• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] 'Perfect' Craftsman Template

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Good morning all! I was wondering about what would be considered the 'perfect' craftsman template. I think it would be valuable for those making mules to have an idea of what they could/should be looking to create. Personally, I think the following would be okay:

'Physical' Crafter:
  • Armslore
  • Lumberjacking
  • Mining
  • Blacksmithing
  • Bowcraft/Fletching
  • Carpentry
  • Tinkering
'Magical' Crafter:
  • Magery
  • Meditation
  • Alchemy
  • Armslore (Maybe Mysticism instead)
  • Tailoring (Maybe Necromancy instead)

Not much experience with this, so suggestions?

P.S. - I left out stuff like fishing, cooking and glassblowing. I really like those skills, but I was hoping to focus on the hardcore adventuring equipment generators.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Edit: There's not much reason to put Tailor down into the second Template, and have Lumberjack on the crafter, with the changes made several years ago concerning how boards are made.

You'd be better off with Tailoring on the top template, but the obvious flaw there is that the template would need 740 points skill for optimum BOD filling and pulling, and you can only squeeze 15 points out of mining (and then only get 20 swings with the Jacob's Pickaxe before having to wait for an hour to refill). This limits you to mining for Verite and valorite via ore elementals from Garg picks (and ore carts, if old enough), with none of the ore coming from the actual mining. the ASH Blacksmith bonus doesn't apply to BOD pulls, and there's a huge difference between
-> 50% Weapons BODs, 25% Iron Armor (including non-combining "famers"), 25% colored Armor at 70 to 109.9 skill
and
-> 50% Weapons, 5% Iron Armor, 45% Colored armor at 120 skill.

Bowcrafting/Fletching and Mining would be a good toggle (have one or the other on the character at any given time, due to soulstones). After all, You don't need mining for making bows (except for gems that come as a side effect of mining), while if you recycle ingots, mining is mandatory (instead of unraveling for ingredients - after a while, your residue/essence intake gets high enough to where that's too wasteful of ingots). You also need Stone from mining for Masonry (part of Carpentry) and sand for Glassblowing (part of Alchemy).

Use the other 80 points for magery, or a mix of magery & cooking, if you're going to craft house add-ons a lot. You can do both 95 magery and 45 music on an elf, with the right equipment (elf can get all 45 Music points from equipment -song-woven mantle sleeves, imbued +15 on both jewelry & Minstrel talisman), and go all the way to 120 Magery if you swap out the music jewelry for magery (but, that's not likely to be needed).
In fact, if you go the cooking & magery route (for add-ons, not to be a full-fledged cook), you can get up to 50 magery fairly cheaply from just equipment (spellbook, jewelry, alchemy talisman - the latter shared with the second character), 65 if you want to drop serious money into it (replace +15 imbued ring with Crystalline Ring, and get a Magery Mark of the Travesty).

Glassblowing is part of Alchemy, so you got that covered already.

The way I'd do it:

'Physical' Crafter (elf):
  • Armslore
  • Tailoring (120)
  • Mining*
  • Blacksmithing (120)
  • Tinkering
  • Carpentry
  • 80 Magery, with equipment that can go as high as 120 if you want to scroll that high
  • 0 Music, but equipment to raise it to 45.
  • *Bowcraft/Fletching (on soulstone - swap with mining, or do completely without mining, and just unravel all your runic crafting rejects with character 2)
'Combat' Crafter:
  • Magery
  • Mysticism
  • Meditation
  • Alchemy
  • Evaluate Intelligence
  • *Necromacy swappable in for when the character isn't imbuing(via soulstone), for either combat or spellbook crafting

Others:
Cooking, fishing and Cartography, and you can do those on a T-hunter/fisher.
Lumberjack moved to a combat character that uses 2-handed weapons (then make them a really nice axe)
Mining can be moved off your smith if you intend to unravel everything you don't keep (but I advise just swapping the skill out with Bowcraft as needed).

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you lost me on that one Basara. It looks like 720 points max unless there is some scrolls I am unaware of. Now the magical crafter can go 740 or more. However I am so not into mules. I have a bowcrafter who is also an axer. I really enjoy playing him. With the right equiptment he is an efficient pvm guy
Bowcrafting 100
lumberjacking 100
swords 100
anatomy 100
tactics 100
healing 105
chivalry 93 or so going up
rest in focus
he makes bows chops the wood and can kill some monsters....well maybe not a high level killer but enough to stay at Glorious Lord and the crafting sig is made by Lord Nestor although he hasn't made a bow for anyone in years. Just my style of playing...old school

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oops - didn't notice he had tailor down on the bottom template. I edited my reply.

