• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Parry isn't that great?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
120 bush/60parry
dreadhorn no counter attack.jpg

120/120 bushido parry
Failed to parry.jpg

I tested out 120 bushido and 120 parry. It doesn't seem worth it. I thought 40% block chance means I'd block 40% of the hits coming in.....nope! Dreadhorn killed me both times when I went with a 120/120 build. I was able to trigger CA twice but only after being hit 15 plus times.

I also tested 120/60 parry and the entire 7 min didn't get one successful CA so I guess that means I didn't parry either. I was successful in killing DH but that's because 100 anatomy let me leech enough HP back.

Counter attack says "next successful parry." Well, look at my screen shot, 25 second of waiting for CA to trigger and not a single parry.

So what is 120 bushido really good for? You get to perfection faster but with double strike that isn't an issue. CA seems useless. Confidence seems weak if you aren't parrying either...

Please tell me if you think I'm wrong because I'd sure as hell like to know why Im not parrying 40% of incoming hits.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
There are some of us that were convinced that the % chance to hit algorithm was changed recently (FWIW, it seems to have changed back - no more 3 misses in a row against slimes). I suppose they changed the % chance to block algorithm too, but since it is much harder to actually figure out when you're parrying attacks, we've been slower to complain.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You may use 80 Bushido + 100 LJ instead of 120 Bushido + 60 Parry.
Ya that's what I reverted back to. I did some spreadsheet math and figured that if I could get CA off once every 6 seconds (with 120/120 build), then id be doing the same damage + blocking 40% of hits. That wasn't the case though. =(

I'm just a little surprised by the results of my limited testing because the mass majority of sampires I see/read about probably run 120bush/60parry. Figured maybe that build was better because of CA and parry....plus all the other bushido skills/benefits. I was hoping someone would say CA only triggers on 20% of the parries...then maybe I can get on board with parry just for the damage reduction. Definitely would be nice if it were more obvious when I parried an attack. It would be easier to conduct further testing that way.

I do notice against the blackthorn macer, you can hear when your attack gets parried. Not sure why I can't hear it when I do the parrying instead.

Last edited:

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ya that's what I reverted back to. I did some spreadsheet math and figured that if I could get CA off once every 6 seconds (with 120/120 build), then id be doing the same damage + blocking 40% of hits. That wasn't the case though. =(

I'm just a little surprised by the results of my limited testing because the mass majority of sampires I see/read about probably run 120bush/60parry. Figured maybe that build was better because of CA and parry....plus all the other bushido skills/benefits. I was hoping someone would say CA only triggers on 20% of the parries...then maybe I can get on board with parry just for the damage reduction. Definitely would be nice if it were more obvious when I parried an attack. It would be easier to conduct further testing that way.

I do notice against the blackthorn macer, you can hear when your attack gets parried. Not sure why I can't hear it when I do the parrying instead.
I run 20 DCI on my suit (after I cast DF) and CA probably every 3rd or 4th hit

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Intresting, because you should be able to solo dh, with ease, even with 0 parry. do u have enough mana leech to keep up specials ?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Intresting, because you should be able to solo dh, with ease, even with 0 parry. do u have enough mana leech to keep up specials ?
With 120 bushido/120 parry and 40 anatomy, I wasn't able to kill DH. With 120 bushido/60 parry and 100 anatomy, DH was fine since I was leeching enough HP/MP/Stam. With 80 bushido/0 parry/100LJ, it was even easier.

In the end, I think I'm going to go with 120 bushido and 60 LJ. I want to test out the additional benefits that 120 bushido offers: 1) WW damage increase 2) reach perfection easier making *wiffs* less painful and 3) healing with confidence. 60LJ instead of 120 anatomy/40 LJ because I want the 300 skill point mana reduction.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I run 20 DCI on my suit (after I cast DF) and CA probably every 3rd or 4th hit
Did you test that on Dreadhorn specifically? Maybe it depends on the monster I'm fighting? I'm also running about 25-30 DCI and CA barely works against it.

I even tested it on Narvey and CA wasn't consistently triggering within 10 seconds. If I can't trigger CA better than 1x per 6 seconds, I'm doing less damage than 100 LJ build.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I haven't done Dreadhorn in quite awhile, but I do Navrey probly 20 times a week (at least) and those stats come primarily from Navrey and the Underwater Boss. I'll try and do Dreadhorn in the next night or so, but the CA stats I gave definitely apply to Navrey.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
"Parry isn't that great" maybe for CA but parry overall as a skill to dodge hit's parry IS great!.

I would never use 60 parry only against heavy melee mob's,just for the extra comfort of not having to have the "feeling" of you have to be on you're best everytime you fight a heavy melee mob.

Last edited:

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
Let's not forget the benefit of evasion lasting longer with higher parry,which evade's heavy spell attacks also.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"Parry isn't that great" maybe for CA but parry overall as a skill to dodge hit's parry IS great!.

I would never use 60 parry only against heavy melee mob's,just for the extra comfort of not having to have the "feeling" of you have to be on you're best everytime you fight a heavy melee mob.
The point was that if CA isn't activating, I'm not parrying. At 120 bushido and 120 parry, I should be parrying 40% of the time which unfortunately just isn't the case. I made the post both to share my results and hopefully learn from others why they think parry is so good. Evade is definitely something I need to play with and test. I haven't had the chance to do that yet so that might make it worth while.

Does evade only dodge monster spells?

Last edited: