• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paying to much for EA

P

Pauline

I have 2 accounts which I both pay for. Now everyone from USA pays $9,99 right? I pay in euro's and I pay €10,99.
€10,99 is about $16...

Anyone else having this problem? Please let me know, I have tried to contact ea support but they just wont answer me. Letting me pay more just because I dont live in the USA doesn't really seem fair to me!

Edit: Please do not misunderstand me. I dont mind paying because the game is MORE than worth it. I just don't see why I should pay more than others for EXACTLY the same product.

Therefore, I ask people who agree on this matter and would like to do something about it, to contact me trough PM or ingame.

E

Emilian

I'm from Romania (we're in the EU since January 2007) and I've always been paying $9.99 ever since I started playing TSO back in 2004 or something...

P

Pauline

really? so theyre not overcharging you..hmm, this is getting less fair every minute

C

Catwoman1966

I have 3 accounts and I have to pay £7.99 per month for each, which is equivalent to 15 USD per account, per month!!!
This is way more than the people in America pay and I don't think it's right that we here in the UK have to pay more.

Cat.

P

Pauline

I totally agree cat. We all should stick together and try to find a solution for this. Apparantly ea wont listen to me, but what if we try with more people? Maybe they will listen to us then?

C

Catwoman1966

We should all make a stand, I think it's disgusting how some of us are being charged WAY more than others!!!

Cat.

P

Pauline

As said before, I tried contacting EA, but still haven't gotten a reply to my question. And yes Cat, they wont listen to us individually, thats why I made this topic. Changing us too much isn't fair at all.

All we need is the right person to talk to..

G

Thank the European government for deciding that internet services are taxable, in the point of receipt, not the point of delivery.

I recently got hit in Second Life by a 17.5% (UK tax) increase in my monthly fees, because of this - and EA have been doing it for the last 5 years.

As much as EA are usually at fault for many things, part of the difference between US and European pricing is not one of them. They have to charge European players tax on top of the monthly fee, despite the service being provided from the US.

Read more about it here.

Why EA have never charged European players the $ rate and let the credit card convert, I don't know ... the original price is set from way back when the US$ was actually a strong currency and has never been changed to reflect that it's about $2:£1 now.

P

Pauline

This still, as you said, does not explain why they have not set their currencies right. Although yes I pay taxes over it, the €10,99 is still not right

G

You think EA should lower the European subscription so it levels out to equal what American players pay?

I ask why should EA take a loss in revenue because your government is greedy and taxes everything?

Not EA's problem. Write your equivalent of a senator and complain about it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You think EA should lower the European subscription so it levels out to equal what American players pay?

I ask why should EA take a loss in revenue because your government is greedy and taxes everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

The taxation part of it EA can't do much about - it's European Union law.

However, the difference between what US and European players pay before tax is added has always been different - because EA don't take into account the currency conversion.

$9.99 is around €6.57 euro. Let's look at this the other way... €10.99 for us is the same as american players having to pay $16.68 a month. Would you just sit back and take that increase? I very much doubt it.

The European 'base charge' was set 5 years ago before the dollar lost so much value, and has never been adjusted to compensate. If the charge had been in US$ in the first place worldwide and allowed the credit card to deal with the currency conversion, we wouldn't be having this conversation again.

I've been bringing it up for 5 years and EA have never addressed or even acknowledged the problem.

P

Pauline

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would definitely expect an answer like this, surely, it's not your problem is it?

the prices given by Ea (the €10,99) are the prices WITHOUT taxes, these are added later on. I agree that ea doesn't have to suffer losses because of our government. but setting the price (without taxes) equal to the dollar price, that would be just fair.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I would definitely expect an answer like this, surely, it's not your problem is it?

the prices given by Ea (the €10,99) are the prices WITHOUT taxes, these are added later on. I agree that ea doesn't have to suffer losses because of our government. but setting the price (without taxes) equal to the dollar price, that would be just fair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to agree, since it doesn't cost EA anymore to host European players than it does American players.
OTOH - I can't see EA giving up free money.
Maybe a note to your Foreign Trade Ministry?

I

Inge Jones

Oh, so they are definitely discriminating against non-Americans? I have only just got over the idea that I was denied founder-membership because they wouldn't let Brits play at all. Now I am faced with this realisation. I am not very happy right now.

G

you really think EA wants to sit around and figure out a new price every month based on the current conversion rate? right... its easier to just keep the flat rate. its not like they adjust the US rate for inflation or anything.

seriously... if I am getting something from overseas I expect to pay more than I would for something in the US. If you don't want to pay more then don't pay at all, I honestly think it would be a waste of time to try and change it. Of course, you are all free to waste your time as you wish. Good luck with that.

