• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Peace Taming : How does it really work ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am asking, because I tried it the first time and am not sure what to think about.

I thought the way it worked, was Peace Tame --> Tame --> Anger the Beast --> Peace Tame --> Tame again

Rinse and repeat until tamed.

Well, I noticed the following :

First, the skills delay make it quite impossible to have the time to Peace Tame after a one "Anger the Beast" and subsequent attack from the beast if the damage it does is too high (fire breathers for example).

Second, occasionally I would get the message, when peacing, that the beast was already calmed. Yet, seconds before I attemped to tame and (failed) getting the "Anger the Beast" message. Yet, I got the message but the Beast stayed calm.

Not always though, only occasionally. It seems unpredictable to tell whether a tame attempt will or not un-calm the beast.

This unpredictability makes the peace-tame whole dynamic rather unreliable, IMHO.

So, I wonder, those who peace tame how do they do it so as to have a predictable way to tame ?

Thanks.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple of critters break the peacing way to quick to be able to use peace taming on them. Greater dragons it only lasts a couple seconds, they will be able to attack before you can use your taming skill. Cu sidhe you might get off a couple tries to start the tame attempt before it breaks peace and bites you on the next anger.

A good way to see how it really works is to go out and peace tame a nightmare. It lasts a decent amount of time on them. I usually can go through all the *you seem to anger the beast* and get two taming attempts off before it breaks the peace.

Angering them doesn't break the peace. A peaced critter will take a step towards you when you anger it, but it won't attack. Just maintain your two step distance. Enough damage will break peacing, try and not hit the critter when you anger it and auto swing back.

It all has to do with the barding difficulty it seems. The higher the barding difficulty the faster they break the peace.

That said, I usually use my stealth tamer for taming so I just lead tame everything like I always have. I take the bard tamer out when I go farm mares, though. Much easier.

The Anger message is just another thing you have to work through before starting a tame attempt on high end critters. It isn't the actual taming attempt. You have a 1 in 20 chance of actually starting a tame attempt instead of angering the critter.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As noted above, there are some creatures you can't successfully direct peace in order to tame them (e.g., greater dragons, cu sidhe). Their barding difficulty is just too high, even if your tamer has 120 peacemaking and musicianship skills.

For creatures that my bard has a good chance at directly peacing, I get them to follow my tamer off to a quiet spot or at least make sure no other spawn is in the area where I'm going to be taming. If the creature reacts aggressively to taming, you still have to lead tame even if the creature is peaced, so allow for a good amount of walking room.

Make sure the sound is on. Peace the creature. If peacemaking was successful, wait for the song to finish before you attempt to tame. Start trying to tame the creature. If you get the message that you've started to tame, start slowly walking away. If you don't walk away, you'll just keep smacking the critter, even though it's peaced, and chances are good you'll anger it enough to stop the whole taming process.

Depending on how high your skills are and how the RNG does, you will usually be able to get through at least 2 to 3 attempts at taming before the calming effect wears off. After a while, you get pretty good at noticing through a combination of listening and watching that the beast is getting aggravated and is ready to try to take a chunk out of you and it's going to be time to peace it again as soon as the taming attempt has ended.

I don't know what else to tell you, popps, other than just keep practicing at it and make sure you have a couple of good macros set up. I have one that just uses the taming skill and brings up a cursor as well as one more that tames last object. I use the second one repeatedly until I get the taming message and then start slowly walking away.

I will usually take a crack at peace taming nightmares when my tamer's peacemaking and music skills are around the GM level. I don't try to tackle peace taming dragons (regular ones), hiryus, fire steeds or rune beetles until music is at least 105 and peacemaking is at least GM, and even then it can be kind of iffy. Things start going much better with those creatures when music hits about 110 and peacemaking is 105 or higher.

For greater dragons, I use area peacing and tapping on it while in combat mode to safely get my target to the taming area. Then I ditch the mount and use honor to tame it. It isn't all that unusual to have to go through more than one dot of honor, waiting 5 minutes between each couple of tries, depending on taming/lore skill levels and how well the RNG cooperates.