Truthfully, there's so many skills that require arms lore that it's not that great of an idea to have two characters with AL-dependent skills. Even in the revisions I made, if you ever got the urge to make a glass weapon, you'd have to stone Arms Lore onto the character with Alchemy.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if the character is making stuff all the time it makes sense to have arms lore on them. It's a bit of a hassel to stone it off and on every time but if every time is only once a month it's no biggie.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went with:

120 Smith
120 Tailor
100 Tinker
100 Carpenter
100 Fletcher
100 Arms Lore
20 Music (45 with jewelry)
60 Magery (100 with jewelry & Tome of Knowledge)

and

120 Imbuing
100 Alchemy
100 Inscription
100 Cooking
100 Item Identification
100 Forensics
100 Magery

If doing scrolls I soulstone off Item I.D. & Forensics and replace them with Meditation & Focus.

Mining & Lumberjacking are something I rarely do anymore and are soulstoned for use if desired. I typically put them on a Stealther/Mage or Healer/mage if I use them.

E

elspeth

I've got mine a bit differently. My "mule" is bs/tailor

120 bs
120 tailor
100 armslore
100 carp
100 tink
95.7 cooking
24 music + jewels (need to get better items and drops this completely)
60.3 magery + jewels to get to 84 (so can lower this if I want)

I used to have 100 mining but dropped it for armslore. I currently have mining on my t-hunter who combines that with cartography, bardic skills and some magery and also alchemy. I simply put items I want to smelt into a salvage bag and then leave it in house for miner to pick up later. Of course, I didn't realize that alchemists can now make glass weapons, but are those gargoyle only anyways? because I don't have a gargoyle. I could easily remove cooking and drop alchemy back on this character if it is worth while.

My husband and I kinda share our accounts so I created a lumberjack on his account who was also a swordsman with bowcrafting (though I've currently moved skills off him to allow for armslore and imbuing training and when done training I'm thinking I'll create our first garg char probably with mysticism and move imbuing over) This lumberjack is also our fisher who we don't use much, partly because we don't have High Seas expansion yet. But he has hiding as well for use in fel resource gathering.

Finally, I have inscribing on my pure mage who I've been thinking about adding necromany to. Am I right in understanding from these posts that necromancy is now useful to a scribe and I definitely should do this?

In this way I have most crafting skills on a mule but crafting skills that give bonuses to combat are spread out to the chars that they will be useful on. I really like things set up this way though imbuing doesn't really fit, because I doubt either of us will really use a mystic very much. My husband loves to run his mage/bard and I usually play my tamer. But because we tend to just play one char each it doesn't really make much difference one way or the other.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbuing made arms lore useless again, so none of my crafters have arms lore.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Barok - What the (bleep) are you talking about?

IF you're talking Damage Increase on weapons, you have a point only when Imbuing - using a high end runic where you're already going to have 5 properties (maybe even 6 or 7, if making a recipe weapon), it's just as valuable as ever.

Arms Lore is pretty much mandatory for making armor, ESPECIALLY for imbuing. You make a bunch of items with regular tools until you get most of the exceptional/Lore bonus in the resists you DON'T want to imbue.

Example:

You need a leather gorget with 10/19/5/8/12.

Base is 2/4/3/3/3; Barbed adds 2/1/2/3/4

So, you get 4/5/5/6/7 plus the ex/lore bonus.

It's a lot easier to get the target resists with only 1 imbue, if you can craft something with 6 bonus points in Physical, 2 in poison, and 5 in energy - which is a lot easier to do with 20 bonus points than 15. After all, in the case without Arms lore, you only have a tolerance of 2 points out of your target range, as opposed to 7 point tolerance at GM Lore. And, the resists added by the leather and the bonuses DO NOT COUNT toward imbuing weight or as properties - only the ones you alter the values of by imbuing a different resist over it. What's in fire resist, of course, will be imbued over - which is why you'd use Barbed to begin with.

Typically, you'll spend a great deal more time and resources trying for pieces to imbue without Arms Lore, than with it - maybe even ten times or more over what you'd do with Lore - or you end up wasting 1-2 additional imbue slots on your suits on resists you could have gotten easily with the higher arms lore.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for me the perfect craftsman template is a bunch of soulstones.

i dont really have a set crafter.. when i need something made just pop the skill on whatever char i want the name to be on the item. :)

K

Kayne

My main crafter runs with
Arms Lore
Smithy
Carpentry
Magery
Mining
Music
Tailoring

I used to have tailoring and carp on a second crafter and tinkering on the above. But decided to switch around in favour of the second crafter being
alchemy 100
bowcraft 100
lumberjack 100
magery 100
tinkering 100
cooking 100

Though until my imbue is fully trained its on the second char since its human and has the space. Also considering making one these a low combat character too so I have reason to use it more