I

Inge Jones

Normally when I pay for a service in the US, the price is in dollars, that's the amount I pay, and PayPal or my credit card takes care of the translation, not the supplier. So I will pay more or less each month depending on the exchange rate that month. That seems fair.

G

<blockquote><hr>

you really think EA wants to sit around and figure out a new price every month based on the current conversion rate? right... its easier to just keep the flat rate. its not like they adjust the US rate for inflation or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
They don't need to do a thing every month. Charge $9.99 to a credit card, and the credit card company will convert it into the local currency which to me is about £5. Every other company manages to figure this out, so why is it so hard for EA?

<blockquote><hr>

seriously... if I am getting something from overseas I expect to pay more than I would for something in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are paying for international shipping then sure, of course you would pay more than local delivery in your own country. But we're talking about an internet service that costs no more for EA to provide whether the user is round the block or half way around the world.

<blockquote><hr>

If you don't want to pay more then don't pay at all, I honestly think it would be a waste of time to try and change it. Of course, you are all free to waste your time as you wish. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you think it's a waste of time, it doesn't affect you. If you were paying more than european players because TSO was based in Europe then I'm quite, quite sure there would be a lot more complaining about how it's unfair.

European users have been treated as second class citizens ever since the first Beta was released - as others have already mentioned the non-Founder status, the extra costs, delayed then cancelled international release, lack of local support, the list goes on.

EA need to think beyond the east and west coast, and maybe correct some of the mistakes they made 5 years ago when they cancelled the worldwide release. Then things might work out.

Over 70% of the Second Life playerbase is from outside of the US. Without non-US players, Second Life probably wouldn't be economically viable for Linden Lab to run. TSO failed because of lack of numbers - and why? Because pretty much the whole of the rest of the world was, and is still being, ignored. As much as some may try and wish against it, EA *needs* the rest of the world if "EA-Land" is going to grow, regardless of whatever other changes they might make.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Normally when I pay for a service in the US, the price is in dollars, that's the amount I pay, and PayPal or my credit card takes care of the translation, not the supplier. So I will pay more or less each month depending on the exchange rate that month. That seems fair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, I can understand the viability of that if it is not EA doing the translation. If it is as easy and getting EA to allow someone to do that, like paypal, then I change my mind - THAT, I think may be something that would be worth asking for.

G

<blockquote><hr>

ok, I can understand the viability of that if it is not EA doing the translation. If it is as easy and getting EA to allow someone to do that, like paypal, then I change my mind - THAT, I think may be something that would be worth asking for.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I've been trying to say all the way along... glad you agree at last.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The taxation part of it EA can't do much about - it's European Union law.

However, the difference between what US and European players pay before tax is added has always been different - because EA don't take into account the currency conversion.

$9.99 is around €6.57 euro. Let's look at this the other way... €10.99 for us is the same as american players having to pay $16.68 a month. Would you just sit back and take that increase? I very much doubt it.

The European 'base charge' was set 5 years ago before the dollar lost so much value, and has never been adjusted to compensate. If the charge had been in US$ in the first place worldwide and allowed the credit card to deal with the currency conversion, we wouldn't be having this conversation again.

I've been bringing it up for 5 years and EA have never addressed or even acknowledged the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the justification for this is because the game was never *officially* released in Europe, or any other country than the USA besides Japan. Beta players got in, and other players got in when the free trial was put out, but customer service was never extended to those countries without the caller being willing to pay for the toll calls. I'd be curious to find a Japanese player and find out what they pay in Yen and see if it adjusts each month to whatever the Yen is worth against the USD, and whether or not they get the same toll-free customer service that the US does, not that the customer service is exemplary in the US, either.

This issue has been brought up several times over the last 6 years on the boards, and it's always been a 'shut up and deal with it, or quit' kind of response from anybody that answered, or no answer at all was given, so it does indeed look like it's just a bitter pill to swallow, or you spit the pill out....they're not gonna change it at this stage of the game, I reckon....it would cost too much in manpower or generation of software to convert the money each month and charge the customers accordingly since the value probably changes weekly if not daily.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This issue has been brought up several times over the last 6 years on the boards, and it's always been a 'shut up and deal with it, or quit' kind of response from anybody that answered

[/ QUOTE ]
... no doubt every person giving that answer is in the US and isn't affected by the problem.

G

Yet another fine example of how the EU as a collective government was a bad idea...