I rarely tame cu sidhe because I don't really like them and most of my tamers are human. However, I do often help a friend with the taming by area peacemaking while he does it. Even with legendary peacemaking and music skills, you really don't have much success trying to direct peace a cu sidhe that's never been tamed before. You might, however, be able to successfully direct peace and tame a tamed and released cu sidhe because its barding difficulty won't be as high as one that's never been tamed before.

U

uoBuoY

From your post on Peacing, I'm guessing you have less than 110 Peace. At 120 it last a lot longer.

You can equip a bow (no arrows) to avoid auto-defending.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrug*

As has been said, the anger is not an indication that peace is broken.

I have 120 Music and 120 Peacemaking. I use either an Exceptional Instrument (+10% to peacemaking?) OR a Flute of Renewal Dragon (aligned) Slayer (+15% ? to Peacemaking vs Dragons).

On Greater Dragons and Hiryu's I will use the Flute of Renewal, everything else gets the Exceptional Instrument.

I have, for example, peaced a Greater Dragon, ran up to tame, got the anger a few times and then got a Start to tame, move off 3 steps or so and have the Greater just sit there, unable to do anything. I DO NOT LIVE by any pretense to expectations of being able to reliably do that.

I believe Dex is the criteria for how long a critter will be peaced, on average. Meaning some Peaces are better than others yadda yadda yadda.

I do not waste the time to peace tame a Cu, but they are realtivly easy to peace tame.

One last point, the lower the critters health is, the less able they are to move when peaced, this of course does include beaten down Greater Dragons.

W

Whinemaker

I read from a Japanese website that peace-taming doesn't work on Cu-Sidhe's and Reptalons. PM breaks off immediately when their anger cycle starts.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Angering them doesn't break the peace. A peaced critter will take a step towards you when you anger it, but it won't attack. Just maintain your two step distance. Enough damage will break peacing, try and not hit the critter when you anger it and auto swing back.

It all has to do with the barding difficulty it seems. The higher the barding difficulty the faster they break the peace.

Hmmm.... what about discording them first then ?
Would this effectively make the peacing last longer ? How much longer ?

Has anyone ever tried Discording first and then Peace Taming ?

That said, I usually use my stealth tamer for taming so I just lead tame everything like I always have. I take the bard tamer out when I go farm mares, though. Much easier.

How does stealth taming work ?
Trying to tame does not un-hide you and therefore make yourself attackable ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, your statement is a little too definite. You can peace-tame a greater. It's the way I've done every one I've tamed. It's difficult, takes time, patience and lots of concentration, but it *can* be done.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read from a Japanese website that peace-taming doesn't work on Cu-Sidhe's and Reptalons. PM breaks off immediately when their anger cycle starts.
*Shrug*

I use to peace tame them and they certainly can be peace tamed. They, like other things do not just sit there docile while you stand next to them angering them. They can move so you must move, but they also can not pursue you as normal if you get outside a certain radius until Peacemaking wears off.

What I came to the conclusion of was the tamables that do not have a ranged attack AND do not have a movement modifier for mounted Tamers (Hiryu family) then you might just as well lead tame them. In the case of the Hyru, I just chose to not mess with them. I beat them down with something then Peace them then lead tame them around.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Discoing first does help. It also helps get that peace off on the harder critters.

For the greater dragons, I just found peacing unreliable enough. I beat them down then go for the lead taming.

Stealth on a tamer is great for scouting out all your options to see if there is anything you want to tame. It can get you into hard to reach areas too. Using animal lore doesn't reveal you, but taming will. So depending on what all is in the area of that I want to tame, I'll either a) embrace honor and try to tame it if I think I can get it in one to two tries, or attack and lead the critter off away from everything else. b) just pop out and attack and lead the critter off for safe taming. c) just tame it if the spot looks good enough.

You can mount an ethy while hidden, but cannot stealth mounted, so you don't have to stay on foot when you pop out to do what you have to do.

Hiding is a nice skill when you're trying to break targeting after leading something to a quiet location. Just have to be so many tiles away to be able to do it, and if you keep moving, you'll be out of range or you can stop dead. Any which way you use it there, you hide, stealth back up and start your tame attempt.

