• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Passive revealing

M

Monkey

My first rant that I've ever posted, here goes!

I've been into RP PVP for years now. It's great. No bickering about items, no super-fast combo drops on my person which leaves me wondering what the bleep just happened. Formations and teamwork that actually comes to its fruition. What more can you ask for?

Well, several game mechanics have altered the most enjoyable playstyle I've ever tried. The assassin. I used to be able to sneak up to people 99% of the time and actually get a SURPRISE opening on them. By surprise I mean, getting the first blow in where only AFTER that they're aware of my presence.

That seems gone now, I can't go near a single orange anymore, I'm too afraid to, as soon as I step into a 3-tile radius, I back the hell away just to avoid being passively detected, and not just by elves either. It's getting absolutely ridiculous, the amount of times I've tried (even at 120 stealth!) to get close to someone only to get revealed at a 4-tile distance which initiates their response and they've got enough time to get away or arm up. Completely pointless

I've been doing this for about six years now, I've watched how the simple hide/stealth assassin who had to get lucky with its poison, has slowly evolved into one with frustrating template choices, which of course compliments its role quite well, as once you waste your mana, there's generally no way to finish the job anymore and you've got to bail out. But this detecting nonsense is slowly but surely getting to me. To get detected often at 80 stealth is understandable, but please, when players don't have more than 20 detect hidden, PLEASE allow for 120 stealth to be sufficient in remaining STEALTHED for more than just 30% of the time like it's the case now.

That said, I'm perfectly aware about shadowjump. But I'd like to finally see it fixed where you can succesfully use it in the vicinity of player houses.

K

Kiminality

That said, I'm perfectly aware about shadowjump. But I'd like to finally see it fixed where you can succesfully use it in the vicinity of player houses.
I basically agree, especially with the quoted part, which pisses me off on all templates with any manner of teleport.

I'm sure someone's going to come in here and agree with you, and hyperbole that passive reveal should be removed completely, which is so shouldn't. But you're right that it's too effective with just elf or JoaT.
But then, passive reveal completely revealing you is pretty crappy.

E

Evlar

PLEASE allow for 120 stealth to be sufficient in remaining STEALTHED for more than just 30% of the time like it's the case now.
Totally agree with this. 120 stealth is pretty pointless otherwise.

M

Monkey

I know it's likely not a big issue for a lot of people, hence the small amount of replies, but it's an issue none the less. There's no reason to make pure assassins a dying breed in the game, forcing them to just invest skillpoints elsewhere.

I've gone from 80 to 120 stealth, and from 120 back to just 80 again because the difference in remaining stealthed isn't all that great, and that's around people with the 20 point racial bonus.

What's left then, getting 120 stealth just for those 4 points of extra deathstrike damage? It's insane. Or at least, as I said, fix shadowjump around player housing. You know, where the majority of PvP takes place.

My RP template is already cramped up in such a way where I need to sacrifice healing and mana regeneration, I'd want some reliability in stealth at least without being constantly overly worried about missing out on the first surprise hit.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the devs don't read this forum.
Maybe taking this to Uhall, or a relevant class forum would make for better coverage.
Also, either a post to "ask the devs" or submission in the next "House of Commons"

M

Monkey

I think the devs don't read this forum.
Maybe taking this to Uhall, or a relevant class forum would make for better coverage.
Also, either a post to "ask the devs" or submission in the next "House of Commons"
Thanks, submitted it a few times in the past already, though that didn't do any good apparently. I'll see if it's worth bringing up in UOHall.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first rant that I've ever posted, here goes!

I've been into RP PVP for years now. It's great. No bickering about items, no super-fast combo drops on my person which leaves me wondering what the bleep just happened. Formations and teamwork that actually comes to its fruition. What more can you ask for?

Well, several game mechanics have altered the most enjoyable playstyle I've ever tried. The assassin. I used to be able to sneak up to people 99% of the time and actually get a SURPRISE opening on them. By surprise I mean, getting the first blow in where only AFTER that they're aware of my presence.

That seems gone now, I can't go near a single orange anymore, I'm too afraid to, as soon as I step into a 3-tile radius, I back the hell away just to avoid being passively detected, and not just by elves either. It's getting absolutely ridiculous, the amount of times I've tried (even at 120 stealth!) to get close to someone only to get revealed at a 4-tile distance which initiates their response and they've got enough time to get away or arm up. Completely pointless

I've been doing this for about six years now, I've watched how the simple hide/stealth assassin who had to get lucky with its poison, has slowly evolved into one with frustrating template choices, which of course compliments its role quite well, as once you waste your mana, there's generally no way to finish the job anymore and you've got to bail out. But this detecting nonsense is slowly but surely getting to me. To get detected often at 80 stealth is understandable, but please, when players don't have more than 20 detect hidden, PLEASE allow for 120 stealth to be sufficient in remaining STEALTHED for more than just 30% of the time like it's the case now.

Re-hide after you get where you want to stand for any length of time. Passive reveal only works on someone in stealth mode, not hide mode.