• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing an assassin not possible by design ??

C

Connor_Graham

Now, please, WITHOUT using +skill items give me a viable and efficient, by design, template, who could do this within the 720 skill CAP.
Everyone except you it seems. :pancakes:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to be one of 'those' people but wow - what a Trammie OP. If you've ever been to Felucca then you would know people play/have played - most stealthers now use archery - such a template, even with poisoning included which to my mind is a more fitting skill for an assassin. Just because a skill isn't at Legendary level doesn't necessarily affect its effectiveness when used with the right set of complimenting skills.

Then, please, show me WITHOUT having to use +skill items how could such an assassin template be played.

That is, an assassin that lives and moves in the darkness (i.e. very reliably can use hiding and stealthing) AND can peak damage so as to kill in no more than 3 hits even when the target has an all 70s suit.....
Did you not read my post? Here let me say it again:

Just because a skill isn't at Legendary level doesn't necessarily affect its effectiveness when used with the right set of complimenting skills.

I use 80 Stealth for 100% success chance in leather armour. Thats 40 points right there. 120 Anatomy without Healing? Forgeddaboutit. The damage boost is not worth the 120 points used. 120 Tactics is also not really a necessity, you could probably drop this to GM...+20 points. Thats 180 points free and its still a viable assassin template able to strike quickly and fade away into the shadows or however you want to put it. Maybe if you read the forums relating to the assassin skills you would have a better understanding of what is possible. Also if you want to 3 shot people then more of that is dependant on your weapon, not your skills.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In UO your not going to kill an Experienced PvPer in 1-3 hits in a 1v1. an assassin today by UO standards is a player who takes the kill shot. 90% of those templates are stealth archers. 95% of those people dont need +skill items though some do only if their jewelry happens to have a skill on it that they can use but thats just a bonus if that happens being that other mods are more important, or they use something like the hunters headdress just for the HCI and +20 archery.

T

Thangorodrim

Now, please, WITHOUT using +skill items give me a viable and efficient, by design, template, who could do this within the 720 skill CAP.

Thanks.

No, I will not tell you. You do not deserve any assistance since you do not attempt to learn on your own.

I will gladly provide a demonstration in game, however. What shard are you on?

O

Old Man of UO

Then, please, show me WITHOUT having to use +skill items how could such an assassin template be played.

That is, an assassin that lives and moves in the darkness (i.e. very reliably can use hiding and stealthing) AND can peak damage so as to kill in no more than 3 hits even when the target has an all 70s suit.....
Why not make it one hit? Why not limit it to 500 points? No matter what answer you get from people, no matter how much GOOD advice, you respond with nonsense. All you are trying to do is create controversy, not actually provide or even ask for anything useful, and that becomes annoying to everyone. Take Petra's advice and stop. :talktothehand:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why not make it one hit?

So, in how many hits should an "assassin" kill his or her target ?

10 ? 20 ? in a half hour fight ?

You see,I make a clear distinction between a warrior and an assassin.

I have no problem with a warrior engaging a half hour fight, that's the role of a warrior.

But I do have a problem seeing an assassin needing too many hits or too much a long time to kill the target.

The way I see it, as assassin should deliver fast and quick and dissolve into darkeness in a blink of an eye.

A perfect assassin would be someone who'd kill without anyone even noticing that he or she was there, ever.

That's an extreme, of course, but it is to give an idea of what I think are the differences between a warrior, a fighter and an assassin.

Of course, this should be balanced somehow and that is why I said that the great killing power of an assassin should be balanced by an extremely low defense ability.

The way I see it, an assassin should be able to kill in 1-3 hits but should also go down if hit in a couple of hits..........

That is to my opinion what a roleplaying assassin should be like......

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would appear that the assumption made in my post was correct.....

My guess is that you have no interest in being an Assassin and this thread is to:
- Babble on about the way you think things should be regardless of other peoples opinions. (Has anyone ever changed your opinion on anything?).
- Enjoy yourself by disagreeing with anyone that expresses an opinion that doesn't agree with your own.
- Another thread to increase your post count
You have not bothered to take the time to......
- Go do some research
- Investigate the other posters thoughts and comments
- Be swayed or even consider a different view other than your own.

Because of your actions (or lack there of), I can only assume that you are only here to make contrary posts and argue.
In my book, that makes you a Troll

eg....
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
If I could ignore you I would. Since I can't, I'll never open another one of your posts. I hope others follow suit and you can get your jollies elsewhere.

Q

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the problem ? The problem is that is we have Legendary status possible I do not see why a player should be prevented to play a "basic" role at legendary....

I mean, a player could have a Legendary tamer, a Legendary Warrior, a Legendary Mage, a Legendary Bard but never a Legendary Assassin ???