Okay, all politics aside - I'm having trouble getting my head around this issue. I understand that EA must charge VAT to all EU players (it was either that, or deny service to all European players). However, I'm not making any sense of the differences in subscription fees. Is it true that EA is charging European players a flat fee in Euros?

This seems like such an easy problem to work around: Simply get a credit card that is drawn from a US bank and bears a Visa or Mastercard logo. Or are they "adjusting" your subscription based on your billing address?

I do agree, something smells a tad fishy with this arrangement.

G

<blockquote><hr>

European users have been treated as second class citizens ever since the first Beta was released - as others have already mentioned the non-Founder status, the extra costs, delayed then cancelled international release, lack of local support, the list goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have founder status on two accounts and I'm a Brit. Beta was open to players in UK and Europe and for those of us that chose to stay on once the game was released officially in the states, EA found a way for us to continue playing, despite the cancellation of the European release.

I've never expected local support and in 5 and a half years of playing, I've never needed it.

I don't feel like I've been treated as a second class citizen and for that reason its been my choice to continue to pay and play.

If anyone feels they have been treated as a second class citizen and despite this has continued to pay and allow themselves to be treated in such a manner, then they only have themselves to blame.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yet another fine example of how the EU as a collective government was a bad idea...

Okay, all politics aside - I'm having trouble getting my head around this issue. I understand that EA must charge VAT to all EU players (it was either that, or deny service to all European players). However, I'm not making any sense of the differences in subscription fees. Is it true that EA is charging European players a flat fee in Euros?

This seems like such an easy problem to work around: Simply get a credit card that is drawn from a US bank and bears a Visa or Mastercard logo. Or are they "adjusting" your subscription based on your billing address?

I do agree, something smells a tad fishy with this arrangement.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been suggested before that European players do this, but I've been told that alot of the prepaid companies especially if they are based in the US WILL actually deny services to anybody outside the US, so getting a card that draws US funds might be harder than it sounds. I *think* Paypal will, but there's been big problems with players paying with Paypal lately, and I have been told that Paypal will not issue their debit cards to non-US players either, which also sucks. They should either allow the cards to be issued, or they should not allow people outside the US to have a Paypal account. Unfortunately, telling EA that would end up with alot of players being cut off, and they cannot afford to lose that kind of revenue, just like they cannot afford to lose the revenue from adjusting the fees every month. I would imagine that would be an accounting NIGHTMARE, as it was for us when we had our business and would give discounts for one reason or another. On a large-scale basis like EA they'd have to hire 2 maybe 3 accountants to do taxes when it was time to pay the pipers.

I

imported_corpatortis

I live in Canada about 2 hours north of the USA border and I pay $15 plus tax a month on my credit card. It has always been this way whether the Canadian dollar was $.70 or $1.10 compared to USD.

Just like I pay $15 more (including currency) for the same brands of alcohol and even more than that for same brands of clothing, cars and other items.

It's nothing new. Even though you are, in a sense, buying the service in USA you are buying it from [insert country] so the rates will be the same as buying a USA made product in [insert country] as opposed to in the states. Consider it an outlet store none of us have access to.

G

TSO costs about 17 bucks a month here...

I get enough discrimination as it is, and now THIS?! Ohemgee.

Boo hoo me...

I

imported_corpatortis

Also - If you think you are paying too much then.. *slow sigh* stop paying as opposed to being bewildered for months. Or years in some people's cases.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Also - If you think you are paying too much then.. *slow sigh* stop paying as opposed to being bewildered for months. Or years in some people's cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting EA continue to discriminate and overcharge non-US players is NOT the answer.

Fixing it so everyone has the ability to pay the same regardless of where in the world they live IS the answer.

G

<blockquote><hr>

yes also 10,99 Eur for germans

[/ QUOTE ]

I think UK was £7.99 last time I remember - because we don't use the Euro, but it converts to about the same as you are paying, give or take a few cents.

I

Inge Jones

Well I tried to play as soon as the game was released, and it told me I couldn't play based on my location. Maybe you knew how to get around that.

P

Pauline

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting EA continue to discriminate and overcharge non-US players is NOT the answer.

