

Its illogical.

Disparity.
Most people? According to the two threads about it on the beggar board, most people support GM only. Or you do mean most people with Raven in their name? Or did you mean most people that don't have a gm beggar? Or maybe its most people that agree with you? heh, hard to know which most people you mean.

And you don't think that making it GM Beggar only won't help keep them more rare than allowing 80 skill beggars have it? Really? So there are more GM beggars out there than 80 skill beggars? Gotcha.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
me thinks raven posted too much and was too lazy to gain .01 a day since halloween, the event he posts about scoreing good money from!!!!!!!!!

gm beggars rule LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

raven will sell u webs make offer lol!!!!!!!

Do 85 for this or that.

Its illogical.

Disparity.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM only please!! I have one GM beggar and it took forever, started another and may or may not make it in before it hit's prodo shards (90.9 for the kids and hubby) But it's about time we get some consideration for working the skill.

Um and to the person that said most people want 80 skill. Go Back and count out of 31 posts almost 2/3's said GM.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, given that there's a 1 minute or more timer between successful attempts on the same NPC by ANY character, isn't it about time that the 10 second timer per attempt go away (or at least get reduced)?

GM Beggar is great for the specials, but I don't see how the 10 second use timer is justifiable anymore, since it's not like you can sit and repeatedly beg the same NPC over and over again.

S

Salty Pete

GM Beggar is great for the specials, but I don't see how the 10 second use timer is justifiable anymore, since it's not like you can sit and repeatedly beg the same NPC over and over again.
There are actually two timers on the begging skill... One timer is a 10 second skill use timer. The other is a one minute (or maybe its less?) timer before you can beg from the same NPC again. The latter is actually a new timer that must have been added when they added items. It used to be that you could beg from the same NPC over and over again. You'd get money as long as they had gold in their pack.

I wish they would either put begging back to what it was, or simply remove the skill use timer. We don't need two seperate timers.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as much as it pains me to not have a snowball's chance at a web, I agree with GM only.... this skill is a real pain in the butt, and all those who worked it to GM sure as heck deserve a bit of recognition

they also deserve my gold when they put them on their vendors

*flutters eyes at New Thunder*

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*wonders if GM beggers have better odds of being given something from the devs*

*wonders if it is wrong for beggers to sell what they have been given*

*wonders if I'm the only one who wonders about these sorts of things*

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've thought much about it and I think you should be able to get webs at 96.4

That seems like the best possible number to.....errrr...96.5...that's the best number to start getting them....yea .....96.5 and higher....:mf_prop:

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree , it should be gm only, once you hit about 93 it takes forever , i would love to say i gm begging the old fashion way, But i cannot, heres a tip for all you at 95 or so..

Few years back if you remember we all got a increase of plus 5 skill or stat bonus.... i happen to save a couple chars with that and used it to gm begging

And i am not saying because i am at gm , it should be that way,because its a rather hard skill to gm

R

RavenWinterHawk

I agree , it should be gm only, once you hit about 93 it takes forever , i would love to say i gm begging the old fashion way, But i cannot, heres a tip for all you at 95 or so..

Few years back if you remember we all got a increase of plus 5 skill or stat bonus.... i happen to save a couple chars with that and used it to gm begging

And i am not saying because i am at gm , it should be that way,because its a rather hard skill to gm
Well as I stated. Those that have 100 GM seem to think its a good idea.
I may or may not have 100.
Eitherway, I make my gold buying and selling.

Having 100 GM to get 1 item
and being able to have 50 to 99 to get the others is silly.

And those that dont have GM also thinks its a good idea.

What you cant have 2 good ideas. We all agree. Some are just selfish.

We agree there should be a minimum to get the webs. We disagree on the minimum.

So we all agree.

D

D'Amavir

Well as I stated. Those that have 100 GM seem to think its a good idea.
I may or may not have 100.
Eitherway, I make my gold buying and selling.

Having 100 GM to get 1 item
and being able to have 50 to 99 to get the others is silly.

And those that dont have GM also thinks its a good idea.

What you cant have 2 good ideas. We all agree. Some are just selfish.

We agree there should be a minimum to get the webs. We disagree on the minimum.

So we all agree.
Actually, we don't all agree. Its not GM to get 1 item and 50-99 to get all the others. Its GM to get 1 item and ANYONE ELSE can get all the others. You don't need any begging at all to get any of the items EXCEPT the one item that is designed as a reward for GM BEGGING. There was never any mention of a reward just for having begging. They said there would be a reward for GM Beggars. And, hopefully, they followed up on that statement and made there reward for GM Beggars while anyone else can get the rest.

Of course you want it to be below GM. Because you have below GM Begging. Duh. And most people DO have below GM Begging. Its not a fun train at all. And not rewarding at all. Well, except for that new GM Begging reward for halloween. Ever hear of it? The spider web?