Now, if one wanted to have a Legendary Assassin/Tamer/Bard/Mage than I would agree in that not bein possible, for example, but a BASIC Legendary Assassin should be possible WITHOUT having to necessarily rely on +skill items, forcedly........
Popps, I hate to be the bearer of bad news; however, before you start down the road of trying to make an assassin, you should probably know that neither you or anyone else who looks up your character's information will ever see the magic words of "Legendary Assassin" on your character's paperdoll.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may be able to see Grandmaster Assassin if you have no skills going beyond 100 and have GM poisoning :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
popps, I can appreciate your zeal: even though I disprove of most changes you propose, at least you are dogged in your efforts. Because calling for reform is so important to you, let me make the following sincere suggestions.

If you would like to appeal yourself to the developers, you should consider the following items:
--Be willing to try game mechanics, yourself; avoid calling for changes to aspects of the game wherein you have no experience.
--Choose your battles; rather than saturate the boards with a broad variety of complains, your voice would be amplified if you united your posts behind one or two key items.
--When others respond to your concerns, try not to respond in a way that appears disagreeable on principle; if you are willing to work through issues with other players without being contradictory, you might could unite other UO subscribers behind your cause.

I think that changes are sincerely important to you, but I also believe that you could make your case better if you made some adjustments to your approach.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have an assassin. and i can guarantee that I can kill anyone in the game.
You just have to think, be patient, and be smart.

Out of curiosity, do you need your assassin to rely on +skill items ??

If not, what are the template skills and points ?
While I do have +skill items. I definitely don't need them.
I only have them for stealth of course. Im not going to list my template here. But the way I kill people who are marked for death is key. you have to be creative. there are many other ways of killing people than hitting tab and double clicking them.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't believe you all fell for Popps' troll again!

silent death197831

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All i have to say on this post is Go IMBUING it make any temp easly made now. As for an assissin i love mine.

120 fencing
105 ninja 120 with item
100 hiding
90 anat
65 stealth 100 with items
90 tactics
100 healing
50 med
720 total

And a suit for this build is super cheap and very easy to put together.
and with that i still do 35 damage on ai's and i do 38 on a death strike.
so i am not understanding how an assissin cannot be built expesially with the resourse we have in the game now. thier are many other variants of this template also if you want. just got to find what works for you. as for tracking be a human and use the 20 skill or drop anat for tracking. CHUGGING FTW.

But for the original post i agree with tazar the original assissin only had.
hiding 100
stealth 100
fencing/ swords 100
poisoning 100
healing 100
tactics 100
anat 100
and that was before power scrolls and all the extra stuff we have now.
So the original Assissin was a workable template without items.

G

georgemarvin2001

The problem is that you're assuming that an assassin is a melee template. An assassin sneaks in and kills his target when he's totally unexpected.
Assassins have been around since the beginning of UO. The old template was:
100 hiding
100 stealth
100 stealing
100 snooping
100 magery
100 wrestling (disarm your opponent and steal his weapon)
100 fencing (newbie daggers were the fastest weapon in the game, and stayed with you when you died)

Assassins were probably the most profitable template in the early years. You would sneak up to a warrior when he was heavily damaged while fighting, steal his bandages, disarm him, steal his weapon, then cast poison and use mage spells to finish him off. A warrior without any way to fight or heal was just dead meat. Likewise, you would steal a mage's black pearls first. Always carry a couple of deadly poisoned newbie daggers to finish them off. One hit and the poison would do the trick; neither template could heal or cure without regs or bandages, and you had already stolen any cure potion they happened to have handy. And they couldn't even run away; just para them and they had to stand there and die.

After AOS, it changed a little. Chivalry let warriors heal without bandages or potions, item insurance stopped you from stealing their weapons, mages could wear 100% LRC armor and there was no longer any reason to take stealth past about 80. It made it harder to keep the victims from putting up a fight. You would see assassins putting food and trapped boxes down in dungeons, and hapless victims would eat the treats and open the boxes, at which time the assassin would spring out of hiding and kill them. Also, Covetous Level 3 entrance was a favorite hiding place; people would run out of there after a lich had tagged them good, only to find an assassin at the door waiting to finish them off.

I believe that the original template would work today; you couldn't make ungodly amounts of gold like the early assassins did; they used to make so much gold and cause so much grief that the Devs had to nerf them. But you could just sit close to a moongate and watch people fight; when somebody is almost dead after winning a victory, leap out of hiding and waylay them. Go into the dungeons and kill the people who are farming the monsters for silver.

Don't fight a fighter on his own terms. You're playing an ASSASSIN, not a melee fighter. Fight dirty. Sneak up on him. Cathim when he's at his weakest, totally unaware.

UO originally had a good idea in limiting skills to 100 and the total to 700. They wanted everybody to have to choose 7 skills out of the 60-odd skills available. You don't need to cram every skill that's remotely useful to being an assassin, warrior, magic user, etc. into a template for it to be fun and viable.