Fixing it so everyone has the ability to pay the same regardless of where in the world they live IS the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally someone that gets my ppoint. There is always gonna be people who disagree, simply because they think we are whining and it's not their problem anyways.
I still think, chargin gus 9,99USD and letting our credit company change it into proper currencies AND adding the taxes, which they will. IS the one and only right answer. Now we need to find someone that can make this happen.
Because yes, this IS discrimination!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Now we need to find someone that can make this happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

There inlies the problem though. There are plenty of us who agree it does suck, even some of us in the US that aren't affected, but according to EA they had 'legitimate' reasons for this, so the only way you're going to be able to show them that they don't is some kind of class-action lawsuit (that's what we call it here when a group of people get together and sue for the same thing, not sure how your legal system works) together, and THEN find whatever the equivalent of a attorney is that wants the publicity so would be willing to take the case on contingency, meaning that he wouldn't charge you anything until you received damages from EA. In America we have an organization called the ACLU that loves cases like this, but I'm not sure if you have anything like that in your country, or if persons from different countries can get together on one lawsuit. I know they can inside the US from different states, but you'd have to find out the applicable laws from your country.

That's the only way you're going to effect a change, but realize by doing this if you do receive damages from EA, this could be what causes them to close the doors totally on TSO, since the damages you are paid would probably come out of TSO's profits, which would undoubtedly make it unprofitable again....so you'd have to weigh how important it is to fight a cause that winning might affect everybody in a negative way....also known as negative success

P

Pauline

thats the whole point, I do not want to start a law suit, although I'm a 100% sure of winning. I want to solve this the easy way

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally someone that gets my ppoint. There is always gonna be people who disagree, simply because they think we are whining and it's not their problem anyways.
I still think, chargin gus 9,99USD and letting our credit company change it into proper currencies AND adding the taxes, which they will. IS the one and only right answer. Now we need to find someone that can make this happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this all to be incredibly hilarious. Mainly the part where you are excited that AJ agrees with you.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

thats the whole point, I do not want to start a law suit, although I'm a 100% sure of winning. I want to solve this the easy way

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi I'm here because I'm paying for something that I don't need to and instead of cancelling it on the first bill, I kept paying and even got an extra account. I wish to sue not for my money back.. but for them to lower my prices!"

I doubt your chances

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this all to be incredibly hilarious. Mainly the part where you are excited that AJ agrees with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I agree with the "unfairness" part - since it could be easily rectified (damn - I almost said "rectumized" - lucky I caught it in time.
), but I gotta say:
Jackie? LMFAO!!
You da man..... uh... I mean....
Aw hell, you know whut I mean.
(wipes the chicken noodle soup off the monitor)

K

knotter02

lol jackie i agree!

i was reading this and the whole time i was thinking WOW! are you being serious?!?! no this is not my problem with the whole money thing and yes i do think that you guys should pay the same as what we pay. so i do agree with you guys. but what gets me is that you guys are throwing in the race card! ok im sure that if you really go and talk to the ea game people that they arent making you guys pay more money just because you arent from the usa. and im sure that they are not ignoring you they are really busy about other people complaining about who knows what.

all i have to say is CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!?!

I

Inge Jones

I have no intention of bothering to get involved in a dispute, legal or otherwise, over this small difference. However, it is something that leaves a sour taste, and does nothing to foster cross-continental goodwill.

P

philw1

Throw all the TSO disks into the ocean. Seems to have worked for us 200 or so years ago. Taxation Without Representation Is Tyranny!!!

P

Pauline

I was just here to ask if someone shared this same problem, and to ask if there was something we could do about it.
The answers I got, most of them are just sad.. People, if you don't care, or disagree, it's ok. But please leave others for what they are and mind your own business then!

G

so you only wanted people who had the same feeling on this matter to respond? I guess then if someone posted that they didn't want say anyone from EU to play and only people who felt the same way could respond, that wouldn't bother you?

unfortunetly on boards like this, if you post your comments you're going to get pro's and con's and sometimes wacked harder than you wanted.

P

Pauline

<blockquote><hr>

so you only wanted people who had the same feeling on this matter to respond? I guess then if someone posted that they didn't want say anyone from EU to play and only people who felt the same way could respond, that wouldn't bother you?

unfortunetly on boards like this, if you post your comments you're going to get pro's and con's and sometimes wacked harder than you wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how these boards work, and I also know how they are SUPPOSED to work. Unfortunately some people don't.

As for this matter, anyone who would like to help me out and make the pricings the same all around the world, please send me a private message.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was just here to ask if someone shared this same problem, and to ask if there was something we could do about it.
The answers I got, most of them are just sad.. People, if you don't care, or disagree, it's ok. But please leave others for what they are and mind your own business then!

[/ QUOTE ]
I see where a lot of folks agree with you, and not all are from Europe.
But, surely you didn't expect universal agreement? Different people look at issues from different perspectives. What seems obvious to some is quite obscure to others.
Look at it from the "lemonade" point of view. You not only found out that your opinion is not unique, but you got some insight as to how others feel about it. Seeing it from as many sides as possible is the first step toward a workable solution.