I got many a dread warhorse during the vanguard thing by going to rarely hunted spots and stealthing up, boloing the vanguard, running off to hide again, coming back and leading the warhorse off just enough so I could tame it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiding is a nice skill when you're trying to break targeting after leading something to a quiet location. Just have to be so many tiles away to be able to do it, and if you keep moving, you'll be out of range or you can stop dead. Any which way you use it there, you hide, stealth back up and start your tame attempt.

I got many a dread warhorse during the vanguard thing by going to rarely hunted spots and stealthing up, boloing the vanguard, running off to hide again, coming back and leading the warhorse off just enough so I could tame it.

How high one needs hiding to 100% succesfully hide in the open and with a wild beast targeting ? Has to be 100 hiding and not less ?

At GM hiding one can hide reliably always in any case and under every circumstance ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, your statement is a little too definite. You can peace-tame a greater. It's the way I've done every one I've tamed. It's difficult, takes time, patience and lots of concentration, but it *can* be done.
I'm glad you've been able to pull it off, Petra. Show's what a noob I am.

O

Orlacc

I can confirm peace taming GDs and Cu Sidhes. It's the only way I tame em.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have peaced tames Cu's and Reps for years.

Set a macro to area peace and hot key it.
Set macro to tame last target....target Cu.
hit tame then hit peace macro. This breaks aggression instantly, but you have to wait for the skill timer to try again.

I find it isa great way to practice lead taming which, once you have it down, is truly the only way to tame. Now I only use the peace macro if I lead tame myself into a corner or up against another aggressive!

M

milk

cu sidhe is actually not a problem. Thought we have always tamed it with two people's effort but I can see myself doing it alone just fine if I were elf. Greater Dragon is a complete different story. the reason for that is Cu Sidhe doesn't 1 hit Ko you with a full health fire breath. And Cu Sidhe is SO much easier to peace for a good amount of time. Angering high level beast is inevitable, and you are supposed to tame and run 2 tiles away as soon as you hit your taming on the creature regardless what hte outcome is. IF you do this, then normally they can't hit you even you anger them, and if the attempt is successful, 2-3 tiles is still within taming range.

For greater dragon, the only safe way I can thinking of is high honor taming. Even with lead taming, sometimes fire breath can still be devasting.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have peace tamed also it can be done ! But you better be on the ball and paying attention or you will be the next snack!
I now use honor mostly with peace if honor is to low!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh, that's why I mostly do it near Valor, in nice handy reach of the healer hut.

It's true there are easier ways of doing it, but they don't come with same sense of satisfaction and achievement when you succeed.

Paul Harvey

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, I never peace tame Cu Sidhe's , I lead tame them, you can stay just ahead of them. its easy. As for the harder creatures such as Rune Beetles and GD's I use peace taming and I never beat anything down in health. Used to be if you attacked a creature it would lose more in stats than if you tamed it without hurting it.(not sure if thats still the case)
A Little Tip. I use area peace for them greater dragons. Sure it only lasts a couple of seconds but that is long enough to run up for a taming attempt or if beast gets angry to hit area peace once again and run. Use invis and heals as needed, be quick on your feet.

M

maroite

I don't peace tame, but what I have seen of it, it takes longer than my normal method. -.- But it can be done. I have heard that area peacing is the way to do it. (Target yourself for the peacing.)

but...

I solo tame everything, including GD's and seldom do I die, unless I catch a very bad combination attack from a GD. Or lag. It generally takes me no more than 5 mins.

Only need magery and use the enhanced client for this.

Find said tame you want.

Target it using the EC targeting.

Pre cast invis.

Run up to said tame.

Spam tame hot key.

When you finally start to tame, invis yourself. If its something that can reveal just move a bit and reinvis if it reveals you.

Usually I will just continually cast invis, and wait for the thing to aggro on me, then invis before it starts to move, and repeat.

I have tamed uncountable amounts of dangerous things solo this way. Currently I have about 7 4 star + Greaters in my stables, and I gave a 4.2 away last night.

I tamed upward of 50 Dread Warhorses during the shadowlord arc using this method.

Sometimes it can be a pain, if you continually fail, and you have to know when its best to run away/invis/heal and go back. Like if you get hit with a fireball, or your health is getting to around 70ish hp.