N

NewThunder

No! I just hit GM begging this morning. The skill is such a grind, those that GM it should get this tiny bit of love.

W

Warrior of Time

I been a GM beggar for over 2 years now. This is the first time they ever got anything for the GMs and everyone that has less thinks they have worked hard enough to get what the GMs ones do.

It is like a person with 100 parry getting the same defence as a person that paid the price of the really hard gains to get to 120 with out the need of a scroll to get there.

I think it should be GM and anyone that wants a gift that a GM beggar gets work it up durring the coming year.

I can't name a year before that anyone would work Begging for the reason to roll play.

btw anyone know how to get past 75 in camping for mine.

I want Begging, Camping, and Herding. Over the years I have got the Begging and Herding.

I wonder what they will give out for us happy campers that everyone wants.

Oh I know why not a camp fire. um they did that one. They didn't need the skill for that one. Everyone can get a large one with no skill.

D

D'Amavir

I been a GM beggar for over 2 years now. This is the first time they ever got anything for the GMs and everyone that has less thinks they have worked hard enough to get what the GMs ones do.

It is like a person with 100 parry getting the same defence as a person that paid the price of the really hard gains to get to 120 with out the need of a scroll to get there.

I think it should be GM and anyone that wants a gift that a GM beggar gets work it up durring the coming year.

I can't name a year before that anyone would work Begging for the reason to roll play.

btw anyone know how to get past 75 in camping for mine.

I want Begging, Camping, and Herding. Over the years I have got the Begging and Herding.

I wonder what they will give out for us happy campers that everyone wants.

Oh I know why not a camp fire. um they did that one. They didn't need the skill for that one. Everyone can get a large one with no skill.
How about GM campers can pop down a tent in some mystical forest that allows them to wake up in a strange new land filled with quests and monsters for them to explore and enjoy? Quests that give things like camping based deco items that these campers could then either use in their own homes or sell to those interested in them while not causing any sort of imbalance in pvp or pvm?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My beggar is only at 87.2 right now, and it's doubtful I will have him to GM by the time Halloween rolls around.

Still, I vote no. I started begging with no intention of gaining an edge when it comes to trick or treating. I started it because I wanted to work a skill that not many people have interest in. I did it because I wanted to try something new. I say if anything, GM beggars deserve a little something extra for their effort, all year round. GM begging is difficult to achieve, Right up there with taming if you ask me.

So no, it should only be GM beggars who get a bonus. And honestly, I despise all these people who I have seen lately power gaming begging just to get the webs to sell, because I know that the majority of those people will stone off begging and stick it in a crate not to be thought about until next Halloween comes around, when they can use it to make a profit again.

E

Eslake

Hmm and my beggar is sitting at 92.4.
I guess I'll just set it to decay.

Should GM beggars have an advantage? Of course!
Shoud GM skill be required to have ANY Chance at something? Of course Not!

Those who think GM-Only, Which actually makes more sense to you?

1 - Someone with 0.1 begging can get the Exact same items as someone with 99.9, and only at 100.00 is there a difference?

2 - The items be spread out so that 20, 30, 50, 70, 80, 90, 100 or similar is required to obtain them?

3 - All items "Can" be begged at a reasonable skill (say 50 since you can START with that) and the higher your skill beyond that, the MORE LIKELY you are to get the better items?

To me, 2 or 3 either one would make sense, but 1 (the way it is planned) is simply rediculous.

D

D'Amavir

Hmm and my beggar is sitting at 92.4.
I guess I'll just set it to decay.

Should GM beggars have an advantage? Of course!
Shoud GM skill be required to have ANY Chance at something? Of course Not!

Those who think GM-Only, Which actually makes more sense to you?

1 - Someone with 0.1 begging can get the Exact same items as someone with 99.9, and only at 100.00 is there a difference?

2 - The items be spread out so that 20, 30, 50, 70, 80, 90, 100 or similar is required to obtain them?

3 - All items "Can" be begged at a reasonable skill (say 50 since you can START with that) and the higher your skill beyond that, the MORE LIKELY you are to get the better items?

To me, 2 or 3 either one would make sense, but 1 (the way it is planned) is simply rediculous.
Number 1 makes sense to me. Its a reward for being a grandmaster. Not a reward for being a master. Not a reward for being a journeyman. But a reward for being a grandmaster.

You don't need any skill to get any other item during trick or treating. Begging is not required at all to get any of the other items. The only item that begging is required for is the one item that the devs added as a reward for being a grandmaster beggar.

I don't have any points in camping. But I would be totally for a unique deco item that only GM Campers can get. I don't have any points in Taste ID. But I would be totally for a unique deco item that only GM tasters can get.

Using your logic, let's say they changed it to 80 Begging to get the webs. Now, why is 80 better than 79.9? So let's change it to 70. But, why is 70 better than 69.9? Go down that path for a bit till you get to .1 getting them. Then, why is .1 better than 0? Talk about ridiculous.