• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player Books

Brock

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So I'm trying to get copies of player books written by/for Role Players (of Catskills mostly). But more than actually collecting the books that have been passed down from player to player I'd like to make them available to everyone. One way I'd like to do this is by transcribing the text from in game text to out of game text. I'm not a fan of the EC and I don't even have it installed. I'd be willing to install it if there is a way to copy from in game text, such as books to out of game text. I don't expect this to be an advertised and well document feature of the EC so most of my searches have come up empty handed.

Does anyone know if this is a feature? Can any EC fans test this out and let me know?

I mean imagine reading on the side of the Third Dawn box (since that is the last hard copy of UO that I bought) "Now copy from UO to text!" that would be a horrible feature to advertise. That would be the feature that would make me not buy a game.

Also on a side note if anyone happens to have copies of role player written books, particularly from Catskills, I'd love to see if you can help me save some time.

Brock

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I suppose its worth mentioning that many of these books I'm copying are locked down in player housing or even in some "GM-blessed" locations. So the Inscription "copy" from in game book to in game book won't work.

As a work around I've been taking screen shots of each page of the books pasting them into an MS Word file. Then, while on my train ride to/from work, I'm manually retyping the text in that MS Word file. This is a cumbersome process. If anyone can help speed up the process I'm open to suggestions.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use Pinco's UI with the EC, it comes with this feature:

Book Log: if enabled, everytime you open a book, its content will be saved on the "Logs" folder of the game as text file.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a work around I've been taking screen shots of each page of the books pasting them into an MS Word file. Then, while on my train ride to/from work, I'm manually retyping the text in that MS Word file. This is a cumbersome process. If anyone can help speed up the process I'm open to suggestions.
Wow that's some serious effort! As Deraj says above try the feature in Pinco UI to just create text files of each book.

Brock

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I tried Pinco's UI a few years ago (for other reasons) and I could never get it to work. None of my gumps where coming up. But that is essentially the functionality I'm looking for so I'll give it a try again.