• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Parry Mage Question.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everybody,

I am trying to create an effective parry mage template. If I have the following template (see below), a mage weapon, and 70% defense chance increase; would parry give me a significant aid against dexxers? I have a hard time fighting against dexxers with just a mage weapon and 70% defense chance increase. Suggestions are welcome.

[Template]:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Poison
100 Inscribe
100 Meditation
90 Parry

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always hard to build a parry mage due to the skill points needed AND the high Dexterity requirement needed to maximise benefits.
If you have max DCI AND Parry this will give you a significant advantage over your average dexxer.

Now i'm sure your aware to get the most out of parry you'll need a minimum of 80 DEX, so take this into account (after a curse for example)
Currently you would have a 22% chance of parrying with 90 Parry, by bumping this up to 100 you'll have a 30% chance.
My advice would be if you have no skill points left bump Parry up to 100 and drop Med to 90 and get some more MR on your suit to compensate.

My advice to all when experimenting with templates is to try them out on test shard first that way you won't be wasting time and possibly gold with a template you don't like. Basically get a dexxer with max HCI to hit away and see what happens.

T

Trompe Le Monde

I run an oldschool parry mage template that has NO problem with dexxers.

120 Wrestle
120 Parry
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
!20 Resist

Like Hex said, keeping Dex at 80+ is imperative. Poison, imo, isn't a good mix with a parry mage. The majority of dexers chug, or/and aid, or have resist, and mostly have poison themselves... so it really wont aid you much in combat. For mage duels it might help, but if your a parry mage you should probably steer clear of those :) This wont be your strong point.

Wrestle is the key here, since almost all dexers disarm spam mages. Normally i'll just stand toe to toe with someone and harm spam them to oblivion. You can disarm and parablow them, and pull out some decent combos.
My favorite thing to do against dexers, is just poison them repeatedly until theyve burnt through 30 cure pots, and run crying all the way to their house.

Anyways, this temp doesnt have any killer offensive power, but I honestly am not scared of ANY dexer on my shard, and thats including all these throwers with hit fireball and mortal spam and crap, and I dont even chug pots whatsoever, and im also not even that great of a mage. Normally the really big dawg dexers on my shard give up cuz they cant kill me, and i cant kill them through all their chugging; or they run out of puts and then run away. Normally the latter. They always come back do some LOL PARRY MAGE crap or something, but Rarely attack you again, cuz they dont like it when mages dont run like a chicken when theyre dismounted and disarmed.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could be wrong but dont you need tactics to use disarm and para from wrestling?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, first problem is, you listed a total of 750 skill points, when the cap is 720. What items are you using to boost your skills? You can drop Poisoning down to 80, since you only need a combination of 200+ between Magery+Poisoning for DP.
You could run with 100/50/105 naturally, then reforge +5 DEX onto 6 pieces of armor, and get the 80 DEX needed for Parry that way. Or simply chugging a Greater Agility Potion with +50% EP works for awhile (old +50% EP Ecru Citrine Rings work great for this).
The new Hephaestus shield could bring you up to GM Parry.
But like said before, the problem with using a Mage Wep, is that Warriors are going to Disarm and eat you. Wrest is the only real defense against it.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, first problem is, you listed a total of 750 skill points, when the cap is 720. What items are you using to boost your skills? You can drop Poisoning down to 80, since you only need a combination of 200+ between Magery+Poisoning for DP.
You could run with 100/50/105 naturally, then reforge +5 DEX onto 6 pieces of armor, and get the 80 DEX needed for Parry that way. Or simply chugging a Greater Agility Potion with +50% EP works for awhile (old +50% EP Ecru Citrine Rings work great for this).
The new Hephaestus shield could bring you up to GM Parry.
But like said before, the problem with using a Mage Wep, is that Warriors are going to Disarm and eat you. Wrest is the only real defense against it.
Why are older EP rings different?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why are older EP rings different?
Ecru Citrine Rings can no longer be crafted with 50% EP, unfortunately. So the older ones which do have 50% EP are much better to quickly swap on and off for a Greater Strength/Agility pot chug.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since when?
I would also like to know since when? I'll admit i havent tried to craft one in the last year or so, but i've read no changes as to crafting the 50 ep rings. I know there was a change made to not be able to imbue over weight ep 50 rings, but nothing about crafting them.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made about 15-20 Ecru Citrine Rings about 2 months ago, and not a single one had above 20% EP.